Mixed infections and the competitive fitness of faster-acting genetically modified viruses
Article first published online: 2 FEB 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 2, Issue 2, pages 209–221, May 2009
How to Cite
Zwart, M. P., Van Der Werf, W., Van Oers, M. M., Hemerik, L., Van Lent, J. M. V., De Visser, J. A. G. M., Vlak, J. M. and Cory, J. S. (2009), Mixed infections and the competitive fitness of faster-acting genetically modified viruses. Evolutionary Applications, 2: 209–221. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2008.00058.x
- Issue published online: 15 APR 2009
- Article first published online: 2 FEB 2009
- Received: 17 August 2008 Accepted: 28 November 2008
- 2008. The effect of multiple infections in the expression and evolution of virulence in a Daphnia-endoparasite system. Evolution 62:1700–1711. , , and .
- 2005. Persistence and coexistence of engineered nucleopolyhedroviruses. Theoretical Population Biology 67:217–230. , , , and .
- 2001. Persistence of an occlusion-negative recombinant nucleopolyhedrovirus in Trichoplusia ni indicates high multiplicity of cellular infection. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 67:5204–5209. , , and .
- 2000. Pathogenicity, virulence and productivity of a baculovirus expressing the itch mite toxin Txp-1 in second and fourth instar Trichoplusia ni. Journal of Invertebrate Pathology 75:226–236. , , , , and .
- 2006. Recent developments and future prospects in insect pest control in transgenic crops. Trends in Plant Science 11:302–308. , , , , and .
- 2003. The ecology and evolution of insect baculoviruses. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 34:239–272. , and .
- 1994. Field trial of a genetically improved baculovirus insecticide. Nature 370:138–140. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Microparasite manipulation of an insect: the influence of the egt gene on the interaction between a baculovirus and its lepidopteran host. Functional Ecology 18:443–450. , , , , and .
- 2005. Genotypic and phenotypic diversity of a baculovirus population within an individual insect host. Journal of Invertebrate Pathology 89:101–111. , , , and .
- 1995. Mediated pathogenecity of the baculovirus HzSNPV by the venom from Euplectrus comstockii (Hymenoptera, Eulophidae). Biological Control 5:92–98. , , , and .
- 2004. Competitive release of drug resistance following drug treatment of genetically diverse Plasmodium chabaudi infections. Malaria Journal 3:33. , , , and .
- 2005. Dynamics of multiple infection and within-host competition in genetically diverse malaria infections. American Naturalist 166:531–542. , , , and .
- 1960. On Competition. Versl. Landbouwk. Onderzoek. 66:1–82.
- 2001. Evaluating the risks of engineered viruses: modelling pathogen competition. Ecological Applications 11:1602–1609. , and .
- 1997. Optimal killing for obligate killers: the evolution of life histories and virulence of semelparous parasites. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series B: Biological Sciences 264:985–991. , and .
- 2003. Evolution experiments with microorganisms: the dynamics and genetic bases of adaptation. Nature Reviews Genetics 4:457–469. , and .
- 1998. Persistence of viruses and DNA in soil. World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology 14:163–169. , , and .
- 1997. Baculovirus Pathogenesis in L. K.Miller (ed.), The Baculoviruses, pp. 33–59. Plenum Press, New York.
- 2005. Competition in insect larvae between wild-type baculovirus (Spodoptera exigua nucleopolyhedrovirus) and a marked recombinant with enhanced speed of action. IOBC/WPRS Bulletin 28:141–145. , , , , , and .
- 1997. A model of nucleopolyhedrovirus (NPV) population genetics applied to co-occlusion and the spread of the few polyhedra (FP) phenotype. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series B: Biological Sciences 264:315–322. , , and .
- 2002. Transmission patterns of natural and recombinant baculoviruses. Ecology 83:906–916. , , , , , and .
- 1990. Coocclusion and Persistence of a Baculovirus Mutant Lacking the Polyhedrin Gene. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 56:3057–3062. , , , and .
- 1999. Response of hosts of varying susceptibility to a recombinant baculovirus insecticide in the field. Biological Control 16:119–127. , , , , , and .
- 1991. Selection kinetics during serial cell culture passage of mixtures of wild type Autographa californica nuclear polyhedrosis virus and its recombinant AC360-Beta-gal. Journal of General Virology 72:2653–2660. , , , and .
- 2006. Genetically modified baculoviruses: a historical overview and future outlook. Advances in Virus Research 68:323–360. , , and .
- 2006. On the classification and nomenclature of baculoviruses: a proposal for revision. Archives of Virology 151:1257–1266. , , , , , , et al.
- 1975. Beta-ecdysone effects on development of nucleopolyhedrosis in Heliothis species. Journal of Invertebrate Pathology 26:121–123. , and .
- 1978. Isolation of genotypic variants of Autographa californica nuclear polyhedrosis virus. Journal of Virology 27:754–767. , and .
- 2001. Recombinant and wild-type nucleopolyhedroviruses are equally fit in mixed infections. Environmental Entomology 30:972–981. , , and .
- 1999. Assessment of the application of baculoviruses for control of Lepidoptera. Annual Review of Entomology 44:257–289. .
- 1989. A baculovirus blocks insect molting by producing ecdysteroid UDP glucosyl transferase. Science 245:1110–1112. , and .
- 1995. Overexpression of Bombyx mori prothoracicotropic hormone using baculovirus vectors. Insect Biochemistry and Molecular Biology 25:475–485. , , , , , , and .
- 2005. An entomopathogenic fungus for control of adult African malaria mosquitoes. Science 308:1641–1642. , , , , , , et al.
- 1988. In vivo isolation of baculovirus genotypes. Virology 166:240–244. , and .
- 1986. Oviposition of Beet Armyworm (Lepidoptera, Noctuidae) on greenhouse crops. Environmental Entomology 15:1189–1191. , , and .
- 2004. Biological activity and field efficacy of a genetically modified Helicoverpa armigera single-nucleocapsid nucleopolyhedrovirus expressing an insect-selective toxin from a chimeric promoter. Biological Control 29:124–137. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Baculoviridae. In C. M.Fauquet, M. A.Mayo, J.Maniloff, U.Desselberger and L. A.Ball (eds), Virus Taxonomy–Eighth Report of the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses, pp. 1129–1185. Springer, New York. , , , , , , et al.
- 1972. Accumulation and persistence of a nuclear polyhedrosis virus of the cabbage looper in the field. Journal of Invertebrate Pathology 20:157–164. , , and .
- 2008a. Low multiplicity of infection in vivo results in purifying selection against baculovirus deletion mutants. Journal of General Virology 89:1220–1224. , , , , and .
- 2008b. Development of a quantitative real-time PCR to determine genotype frequencies for studies in baculovirus population biology. Journal of Virological Methods 148:146–154. , , , , , and .