Towards evolution-proof malaria control with insecticides
Article first published online: 27 APR 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 2, Issue 4, pages 469–480, November 2009
How to Cite
Koella, J. C., Lynch, P. A., Thomas, M. B. and Read, A. F. (2009), Towards evolution-proof malaria control with insecticides. Evolutionary Applications, 2: 469–480. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2009.00072.x
- Issue published online: 30 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 27 APR 2009
- Received: 27 November 2008 Accepted: 16 March 2009
- 1999. Age and size at maturity of the mosquito Culex pipiens infected by the microsporidian parasite Vavraia culicis. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series B: Biological Sciences 266:947–952. , , , and .
- 2007. Microsporidian parasites of mosquitoes. AMCA Bulletin No 7 23(Supplement to no. 2):3–29.
- 1980. Sensitivity analysis in the modelling of infectious disease dynamics. Journal of Mathematical Biology 10:113–131. , and .
- 2009. A possible mechanism for the suppression of the development of Plasmodium berghei in the mosquito Anopheles gambiae by the microsporidian Vavraia culicis. PLoS ONE 4:e4676. , and .
- 2004. Virulence reaction norms across a food gradient. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series B: Biological Sciences 271:739–744. , , , and .
- 2005. Fungal pathogen reduces potential for malaria transmission. Science 308:1638–1641. , , , , , , and .
- 2001. Pleiotropy of insecticide resistance in the codling moth, Cydia pomonella. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata 99:381–386. , , , and .
- 2004. Fitness costs of insecticide resistance in natural breeding sites of the mosquito Culex pipiens. Evolution 58:128–135. , , , and .
- 1987. Malaria. In D. J.Weatherall, J. G. G.Ledingham, and D. A.Warrell, eds. Oxford Textbook of Medicine, pp. 721–747. Oxford University Press, Oxford. , , and .
- 1998. Insecticide resistance and vector control. Emerging Infectious Diseases 4:605–613. , and .
- 1980. Evolution in Age-Structured Populations. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 1997. Survival and infection probabilities of anthropophagic anophelines from an area of high prevalence of Plasmodium falciparum in humans. Bulletin of Entomological Research 87:445–453. , , , , , and .
- 1996. Density, survival and dispersal of Anopheles gambiae complex mosquitoes in a West African Sudan savanna village. Medical and Veterinary Entomology 10:203–219. , , , , , and .
- 1985. Theoretical models of the use of insecticide mixtures for the management of resistance. Bulletin of Entomological Research 75:259–265.
- 1998. Can anything be done to maintain the effectiveness of pyrethroid-impregnated bednets against malaria vectors? Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. Series B: Biological Sciences 353:1769–1775. , , , , and .
- 2002. The role of agricultural use of insecticides in resistance to pyrethroids in Anopheles gambiae s.l. in Burkina Faso. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 67:617–622. , , , , , , et al.
- 1930. The Genetical Theory of Natural Selection. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 2001. Dissecting the cost of insecticide resistance genes during the overwintering period of the mosquito Culex pipiens. Heredity 87:441–448. , , , and .
- 1993. Resistance to Bacillus thuringiensis affects mating success of the diamondback moth(Lepidoptera: Plutellidae). Journal of Economic Entomology 86:1035–1039. , , , and .
- 1941. New Paths in Genetics. Allen & Unwin, London.
- 1966. The moulding of senescence by natural selection. Journal of Theoretical Biology 12:12–45.
- 2000. Anopheles funestus resistant to pyrethroid insecticides in South Africa. Medical and Veterinary Entomology 14:181–189. , , , , , and .
- 1978. Mosquitoes, Malaria and Man: A History of Hostilities Since 1880. Dutton, New York.
- 1985. The effect of larval density on adult longevity on a mosquito, Aedes sierrensis: epidemiological considerations. Journal of Animal Ecology 54:955–964.
- 2002. An overview of insecticide resistance. Science 298:96–97. , , and .
- 1999. Evaluation of the effect of mosquito age and prior exposure to insecticide on pyrethroid tolerance in Anopheles mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae). Bulletin of Entomological Research 89:329–337. , and .
- 2003. Efficacy of mosquito nets treated with insecticide mixtures or mosaics against insecticide resistant Anopheles gambiae and Culex quinquefasciatus (Diptera: Culicidae) in Côte d’Ivoire. Bulletin of Entomological Research 93:491–498. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Laboratory selection for and characteristics of pyrethroid resistance in the malaria vector Anopheles gambiae. Medical and Veterinary Entomology 19:271–275. , , , and .
- 2008. Lessons from the past: managing insecticide resistance in malaria control and eradication programmes. The Lancet Infectious Diseases 8:387–389. , , and .
- 2000. The potential impact of integrated malaria transmission control on entomologic inoculation rate in highly endemic areas. The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 62:545–551. , , , , , and .
- 1999. An evolutionary view of the interactions between anopheline mosquitoes and malaria parasites. Microbes and Infection 1:303–308.
- 1997. Blood-feeding success of the mosquito Aedes aegypti depends on the transmission route of its parasite Edhazardia aedis. Oikos 78:311–316. , and .
- 1999. A correlated response of a parasite’s virulence and life cycle to selection on its host’s life history. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 12:70–79. , and
- 2003. Epidemiological models for the spread of anti-malarial resistance. Malaria Journal 2:3. , and .
- 2003. A genetic correlation between age at pupation and melanisation immune response of the yellow fever mosquito Aedes aegypti. Evolution 56:1074–1079. , and .
- 1999. Food availability and parasite infection influence the correlated responses of life history traits to selection for age at pupation in the mosquito Aedes aegypti. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 12:760–769. , and .
- 2002. Stage-specific manipulation of a mosquito’s host-seeking behavior by the malaria parasite Plasmodium gallinaceum. Behavioral Ecology 13:816–820. , , and .
- 2009. Microsporidians as evolution-proof agents of malaria control? Advances in Parasitology 68:315–327. , , and .
- 2000. Experimental and molecular genetic analysis of the impact of pyrethroid and non-pyrethroid insecticide impregnated bednets for mosquito control in an area of pyrethroid resistance. Bulletin of Entomological Research 90:125–132. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Forty years of erratic insecticide resistance evolution in the mosquito Culex pipiens. PLoS Genetics 3:e205. , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Genetic contribution to variation in larval development time, adult size, and longevity of starved adults of Anopheles gambiae. Infection 6:410–416. , , , , , , and .
- 1988. Do agricultural insecticides select for insecticide resistance in mosquitoes? A look at the evidence. Parasitology Today 4:S17–S21.
- 1991. DDT resistance in Anopheles gambiae declines with mosquito age. Medical and Veterinary Entomology 5:261–265. , and .
- 2004. Historical review of malarial control in southern African with emphasis on the use of indoor residual house-spraying. Tropical Medicine and International Health 9:846–856. , , and .
- 1957. The Epidemiology and Control of Malaria. Oxford University Press, London.
- 2007. Estimating dispersal and survival of Anopheles gambiae and Anopheles funestus along the Kenyan coast by using mark-release-recapture methods. Journal of Medical Entomology 44:923–929. , , , , , , et al.
- 1993. Changes in enzyme titres with age in four geographical strains of Aedes aegypti and their association with insecticide resistance. Medical and Veterinary Entomology 7:11–16. , , and .
- 2007. Influence of indoor microclimate and diet on survival of Anopheles gambiae ss (Diptera: Culicidae) in village house conditions in western Kenya. International Journal of Tropical Insect Science 24:207–212. , , , and .
- 2007. Cytochrome P450-based resistance mechanism and pyrethroid resistance in the field Anopheles albimanus resistance management trial. Pesticide Biochemistry and Physiology 89:111–117. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Mixture for controlling insecticide-resistant malaria vectors. Emerging Infectious Diseases 14:1707–1714. , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. Anopheles gambiae gonotrophic cycle duration, biting and exiting behaviour unaffected by permethrin-impregnated bednets in The Gambia. Medical and Veterinary Entomology 11:71–78. , , , and .
- 2009. How to make an evolution-proof insecticide against malaria. PLoS Biology 7:e1000058. , , and .
- 1995. Aging: A Natural History. Scientific American Library, W.H. Freeman, New York. , and .
- 1997. Biological fitness of Culex quinquefasciatus (Diptera: Culicidae) susceptible and resistant to Bacillus sphaericus. Journal of Medical Entomology 34:5–10. , and .
- Roll Back Malaria. 2008. Global Malaria Action Plan for a Malaria-Free World. http://www.rbm.who.int/gmap/index.html .
- 2004. Entomopathogenic fungi for mosquito control: a review. Journal of Insect Science 4:19. , , , and .
- 2005. An entomopathogenic fungus for control of adult African malaria mosquitoes. Science 308:1641–1642. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. An integrated approach to malaria control. Clinical Microbiology Reviews 15:278–293.
- 2007. Revisiting the basic reproductive number for malaria and its implications for malaria control. PLoS Biology 5:e42. , , , and .
- 1998. Dispersal and survival of Anopheles funestus and A. gambiae s.l. (Diptera: Culicidae) during the rainy season in southeast Tanzania. Bulletin of Entomological Research 88:561–566. , , , and .
- 2007. Can fungal biopesticides control malaria? Nature Reviews Microbiology 5:377–383. , and .
- 1998. Commentary: malaria control in the 1990s. Bulletin of the World Health Organisation 76:11–16. , and .
- 2001. Efficacy and cost-effectivness of environmental management for malaria control. Tropical Medicine and International Health 6:677–687. , , and .
- 2008. Comparison of male reproductive success in malaria-refractory and susceptible strains of Anopheles gambiae. Malaria Journal 7:103. , , and .
- WHO. 2005a. Guidelines for Laboratory and Field Testing of Long-Lasting Insecticidal Mosquito Nets. http://whqlibdoc.who.int/hq/2005/WHO_CDS_WHOPES_GCDPP_2005.11.pdf .
- WHO. 2005b. Guidelines for Testing Mosquito Adulticides for Indoor Residual Spraying and Treatment of Mosquito Nets. http://whqlibdoc.who.int/hq/2006/WHO_CDS_NTD_WHOPES_GCDPP_2006.3_eng.pdf .
- WHO. 2008a. The World Malaria Report 2008. http://www.who.int/malaria/wmr2008/ .
- WHO. 2008b. Impact of Long-Lasting Insecticidal-Treated Nets (LLINs) and Artemisin-Based Combination Therapies (ACTs) Measured Using Surveillance Data, in Four African Countries. Global Malaria Program. Surveillance, Monitoring and Evaluation Unit, Geneva.
- 1957. Pleiotropy, natural selection, and the evolution of senescence. Evolution 11:398–411.