Population-specific gene expression responses to hybridization between farm and wild Atlantic salmon
Version of Record online: 3 JUL 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 2, Issue 4, pages 489–503, November 2009
How to Cite
Normandeau, E., Hutchings, J. A., Fraser, D. J. and Bernatchez, L. (2009), Population-specific gene expression responses to hybridization between farm and wild Atlantic salmon. Evolutionary Applications, 2: 489–503. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2009.00074.x
- Issue online: 30 OCT 2009
- Version of Record online: 3 JUL 2009
- Received: 24 April 2009 Accepted: 29 April 2009
- 2008. Molecular insights into the evolution of crop plants. American Journal of Botany 95:113–122. , , and .
- 2001. Genetics and the fitness of hybrids. Annual Review of Genetics 35:31–52. , and .
- 2007. Brave New World: the epistatic foundations of natives adapting to invaders. Genetica 129:193–204. .
- 2008. Interspecific hybridization and introgression are associated with stock transfers in salmonids. Aquaculture 278:31–36. , , , , , , and .
- 1998. A genome-wide transcriptional analysis of the mitotic cell cycle. Molecular Cell 2:65–73. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Quantifying variation in gene expression. Molecular Ecology 16:2613–2616. , and .
- COSEWIC. 2006. COSEWIC Assessment and Update Status Report on the Atlantic Salmon Salmo salar (Inner Bay of Fundy Populations) in Canada. Ottawa, Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada.
- 2002. Evolution, consequences and future of plant and animal domestication. Nature 418:700–707.
- 1996, Introduction to Quantitative Genetics. Longman, Essex, UK. , and .
- 2008. Evaluating the role of natural selection in the evolution of gene regulation. Heredity 100:191–199. , and .
- 2000. Population differentiation in an annual legume: genetic architecture. Evolution 54:1157–1172. , and .
- 1997. Experimental tests of genetic divergence of farmed from wild Atlantic salmon due to domestication. ICES Journal of Marine Science 54:1051–1063. , and .
- 2000. Lifetime success and interactions of farm salmon invading a native population. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B-Biological Sciences 267:1517–1523. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Divergent compensatory growth responses within species: linked to contrasting migrations in salmon? Oecologia 153:543–553. , , , , and .
- 2008. Mixed evidence for reduced local adaptation in wild salmon resulting from interbreeding with escaped farmed salmon: complexities in hybrid fitness. Evolutionary Applications 1:501–512. , , , , and .
- 1995. Applications of selection for multiple traits in cage-reared Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). Aquaculture 137:213–217. , , and .
- 2003. Ocean thermal conditions in the post-smolt nursery of North American Atlantic salmon. ICES Journal of Marine Science 60:343–355. , , and .
- 2007. A critical review of adaptive genetic variation in Atlantic salmon: implications for conservation. Biological Reviews 82:173–211. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Microarrays in ecology and evolution: a preview. Molecular Ecology 11:17–24. .
- 2007. Assessing pH changes since pre-industrial times in 51 low-alkalinity lakes in Nova Scotia, Canada. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 64:1043–1054. , , and .
- 1997. Past, present, and future of genetic improvement in salmon aquaculture. ICES Journal of Marine Science 54:1009–1014. , and .
- 1998. East coast salmon aquaculture breeding programs: history and future. Canadian Stock Assessment Secretariat Research Document 98/157.
- 2006. The evolution of genetic architecture. Annual Review of Ecology Evolution and Systematics 37:123–157. .
- 2006. Genetic and ecological effects of salmon farming on wild salmon: modelling from experimental results. ICES Journal of Marine Science 63:1234–1247. , , , and .
- 2007. Adaptive gene expression divergence inferred from population genomics. PLoS Genetics 3:2007–2013. , , , , and .
- 2009. Reduced anti-predator responses in multi-generational hybrids between farmed and wild Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.). Conservation Genetics DOI DOI: 10.1007/s10592-009-9892-2. , , and .
- 2006. Segregating variation in the transcriptome: Cis regulation and additivity of effects. Genetics 173:1347–1364. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. The nature of fisheries- and farming-induced evolution. Molecular Ecology 17:294–313. , and .
- 2008. Gene expression variation in African and European populations of Drosophila melanogaster. Genome Biology 9: R12. , , , and .
- 2006. Domestication – from behaviour to genes and back again. Applied Animal Behaviour Science 97:3–15. .
- 1986. Atlantic Salmon (Salmo salar) of the Big Salmon River, Department of Fisheries and Oceans, New Brunswick, Pages 1–50, Can. Tech. Rep. Fish. Aquat. Sci.
- 2006. Phase-specific gene expression underlying morphological adaptations of the dimorphic human pathogenic fungus, Coccidioides posadasii. Fungal Genetics and Biology 43:545–559. , , , , , , et al.
- 1975. Evolution at 2 levels in humans and chimpanzees. Science 188:107–116. , and .
- 2005. Acidification Status within Some Atlantic Salmon Rivers of Nova Scotia, Pages 72. Department of Fisheries and Oceans, Biological Station, St Andrews, NB. , and .
- 2005. Survival and behaviour of post-smolt Atlantic salmon in coastal habitat with extreme tides. Journal of Fish Biology 66:485–498. , , and .
- 2006. Reduced genetic diversity and effective population size in an endangered Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) population from Maine, USA. Conservation Genetics 7:91–104. , and .
- 2008. Variation in genetic architecture of olfactory behaviour among wild-derived populations of Drosophila melanogaster. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 21:988–996. , , and .
- 2009. Differences in pathogen resistance within and among cultured, conservation-dependent, and endangered populations of Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar L. Environmental Biology of Fishes 84:69–78. , , , , and .
- 2002. Evolutionary genetics of invasive species. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 17:386–391. .
- 2000. Archaeology – the cradle of agriculture. Science 288:1602–1603. , , and .
- 1992. Changes of the fatty-acid composition in smolts of masu salmon (Oncorhynchus masou), associated with desmoltification and sea-water transfer. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology A, Comparative Physiology 103:221–226. , and .
- 1993. Embryogenesis – a question of pattern. Journal of Experimental Botany 44:359–374. , and .
- 2007. The Origins of Genome Architecture. Sinauer Associates Inc, Sunderland, MA. .
- 2000. Biotic invasions: causes, epidemiology, global consequences, and control. Ecological Applications 10:689–710. , , , , , and .
- 2001. The genetic architecture of quantitative traits. Annual Review of Genetics 35:303–339. .
- 2003. Fitness reduction and potential extinction of wild populations of Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar, as a result of interactions with escaped farm salmon. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B-Biological Sciences 270:2443–2450. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Rapid evolution of male-biased gene expression in Drosophila. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 100:9894–9899. , , , and .
- 2004. Local adaptation and genetics of acid-stress tolerance in the moor frog, Rana arvalis. Conservation Genetics 5:513–527. , , , , and .
- 2005. Genetics of adaptation and domestication in livestock. Livestock Production Science 93:3–14. , , , , , , et al.
- 1989. Ecology and Management of Atlantic Salmon. Chapman & Hall, London.
- 2001. The evolutionary impact of invasive species. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 98:5446–5451. , and .
- 2008. Prevalence and recurrence of escaped farmed Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) in eastern North American rivers. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 65:2807–2826. , , , , , , and .
- NASCO. 2007. Implementation Plan, Pages 51. North Atlantic Salmon Conservation Organization, Ottawa.
- 1999. Responses to two generations of index selection in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). Aquaculture 173:143–147. , , and .
- 2002. Variation in gene expression within and among natural populations. Nature Genetics 32:261–266. , , and .
- 1998. Why aren’t there more Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar)? Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 55:281–287. , , , , and .
- 2008. Detecting hybridization between wild species and their domesticated relatives. Molecular Ecology 17:285–293.
- 2006. Uncovering evolutionary patterns of gene expression using microarrays. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 21:29–37. , and .
- 2003. The genetic architecture necessary for transgressive segregation is common in both natural and domesticated populations. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London Series B-Biological Sciences 358:1141–1147. , , , and .
- 2006. Rapid parallel evolutionary changes of gene transcription profiles in farmed Atlantic salmon. Molecular Ecology 15:9–20. , , , and .
- 2008. Genetic consequences of interbreeding between farmed and wild Atlantic salmon: insights from the transcriptome. Molecular Ecology 17:314–324. , , , , and .
- 2001. The population biology of invasive species. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 32:305–332. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Fish and chips: various methodologies demonstrate utility of a 16,006-gene salmonid microarray. BMC Genomics 6:126. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Expansion of the genomics research on Atlantic salmon Salmo salar L. project (GRASP) microarray tools. Journal of Fish Biology 72:2051–2070. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Changes in gene expression as biochemical adaptations to environmental change: a tribute to Peter Hochachka. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology B-Biochemistry & Molecular Biology 139:519–529. .
- 1985. Changes in the rates of glycogenesis, glycogenolysis, lipogenesis, and lipolysis in selected tissues of the coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch) associated with parr-smolt transformation. Journal of Experimental Zoology 236: 5:54. , , and .
- 2005. Genetic differences between five major domesticated strains of Atlantic salmon and wild salmon. Journal of Fish Biology 67:118–128. , , and .
- 2000. Perspective: evolutionary developmental biology and the problem of variation. Evolution 54:1079–1091.
- 2004. Strong control, conservative point estimation and simultaneous conservative consistency of false discovery rates: a unified approach. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B-Statistical Methodology 66:187–205. , , and .
- 2008. The evolutionary consequences of biological invasions. Molecular Ecology 17:351–360. , and .
- 2006. All possible modes of gene action are observed in a global comparison of gene expression in a maize F-1 hybrid and its inbred parents. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 103:6805–6810. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Plastic and adaptive gene expression patterns associated with temperature stress in Arabidopsis thaliana. Heredity 99:143–150. , , and .
- 2008. Are cattle, sheep, and goats endangered species? Molecular Ecology 17:275–284. , , , , , , and .
- 1991. A review of local adaptation in Salmonidae, with particular reference to Pacific and Atlantic salmon. Aquaculture 98:185–207.
- 2004. Resolution of large and small differences in gene expression using models for the Bayesian analysis of gene expression levels and spotted DNA microarrays. BMC Bioinformatics 5: 54.
- 2003. Effective size in management and conservation of subdivided populations. Journal of Theoretical Biology 222:273–281. , and .
- 2005. Regional differentiation of North American Atlantic salmon at allozyme loci. Journal of Fish Biology 67:80–103.
- 2007. Variable gene expression in eukaryotes: a network perspective. Journal of Experimental Biology 210:1567–1575.
- 2006. Gene expression dynamics during germline specification in mice identified by quantitative single-cell gene expression profiling. Biology of Reproduction 75:705–716. , , , , and .
- 2006. Central questions in the domestication of plants and animals. Evolutionary Anthropology 15:105–117.