PERSPECTIVE: Evolutionary biology and the avoidance of antimicrobial resistance
Version of Record online: 27 JAN 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Special Issue: Evolutionary Medicine
Volume 2, Issue 1, pages 40–51, February 2009
How to Cite
Read, A. F. and Huijben, S. (2009), PERSPECTIVE: Evolutionary biology and the avoidance of antimicrobial resistance. Evolutionary Applications, 2: 40–51. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2008.00066.x
- Issue online: 27 JAN 2009
- Version of Record online: 27 JAN 2009
- Received: 5 December 2008 Accepted: 11 December 2008
- 2004. Evolution of drug-resistance genes in Plasmodium falciparum in an area of seasonal malaria transmission in Eastern Sudan. Journal of Infectious Diseases 189:1239–1244. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Malaria parasites can develop stable resistance to artemisinin but lack mutations in candidate genes atp6 (encoding the sarcoplasmic and endoplasmic reticulum Ca2+ ATPase), tctp, mdr1, and cg10. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 50:480–489. , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Multicellular organization in bacteria as a target for drug therapy. Ecology Letters 8:800–810. , and .
- 2007. Evolution by any other name: antibiotic resistance and avoidance of the E-word. PLoS Biology 5:137–140. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Clone multiplicity of Plasmodium falciparum infections in individuals exposed to variable levels of disease transmission. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 92:580–585.
- 1999. 3. Genetic structure and dynamics of Plasmodium falciparum infections in the Kilombero region of Tanzania. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 93:11. , , and .
- 2005. Drug resistant Plasmodium falciparum in an area of seasonal transmission. Acta Tropica 94:260–268. , , , , and .
- 2005. Population biology and antimalarial resistance: the transmission of antimalarial drug resistance in Plasmodium falciparum. Acta Tropica 94:230–240. , and .
- 2008. Antimalarial dosing regimens and drug resistance. Trends in Parasitology 24:127–134. , , and .
- 2008. Antimalarial drug quality in the most severyly malarious parts of Africa – a six country study. PLoS ONE 3:e2132. , , , and .
- 2005. Insect resistance management in GM crops: past, present and future. Nature Biotechnology 23:57–62. , , , and .
- 1999. Short report: entomologic inoculation rates and Plasmodium falciparum malaria prevalence in Africa. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 61:109–113. , , and .
- 2006. Within-host competition in genetically diverse malaria infections: parasite virulence and competitive success. Evolution 60:1358–1371. , , , and .
- 2000. Cross-species interactions between malaria parasites in humans. Science 287:845–848. , , , , , , and .
- 2002. Origin and dissemination of Plasmodium falciparum drug-resistance mutations in South America. Journal of Infectious Diseases 186:999–1006. , , , and .
- 2001. Antimalarial drugs clear resistant parasites from partially immune hosts. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 45:2897–2901. , , , , and .
- 1996. Rapid turnover of Plasmodium falciparum populations in asymptomatic individuals living in a high transmission area. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 54:18–26. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Use of animalarial drugs in Mali: policy versus reality. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 59:376–379. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Development of reverse-transcription PCR techniques to analyse the density and sex ratio of gametocytes in genetically diverse Plasmodium chabaudi infections. Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology 156:199–209. , and .
- 2008. Fitness costs of resistance to antimalarial drugs. Trends in Parasitology 24:331–333. , and .
- 2001. Imperfect vaccines and the evolution of pathogen virulence. Nature 414:751–756. , , , and .
- 2007. Medicine sellers and malaria treatment in sub-Saharan Africa: what do they do and how can their practice be improved? American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 77:203–218. , , , , , and .
- 2008. The impact of HIV-1 on the malaria parasite biomass in adults in sub-Saharan Africa contributes to the emergence of antimalarial drug resistance. Malaria Journal 7:13. , , , , and .
- 2001. Modelling parasite drug resistance: lessons for management and control strategies. Tropical Medicine & International Health 6:883–890.
- 2003. Malaria control and the evolution of drug resistance: an intriguing link. Trends in Parasitology 19:70–73.
- 2006a. Gametocytocidal activity in antimalarial drugs speeds the spread of drug resistance. Tropical Medicine & International Health 11:1206–1217. .
- 2006b. Complex dynamics and stability of resistance to antimalarial drugs. Parasitology 132:615–624.
- 2000. Modelling a predictable disaster: the rise and spread of drug-resistant malaria. Parasitology Today 16:340–347. , and .
- 2005. The impact of antimalarial drug resistance mutations on parasite fitness, and its implications for the evolution of resistance. Drug Resistance Updates 8:43–50. , and .
- 2006. Tolerance is the key to understanding antimalarial drug resistance. Trends in Parasitology 22:71–77. , and .
- 2002. The evolution of drug-resistant malaria: the role of drug elimination half-life. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London Series B-Biological Sciences 357:505–519. , , and .
- 2000. Annual Plasmodium falciparum entomological inoculation rates (EIR) across Africa: literature survey, internet access and review. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 94:113–127. , , , and .
- 2008. Drug resistance and genetic mapping in Plasmodium falciparum. Current Genetics 54:223–239. , and .
- 2005. Drug-resistant malaria. Trends in Parasitology 21:494–498.
- 2004. Plasmodium falciparum clonal population dynamics during malaria treatment. Journal of Infectious Diseases 189:195–203. , , , and .
- 1985. Protective immunity to malaria: studies with cloned lines of Plasmodium chabaudi and P. berghei in CBA/Ca mice. I. The effectiveness and inter- and intra-species specificity of immunity induced by infection. Parasite Immunology 7:595–606. , and .
- 2008. Clinically immune hosts as a refuge for drug-sensitive malaria parasites. Malaria Journal 7:67. , , , and .
- 2003. Epidemiological models for the spread of anti-malarial resistance. Malaria Journal 2:3. , and .
- 2003. Reemergence of chloroquine-sensitive Plasmodium falciparum malaria after cessation of chloroquine use in Malawi. Journal of Infectious Diseases 187:1870–1875. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Forty years of erratic insecticide resistance evolution in the mosquito Culex pipiens. PLoS Genetics 3:2190–2199. , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Return of chloroquine antimalarial efficacy in Malawi. New England Journal of Medicine 355:1959–1966. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Compensatory mutations, antibiotic resistance and the population genetics of adaptive evolution in bacteria. Genetics 154:985–997. , , and .
- 1995. Changes in the resistance of Plasmodium falciparum to chloroquine in Hainan, China. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 73:483–486. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Drug resistance models for malaria. Acta Tropica 94:207–217.
- 1998. The evolution of multiple drug resistance in malaria parasites. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 92:188–195. , and .
- 2007. A shared Asian origin of the triple-mutant dhfr allele in Plasmodium falciparum from sites across Africa. Journal of Infectious diseases 196:165–172. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Antifolate resistance in Plasmodium falciparum: multiple origins and identification of novel dhfr alleles. The Journal of Infectious Diseases 194:189–197. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Common origin and fixation of Plasmodium falciparum dhfr and dhps mutations associated with sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine resistance in a low-transmission area in South America. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 51:2085–2091. , , , , and .
- 2008. Hitchhiking and selective sweeps of Plasmodium falciparum sulfadoxine and pyrimethamine resistance alleles in a population from central Africa. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 52:4089–4097. , , , , and .
- 2001. Executive document: evolution, science, and society – Foreword: evolution in the century of biology. American Naturalist 158:1–46. , and .
- 2002. Determinants of treatment response to sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine and subsequent transmission potential in falciparum malaria. American Journal of Epidemiology 156:230–238. , , , , , , and .
- 1996. Revisiting host/parasite interactions: molecular analysis of parasites collected during longitudinal and cross-sectional surveys in humans. Parasite Immunology 18:173–180.
- 2003. Recovery of chloroquine sensitivity and low prevalence of the Plasmodium falciparum chloroquine resistance transporter gene mutation K76T following the discontinuance of chloroquine use in Malawi. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 68:413–415. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Independent evolution of pyrimethamine resistance in Plasmodium falciparum isolates in melanesia. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 51:1071–1077. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. A selective sweep driven by pyrimethamine treatment in southeast Asian malaria parasites. Molecular Biology and Evolution 20:1526–1536. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Seasonal carriage of pfcrt and pfmdr1 alleles in Gambian Plasmodium falciparum imply reduced fitness of chloroquine-resistant parasites. Journal of Infectious Diseases 196:1613–1619. , , , , , , , et al.
- 1987. Chemotherapy and Drug Resistance in Malaria, vol. 1. Academic Press, London.
- 2005. The effect of treatment on pathogen virulence. Journal of Theoretical Biology 233:91–102. , , , and .
- 2006. Plasmodium vinckei: selection of a strain exhibiting stable resistance to arteether. Experimental Parasitology 114:129–132. , and .
- 2008. Differential effect of regional drug pressure on dihydrofolate reductase and dihydropteroate synthetase mutations in southern Mozambique. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 78:256–261. , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Evolutionary epidemiology 20 years on: challenges and prospects. Infection, Genetics and Evolution 9:108–123.
- Roll Back Malaria. 2008. The Global Malaria Action Plan. http://www.rbm.who.int/gmap/gmap.pdf (accessed on 2 January 2009).
- 2004. Competitive release of drug resistance following drug treatment of mixed Plasmodium chabaudi infections. Malaria Journal 3:33. , , , and .
- 2005. Virulence and competitive ability in genetically diverse malaria infections. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 102:7624–7628. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Antifolate antimalarial resistance in southeast Africa: a population-based analysis. Lancet 361:1174–1181. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Intercontinental spread of pyrimethamine-resistant malaria. Science 305:1124. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Genetic evidence for Plasmodium falciparum resistance to chloroquine and pyrimethamine in Indochina and the Western Pacific between 1984 and 1998. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 79:613–619. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Does the drug sensitivity of malaria parasites depend on their virulence? Malaria Journal 7:257. , , , and .
- 1999. The epidemiology of multiple Plasmodium falciparum infections. 11. Premunition in Plasmodium falciparum infection: insights from the epidemiology of multiple infections. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 93:S59–S64. , , , and .
- 2008. Pharmacokinetic determinants of the window of selection for antimalarial drug resistance. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 52:1589–1596. , and .
- 2004. History, dynamics, and public health importance of malaria parasite resistance. Clinical Microbiology Reviews 17:235–254. , , and .
- 2006. Malaria transmission intensity and the rate of spread of chloroquine resistant Plasmodium falciparum: why have theoretical models generated conflicting results? Infection, Genetics and Evolution 6:241–248. , , , , , and .
- 1997. Mixed-genotype infections of malaria parasites: within-host dynamics and transmission success of competing clones. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B 264:927–935. , , and .
- 2006. Monitoring chloroquine resistance using Plasmodium falciparum parasites isolated from wild mosquitoes in Tanzania. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 75:1182–1187. , , , , , and .
- 1988. Evidence of increased chloroquine sensitivity in Thai isolates of Plasmodium falciparum. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 82:37–38. , , , and .
- 2005. Fitness of drug-resistant malaria parasites. Acta Tropica 94:251–259. , , and .
- 2007. Competitive release and facilitation of drug-resistant parasites after therapeutic chemotherapy in a rodent malaria model. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 104:19914–19919. , , , , and .
- 1993. Treatment of Plasmodium falciparum malaria with pyrimethamine-sulfadoxine – selective pressure for resistance is a function of long elimination half-life. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 87:75–78. , and .
- 2004. Transporter of a malaria catastrophe. Nature Medicine 10:1169–1171.
- 2004. Antimalarial drug resistance. Journal of Clinical Investigation 113:1084–1092.
- 2008. Qinghaosu (Artemisinin): the price of success. Science 320:330–334.
- 2003. The de novo selection of drug-resistant malaria parasites. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B-Biological Sciences 270:545–554. , and .
- WHO. 2006. WHO Guidelines for the Treatment of Malaria. WHO, Geneva, Switzerland. http://www.who.int/malaria/docs/TreatmentGuidelines2006.pdf (accessed on 2 January 2009).
- WHO. 2008. World Malaria Report 2008. WHO, Geneva, Switzerland. http://malaria.who.int/wmr2008/malaria2008.pdf (accessed on 2 January 2009).
- 2008. Declining artesunate-mefloquine efficacy against falciparum malaria on the Cambodia-Thailand border. Emerging Infectious Diseases 14:716–719. , and .
- 2007. Molecular analysis of chloroquine resistance in Plasmodium falciparum in Yunnan Province, China. Tropical Medicine & International Health 12:1051–1060. , , , , , , et al.