PERSPECTIVE: Infection and inflammation in somatic maintenance, growth and longevity
Article first published online: 27 JAN 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Special Issue: Evolutionary Medicine
Volume 2, Issue 1, pages 132–141, February 2009
How to Cite
Kopp, E. B. and Medzhitov, R. (2009), PERSPECTIVE: Infection and inflammation in somatic maintenance, growth and longevity. Evolutionary Applications, 2: 132–141. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2008.00062.x
- Issue published online: 27 JAN 2009
- Article first published online: 27 JAN 2009
- Received: 5 October 2008 Accepted: 4 December 2008
- 2000. Host life history responses to parasitism. Microbes and Infection 2:891–896. , , and .
- 2005. IKK-beta links inflammation to obesity-induced insulin resistance. Nature Medicine 11:191–198. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Mechanisms of aging and energy metabolism in Caenorhabditis elegans. IUBMB Life 60:315–322. , and .
- 2003. Food supplements modulate changes in leucocyte numbers in breeding male ground squirrels. Journal of Experimental Biology 206:2373–2380.
- 2005. Mitochondria, oxidants, and aging. Cell 120:483–495. , , and .
- 2000. Growth failure occurs through a decrease in insulin-like growth factor 1 which is independent of undernutrition in a rat model of colitis. Gut 46:694–700. , , , , and .
- 2005. H2S induces a suspended animation-like state in mice. Science 308:518. , , and .
- 2003. Impact of Helicobacter pylori infection on growth of children: a prospective cohort study. Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition 37:614–619. , , , , , , and .
- 2004. Drosophila lifespan enhancement by exogenous bacteria. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 101:12974–12979. , , , , and .
- 2005. Local and systemic insulin resistance resulting from hepatic activation of IKK-beta and NF-kappaB. Nature Medicine 11:183–190. , , , , , , and .
- 2000. Helicobacter pylori infection with iron deficiency anaemia and subnormal growth at puberty. Archives of Disease in Childhood 82:136–140. , , and .
- 2000. Iron deficiency anaemia, Helicobacter pylori infection and delayed pubertal growth. Archives of Disease in Childhood 83:456a. , , , , and .
- 1997. Interleukin 6 causes growth impairment in transgenic mice through a decrease in insulin-like growth factor-I A model for stunted growth in children with chronic inflammation. Journal of Clinical Investigation 99:643–650. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. In vivo neutralization of human IL-6 (hIL-6) achieved by immunization of hIL-6-transgenic mice with a hIL-6 receptor antagonist. Journal of Immunology 166:4334–4340. , , , , , , and .
- 2001. Subnormal growth in children with Helicobacter pylori infection. Archives of Disease in Childhood 84:89b. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Inflammatory exposure and historical changes in human life-spans. Science 305:1736–1739. , and .
- 2008. Maternally transmitted parasite defence can be beneficial in the absence of parasites. Oikos 117:223–230. , , and .
- 2002. Genetic analysis of tissue aging in Caenorhabditis elegans: a role for heat-shock factor and bacterial proliferation. Genetics 161:1101–1112. , , , , , and .
- 2002. A central role for JNK in obesity and insulin resistance. Nature 420:333–336. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Mechanisms of TNF-alpha-induced insulin resistance. Experimental and Clinical Endocrinology and Diabetes 107:119–125.
- 1994. Reduced tyrosine kinase activity of the insulin receptor in obesity-diabetes. Central role of tumor necrosis factor-alpha. Journal of Clinical Investigation 94:1543–1549. , , , and .
- 2002. Axenic growth up-regulates mass-specific metabolic rate, stress resistance, and extends life span in Caenorhabditis elegans. Experimental Gerontology 37:1371–1378. , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Dauer. WormBook, pp. 1–19.
- 1989. Approaching the asymptote? Evolution and revolution in immunology. Cold Spring Harbor Symposia on Quantitative Biology 54:1–13. .
- 2007. A possible link between parasite defence and residual reproduction. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 20:2248–2252. , , , and .
- 1977. Evolution of ageing. Nature 270:301–304.
- 2008. Understanding ageing from an evolutionary perspective. Journal of Internal Medicine 263:117–127.
- 1979. The evolution of ageing and longevity. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series B: Biological Sciences 205:531–546. , and .
- 2007. An integrated view of oxidative stress in aging: basic mechanisms, functional effects, and pathological considerations. American Journal of Physiology: Regulatory, Integrative and Comparative Physiology 292:R18–R36. , and .
- 2003. Genetic mouse models of extended lifespan. Experimental Gerontology 38:1353–1364. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Mitotic misregulation and human aging. Science 287:2486–2492. , , , and .
- 1982. Hibernation and Torpor in Mammals and Birds, Vol. xii. Academic Press, New York. , , , and .
- 2006. Cytokine actions in growth disorders associated with pediatric chronic inflammatory diseases (review). International Journal of Molecular Medicine 18:1011–1018. , , , and .
- 1999. The p66shc adaptor protein controls oxidative stress response and life span in mammals. Nature 402:309–313. , , , , , , et al.
- 1993. Growth failure in children with inflammatory bowel disease: a prospective study. Gastroenterology 105:681–691. , , , , and .
- 2003. Genes that act downstream of DAF-16 to influence the lifespan of Caenorhabditis elegans. Nature 424:277–283. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Oxidative stress and advancing age: results in healthy centenarians. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 46:833–838. , , , , , and .
- 2008. HGPS and related premature aging disorders: from genomic identification to the first therapeutic approaches. Mechanisms of Ageing and Development 129:449–459. , , , , , , and .
- 1997. Helicobacter pylori infection and growth delay in older children. Archives of Disease in Childhood 77:46–49. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Is type II diabetes mellitus a disease of the innate immune system? Diabetologia 41:1241–1248. , and .
- 2008. p66Shc, oxidative stress and aging: importing a lifespan determinant into mitochondria. Cell Cycle 7:304–308. , and .
- 2008. Diet and aging. Cell Metabolism 8:99–104. , and .
- 2004. Recognition of commensal microflora by toll-like receptors is required for intestinal homeostasis. Cell 118:229–241. , , , , and .
- 1994. A 2-year study of Helicobacter pylori in children. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 32:461–463. , , , , and .
- 2005. Buying time in suspended animation. Scientific American 292:48–55. , and .
- 2003. Presenting features of inflammatory bowel disease in Great Britain and Ireland. Archives of Disease in Childhood 88:995–1000. , and .
- 2006. Clinical features affecting final adult height in patients with pediatric-onset Crohn’s disease. Pediatrics 118:124–129. , , , and .
- 2002. Puberty in chronically diseased patients. Hormone Research 57(Suppl. 2):53–56.
- 2002. Treatment of growth failure in juvenile chronic arthritis. Hormone Research 58(Suppl. 1):28–32. , , , , and .
- 2005. Growth in children with Helicobacter pylori infection and dyspepsia. Archives of Disease in Childhood 90:1025–1028. , , , , and .
- 1990. Metabolic rate depression and biochemical adaptation in anaerobiosis, hibernation and estivation. Quarterly Review of Biology 65:145–174. , and .
- 2007. Tribute to P L. Lutz: putting life on ‘pause’– molecular regulation of hypometabolism. Journal of Experimental Biology 210:1700–1714. , and .
- 2007. Impact of blood parasites on immunoglobulin level and parental effort: a medication field experiment on a wild passerine. Functional Ecology 21:125–133. , , , , and .
- 2002. A p53-p66Shc signalling pathway controls intracellular redox status, levels of oxidation-damaged DNA and oxidative stress-induced apoptosis. Oncogene 21:3872–3878. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Childhood Helicobacter pylori infection and growth impairment in developing countries: a vicious cycle? Pediatrics 119:e754–e759. , , and .