ORIGINAL ARTICLE: Heart disease is common in humans and chimpanzees, but is caused by different pathological processes
Article first published online: 27 JAN 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Special Issue: Evolutionary Medicine
Volume 2, Issue 1, pages 101–112, February 2009
How to Cite
Varki, N., Anderson, D., Herndon, J. G., Pham, T., Gregg, C. J., Cheriyan, M., Murphy, J., Strobert, E., Fritz, J., Else, J. G. and Varki, A. (2009), ORIGINAL ARTICLE: Heart disease is common in humans and chimpanzees, but is caused by different pathological processes. Evolutionary Applications, 2: 101–112. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2008.00064.x
- Issue published online: 27 JAN 2009
- Article first published online: 27 JAN 2009
- Received: 8 October 2008 Accepted: 11 December 2008
- 1983. Joint distribution of lipoprotein cholesterol classes. The Framingham study. Arteriosclerosis 3:260–272. , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Apolipoprotein E4 in macrophages enhances atherogenesis in a low density lipoprotein receptor-dependent manner. Journal of Biological Chemistry 282:7817–7824. , , , and .
- 2002. Innate and acquired immunity in atherogenesis. Nature Medicine 8:1218–1226. , , , , et al.
- 2005. The role of natural antibodies in atherogenesis. Journal of Lipid Research 46:1353–1363. , , , , et al.
- 1976. The nonhuman primates as models for studying human atherosclerosis: studies on the chimpanzee, the baboon and the rhesus macacus. Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology 67:33–64. , and .
- 2008. Management of chronic coronary disease: is the pendulum returning to equipoise? American Journal of Cardiology 101:69D–74D.
- 2004. Endurance running and the evolution of Homo. Nature 432:345–352. , and .
- 2008. Differential roles of cardiomyocyte and macrophage peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma in cardiac fibrosis. Diabetes 57:2470–2479. , , , , et al.
- 2001. Spontaneous plaque rupture and secondary thrombosis in apolipoprotein E-deficient and LDL receptor-deficient mice. Journal of Pathology 195:257–263. , , , , et al.
- 2008. Review of the evidence for the clinical utility of lipoprotein-associated phospholipase A2 as a cardiovascular risk marker. American Journal of Cardiology 101:41F–50F. , , and .
- 1983. Mortality factors in captive gorillas (Gorilla gorilla). International Zoo News 30:5–17.
- 2008. Lipid screening and cardiovascular health in childhood. Pediatrics 122:198–208. , and .
- 1984. Thrombosis and acute coronary-artery lesions in sudden cardiac ischemic death. New England Journal of Medicine 310:1137–1140. , and .
- 1995. The effect of increased salt intake on blood pressure of chimpanzees. Nature Medicine 1:1009–1016. , , , , et al.
- 2007. Mechanisms of cardiac fibrosis in hypertension. Journal of Clinical Hypertension (Greenwich) 9:546–550.
- 2006. Electrocardiogram abnormalities in captive chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes). Comparative Medicine 56:512–518. , , and .
- 1994. Lipoprotein[a] in the chimpanezee: relationship of apo[a] phenotype to elevated plasma Lp[a] levels. Journal of Lipid Research 35:263–270. , , , and .
- 2005. The metabolic syndrome. Lancet 365:1415–1428. , , and .
- 1993. Relation of apolipoprotein E phenotype to myocardial infarction and mortality from coronary artery disease. American Journal of Cardiology 71:160–165. , , , , et al.
- 2007. Change in salt intake affects blood pressure of chimpanzees: implications for human populations. Circulation 116:1563–1568. , , , , et al.
- 2002. Hypertension and coronary heart disease. Journal of Human Hypertension 16(Suppl. 1):S61–S63.
- 2007. Adipose tissue and atherosclerosis: exploring the connection. Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology 27:996–1003. , and .
- 1995. Sudden coronary death. Frequency of active coronary lesions, inactive coronary lesions, and myocardial infarction. Circulation 92:1701–1709. , , , , et al.
- 2008. The LDL to HDL cholesterol ratio as a valuable tool to evaluate coronary heart disease risk. Journal of the American College of Nutrition 27:1–5. , and .
- 2001. Atherosclerosis. the road ahead. Cell 104:503–516. , and .
- 2006. Advanced glycation end products: sparking the development of diabetic vascular injury. Circulation 114:597–605. , , , and .
- 2006. Cardiovascular disease in rheumatoid arthritis. Biomedicine and Pharmacotherapy 60:673–677. , , , , et al.
- 1981. Sudden death associated with atherosclerosis in a gorilla. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association 179:1306–1307. , , and .
- 1999. Determination of ancestral alleles for human single-nucleotide polymorphisms using high-density oligonucleotide arrays [see comments]. Nature Genetics 22:164–167. , , , , et al.
- 1993. Clinical parameters of the normal baboons (Papio species) and chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes). Laboratory Animal Science 43:236–243. , , , and .
- 1995. Arginine residues at codons 112 and 158 in the apolipoprotein E gene correspond to the ancestral state in humans. Atherosclerosis 112:85–90. , and .
- 1984. Diffuse myocardial fibrosis and congestive heart failure in an adult male chimpanzee. Veterinary Pathology 21:529–531. , , and .
- 2005. Inflammation, atherosclerosis, and coronary artery disease. New England Journal of Medicine 352:1685–1695.
- 2003. Periodontal disease and atherosclerosis: from dental to arterial plaque. Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology 23:1309–1311. , and .
- 2001. Hematologic and blood biochemical variables of captive chimpanzees: cross-sectional and longitudinal analyses. Comparative Medicine 51:60–69. , and .
- 2007. Molecular biology of PCSK9: its role in LDL metabolism. Trends in Biochemical Sciences 32:71–77. , , and .
- 2003. Normal hematologic and serum clinical chemistry values for captive chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes). Comparative Medicine 53:413–423. , , , , et al.
- 1991. Diseases and pathologies at the Southwest Foundation for Biomedical Research. American Journal of Primatology 24:1–8. , , and .
- 2001. Functional analysis of the chimpanzee and human apo(a) promoter sequences: identification of sequence variations responsible for elevated transcriptional activity in chimpanzee. Journal of Biological Chemistry 276:22209–22214. , , , , et al.
- 1999. Age-dependent association of apolipoprotein E genotype with coronary and aortic atherosclerosis in middle-aged men: an autopsy study. Circulation 100:608–613. , , , , et al.
- 2004. Global remodeling of the ventricular interstitium in idiopathic myocardial fibrosis and sudden cardiac death. Heart Rhythm 1:141–149. , , , , et al.
- 2008a. Interstitial myocardial fibrosis in a captive chimpanzee (Pan troglodytes) population. Comparative Medicine 58:389–394. , , , , et al.
- 2008b. Sudden cardiac death in 13 captive chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes). Journal of Medical Primatology 37(Suppl. 1):39–43. , , , and .
- 2004. Inflammation and atherosclerosis: role of C-reactive protein in risk assessment. American Journal of Medicine 116(Suppl. 6A):9S–16S. , and .
- 2003. A primer of primate pathology: lesions and nonlesions. Toxicologic Pathology 31(Suppl.):92–102.
- 1942. Coronary disease in the ape. American Heart Journal 23:719–724.
- 2002. Genetically altered mice with different sialyltransferase deficiencies show tissue-specific alterations in sialylation and sialic acid 9-O-acetylation. Journal of Biological Chemistry 277:32930–32938. , , , and .
- 1987. Cardiomyopathy associated with vitamin E deficiency in two mountain lowland gorillas. Proceedings of the First International Conference on Zoological and Avian Medicine 1:493. , , , and .
- 2006. Metabolic syndrome and diabetic atherothrombosis: implications in vascular complications. Current Molecular Medicine 6:501–514. , , , , and .
- 2007. Clinical epidemiology of heart failure. Heart 93:1137–1146. , and .
- 1990. Pathology and diseases of great apes at the National Zoological Park Zoo. Zoo Biology 9:99–105. , and .
- 2005. Effects of natural human antibodies against a nonhuman sialic acid that metabolically incorporates into activated and malignant immune cells. Journal of Immunology 175:228–236. , , and .
- 2006. Loss of Siglec expression on T lymphocytes during human evolution. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 103:7765–7770. , , , and .
- 2008. Diversity in specificity, abundance, and composition of anti-Neu5Gc antibodies in normal humans: potential implications for disease. Glycobiology 18:818–830. , , , , et al.
- 2007. Heart disease and stroke statistics--2007 update: a report from the American Heart Association Statistics Committee and Stroke Statistics Subcommittee. Circulation 115:e69–e171. , , , , et al.
- 1978. Systemic pathology of chimpanzees. Journal of Medical Primatology 7:274–318.
- 1995. Fibrosing cardiomyopathy in lowland gorillas (Gorilla gorilla gorilla) in the United States: A retrospective study. Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine 26:43–51. , , , and .
- 2008. Spontaneous heart disease in the adult chimpanzee (Pan troglodytes). Journal of Medical Primatology Jul 30. [Epub ahead of print]. , , , , et al.
- 2006. Mechanisms of disease: atherosclerosis in autoimmune diseases. Nature Clinical Practice. Rheumatology 2:99–106. , and .
- 2003. Development of an animal model for spontaneous myocardial infarction (WHHLMI rabbit). Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology 23:1239–1244. , , , , and .
- 2007. Cardiac manifestations in antiphospholipid syndrome. Autoimmunity Reviews 6:379–386. , , , and .
- 1976. Serum lipid and lipoprotein responses of six nonhuman primate species to dietary changes in cholesterol levels. Journal of Nutrition 106:1757–1767. , , , , and .
- 2006. Thematic review series: the pathogenesis of atherosclerosis. An interpretive history of the cholesterol controversy, part V: the discovery of the statins and the end of the controversy. Journal of Lipid Research 47:1339–1351.
- 2008. The statins in preventive cardiology. New England Journal of Medicine 359:1426–1427.
- The Chimpanzee Sequencing, Analysis Consortium. 2005. Initial sequence of the chimpanzee genome and comparison with the human genome. Nature 437:69–87.
- 1998. Laminar shear stress: mechanisms by which endothelial cells transduce an atheroprotective force. Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology 18:677–685. , and .
- 2008a. Multiple changes in sialic acid biology during human evolution. Glycoconjugate Journal Sep 7. [Epub ahead of print].
- 2008b. Sialic acids in human health and disease. Trends in Molecular Medicine 14:351–360.
- 2007. Genomic differences between humans and chimpanzees. Annual Review of Anthropology 36:191–209. , and .
- 2007. Diversity in cell surface sialic acid presentations: implications for biology and disease. Laboratory Investigation 87:851–857. , and .
- 2008. Explaining human uniqueness: genome interactions with environment, behaviour and culture. Nature Review. Genetics 9:749–763. , , and .
- 2005. Relative importance of borderline and elevated levels of coronary heart disease risk factors. Annals of Internal Medicine 142:393–402. , , , , et al.
- 1975. Somes aspects of the chimpanzee as a model for experimental atherosclerosis. Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology 63:359–369. , , , , and .
- 2001. Sudden cardiac death. Cardiovascular Pathology 10:211–218. , , and .
- 2008. Acute myocardial infarction. Lancet 372:570–584. , and .
- 2007. Systemic effects of smoking. Chest 131:1557–1566. , , , , and .