SYNTHESIS: Cancer research meets evolutionary biology
Article first published online: 27 JAN 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Special Issue: Evolutionary Medicine
Volume 2, Issue 1, pages 62–70, February 2009
How to Cite
Pepper, J. W., Scott Findlay, C., Kassen, R., Spencer, S. L. and Maley, C. C. (2009), SYNTHESIS: Cancer research meets evolutionary biology. Evolutionary Applications, 2: 62–70. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2008.00063.x
- Issue published online: 27 JAN 2009
- Article first published online: 27 JAN 2009
- Received: 6 November 2008 Accepted: 2 December 2008
- 2008. Is tumor growth sustained by rare cancer stem cells or dominant clones? Cancer Research 68:4018–4021. , and .
- 2006. The oncolytic effect in vivo of reovirus on tumour cells that have survived reovirus cell killing in vitro. British Journal of Cancer 95:1020–1027. , , , , , , and .
- 1997. Antiangiogenic therapy of experimental cancer does not induce acquired drug resistance. Nature 390:404–407. , , , and .
- 1996. Active cell death induced by the anti-estrogens tamoxifen and ICI 164 384 in human mammary carcinoma cells (MCF-7) in culture: the role of autophagy. Carcinogenesis 17:1595–1607. , , , , , , et al.
- 1975. Mutation selection and the natural history of cancer. Nature 255:197–200.
- 2007. Breast tumor heterogeneity: cancer stem cells or clonal evolution? Cell Cycle 6:2332–2338. , and .
- 1984. Resistance to methotrexate due to gene amplification in a patient with acute leukemia. Journal of Clinical Oncology 2:16–20. , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Single agent versus combination chemotherapy for metastatic breast cancer. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews:CD003372. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Recent advances in cancer stem cells. Current Opinion in Genetics and Development 18:48–53. , and .
- 2003. Protective association of aspirin/NSAIDs and esophageal cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Gastroenterology 124:47–56. , , , and .
- 2000. Human acute myeloid leukemia CD34 + /CD38-progenitor cells have decreased sensitivity to chemotherapy and Fas-induced apoptosis, reduced immunogenicity, and impaired dendritic cell transformation capacities. Cancer Research 60:4403–4411. , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Evolutionary biology of cancer. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 20:545–552. , and .
- 1983. Unstable methotrexate resistance in human small-cell carcinoma associated with double minute chromosomes. New England Journal of Medicine 308:199–202. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Combination bacteriolytic therapy for the treatment of experimental tumors. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science of the United State of America 98:15155–15160. , , , , and .
- 2005. Oncolytic virotherapy for cancer treatment: challenges and solutions. The Journal of Gene Medicine 7:1380–1389. , and .
- 2005. Tumour stem cells and drug resistance. Nature Reviews. Cancer 5:275–284. , , and .
- 2004. Benefits of adding a drug to a single-agent or a 2-agent chemotherapy regimen in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: a meta-analysis. The Journal of the American Medical Association 292:470–484. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Recombinant oncolytic poliovirus eliminates glioma in vivo without genetic adaptation to a pathogenic phenotype. Molecular Therapy 16:1865–1872. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Effect of raloxifene on breast cancer cell Ki67 and apoptosis: a double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized clinical trial in postmenopausal patients. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers and Prevention 10:961–966. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. MET amplification leads to gefitinib resistance in lung cancer by activating ERBB3 signaling. Science 316:1039–1043. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Annual report to the nation on the status of cancer, 1975–2004, featuring cancer in American Indians and Alaska Natives. Cancer 110:2119–2152. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. The case for early detection. Nature Reviews Cancer 3:1–10. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Using evolution as a tool for controlling infectious diseases. In W. R.Trevathan, E. O.Smith, and J. J.McKenna, eds. Evolutionary Medicine, pp. 245–270. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1996. Introduction to Quantitative Genetics. Longmans Green, Harlow, Essex, UK. , and .
- 1985. Phylogenies and the comparative method. American Naturalist 125:1–15. .
- 2004. Problems of somatic mutation and cancer. Bioessays 26:291–299. , and .
- 2008. Cell lineage analysis of a mouse tumor. Cancer Research 68:5924–5931. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. NSAIDs modulate CDKN2A, TP53, and DNA content risk for progression to esophageal adenocarcinoma. PLoS Medicine 4:e67. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Clinical resistance to STI-571 cancer therapy caused by BCR-ABL gene mutation or amplification. Science 293:876–880. , , , , , , and .
- 2002. Multidrug resistance in cancer: role of ATP-dependent transporters. Nature Reviews Cancer 2:48–58. , , and .
- 2007. Darwinian medicine: a case for cancer. Nature Reviews Cancer 7:213–221.
- 2007. Cancer genome sequencing: the challenges ahead. Bioessays 29:783–794.
- 2006. Identifying cancer stem cells in solid tumors: case not proven. Cancer Research 66:1891–1895; discussion 1890.
- 2004. Acute myeloid leukemia originates from a hierarchy of leukemic stem cell classes that differ in self-renewal capacity. Nature Immunology 5:738–743. , , and .
- 1984. Gene amplification in a leukemic patient treated with methotrexate. Journal of Clinical Oncology 2:2–7. , , and .
- 2006. Distribution of fitness effects among beneficial mutations before selection in experimental populations of bacteria. Nature Genetics 38:484–488. , and .
- 1999. Levels of Selection in Evolution. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ. .
- 2005. EGFR mutation and resistance of non-small-cell lung cancer to gefitinib. New England Journal of Medicine 352:786–792. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Cancer selection. Nature Reviews Cancer 3:226–231. , , and .
- 2004. Population and evolutionary dynamics of phage therapy. Nature Reviews Microbiology 2:166–173. , and .
- 1999. Population biology, evolution, and infectious disease: convergence and synthesis. Science 283:806–809. , , and .
- 2005. Natural selection in neoplastic progression of Barrett’s esophagus. Seminars in Cancer Biology 15:474–483. , and .
- 2004a. The combination of genetic instability and clonal expansion predicts progression to esophageal adenocarcinoma. Cancer Research 64:7629–7633. , , , , , , and .
- 2004b. Selectively advantageous mutations and hitchhikers in neoplasms: p16 lesions are selected in Barrett’s esophagus. Cancer Research 64:3414–3427. , , , , , and .
- 2004c. Cancer prevention strategies that address the evolutionary dynamics of neoplastic cells: simulating benign cell boosters and selection for chemosensitivity. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers and Prevention 13:1375–1384. , , and .
- 2006. Genetic clonal diversity predicts progression to esophageal adenocarcinoma. Nature Genetics 38:468–473. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Mechanisms of tamoxifen-induced apoptosis. Apoptosis 6:469–477. , and .
- 2008. Natural selection’s challenge to the cancer stem cell hypothesis. Medical Hypotheses 71:471–472.
- 2006. Cancer as an evolutionary and ecological process. Nature Reviews Cancer 6:924–935. , , , and .
- 2004. Dynamics of cancer progression. Nature Reviews Cancer 4:197–205. , , and .
- 2003. Drug resistance and its clinical circumvention. In D. W.Kufe, J. F.Holland, and E.Frei, eds. Cancer Medicine. pp. 711–725. Ont., B. C. Decker, Hamilton. , , and .
- 2008. Genomic analysis of the clonal origins of relapsed acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Science 322:1377–1380. , , , , , , and .
- 1976. The clonal evolution of tumor cell populations. Science 194:23–28.
- 2007. Drug resistance in cancer – searching for mechanisms, markers and therapeutic agents. Expert Opinion on Drug Metabolism & Toxicology 3:805–817. , , , , and .
- 2006. Evolution and the Levels of Selection. Clarendon Press, Oxford.
- 2005. The genetic theory of adaptation: a brief history. Nature Reviews Genetics 6:119–127. .
- 2006. Neosquamous epithelium does not typically arise from Barrett’s epithelium. Clinical Cancer Research 12:1701–1706. , , , , , , and .
- 2008a. Defeating pathogen drug resistance: guidance from evolutionary theory. Evolution 62:3185–3191.
- 2008b. Integrating evolutionary biology into cancer biology. http://www.santafe.edu/events/workshops/index.php/Integrating_Evolutionary_Theory_into_Cancer_Biology .
- 2007. Animal Cell Differentiation Patterns Suppress Somatic Evolution. PLoS Computational Biology 3:e250. , , and .
- 2007. Breast cancer stem cells: a case of mistaken identity? Stem Cell Reviews 3:107–109.
- 2004. Selective oestrogen receptor modulators/new antioestrogens: a clinical perspective. Cancer Treatment Reviews 30:695–706.
- 2003. Mutations in the ABL kinase domain pre-exist the onset of imatinib treatment. Seminars in Hematology 40:80–82. , and .
- 2006. The Evolution of Antibiotic Resistance. In H. S.Seifert, and V. J.Dirita, eds. Evolution of Microbial Pathogens, pp. 221–241. ASM Press, Washington, D.C. , and .
- 2007. Sequential ABL kinase inhibitor therapy selects for compound drug-resistant BCR-ABL mutations with altered oncogenic potency. Journal of Clinical Investigation 117:2562–2569. , , , , , , and .
- 2008. Stem cells as common ancestors in a colorectal cancer ancestral tree. Current Opinion in Gastroenterology 24:59–63.
- 2007. Molecular definition of breast tumor heterogeneity. Cancer Cell 11:259–273. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Evolution in Health and Disease. Oxford University Press, Oxford. , and .
- 1999. Selection for androgen receptor mutations in prostate cancers treated with androgen antagonist. Cancer Research 59:2511–2515. , , , , , , and .
- 1984. Cytologic evidence for gene amplification in methotrexate-resistant cells obtained from a patient with ovarian adenocarcinoma. Journal of Clinical Oncology 2:8–15. , , , , and .
- 2005. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and risk of neoplastic progression in Barrett’s oesophagus: a prospective study. The Lancet Oncology 6:945–952. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Evolutionary Game Theory. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. , and .
- 2008. An evolutionary model for initiation, promotion, and progression in carcinogenesis. International Journal of Oncology 31(4):729–737. and
- 1995. In vivo amplification of the androgen receptor gene and progression of human prostate cancer. Nature Genetics 9:401–406. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Cancer stem cells in solid tumours: accumulating evidence and unresolved questions. Nature Review Cancer 8:755–768. , and .
- 2007. Evaluating therapeutic efficacy against cancer stem cells: new challenges posed by a new paradigm. Cell Stem Cell 1:497–501.
- 2004. Digital karyotyping identifies thymidylate synthase amplification as a mechanism of resistance to 5-fluorouracil in metastatic colorectal cancer patients. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 101:3089–3094. , , , , , , et al.