PERSPECTIVE: Principles of ecological immunology
Version of Record online: 23 DEC 2008
© 2008 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2008 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Special Issue: Evolutionary Medicine
Volume 2, Issue 1, pages 113–121, February 2009
How to Cite
Sadd, B. M. and Schmid-Hempel, P. (2009), PERSPECTIVE: Principles of ecological immunology. Evolutionary Applications, 2: 113–121. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2008.00057.x
- Issue online: 27 JAN 2009
- Version of Record online: 23 DEC 2008
- Received: 16 October 2008 Accepted: 26 November 2008 First published online: 23 December 2008
- 2003. Examining costs of induced and constitutive immune investment in Tenebrio molitor. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 16:1038–1044. , , , and .
- 2000. Density-dependent prophylaxis in the mealworm beetle Tenebrio molitor L-(Coleoptera : Tenebrionidae): cuticular melanization is an indicator of investment in immunity. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series B – Biological Sciences 267:177–182. , and .
- 2008. Geographic population structure of the immune evasion (var) genes of Plasmodium falciparum. International Journal for Parasitology 38:S38–S39. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. How do adaptive immune systems control pathogens while avoiding autoimmunity? Trends in Ecology & Evolution 21:22–28. , and .
- 2004. Immunocompetence and its costs during development: an experimental study in blue tit nestlings. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series B – Biological Sciences 271:S110–S113.
- 1986. Ectoparasitism as a cost of coloniality in cliff swallows (Hirundo pyrrhonota). Ecology 67:1206–1218. , and .
- 2001. Genetic variation in a host-parasite association: potential for coevolution and frequency-dependent selection. Evolution 55:1136–1145. , , and .
- 2008. Host ecology shapes geographical variation for resistance to bacterial infection in Drosophila melanogaster. Journal of Animal Ecology 77:768–776. , and .
- 2004. Costs of resistance: genetic correlations and potential trade-offs in an insect immune system. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 17:421–429. , , and .
- 2000. Resistance to xenobiotics and parasites: can we count the cost? Trends in Ecology & Evolution 15:378–383. , , and .
- 2005. Host immunity modulates transcriptional changes in a multigene family (yir) of rodent malaria. Molecular Microbiology 58:636–647. , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. Effects of acute thermal stress on the immune system of the Northern Bobwhite (Colinus virginianus). Auk 114:103–109. , , and .
- 1996. Global change and human susceptibility to disease. Annual Review of Energy and the Environment 21:125–144. , and .
- 2006. Essential Immunology. Blackwell Publishing, Oxford. , , , and .
- 2004. Immunity and aging: the enemy within? Aging Cell 3:195–208. , , and .
- 1998. Multiple mechanisms of immune evasion by African trypanosomes. Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology 91:51–66. , , and .
- 2002. Senescence of immune defence in Bombus workers. Ecological Entomology 27:138–144. , , , and .
- 2003. Immune activation rapidly mirrored in a secondary sexual trait. Science 300:103. , , , , and .
- 1992. Parasites, bright males, and the immunocompetence handicap. The American Naturalist 139:603–622. , and .
- 2000. Specific and non-specific defense against parasitic attack. Journal of Theoretical Biology 202:283–304.
- 2005. Evolutionary causes and consequences of immunopathology. Annual Review of Ecology Evolution and Systematics 36:373–397. , , and .
- 2006. Structure and function of the extraembryonic membrane persisting around the larvae of the parasitold Toxoneuron nigriceps. Journal of Insect Physiology 52:870–880. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Immune function across generations: integrating mechanism and evolutionary process in maternal antibody transmission. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series B – Biological Sciences 270:2309–2319. , , and .
- 2006. Transgenerational priming of immunity: maternal exposure to a bacterial antigen enhances offspring humoral immunity. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series B – Biological Sciences 273:2551–2557. , , , , , and .
- 1980. Sex versus non-sex versus parasite. Oikos 35:282–290.
- 1982. Pathogens as causes of genetic diversity in their host populations. In R. D.Anderson, and R. M.May, eds. Population Biology of Infectious Diseases, pp. 269–296. Springer, Berlin.
- 2001. Humoral immunocompetence correlates with date of egg-laying and reflects work load in female tree swallows. Behavioral Ecology 12:93–97. , , and .
- 2002. Bacterial strategies for overcoming host innate and adaptive immune responses. Nature Immunology 3:1033–1040. , , , and .
- 2001. Sex and death: microevolutionary trade-offs between reproductive and immune investment in dung flies. Current Biology 11:R379–R380.
- 2000. Experimentally activated immune defence in female pied flycatchers results in reduced breeding success. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series B – Biological Sciences 267:665–670. , , and .
- 2005a. Juvenile immune status affects the expression of a sexually selected trait in field crickets. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 18:1060–1068. , , , and .
- 2005b. Juvenile immune system activation induces a costly upregulation of adult immunity in field crickets Gryllus campestris. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series B – Biological Sciences 272:63–69. , , , and .
- 2000. Dr. Pangloss restrained by the Red Queen – steps towards a unified defence theory. Oikos 89:267–274. , , and .
- 2006. Immune function and parasite resistance in male and polymorphic female Coenagrion puella. BMC Evolutionary Biology 6:10. , , , and .
- 2002. A genetic correlation between age at pupation and melanization immune response of the yellow fever mosquito Aedes aegypti. Evolution 56:1074–1079. , and .
- 1995. Foraging activity and immunocompetence in workers of the bumble bee, Bombus terrestris L. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series B – Biological Sciences 260:225–227. , and .
- 1997. Trade-off between parasitoid resistance and larval competitive ability in Drosophila melanogaster. Nature 389:278–280. , and .
- 2001. Basis of the trade-off between parasitoid resistance and larval competitive ability in Drosophila melanogaster. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series B – Biological Sciences 268:259–261. , , and .
- 2000. Gender differences and individual variation in the immune system of the scorpionfly Panorpa vulgaris (Insecta : Mecoptera). Developmental and Comparative Immunology 24:1–12. , , , and .
- 2004. Genetic correlation between melanization and antibacterial immune responses in a natural population of the malaria vector Anopheles gambiae. Evolution 58:2377–2381. , , and .
- 2003. Maternal transfer of strain-specific immunity in an invertebrate. Current Biology 13:489–492. , , , , and .
- 2000. Trade-offs in evolutionary immunology: just what is the cost of immunity? Oikos 88:87–98. , and .
- 1994. Carotenoids, parasites, and sexual selection. Oikos 70:309–311.
- 2005. Apoptosis and its modulation during infection with Toxoplasma gondii: molecular mechanisms and role in pathogenesis. Role of Apoptosis in Infection 289:219–237. , and .
- 2003. Immune response inhibits associative learning in insects. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series B – Biological Sciences 270:2471–2473. , , and .
- 2008a. Food restriction compromises immune memory in deer mice (Peromyscus maniculatus) by reducing spleen-derived antibody-producing B cell numbers. Physiological and Biochemical Zoology 81:366–372. , , , , , , and .
- 2008b. Sex-specific effects of glucose deprivation on cell-mediated immunity and reproduction in Siberian hamsters (Phodopus sungorus). Journal of Comparative Physiology. B – Biochemical Systemic and Environmental Physiology 178:623–628. , , , and .
- 2008. The evolutionary costs of immunological maintenance and deployment. BMC Evolutionary Biology 8:76. , , , and .
- 2006. ‘Trans-generational immune priming’: specific enhancement of the antimicrobial immune response in the mealworm beetle, Tenebrio molitor. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series B – Biological Sciences 273:1399–1405.
- 2000. Survival for immunity: the price of immune system activation for bumblebee workers. Science 290:1166–1168. , and .
- 2001. Immune defence in bumble-bee offspring. Nature 414:506. , and .
- 2003. Adaptive innate immunity? Responsive-mode prophylaxis in the mealworm beetle, Tenebrio molitor. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series B – Biological Sciences 270:2475–2480. , and .
- 2007. Does the strength of an immune response reflect its energetic cost? Journal of Avian Biology 38:488–494. , , and .
- 2000. Ecological immunology: life history trade-offs and immune defense in birds. Behavioral Ecology 11:19–26. , and .
- 2000. The economics of immunity. Science 290:1104–1105. , and .
- 2000. Predator avoidance and immune defence: costs and trade-offs in snails. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series B – Biological Sciences 267:171–176. , and .
- 2002. Why should parasite resistance be costly? Trends in Parasitology 18:116–120. , , and .
- 2002. Bateman’s principle and immunity. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series B – Biological Sciences 269:867–872.
- 2002. Copulation corrupts immunity: a mechanism for a cost of mating in insects. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 99:9916–9918. , and .
- 2003. Invertebrate ecological immunology. Science 301:472–475. , and .
- 2002. Evasion of innate immunity by parasitic protozoa. Nature Immunology 3:1041–1047. , and .
- 2006. Insect immunity shows specificity in protection upon secondary pathogen exposure. Current Biology 16:1206–1210. , and .
- 2007. Facultative but persistent transgenerational immunity via the mother’s eggs in bumblebees. Current Biology 17:R1046–R1047. , and .
- 2006. Self-harm caused by an insect’s innate immunity. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series B – Biological Sciences 273:2571–2574. , and .
- 2005. Trans-generational immune priming in a social insect. Biology Letters 1:386–388. , , , and .
- 2000. Molecular crosstalk in host-parasite relationships: schistosome- and leech-host interactions. Parasitology Today 16:536–540. , , and .
- 2003. Autoimmunity. Current Opinion in Immunology 15:647–650. , and .
- 2001. On the evolutionary ecology of host-parasite interactions: addressing the question with regard to bumblebees and their parasites. Naturwissenschaften 88: 147–158.
- 2003. Variation in immune defence as a question of evolutionary ecology. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series B – Biological Sciences 270:357–366.
- 2008. Parasite immune evasion: a momentous molecular war. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 23:318–326.
- 2004. The cost of immunity in the yellow fever mosquito, Aedes aegypti depends on immune activation. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 17: 834–840. , and .
- 2003. Poxviruses and immune evasion. Annual Review of Immunology 21:377–423. , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. Ecological immunology: costly parasite defences and trade offs in evolutionary ecology. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 11:317–321. , and .
- 2007. Adult female crickets, Gryllus texensis, maintain reproductive output after repeated immune challenges. Physiological Entomology 32:113–120. , and .
- 2004. Degradation of human antimicrobial peptide LL-37 by Staphylococcus aureus-derived proteinases. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 48:4673–4679. , , , , , , et al.
- 1989. A History of Immunology. Academic Press, San Diego, CA.
- 2005. Bacterial immunity traded for sperm viability in male crickets. Science 309:2031. , and .
- 2002. Short-term nutrient deprivation affects immune function. Physiological Entomology 27:206–212. , and .
- 2008. Cooperative breeding and immunity: a comparative study of PHA response in African birds. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology 62:963–974.
- 2008. Antigenic variation in Trypanosoma brucei: joining the DOTs. Plos Biology 6:1386–1391. , , , and .
- 2007. Antimicrobial defences increase with sociality in bees. Biology Letters 3:422–424. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Viral subversion of the immune system. Annual Review of Immunology 18:861–926. , , , , and .
- 2002. The development of immunity in a social insect: evidence for the group facilitation of disease resistance. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 99:6838–6842. , , and .
- 2008. Ecological immunology of mosquito-malaria interactions. Trends in Parasitology 24:219–227. , , and .
- 2008. Comparison of male reproductive success in malaria-refractory and susceptible strains of Anopheles gambiae. Malaria Journal 7:103. , , and .
- 1998. Selection and strain specificity of compatibility between snail intermediate hosts and their parasitic schistosomes. Evolution 52:1627–1634. , and .
- 2007. Innate versus adaptive immunity in sticklebacks: evidence for trade-offs from a selection experiment. Evolutionary Ecology 21:473–483. , , and .
- 2002. Coping with crowds: density-dependent disease resistance in desert locusts. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 99:5471–5475. , , , , , and .