PERSPECTIVE: Evolutionary genetics as a tool to target genes involved in phenotypes of medical relevance
Article first published online: 27 JAN 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Special Issue: Evolutionary Medicine
Volume 2, Issue 1, pages 71–80, February 2009
How to Cite
Heyer, E. and Quintana-Murci, L. (2009), PERSPECTIVE: Evolutionary genetics as a tool to target genes involved in phenotypes of medical relevance. Evolutionary Applications, 2: 71–80. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2008.00061.x
- Issue published online: 27 JAN 2009
- Article first published online: 27 JAN 2009
- Received: 24 October 2008 Accepted: 4 December 2008
- 2005. A comparison of case-control and family-based association methods: the example of sickle-cell and malaria. Annals of Human Genetics 69:559–565. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Sexual selection as a cause of human skin colour variation: Darwin’s hypothesis revisited. Annals of Human Biology 29:589–608.
- 2003. Detecting population growth, selection and inherited fertility from haplotypic data in humans. Genetics 165:1579–1586. , , and .
- 2003. Signatures of natural selection in the human genome. Nature Reviews. Genetics 4:99–111. , and .
- 2002. A strong signature of balancing selection in the 5′ cis-regulatory region of CCR5. Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 99:10539–10544. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. The heritage of pathogen pressures and ancient demography in the human innate-immunity CD209/CD209L region. American Journal of Human Genetics 77:869–886. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Promoter variation in the DC-SIGN-encoding gene CD209 is associated with tuberculosis. PLoS Medicine 3:e20. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Natural selection has driven population differentiation in modern humans. Nature Genetics 40:340–345. , , , , and .
- 2003. Gene-culture coevolution between cattle milk protein genes and human lactase genes. Nature Genetics 35:311–313. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Susceptibility to mycobacterial infections: the importance of host genetics. Genes and Immunity 4:4–11.
- 2003. The color loci of mice – a genetic century. Pigment Cell Research 16:333–344. , and .
- 2006. Exploring the thrifty genotype’s food-shortage assumptions: a cross-cultural comparison of ethnographic accounts of food security among foraging and agricultural societies. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 131:120–126. , and .
- 2004. Genetic signatures of strong recent positive selection at the lactase gene. American Journal of Human Genetics 74:1111–1120. , , , , , , et al.
- 1994. G6PD deficiency. Blood 84:3613–3636.
- 2008. Natural selection on genes that underlie human disease susceptibility. Current Biology 18:883–889. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Ancient footsteps in our genes: evolution and human disease. Gene variants selected during evolution may underlie many common diseases. Lancet 363:952–953.
- 2008. Positive selection in East Asians for an EDAR allele that enhances NF-kappaB activation. PLoS ONE 3:e2209. , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Natural selection on protein-coding genes in the human genome. Nature 437:1153–1157. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. How C-type lectins detect pathogens. Cell Microbiology 7:481–488. , , and .
- 2005. Genomic regions exhibiting positive selection identified from dense genotype data. Genome Research 15:1553–1565. , , , , , , and .
- 1997. Novel alleles of the chemokine-receptor gene CCR5. American Journal of Human Genetics 61:1261–1267. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Genetic dissection of immunity to mycobacteria: the human model. Annual Review of Immunology 20:581–620. , and .
- 2003. The application of molecular genetic approaches to the study of human evolution. Nature Genetics 33(Suppl.):266–275. , and .
- 2002. The ‘carnivore connection’– evolutionary aspects of insulin resistance. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 56(Suppl. 1):S30–S35. , and .
- 2001. Genetics of susceptibility to human infectious disease. Nature Reviews. Genetics 2:967–977. , and .
- 1871. The Descent of Man, and Selection in Relation to Sex. D. Appleton and company, New York.
- 1996. Genetic restriction of HIV-1 infection and progression to AIDS by a deletion allele of the CKR5 structural gene. Hemophilia Growth and Development Study, Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study, Multicenter Hemophilia Cohort Study, San Francisco City Cohort, ALIVE Study. Science 273:1856–1862. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Population genetics models of common diseases. Current Opinion in Genetics and Development 16:630–636.
- 2005. An evolutionary framework for common diseases: the ancestral-susceptibility model. Trends in Genetics 21:596–601. , and .
- 2002. Identification of a variant associated with adult-type hypolactasia. Nature Genetics 30:233–237. , , , , , and .
- 2007. A second generation human haplotype map of over 3.1 million SNPs. Nature 449:851–861. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Type-2 diabetes: a cocktail of genetic discovery. Human Molecular Genetics 15:R202–R209. , and .
- 2001. Global survey of genetic variation in CCR5, RANTES, and MIP-1alpha: impact on the epidemiology of the HIV-1 pandemic. Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 98:5199–5204. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Ecology drives the worldwide distribution of human diseases. PLoS Biology 2:e141. , , and .
- 1949. Disease and evolution. Ric Sci Suppl. A 19:68–76.
- 2008. Adaptations to climate in candidate genes for common metabolic disorders. PLoS Genetics 4:e32. , , , , , , and .
- 2000. Genetic perspectives on human origins and differentiation. Annual Review of Genomics and Human Genetics 1:361–385. , and .
- 1991. Common west African HLA antigens are associated with protection from severe malaria. Nature 352:595–600. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Whole-genome patterns of common DNA variation in three human populations. Science 307:1072–1079. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Looking for Darwin in all the wrong places: the misguided quest for positive selection at the nucleotide sequence level. Heredity 99:364–373.
- 2001. Very large long-term effective population size in the virulent human malaria parasite Plasmodium falciparum. Proceedings. Biological Sciences 268:1855–1860. , and .
- 1994. Natural selection at the class II major histocompatibility complex loci of mammals. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. Series B: Biological Sciences 346:359–366; discussion 366–357. , , , and .
- 2007. A novel polymorphism associated with lactose tolerance in Africa: multiple causes for lactase persistence? Human Genetics 120:779–788. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. A scan for signatures of positive selection in candidate loci for skin pigmentation in humans. Molecular Biology and Evolution 23:1697–1706. , , , , and .
- 2000. The evolution of human skin coloration. Journal of Human Evolution 39:57–106. , and .
- 2008. Genotype, haplotype and copy-number variation in worldwide human populations. Nature 451:998–1003. , , , , , , et al.
- 1968. Evolutionary rate at the molecular level. Nature 217:624–626.
- 2007. Most rare missense alleles are deleterious in humans: implications for complex disease and association studies. American Journal of Human Genetics 80:727–739. , , and .
- 2005. How malaria has affected the human genome and what human genetics can teach us about malaria. American Journal of Human Genetics 77:171–192.
- 1999. Use of chemokine receptors by poxviruses. Science 286:1968–1971. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Worldwide human relationships inferred from genome-wide patterns of variation. Science 319:1100–1104. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. From exposure to disease: the role of environmental factors in susceptibility to and development of tuberculosis. Epidemiologic Reviews 23:288–301.
- 1998. Genetics and Analysis of Quantitative Traits. Sinauer, Sunderland, MA. , and .
- 2005. Heritability of malaria in Africa. PLoS Medicine 2:e340. , , , , and .
- 2005. Genetics of type 2 diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice 68(Suppl. 1):S10–S21.
- 2006. The genetic architecture of normal variation in human pigmentation: an evolutionary perspective and model. Human Molecular Genetics 15:R176–R181. , , and .
- 1999. Mutations in the human homologue of mouse dl cause autosomal recessive and dominant hypohidrotic ectodermal dysplasia. Nature Genetics 22:366–369. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Generation of the primary hair follicle pattern. Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 103:9075–9080. , , , , and .
- 1962. Diabetes mellitus: a “thrifty” genotype rendered detrimental by “progress”? American Journal of Human Genetics 14:353–362.
- 1999. Diabetes mellitus: a “thrifty” genotype rendered detrimental by “progress”? 1962. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 77:694–703; discussion 692–693.
- 2006. Towards a crucial role for DC-SIGN in tuberculosis and beyond. Trends in Microbiology 14:383–387. , , and .
- 2005. Molecular signatures of natural selection. Annual Review of Genetics 39:197–218.
- 2007. Recent and ongoing selection in the human genome. Nature Reviews. Genetics 8:857–868. , , , , and .
- 2007. Genetic evidence for the convergent evolution of light skin in Europeans and East Asians. Molecular Biology and Evolution 24:710–722. , , , , , , et al.
- 1991. Role of diversifying selection and gene conversion in evolution of major histocompatibility complex loci. Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 88:6716–6720.
- 2002. Population genetics. Seeking the signs of selection. Science 298:1324–1325.
- 2007. Negative selection on BRCA1 susceptibility alleles sheds light on the population genetics of late-onset diseases and aging theory. PLoS ONE 2:e1206. , and .
- 2007. Diet and the evolution of human amylase gene copy number variation. Nature Genetics 39:1256–1260. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. The allelic architecture of human disease genes: common disease-common variant...or not? Human Molecular Genetics 11:2417–2423. , and .
- 2007. Immunology in natura: clinical, epidemiological and evolutionary genetics of infectious diseases. Nature Immunology 8:1165–1171. , , , and .
- 1991. Biological Perspectives on Human Pigmentation: Cambridge Studies in Biological Anthropology, Vol. 7. pp. 253. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 2002. Detecting recent positive selection in the human genome from haplotype structure. Nature 419:832–837. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. The case for selection at CCR5-Delta32. PLoS Biology 3:e378. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Positive natural selection in the human lineage. Science 312:1614–1620. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Genome-wide detection and characterization of positive selection in human populations. Nature 449:913–918. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. A genome-wide association study identifies novel risk loci for type 2 diabetes. Nature 445:881–885. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Dating the origin of the CCR5-Delta32 AIDS-resistance allele by the coalescence of haplotypes. American Journal of Human Genetics 62:1507–1515. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. DC-SIGN is the major Mycobacterium tuberculosis receptor on human dendritic cells. Journal of Experimental Medicine 197:121–127. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. A new approach for using genome scans to detect recent positive selection in the human genome. PLoS Biology 5:e171. , , and .
- 2004. CYP3A variation and the evolution of salt-sensitivity variants. American Journal of Human Genetics 75:1059–1069. , , , , , and .
- 2001. Haplotype diversity and linkage disequilibrium at human G6PD: recent origin of alleles that confer malarial resistance. Science 293:455–462. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Convergent adaptation of human lactase persistence in Africa and Europe. Nature Genetics 39:31–40. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Positive selection on the human genome. Human Molecular Genetics 2:R245–R254. , and .
- 2006. Evolutionary insights into the high worldwide prevalence of MBL2 deficiency alleles. Human Molecular Genetics 15:2650–2658. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Evidence for balancing selection from nucleotide sequence analyses of human G6PD. American Journal of Human Genetics 71:1112–1128. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. A map of recent positive selection in the human genome. PLoS Biology 4:e72. , , , and .
- 2008. Tilting at quixotic trait loci (QTL): an evolutionary perspective on genetic causation. Genetics 179:1741–1756.
- 2008. Meta-analysis of genome-wide association data and large-scale replication identifies additional susceptibility loci for type 2 diabetes. Nature Genetics 40:638–645. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Patterns of genetic variation in Mendelian and complex traits. Annual Review of Genomics and Human Genetics 1:387–407. , , and .