Genetic diversity and divergence among coastal and offshore reefs in a hard coral depend on geographic discontinuity and oceanic currents
Article first published online: 2 FEB 2009
© 2009 The Author. Journal compilation © 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 2, Issue 2, pages 222–233, May 2009
How to Cite
Underwood, J. N. (2009), Genetic diversity and divergence among coastal and offshore reefs in a hard coral depend on geographic discontinuity and oceanic currents. Evolutionary Applications, 2: 222–233. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2008.00065.x
- Issue published online: 15 APR 2009
- Article first published online: 2 FEB 2009
- Received: 22 July 2008 Accepted: 9 December 2008
- 2007. Fine-scale genetic structure overrides macro-scale structure in a marine snail: nonrandom recruitment, demographic events or selection? Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 91:23–36. , and .
- 1994. Evidence for restricted gene flow in the viviparous coral Seriatopora hystrix on Australia’s Great Barrier Reef. Evolution 48:1183–1201. , and .
- 2000. Genotypic diversity and gene flow in brooding and spawning corals along the Great Barrier Reef, Australia. Evolution 54:1590–1605. , and .
- 2004. Climate change, genotypic diversity and gene flow in reef-building corals. Ecology Letters 7:273–278. , and .
- 1988. Population structure in the coral Pavona cactus: clonal genotypes show little phenotypic plasticity. Marine Biology 99:495–505. , and .
- 2004. The ecology of coral larvae: settlement patterns, habitat selection and the length of the larval phase. Journal & Proceedings of the Royal Society of New South Wales 137:43.
- 2002. The estimation of population differentiation with microsatellite markers. Molecular Ecology 11:155–165. , and .
- 2006. Geographic variation in clonal structure in a reef-building Caribbean coral, Acropora palmata. Ecological Monographs 76:503–519. , , and .
- 2004. How to track and assess genotyping errors in population genetics studies. Molecular Ecology 13:3261–3273. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Gaia’s Handmaidens: the Orlog Model for conservation biology. Conservation Biology 19:1037–1043. , and .
- 2002. Tertiary foundations and quaternary evolution of the coral reef systems of Australias North West Shelf. In M.Keep, and S. J.Moss, eds. The Sedimentary Basins of Western Australia 3: Proceedings of the Petroleum Exploration Society of Australia, pp. 129–152. Petroleum Exploration Society of Australia, Perth, Australia.
- 2007. Population connectivity in marine systems an overview. Oceanography 20:3–21. , , , , and .
- 1993. Circulation in the Timor Sea. Journal of Geophysical Research 98:14379–14389. , , , and .
- Northern sources of the Leeuwin Current, and associated circulation on the North West Shelf. Journal of the Royal Society of Western Australia, in press. , , , and .
- 2007. Simulated Lagrangian pathways between the Leeuwin Current System and the upper-ocean circulation of the southeast Indin Ocean. Deep-Sea Research Part II Topical Studies in Oceanography 54:797–817. , , , , and .
- 1998. Microsatellites and minisatellites for molecular ecology: theoretical and empirical considerations. In G.Carvalho, ed. Advances in Molecular Ecology. pp. 55–86. IOS Press, Amsterdam. , and .
- 1992. Analysis of molecular variance inferred from metric distances among DNA haplotypes: Application to human mitochondrial DNA restriction sites. Genetics 131:479–491. , , and .
- 2001. Adaptive evolutionary conservation: towards a unified concept for defining conservation units. Molecular Ecology 10:2741–2752. , and .
- 2007. Connecting places. The ecological consequences of dispersal in the sea. Oceanography 20:90–99. , , , , and .
- 2002. Substantial asexual recruitment of mushroom corals contributes little to population genetics of adults in conditions of chronic sedimentation. Marine Ecology Progress Series 235:81–91.
- Biannual spawing, rapid larval development and evidence of self-seeding for corals on an isolated system of reefs. Marine Biology, in press. , , and .
- 1995. Fstat (version 1.2): a computer program to calculate F-statistics. Journal of Heredity 86:485–486.
- 1988. Hydrodynamic processes on the Ningaloo coral reef, Western Australia. Proceedings of the 6th International Coral Reef Symposium 2:497–502. , and .
- 1995. Leeuwin current observations on the Australian North West Shelf, May–June 1993. Deep-Sea Research Part I Oceanographic Research Papers 42:285–305.
- 1985. Leeuwin Current and wind distributions on the southern part of the Australian North West Shelf between January 1982 and July 1983. Australian Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 36:123–137. , and .
- 1982. Chaotic genetic patchiness in an intertidal limpet, Siphonaria sp. Marine Biology 70:157–164. , and .
- 1984. The Wahlund effect and the geographical scale of variation in the intertidal limpet Siphonaria sp. Marine Biology 79:295–302. , and .
- 1993. Genetic analysis of populations of northwestern Australian fish species. Marine and Freshwater Research 44:673–685. , , and .
- 2005. Propagule dispersal and the scales of marine community process. Diversity and Distributions 11:139–148. , , and .
- 2004. Unexpected patterns of genetic structuring among locations but not colour morphs in Acropora nasuta (Cnidaria; Scleractinia). Molecular Ecology 13:9–20. , , , , and .
- 2008. Protection of genetic diversity and maintenance of connectivity among reef corals within marine proteced areas. Conservation Biology 22:1245–1254. , and .
- 2003. Rapid settlement in broadcast spawning corals: implications for larval dispersal. Coral Reefs 22:99–106. , and .
- 2002. Strategies to protect biological diversity and the evolutionary processes that sustain it. Systematic Biology 51:238–254.
- 1972. Genetic distance between populations. American Naturalist 106:283–292.
- 1987. Molecular Evolutionary Genetics. Columbia University Press, New York.
- 2005. Genetic connectivity of the scleractinian coral Goniastrea aspera around the Okinawa Islands. Coral Reefs 24:318–323. , and .
- 2003. Larval settlement rates and gene flow of broadcast-spawning (Acropora tenuis) and planula-brooding (Stylophora pistillata) corals. Marine Ecology Progress Series 256:87–97. , , and .
- 2002. “Teddies” and the origin of the Leeuwin Current. Journal of Physical Oceanography 32:2571–2588. , , and .
- 2005. Temporal settlement patterns of larvae of the broadcast spawning reef coral Favites chinensis and the broadcast spawning and brooding reef coral Goniastrea aspera from Okinawa, Japan. Coral Reefs 24:274–282. , and .
- 2000. Coral reef disturbance and resilience in a human-dominated environment. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 15:413–417. , , and .
- 2004. MICRO-CHECKER: software for identifying and correcting genotyping errors in microsatellite data. Molecular Ecology Notes 4:535–538. , , , and .
- 2006. Estimation and adjustment of microsatellite null alleles in nonequilibrium populations. Molecular Ecology Notes 6:255–256. , , and .
- 2006. Conservation genetics and the resilience of reef-building corals. Molecular Ecology 15:3863–3883. , and .
- 2007. Ten microsatellite loci for the reef-building coral Acropora millepora (Cnidaria, Scleractinia) from the Great Barrier Reef, Australia. Molecular Ecology Notes 7:436–438. , , , and .
- 1995. Microsatellite analysis of population structure in Canadian polar bears. Molecular Ecology 4:347–354. , , , and .
- 1997. An empirical evaluation of genetic distance statistics using microsatellite data from bear (Ursidae) populations. Genetics 147:1943–1957. , , , , and .
- 1999. Genetic structure of the world’s polar bear populations. Molecular Ecology 8:1571–1584. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Global trajectories of the long-term decline of coral reef ecosystems. Science 301:955–958. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. GenAlEx 6: genetic analysis in Excel. Population genetic software for teaching and research. Molecular Ecology Notes 6:288–295. , and .
- 1985. The usefulness of tissue grafting bioassays as an indicator of coral identity in Scerlactinian corals. Proceeding of the 5th International Coral Reef Symposium 6:75. , and .
- 2005. Ecosystem recovery after climatic extremes enhanced by genotypic diversity. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 102:2826–2831. , , , and .
- 2007. Phylogeography and the conservation of coral reef fishes. Coral Reefs 26:501–512. , , and .
- 1994. Effects of genetic diversity in experimental stands of Solidago altissima: evidence for the potential role of pathogens as selective agents in plant-populations. Journal of Ecology 82:165–175.
- 1991. Mass spawning of corals on Western Australian reefs and comparisons with the Great Barrier Reef. Journal of the Royal Society of Western Australia 74:85–91.
- 2008. Resilience of coral communities on an isolated system of reefs following catastrophic mass-bleaching. Coral Reefs 27:197–205. , , and .
- 1996. Genetic distances and reconstruction of phylogenetic trees from microsatellite DNA. Genetics 144:389–399. , and .
- 1975. Excess allozyme homozygosity and breeding population structure in the mussel Mytilus californianus. Marine Biology 32:303–311. , , and .
- 2007. Multiple scales of genetic connectivity in a brooding coral on isolated reefs following catastrophic bleaching. Molecular Ecology 16:771–784. , , , and .
- 2009. Ecologically relevant dispersal of a brooding and a broadcast spawning coral at isolated reefs: implications for managing community resilience. Ecological Applications 19:18–29. , , , and .
- 1995. Corals in Space and Time. University of New South Wales, Sydney.
- 1985. Reproduction, recruitment and fragmentation in nine sympatric species of the coral genus Acropora. Marine Biology 88:217–233.
- 1999. Staghorn Corals of the World: A Revision of the Coral Genus Acropora. CSIRO Publishing, Collingwood, Vic.
- 2004. Non-random mating and population genetic subdivision of two broadcasting corals at Ningaloo Reef, Western Australia. Marine Biology 144:593–603.
- 1998. Settlement-competency periods of larvae of three species of scleractinian corals. Marine Biology 131:339–345. , and .
- The paleoceanography of the Leeuwin Current. Journal of the Royal Society of Western Australia, in press. , , , and .
- 2000. Genetic diversity and disease control in rice. Nature 406:718–722. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Mitochondrial DNA under siege in avian phylogeography. Molecular Ecology 17:2107–2121. , and .