Fishery-induced selection on an Alpine whitefish: quantifying genetic and environmental effects on individual growth rate
Article first published online: 17 DEC 2008
© 2008 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2008 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 2, Issue 2, pages 200–208, May 2009
How to Cite
Nusslé, S., Bornand, C. N. and Wedekind, C. (2009), Fishery-induced selection on an Alpine whitefish: quantifying genetic and environmental effects on individual growth rate. Evolutionary Applications, 2: 200–208. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2008.00054.x
- Issue published online: 15 APR 2009
- Article first published online: 17 DEC 2008
- Received: 18 August 2008 Accepted: 20 November 2008
- 2003. Evolutionarily enlightened management. Biological Conservation 111:115–123. , , , , , and .
- 2005. The importance in fishery management of leaving the big ones. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 20:356–358. , and .
- 2008. A review of quantitative genetic components of fitness in salmonids: implications for adaptation to future change. Evolutionary Applications 1:222–238. , and .
- 2008. Seasonal mortality and the effect of body size: a review and an empirical test using individual data on brown trout. Functional Ecology 22:663–673. , , and .
- 1992. Fecundity of humpback whitefish and least cisco in the Chatanika River, Alaska. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 121:268–273. , and .
- 2007. Cold summer temperature regimes cause a recruitment bottleneck in age-0 Colorado River cutthroat trout reared in laboratory streams. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 136:639–654. , and .
- 2007. Fisheries – nets versus nature. Nature 450:179–180.
- 2002. Sustaining fisheries yields over evolutionary time scales. Science 297:94–96. , and .
- 2008. Potential responses to climate change in organisms with complex life histories: evolution and plasticity in Pacific salmon. Evolutionary Applications 1:252–270. , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. Introduction to Quantitative Genetics. Benjamin Cummings, Essex, UK. , and .
- 2008. Ecological and evolutionary consequences of size-selective harvesting: how much do we know? Molecular Ecology 17:209–220. , and .
- 2003. Growth backcalculations based on otoliths incorporating an age effect: adding an interaction term. Journal of Fish Biology 62:1222–1225.
- 1997. ‘‘Risk’’ in fisheries management: a review. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 54:1699–1715. , and .
- 2008. Increase in maturation size after the closure of a high seas gillnet fishery on hatchery-reared chum salmon Oncorhynchus keta. Evolutionary Applications 1:376–387. , and .
- 1970. Life historical consequences of natural selection. The American Naturalist 104:1. , and .
- 2007. A critical review of adaptive genetic variation in Atlantic salmon: implications for conservation. Biological Reviews 82:173–211. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Changes in whitefish scales delta C-13 during eutrophication and reoligotrophication of subalpine lakes. Limnology and Oceanography 51:772–780. , and .
- 2008. Climate change and evolution: disentangling environmental and genetic responses. Molecular Ecology 17:167–178. , , , , and .
- 1995. Predicting microevolutionary responses to directional selection on heritable variation. Evolution 49:241–251. , and .
- 2003. Fisheries-induced trends in reaction norms for maturation in North Sea plaice. Marine Ecology Progress Series 257:247–257. , , , , and .
- 2007. Patterns of growth and nutrient deposition in lake trout (Salvelinus namaycush), brook trout (Salvelinus fontinalis) and their hybrid, F-1 splake (Salvelinus namaycush × Salvelinus fontinalis) as a function of water temperature. Aquaculture Nutrition 13:230–239. , , and .
- 2005. Rapid evolution and the convergence of ecological and evolutionary time. Ecology Letters 8:1114–1127. , , , , and .
- 1977. Gillnet fishery considered as an experiment in artificial selection. Journal of the Fisheries Research Board of Canada 34:954–961. , , and .
- 2008. Evolutionary consequences of fishing and their implications for salmon. Evolutionary Applications 1:388–408. , , , , , , and .
- 1999. Evolution of resource allocation between growth and reproduction in animals with indeterminate growth. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 12:423–429. , and .
- 2002. Estimating reaction norms for age and size at maturation with reconstructed immature size distributions: a new technique illustrated by application to Northeast Arctic cod. ICES Journal of Marine Science 59:562–575. , , and .
- 2008. Evolution of growth in Gulf of St Lawrence cod? Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 275:1111–1112. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Perspective: the pace of modern life: measuring rates of contemporary microevolution. International Journal of Organic Evolution 53:1637–1654. , and .
- 2008. Human influences on rates of phenotypic change in wild animal populations. Molecular Ecology 17:20–29. , , and .
- 2006. Faith-based fisheries. Fisheries 31:554–555.
- 2008. The nature of fisheries- and farming-induced evolution. Molecular Ecology 17:294–313. , and .
- 2008. Consequences of sexual selection for fisheries-induced evolution: an exploratory analysis. Evolutionary Applications 1:129–136. , and .
- 2001. Historical overfishing and the recent collapse of coastal ecosystems. Science 293:629–638. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Low genetic variability in lake populations of brook trout (Salvelinus fontinalis): a consequence of exploitation? Conservation Genetics 2:245–256. , , , and .
- 2007. Ecology – managing evolving fish stocks. Science 318:1247–1248. , , , , , , et al.
- 1983. The measurement of selection on correlated characters. Evolution 37:1210–1226. , and .
- 2000. Fishing, selection, and phenotypic evolution. ICES Journal of Marine Science 57:659–668.
- 2007. Fisheries-induced evolution: present status and future directions. Marine Ecology Progress Series 335:271–277.
- 2002. Density-dependent growth as a key mechanism in the regulation of fish populations: evidence from among-population comparisons. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B: Biological Sciences 269:49–54. , and .
- 2003. Temperature effects on growth and nucleic acids in laboratory-reared larval coregonid fish. Marine Ecology Progress Series 259:285–293. , , and .
- 1998. A simplified formulation for fish production. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 55:478–484. , and .
- 1997. Direct estimates of gear selectivity from multiple tagging experiments. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 54:1–9. , and .
- 1999. La palée du lac de Joux: statistiques de pêche des reproducteurs; âge, croissance et fécondité. Bulletin de la Société Vaudoise des Sciences Naturelles 86:273–296. , and .
- 2001. Evolution – humans as the world’s greatest evolutionary force. Science 293:1786–1790.
- 1992. Ocean Ecology of North Pacific Salmonids. Washington Sea Grant Program: Distributed by the University of Washington Press, Seattle.
- R Development Core Team. 2008. R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. R Development Core Team, Vienna, Austria.
- 1981. Changes in the average size and average age of pacific salmon. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 38:1636–1656.
- 1993. Fisheries as a large-scale experiment on life-history evolution: disentangling phenotypic and genetic effects in changes in maturation and reproduction of North Sea plaice, Pleuronectes platessa L. Oecologia 96:391–401.
- 1995. Determining the onset of sexual maturity from otoliths of individual female North Sea plaice, Pleuronectes platessa L. In D. H.Secor, J. M.Dean, and S. E.Campana, eds. Recent Developments in Fish Otolith Research, pp. 271–282. University of South Carolina Press, Columbia. , and .
- 1990. How does the body-scale model affect back-calculated growth: the example of arctic charr, Salvelinus alpinus (L.), of Lake Geneva (Switzerland). Aquatic Sciences 52:287–295. , and .
- 2008. Evolutionary change in human-altered environments. Molecular Ecology 17:1–8. , and .
- 1992. The Evolution of Life Histories. Oxford University Press, New York.
- 2003. Contemporary evolution meets conservation biology. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 18:94–101. , , and .
- 2000. Fishing as an evolutionary force. Marine Ecology Progress Series 208:307–309. , and .
- 2007. Evolutionary response to size-selective mortality in an exploited fish population. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 274:1015–1022. , , and .
- 2008. Evolution of growth in Gulf of St Lawrence cod: reply to Heino et al. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 275:1113–1115. , , and .
- 2007. Heritability of life-history tactics and genetic correlation with body size in a natural population of brook charr (Salvelinus fontinalis). Journal of Evolutionary Biology 20:2266–2277. , , , and .
- 2007. The influence of eutrophication and population biomass on common whitefish (Coregonus lavaretus) growth – the Lake Constance example revisited. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 64:402–410. , and .
- 1998. Rapid evolution as an ecological process. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 13:329–332.
- 1998. Salmonid life-history evolution as a constraint on marine stock enhancement. Bulletin of Marine Science 62:465–475.
- 2007. Depth-mediated reversal of the effects of climate change on long-term growth rates of exploited marine fish. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 104:7461–7465. , , , and .
- 1995. Age at maturity as a stress indicator in fisheries. BioScience 45:759–771.
- 2006. Maladaptive changes in multiple traits caused by fishing: impediments to population recovery. Ecology Letters 9:142–148. , , , and .
- 2004. Temporal and spatial variation in reproductive investment of Atlantic cod Gadus morhua in the northern North Sea and Scottish west coast. Marine Ecology Progress Series 276:237–248. , and .