SYNTHESIS: Evolutionary ecology of microbial wars: within-host competition and (incidental) virulence
Article first published online: 7 JAN 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Special Issue: Evolutionary Medicine
Volume 2, Issue 1, pages 32–39, February 2009
How to Cite
Brown, S. P., Fredrik Inglis, R. and Taddei, F. (2009), SYNTHESIS: Evolutionary ecology of microbial wars: within-host competition and (incidental) virulence. Evolutionary Applications, 2: 32–39. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2008.00059.x
- Issue published online: 27 JAN 2009
- Article first published online: 7 JAN 2009
- Received: 14 October 2008 Accepted: 27 November 2008 First published online: 7 January 2009
- 1959. Bacteriophages. Interscience Publishers Ltd, London.
- 2008. Multiple infections, immune dynamics and the evolution of virulence. American Naturalist 172:E150–E168. , and .
- 2001. Dangerous liaisons: the ecology of private interest and common good. Oikos 95:211–224. , and .
- 1993. Ecology, Management and Restoration of Inter-Mountain Annual Rangelands. US Forest Service, Ogdon Utah.
- 2003. Prophage contribution to bacterial population dynamics. Journal of Bacteriology 185:6467–6471. , , , and .
- 2001. An unlikely partnership: parasites, concomitant immunity and host defence. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series B: Biological Sciences 268:2543–2549. , and .
- 2007. The durability of public goods changes the dynamics and nature of social dilemmas. PLoS ONE 2:e593. , and .
- 2002. Does multiple infection select for raised virulence? Trends in Microbiology 10:401–405. , , and .
- 2006. Ecology of microbial invasions: Amplification allows virus carriers to invade more rapidly when rare. Current Biology 16:2048–2052. , , , and .
- 2008. Evolution of virulence: triggering host inflammation allows invading pathogens to exclude competitors. Ecology Letters 11:44–51. , , and .
- 1996. Cryptic prophages. In F. C.Neidhardt, ed. Escherichia coli and Salmonella, pp. 2325–2338. ASM Press, Washington, D.C.
- 2007. Colicin biology. Microbiology and Molecular Biology Reviews 71:158–229. , , , , , , et al.
- 1981. Structured habitats and the evolution of anticompetitor toxins in bacteria. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 78:6324–6328. , and .
- 1997. Plant Ecology. Blackwell Science, Oxford.
- 2003. Killer-sensitive coexistence in metapopulations of micro-organisms. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series B: Biological Sciences 270:1373–1378. , and .
- 2002. Chemical warfare between microbes promotes biodiversity. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 99:786–790. , , and .
- 1982. The Extended Phenotype. Freeman, San Francisco.
- 2007. Evolution of parasite virulence when host responses cause disease. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series B: Biological Sciences B 274: 2685–2692.554 , , and ,
- 2007. Selfish and spiteful behaviour through parasites and pathogens. Evolutionary Ecology Research 9:1199–1210.
- 1997. Allelopathy in spatially distributed populations. Journal of Theoretical Biology 185:165–171. , and .
- 1998. Genotypic and phenotypic changes in the emergence of Escherichia coli O157:H7. Journal of Infectious Diseases 177:1750–1753. , , , and .
- 2003. Ecology. Making allelopathy respectable. Science 301:1337–1338.
- 1994. Spatial polymorphism of bacteriocins and other allelopathic traits. Evolutionary Ecology 8:369–386.
- 1996. Models of parasite virulence. Quarterly Review of Biology 71:37–78.
- 2003. Nonpathogenic Escherichia coli can contribute to the production of Shiga toxin. Infection and Immunity 71:3107–3115. , , , and .
- 2001. Imperfect vaccines and the evolution of pathogen virulence. Nature 414:751–756. , , , and .
- 2006. Spite. Current Biology 16:R662–R664. , and .
- 2004. Bacteriocins, spite and virulence. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series B: Biological Sciences 271:1529–1535. , , and .
- 2007. Spiteful soldiers and sex ratio conflict in polyembryonic parasitoid wasps. American Naturalist 169:519–533. , , , and .
- 1999. A theoretical and empirical investigation of the invasion dynamics of colicinogeny. Microbiology 145:655–661. , and .
- 1985. A geometric view of relatedness. Oxford Surveys in Evolutionary Biology 2:28–89. .
- 2002. When T-helper cells do not help: immuno-pathology during concomitant infection. Quarterly Review of Biology 77:409–434.
- 2005. Evolutionary causes and consequences of immunopathology. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 36:373–397. , , and .
- 2008. Density-dependent effects of allelopathic interactions in yeast. Evolution 62:521–527. , and .
- 1963. The evolution of altruistic behaviour. American Naturalist 97:354–356.
- 1964. The genetical evolution of social behaviour. I. Journal of Theoretical Biology 7:1–16.
- 1970. Selfish and spiteful behaviour in an evolutionary model. Nature 228:1218–1220.
- 1972. Altruism and related phenomena, mainly in social insects. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 3:193–232.
- 2001. Complete genome sequence of enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli O157:H7 and genomic comparison with a laboratory strain K-12. DNA Research 8:11–22. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. The origins and ongoing evolution of viruses. Trends in Microbiology 8:504–508. , , , and .
- 1998. Competition mediated by parasites: biological and theoretical progress. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 13:387–390. , and .
- 1970. Isolation and characterization of pyocins from several strains of pseudomonas aeruginosa. Journal of General and Applied Microbiology 16:205–214. , , and .
- 2005. Viruses activate a genetically conserved cell death pathway in a unicellular organism. Journal of Cell Biology 170:391–399. , and .
- 2006. Bacteriophage-mediated competition in Bordetella bacteria. Proceedings Royal Society B 273:1843–1848. , , , , , and .
- 1999. Rekindling an old flam: a haploid model for the evolution and impact of flammability in resprouting plants. Evolutionary Ecology Research 1:807–833. , , , and .
- 2002. Local dispersal promotes biodiversity in a real-life game of rock-paper-scissors. Nature 418:171–174. , , , and .
- 2004. Antibiotic-mediated antagonism leads to a bacterial game of rock-paper-scissors in vivo. Nature 428:412–414. , and .
- 1988. Frequency-dependent selection in bacterial populations. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. Series B: Biological Sciences 319:459–472.
- 2005. The role of innate immune responses in the outcome of inter- species competition for colonization of mucosal surfaces. PLoS Pathog 1:e1. , , , and .
- 1997. Yeast killer systems. Clinical Microbiology Reviews 10:369–400. , , , , and .
- 2004. Interference competition and parasite virulence. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series B: Biological Sciences 271:785–788. , , and .
- 1990. Soil-water exploitation after fire – competition between Bromus tectorum (cheatgrass) and 2 native species. Oecologia 83:7–13. , , and .
- 2002. The pyocins of Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Biochimie 84:499–510. , and .
- 2003. Release of invasive plants from fungal and viral pathogens. Nature 421:625–627. , and .
- 2003. Niche Construction The neglected process in evolution. Princeton University Press, Princeton and Oxford. , , and ,
- 2001. Diversification of Escherichia coli genomes: are bacteriophages the major contributors? Trends in Microbiology 9:481–485. , , and .
- 2001. Genome sequence of enterohaemorrhagic Escherichia coli O157:H7. Nature 409:529–533. , , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Sequence of Shiga toxin 2 phage 933W from Escherichia coli O157:H7: Shiga toxin as a phage late-gene product. Journal of Bacteriology 181:1767–1778. , , , and ,
- 1994. Genetic relatedness in viscous populations. Evolutionary Ecology 8:70–73.
- 2006. The role of immune-mediated apparent competition in genetically diverse malaria infections. Am. Nat. 168:41–53. , , , , , and .
- 1996. Defence against the immune barrage: helminth survival strategies. Immunology and Cell Biology 74:564–574. , , , , and .
- 2002. Bacteriocins: Evolution, ecology, and application. Annual Review of Microbiology 56:117–137. , and .
- 2000. Modelling the spatial dynamics of parapoxvirus disease in red and grey squirrels: a possible cause of the decline in the red squirrel in the UK? J Appl Ecol 37:997–1012. , , , and .
- 2001. The population biology of invasive species. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 32:305–332. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Debugging how bacteria manipulate the immune response. Immunity 26:149–161. , and .
- 2007. Salmonella enterica serovar typhimurium exploits inflammation to compete with the intestinal microbiota. PloS Biology 5:2177–2189. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Differential impact of a shared nematode parasite on two gamebird hosts: implications for apparent competition. Parasitology 122:187–193. , , and .
- 2002. Parapoxvirus causes a deleterious disease in red squirrels associated with UK population declines. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series B: Biological Sciences 269:529–533. , , , , and .
- 2003. Introduced species and their missing parasites. Nature 421:628–630. , , , , and .
- 1995. The dynamics of multiple infection and the evolution of virulence. American Naturalist 146:881–910. , and .
- 2008. Low migration decreases interference competition among parasites and increases virulence. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 21:1245–1251. , , , and .
- 2003. Cooperation, virulence and siderophore production in bacterial parasites. Proc. Biol. Sci. 270:37–44. , and .
- 2007. The social lives of microbes. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 38, 53–77. , , , , and ,
- 1996. Double-stranded RNA viruses of saccharomyces cerevisiae. Microbiological Reviews 60:250–265.
- 2008. Effect of dispersal and nutrient availability on the competitive ability of toxin-producing yeast. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 275:535–541. , , , and .