PERSPECTIVE ARTICLE: Why do adaptive immune responses cross-react?
Version of Record online: 8 DEC 2008
© 2008 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2008 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Special Issue: Evolutionary Medicine
Volume 2, Issue 1, pages 122–131, February 2009
How to Cite
Fairlie-Clarke, K. J., Shuker, D. M. and Graham, A. L. (2009), PERSPECTIVE ARTICLE: Why do adaptive immune responses cross-react?. Evolutionary Applications, 2: 122–131. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2008.00052.x
- Issue online: 27 JAN 2009
- Version of Record online: 8 DEC 2008
- Received: 3 October 2008 Accepted: 6 November 2008 First published online: 8 December 2008
- 2007. Cross-immunity, invasion and coexistence of pathogen strains in epidemiological models with one-dimensional antigenic space. Mathematical Biosciences 210:680–699. , and .
- 2006. Cross-protective immunity can account for the alternating epidemic pattern of dengue virus serotypes circulating in Bangkok. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 103:14234–14239. , , , , , , and .
- 1996. Immunological memory and protective immunity: Understanding their relation. Science 272:54–60. , and .
- 2004. Dynamics of T cell activation threshold tuning. Journal of Theoretical Biology 228:397–416. , and .
- 2007. Quantitative theories of T-cell responsiveness. Immunology Reviews 216:81–92. , and .
- 2001. A reliable and safe T cell repertoire based on low-affinity T cell receptors. Journal of Theoretical Biology 209:465–486. , , and .
- 2003. Informational constraints on optimal sex allocation in ants. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 100:8799–8804. , , , , , , and .
- 2002. Memorizing innate instructions requires a sufficiently specific adaptive immune system. International Immunology 14:525–532. , and .
- 1999. How specific should immunological memory be? The Journal of Immunology 163:569–575. , , and .
- 2008. New perspectives for large-scale repertoire analysis of immune receptors. Molecular Immunology 45:2437–2445. , , , , , and .
- 2002. T cell immunodominance and maintenance of memory regulated by unexpectedly cross-reactive pathogens. Nature Immunology 3:627–634. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Facultative sex ratio adjustment in natural populations of wasps: cues of local mate competition and the precision of adaptation. The American Naturalist 172:393–404. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Immunological self-tolerance: lessons from mathematical modeling. Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics 184:77–100. , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Antibody-mediated protection through cross-reactivity introduces a fungal heresy into immunological dogma. Infection and Immunity 75:5074–5078. , and .
- 2005. Information and its use by animals in evolutionary ecology. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 20:187–193. , , , , and .
- 2003. Sequence space localization in the immune system response to vaccination and disease. Physical Review Letters 91:068101. , and .
- 2006. The study of high-affinity TCRs reveals duality in T cell recognition of antigen: specificity and degeneracy. The Journal of Immunology 177:6911–6919. , , , and .
- 2004. Relationship of preexisting dengue virus (DV) neutralizing antibody levels to viremia and severity of disease in a prospective cohort study of DV infection in Thailand. The Journal of Infectious Diseases 189:990–1000. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Increased polyclonal immunoglobulin reactivity toward human and bacterial proteins is associated with clinical protection in human Plasmodium infection. Malaria Journal 4:5. , , , , , , and .
- 2002. Immunology and Evolution of Infectious Disease. Princeton, NJ, Princeton University Press.
- 2007. Hypotheses on the adaptiveness or non-adaptiveness of the directional imprecision in the honey bee’s waggle dance (Hymenoptera : Apidae : Apis mellifera). Entomologia Generalis 29:285–298. , , and .
- 2002. Dynamics and selection of many-strain pathogens. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 99:17209–17214. , and .
- 2007. Monoclonal antibody-mediated enhancement of dengue virus infection in vitro and in vivo and strategies for prevention. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 104:9422–9427. , , , , and .
- 1999. Formal Darwinism, the individual-as-maximizing-agent analogy and bet-hedging. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B-Biological Sciences 266:799–803. .
- 2006. Optimization of inclusive fitness. Journal of Theoretical Biology 238:541–563. .
- 2006. Quantifying influenza vaccine efficacy and antigenic distance. Vaccine 24:3881–3888. , , and .
- 2007. Systematic review and meta-analysis of the interaction between Plasmodium falciparum and Plasmodium vivax in humans. The Journal of Vector Borne Diseases 44:33–43. , and .
- 2002. Innate immune recognition. Annual Review of Immunology 20:197–216. , and .
- 2001. Immunobiology: The Immune System in Health and Disease. Garland Publishing, New York. , , , and .
- 2007. The evolution of bet-hedging adaptations to rare scenarios. Theoretical Population Biology 72:560–575. , and .
- 2006a. Epochal evolution shapes the phylodynamics of interpandemic influenza A (H3N2) in humans. Science 314:1898–1903. , , , and .
- 2006b. Serotype cycles in cholera dynamics. Proceedings of the Royal Society Series B 273:2879–2886. , , and .
- 1999. Away with words: commentary on the Atlan-Cohen essay ‘Immune information, self-organization and meaning’. International Immunology 11:865–870. , and .
- 2004. Methanogenic Archaea and human periodontal disease. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 101:6176–6181. , , , , , and .
- 2008. An adjuvanted, low-dose, pandemic influenza A (H5N1) vaccine candidate is safe, immunogenic, and induces cross-reactive immune responses in healthy adults. The Journal of Infectious Diseases 198:642–649. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Patterns of antigenic diversity and the mechanisms that maintain them. Journal of the Royal Society Interface 4:787–802. , and .
- 2006. Overcoming original antigenic sin to generate new CD8 T cell IFN-gamma responses in an antigen-experienced host. The Journal of Immunology 177:2873–2879. , , , , , , and .
- 2003. Dynamical analysis of a degenerate primary and secondary humoral immune response. Bulletin of Mathematical Biology 65:535–545. , , and .
- 1998. Heterogeneous antibody responses in tuberculosis. Infection and Immunity 66:3936–3940. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Helminth parasites – masters of regulation. Immunological Reviews 201:89–116. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Immune defense and reproductive pace of life in Peromyscus mice. Ecology 88:2516–2528. , , and .
- 2001. Antibody recognition of rodent malaria parasite antigens exposed at the infected erythrocyte surface: specificity of immunity generated in hyperimmune mice. Infection and Immunity 69:2535–2541. , , , , and .
- 2003. Associations between anti-Schistosoma mansoni and anti-Plasmodium falciparum antibody responses and hepatosplenomegaly, in Kenyan schoolchildren. The Journal of Infectious Diseases 187:1337–1341. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Suppression of Plasmodium falciparum by serum collected from a case of Plasmodium vivax infection. Malaria Journal 7:113. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Strategies for the development of vaccines conferring broad-spectrum protection. International Journal of Medical Microbiology 298:379–395. , , and .
- 2003. Serological responses among individuals in areas where both schistosomiasis and malaria are endemic: cross-reactivity between Schistosoma mansoni and Plasmodium falciparum. The Journal of Infectious Diseases 187:1272–1282. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Simulated evolution of antibody gene libraries under pathogen selection. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics 4:3793–3798. , and .
- 1999. How the Immune System Generates Diversity: Pathogen Space Coverage with Random and Evolved Antibody Libraries, Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference. Morgan Kauffman, Orlando, Florida. , and .
- 2006. The expanding realm of heterologous immunity: friend or foe? Cellular Microbiology 8:185–196. , , and .
- 2006. The evolution of adaptive immunity. Annual Review of Immunology 24:497–518. , and .
- 2008. Induction of heterosubtypic immunity to influenza virus by intranasal immunization. Journal of Virology 82:1350–1359. , , , and .
- 2004. Deliberate removal of T cell help improves virus-neutralizing antibody production. Nature Immunology 5:934–942. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. A model for pathogen population structure with cross-protection depending on the extent of overlap in antigenic variant repertoires. Journal of Theoretical Biology 232:363–373. , and .
- 2007. Vaccination and the dynamics of immune evasion. Journal of the Royal Society Interface 4:143–153. , and .
- 2004. Dengue: defining protective versus pathologic immunity. The Journal of Clinical Investigation 113:946–951.
- 2004. Humoral immunity through immunoglobulin M protects mice from an experimental actinomycetoma infection by Nocardia brasiliensis. Infection and Immunity 72:5597–5604. , and .
- 2007. Cross-reactive neuraminidase antibodies afford partial protection against H5N1 in mice and are present in unexposed humans. PLoS Medicine 4:e59. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Amino-acid change on the antigenic region B1 of H3 haemagglutinin may be a trigger for the emergence of drift strain of influenza A virus. Epidemiology and Infection 132:399–406. , , , , , , and .
- 2004. Activation-threshold tuning in an affinity model for the T-cell repertoire. Proceedings of the Royal Society Series B 271:609–616. , , and .
- 2006. High epitope expression levels increase competition between T cells. PLoS Computational Biology 2:e109. , , and .
- 1987. What is bet-hedging?. In P. H.Harvey, and L.Partridge, eds. Oxford Surveys in Evolutionary Biology, pp. 182–211. Oxford, Oxford University Press. , and .
- 2004. Information constraints and the precision of adaptation: sex ratio manipulation in wasps. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 101:10363–10367. , and .
- 1997. Deriving shape space parameters from immunological data. Journal of Theoretical Biology 189:141–150. , , , and .
- 2004. Mapping the antigenic and genetic evolution of influenza virus. Science 305:371–376. , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Models of information use. In D. W.Stephens, J. S.Brown, and R. C.Ydenberg, eds. Foraging: Behavior and Ecology, pp. 31–58. Chicago, University of Chicago Press. .
- 2007. Foraging: Behavior and Ecology. Chicago, University of Chicago Press. , , and .
- 2005. Glassy dynamics in the adaptive immune response prevents autoimmune disease. Physical Review Letters 95:148104. , , and .
- 2006. Do honey bees tune error in their dances in nectar-foraging and house-hunting? Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology 59:571–576. , and .
- 2002. Immunization with heterologous flaviviruses protective against fatal West Nile encephalitis. Emerging Infectious Diseases 8:245–251. , , , , and .
- 2000. Viral subversion of the immune system. Annual Review of Immunology 18:861–926. , , , , and .
- 2005. Heterologous T cell immunity in severe hepatitis C virus infection. The Journal of Experimental Medicine 201:675–680. , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Optimal immune responses: immunocompetence revisited. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 20:665–669. , , and .
- 2006. Ecological and immunological determinants of dengue epidemics. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 103:11802–11807. , and .
- 1999. Imprecision in waggle dances of the honeybee (Apis mellifera) for nearby food sources: error or adaptation? Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology 46:190–199. , and .
- 2002. Constraints in the evolution of sex ratio adjustment. Science 295:1685–1688. , and .
- 2005. The suitability of yellow fever and Japanese encephalitis vaccines for immunization against West Nile virus. Vaccine 23:4785–4792. , , , , , , et al.