Climate change alters reproductive isolation and potential gene flow in an annual plant
Version of Record online: 27 APR 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 2, Issue 4, pages 481–488, November 2009
How to Cite
Franks, S. J. and Weis, A. E. (2009), Climate change alters reproductive isolation and potential gene flow in an annual plant. Evolutionary Applications, 2: 481–488. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2009.00073.x
- Issue online: 30 OCT 2009
- Version of Record online: 27 APR 2009
- Received: 15 January 2009 Accepted: 2 April 2009
- 2006. Evolution in closely adjacent plant populations X: long-term persistence of prereproductive isolation at a mine boundary. Heredity 97:33–37.
- 2007. Artificial selection shifts flowering phenology and other correlated traits in an autotetraploid herb. Heredity 99:641–648. , , and .
- 2004. A Primer of Ecological Genetics. Sinauer, Sunderland, MA. , and .
- 2005. Evolutionary responses to changing climate. Ecology 86:1704–1714. , , and .
- 2005. High diversity of oilseed rape pollen clouds over an agro-ecosystem indicates long-distance dispersal. Molecular Ecology 14:2269–2280. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Modeling and estimating pollen movement in oilseed rape (Brassica napus) at the landscape scale using genetic markers. Molecular Ecology 16:487–499. , , , and .
- 2007. Time after time: flowering phenology and biotic interactions. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 22:432–439. , , , , , and .
- 1996. Quantitative Genetics. Prentice Hall, Harlow. , and .
- 1981. Continuous-genotype models and assortative mating. Theoretical Population Biology 19:341–357.
- 1958. The Genetical Theory of Natural Selection. Dover Publications, New York.
- 2002. Rapid changes in flowering time in British plants. Science 296:1689–1691. , and .
- 2003. Assortative mating and plant phenology: evolutionary and practical consequences. Evolutionary Ecology Research 5:1–18.
- 2006. A steep cline in flowering time for Brassica rapa in southern California, I: Population-level variation in the field and the greenhouse. International Journal of Plant Sciences 167:83–92. , , , , , , and .
- 2008. A change in climate causes rapid evolution of multiple life-history traits and their interactions in an annual plant. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 21:1321–1334. , and .
- 2007. Rapid evolution of flowering time by an annual plant in response to a climate fluctuation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 104:1278–1282. , , and .
- 2008. The resurrection initiative: storing ancestral genotypes to capture evolution in action. Bioscience 58:870–873. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Genetics of Populations, 2nd edn. Jones and Bartlett Publishers, Boston.
- 2009. How does climate warming affect plant-pollinator interactions? Ecology Letters 12:184–195. , , , , and .
- 2008. Effects of climate change on phenology, frost damage, and floral abundance of montane wildflowers. Ecology 89:353–362.
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change [IPCC]. 2007. Climate change 2007: The physical science basis. Summary for policy makers. Contribution of working group I to the fourth assessment report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. (http://www.ipcc.ch).
- 1998. Genetics and Analysis of Quantitative Traits. Sinauer, Sunderland, MA. , and .
- 2006. Ecological and evolutionary responses to recent climate change. Annual Reviews in Ecology and Systematics 37:637–669.
- 2003. A globally coherent fingerprint of climate change impacts across natural systems. Nature 421:37–42. , and .
- 2003. Overlapping confidence intervals or standard error intervals: what do they mean in terms of statistical significance? Journal of Insect Science 3:34. , , and .
- 2002. Changed plant and animal life cycles from 1952 to 2000 in the Mediterranean region. Global Change Biology 8:531–544. , , and .
- 1985. Patterns of flowering phenology in communities, populations, individuals and single flowers. In J.White, ed. The Population Structure of Vegetation, pp. 571–593. Kluwer, Dordrecht.
- 1985. Phenological patterns of terrestrial plants. Annual Reviews in Ecology and Systematics 16:179–214. , and .
- 1995. Biometry. Freeman, New York. , and .
- 1998. Genetics and Analysis of Quantitative Traits II. Sinauer Press, Sunderland, MA. , and .
- 2005. Direct and indirect assortative mating: a multivariate approach to plant flowering schedules. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 18:536–546.
- 2004. Genetic variation in flowering time induces phenological assortative mating: quantitative genetic methods applied to Brassica rapa. American Journal of Botany 91:825–836. , and .
- 2009. Effects of genetic perturbation on seasonal life history plasticity. Science 232:930–934. , , , , , , et al.
- 1921. Systems of mating. Genetics 6:111–178.