Estimating fisheries-induced selection: traditional gear selectivity research meets fisheries-induced evolution
Version of Record online: 11 FEB 2009
© 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 2, Issue 2, pages 234–243, May 2009
How to Cite
Kuparinen, A., Kuikka, S. and Merilä, J. (2009), Estimating fisheries-induced selection: traditional gear selectivity research meets fisheries-induced evolution. Evolutionary Applications, 2: 234–243. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2009.00070.x
- Issue online: 15 APR 2009
- Version of Record online: 11 FEB 2009
- Received: 8 September 2008 Accepted: 13 January 2009
- 2007. The evolutionary pressure from fishing on size at maturation of Baltic cod. Ecological Modelling 204:246–252. , , , and .
- 2004. Estimating reaction norms for age and size at maturation when age at first reproduction is unknown. Evolutionary Ecology Research 6:659–678. , , , and .
- 1999. Comparison of the selectivity of three pelagic sampling trawls in a hydroacoustic survey. Fisheries Research 44:15–23. , , , and .
- 2008. Rapid depletion of genotypes with fast growth and bold personality traits from harvested fish populations. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 105:2919–2922. , and .
- 2007. Four decades of opposing natural and human-induced artificial selection acting on Windermere pike. Ecology Letters 10:512–521. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Sustaining fisheries yield over evolutionary time scales. Science 297:94–96. , and .
- 2005. Selective exploitation of early running fish may induce genetic and phenotypic changes in Atlantic salmon. Journal of Fish Biology 67:129–145. , , , and .
- 2006. Contrasting recreational and commercial fishing: searching for common issues to promote unified conservation of fisheries resources and aquatic environments. Biological Conservation 28:93–108. , and .
- 2007. Physiological and behavioral consequences of long-term artificial selection for vulnerability to recreational angling in a teleost fish. Physiological and Biochemical Zoology 80:480–490. , , , , and .
- 2009. Human predators outpace other agents of trait change in wild. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 106:952–954. , , , , , and .
- Evolutionary potential of a large marine vertebrate: quantitative genetic parameters in a wild population. Evolution, in press; doi: DOI: 10.1111/j.1558-5646.2008.00605.x. , , , , and . In press.
- 2007. Probabilistic maturation reaction norms: their history, strengths, and limitations. Marine Ecology Progress Series 335:253–269. , and .
- 2007. Trait changes in a harvested population a driven by a dynamic tug-of-war between natural and harvest selection. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 104:15799–15804. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Maturity changes in Norwegian spring-spawning herring Clupea harengus: compensatory or evolutionary responses? Marine Ecology Progress Series 272:245–256. , and .
- 2004. Adaptation changes in harvested populations: plasticity and evolution of age and size at maturation. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series B 271:415–423. , , and .
- 2003. Quantifying the roles of competing static gears: comparative selectivity of longlines and monofilament gill nets in a multi-species fishery of the Algarve (southern Portugal). Scientia Marina 67:341–352. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Gathering data for resource monitoring and fisheries management. In P. J. B.Hart, and J. D.Reynolds, eds. Handbook of Fish Biology and Fisheries, pp. 84–102. Blackwell Science, Oxford. , and .
- 2002. Trammel net and gillnet selectivity for Lithognathus mormyrus (L., 1758), Diplodus annularis (L. 1758) and Mullus barbatus (L., 1758) in the Adriatic and Ligurian seas. Fisheries Research 54:375–388. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Ecological and evolutionary consequences of size-selective harvesting: how much do we know? Molecular Ecology 17:209–220. , and .
- 2006. Disparate maturation adaptations to size-dependent mortality. Proceedings of the Royal Society B 273:2185–2192. , and .
- 2004. Using underwater video to directly estimate gear selectivity: the retention probability for walleye (Sander vitreus) in gill nets. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 61:168–174. , , and .
- 1999. Phenotypic and genetic architecture of juvenile morphometry in Chinook salmon. Journal of Heredity 90:597–606. , , and .
- 2008. Evolutionary consequences of fishing and their implications for salmon. Evolutionary Applications 2:388–408. , , , , , , and .
- 2000. Examining the effects of changes in the minimum legal sizes used in the Hauraki Gulf snapper (Pagrus auratus) fishery in New Zealand. Fisheries Research 45:179–187. , , and .
- 2001. A century of life-history evolution in grayling. Genetica 112–113:475–491. , and .
- 1998. Management of evolving fish stocks. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 55:1971–1982. .
- 2002. Fisheries-induced selection pressures in the context of sustainable fisheries. Bulletin of Marine Science 70:639–656. , and .
- 2002. Measuring probabilistic reaction norms for age and size at maturation. Evolution 56:669–678. , , and .
- 2008. Evolution of growth in Gulf of St. Lawrence cod? Proceedings of the Royal Society B 275:1111–1112. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Fisheries-induced changes in growth rates in marine fisheries: Are they significant? Bulletin of Marine Science 83:95–105. , and .
- 1999. Relative selectivity of Greenland halibut (Reinhardtius hippoglossoides, Walbaum) by trawls, longlines and gillnets. Fisheries Research 44:75–93. , , and .
- 2000. Relative selectivity in trawl, longline and gillnet fisheries for cod and haddock. ICES Journal of Marine Science 57:1271–1282. , , and .
- 2008. Consequences of sexual selection for fisheries-induced evolution: an exploratory analyses. Evolutionary Applications 1:129–136. , and .
- ICES. 2007. Report of the ICES Advisory Committee on Fishery Management, Advisory Committee on the Marine Environment and Advisory Committee on Ecosystems, 2007. ICES Advice. Books 8, 147 pp.
- 2001. Depths distributions and time-varying bottom trawl selectivities for Dover sole (Microstomus pacificus), sablefish (Anoplopoma fimbria), and thornyheads (Sebastolobus alascanus and S. altivelis) in a commercial fishery. Fishery Bulletin 99:309–327. , , and .
- 2001. Marine Fisheries Ecology. Blackwell Science, Oxford. , , and .
- 2006. Size-selection of cod by rigid grids–Is anything gained compared to diamond mesh codends only?. Fisheries Research 79:337–348. , , , and .
- 1999. Modeling environmentally driven uncertainties in Baltic cod (Gadus morhua) management by Bayesian influence diagrams. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 56:629–641. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Detecting and managing fisheries-induced evolution. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 22:652–659. , and .
- 2004. Assessing the effects on stocks of selectivity changes in a fishery. Fisheries Research 69:283–292. , and .
- 2000. Fishing, selection and phenotypic evolution. ICES Journal of Marine Sciences 57:659–668.
- 2007. Fisheries-induced evolution: present status and future directions. Marine Ecology Progress Series 335:271–277.
- 1995. Gear selectivity and the variation of yield. ICES Journal of Marine Science 52:827–836. .
- 1999. Size selectivity of sole gill nets fished in the North Sea. Fisheries Research 44:59–73. , , , and .
- 2007. Integrative perspectives on genetic and environmental effects on maturation can reduce potential error of inference. Marine Ecology Progress Series 335:301–310. , and .
- 1999. Estimating the size-selection curves of towed gears, traps, nets and hooks. Reviews in the Fish Biology and Fisheries 9:89–116. , and .
- 2007. Why age and size at maturity have changed in Pacific salmon. Marine Ecology Progress Series 335:289–294. , and .
- 1993. Performance and biological implications of a multi-gear fishery for Greenland halibut (Reinhardtius hippoglossoides). Journal of Northwest Atlantic Fishery Science 19:59–72. , , and .
- 2004. Maturation trends indicative of rapid evolution preceded the collapse of northern cod. Nature 428:932–935. , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Seasonal variation in trawl codend selectivity for annular sea bream (Diplodus annularis L., 1758). Turkish Journal of Veterinary & Animal Sciences 29:959–965. , , , and .
- 2006. Seasonal variation in trawl codend selection of northern North Sea haddock. ICES Journal of Marine Science 63:737–748. , , , , and .
- 1999. Using behavior and ecology to exploit schooling fishes. Environmental Biology of Fishes 55:157–181. .
- 2001. Demographic and evolutionary responses to selective harvesting in populations with discrete generations. Ecology 82:3093–3104. , and .
- 2006. Evolutionary regime shifts in age and size at maturation of exploited fish stocks. Proceeding of the Royal Society of London, Series B 273:1873–1880. , , and .
- 2006. Disruptive selection and then what? Trends in Ecology and Evolution 21:238–245. , , , and .
- 2006. Length-girth relationships for 30 marine fish species. Fisheries Research 78:368–373. , , , and .
- 1999. A neglected science: applying behavior to aquatic conservation. Environmental Biology of Fishes 55:183–201. .
- 2002. Measuring changes in the direction and magnitude of size-selective mortality in commercial fish population. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 59:361–371. , , and .
- 1994. Genetic analyses of size in an anadromous population of pink salmon. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 51:9–15. , , , and .
- 2002. Comparative fixed gear studies in the Cyclades (Aegean Sea): size selectivity of small-hook longlines and monofilament gill nets. Fisheries Research 58:25–40. , and .
- 2002. Gill net and longlines fisheries in Cyclades waters (Aegean Sea): species composition and gear competition. Fisheries Research 57:25–37. , , and .
- 2004. Effects of environmental variables of fish feeding ecology: implications for the performance of baited fishing gear and stock assessment. Journal of Fish Biology 65:1445–1471. .
- 1996. Mortality of herring escaping from pelagic trawl codends. Fisheries Research 25:305–321. , , and .
- 2007. Evolutionary response to size-selective mortality in an exploited fish population. Proceedings of the Royal Society B 274:1015–1022. , , and .
- 2008. A behavioral perspective on fisheries-induced evolution. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 23:419–421. , , , and .
- 2008. Empirical estimates of historical variations in the catchability and fishing power of pelagic longline fishing gear. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries 18:409–426. .
- 2004. Effects of fishing on growth traits: a simulation analyses. Fisheries Bulletin 103:392–403. , and .
- 2001. Catch rates and hook and bait selectivity in longline fishery Greenland halibut (Reinhardtius hippoglossoides, Walbaum) at East Greenland. Fisheries Research 51:237–246. , , , and .
- 2001. Modeling the size selectivities of a trawl codend and an associated square mesh panel. ICES Journal of Marine Science 58:657–671. , , , and .