ORIGINAL ARTICLE: Size-selective fishing gear and life history evolution in the Northeast Arctic cod
Article first published online: 31 JUL 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Special Issue: Toward Darwinian fisheries management
Volume 2, Issue 3, pages 356–370, August 2009
How to Cite
Jørgensen, C., Ernande, B. and Fiksen, Ø. (2009), ORIGINAL ARTICLE: Size-selective fishing gear and life history evolution in the Northeast Arctic cod. Evolutionary Applications, 2: 356–370. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2009.00075.x
- Issue published online: 31 JUL 2009
- Article first published online: 31 JUL 2009
- Received: 2 December 2008 Accepted: 23 March 2009
- 2001. Modelling the adaptive dynamics of traits involved in inter- and intraspecific interactions: an assessment of three methods. Ecology Letters 4:166–175.
- 2005. The effect of adaptive change in the prey on the dynamics of an exploited predator population. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 62:758–766. , and .
- 2003. Principles of Animal Locomotion. Princeton University Press, Princeton and Oxford. .
- 2009. Quantifying selection pressures caused by recreational fishing. Evolutionary Applications 2:335–355. , , and .
- 2004a. Maternal age as a determinant of larval growth and survival in a marine fish, Sebastes melanops. Ecology 85:1258–1264. , , and .
- 2004b. Fisheries Sustainability via protection of age structure and spatial distribution of fish populations. Fisheries 29:23–32. , , , and .
- 2005. The importance in fishery management of leaving the big ones. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 20:356–358. , and .
- 2008. Rapid depletion of genotypes with fast growth and bold personality traits from harvested fish populations. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 105:2919–2922. , and .
- 2008. Tackling the old familiar problems of pollution, habitat alteration and overfishing will help with adapting to climate change. Marine Pollution Bulletin 56:1957–1958. .
- 2008. Darwinian fisheries science needs to consider realistic fishing pressures over evolutionary time scales. Marine Ecology Progress Series 369:257–266. , , , and .
- 2009. Effects of female spawning experience and larval size on feeding and growth of cod larvae Gadus morhua L. reared in mesocosms. Marine Biology Research 5:286–296. , , , , and .
- 2008. A review of quantitative genetic components of fitness in salmonids: implications for adaptation to future change. Evolutionary Applications 1:222–238. , and .
- 2006. The Worldwide Crisis in Fisheries. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. .
- 2000. Dynamic State Variable Models in Ecology. Oxford University Press, New York. , and .
- 2003. Undesirable evolutionary consequences of trophy hunting. Nature 426:655–658. , , , , , and .
- 2009. The role of experiments in understanding fishery-induced evolution. Evolutionary Applications 2:276–290. , and .
- 2002. Sustaining fisheries yields over evolutionary time scales. Science 297:94–96. , and .
- 2008. Can catch shares prevent fisheries collapse? Science 321:1678–1681. , , and .
- 2009. Human predators outpace other agents of trait change in the wild. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 106:952–954. , , , , , and .
- 1996. The dynamical theory of coevolution: a derivation from stochastic ecological processes. Journal of Mathematical Biology 34:579–612. , and .
- 1988. Evolution of life histories and yields in experimental populations of Daphnia magna. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 34:309–326. , and .
- 2009. Implications of fisheries-induced evolution for stock rebuilding and recovery. Evolutionary Applications 2:394–414. , , , , and .
- 2004. Adaptive changes in harvested populations: plasticity and evolution of age and size at maturation. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B-Biological Sciences 271:415–423. , , and .
- 1979. Population-genetic study of the effect of selective fishing on the growth rate of trout. Journal of the Fisheries Research Board of Canada 36:552–531. , , and .
- 2008. Ecological and evolutionary consequences of size-selective harvesting: how much do we know? Molecular Ecology 17:209–220. , and .
- 2006. Disparate maturation adaptations to size-dependent mortality. Proceedings of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 273:2185–2192. , and .
- 2003. Life-history evolution in harvested populations: the role of natural predation. Evolutionary Ecology Research 5:239–257. , , and .
- 1983. Genetic variation in quantitative traits and selective breeding in fish and shellfish. Aquaculture 33:51–72. .
- 1975. Review of gillnet selectivity. Journal of the Fisheries Research Board of Canada 3:1943–1969.
- 1996. Darwinian adaptation, population genetics and the streetcar theory of evolution. Journal of Mathematical Biology 34:511–532.
- 2002. Reaction norm analysis of fisheries-induced adaptive change and the case of the Northeast Arctic cod. ICES CM 2002 Y:14. , , and .
- 2008. Fisheries-induced changes in growth rates in marine fisheries: are they significant? Bulletin of Marine Science 83:95–105. , and .
- 1999. Models of Adaptive Behaviour: An Approach Based on State. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. , and .
- 2000. Relative selectivity in trawl, longline and gillnet fisheries for cod and haddock. ICES Journal of Marine Science 57:1271–1282. , , and .
- 2008. Spatial analysis shows that fishing enhances the climatic sensitivity of marine fishes. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 65:947–961. , , , and .
- 2009. Avoidance of fisheries-induced evolution: management implications for catch selectivity and limit reference points. Evolutionary Applications 2:324–334.
- 2008. The nature of fisheries- and farming-induced evolution. Molecular Ecology 17:294–313. , and .
- 1988. A review of the physiological and nutritional energetics of cod, Gadus morhua L, with particular reference to growth under farmed conditions. Aquaculture 70:1–19.
- 1990. Long-term changes in age at sexual maturity of Northeast Arctic cod (Gadus morhua L.). Journal Du Conseil 46:235–248.
- 2006. State-dependent energy allocation in cod (Gadus morhua). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 63:186–199. , and .
- 2006. The logic of skipped spawning in fish. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 63:200–211. , , , and .
- 2007. Managing the world’s evolving fish stocks. Science 318:1247–1248. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. The evolution of spawning migrations: the role of individual state, population structure, and fishing-induced changes. Ecology 89:3436–3448. , , , and .
- 1996. Variation in annual egg production in individual captive Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 53:610–620. , , , and .
- 2007. Detecting and managing fisheries-induced evolution. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 22:652–659. , and .
- 1976. Natural selection and random genetic drift in phenotypic evolution. Evolution 30:314–334.
- 2000. Fishing, selection, and phenotypic evolution. ICES Journal of Marine Science 57:659–668.
- 2007. Fisheries-induced evolution: present status and future directions. Marine Ecology-Progress Series 335:271–277.
- 1989. Evolution of yields from populations with age-specific cropping. Evolutionary Ecology 3:343–359. , and .
- 1993. Cohort-structured populations, selection responses, and exploitation of the North Sea cod. In T. K.Stokes, J. M.McGlade, and R.Law, eds. The Exploitation of Evolving Resources. Lecture Notes in Biomathematics, pp. 155–173. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Germany. , and .
- 2005. Human-induced dwarfing of Himalayan snow lotus, Saussurea laniceps (Asteraceae). Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 102:10218–10220. , and .
- 2002. Density-dependent growth as a key mechanism in the regulation of fish populations: evidence from among-population comparisons. Proceedings of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 269:49–54. , and .
- 1998. Improving the stock-recruitment relationship in Icelandic cod (Gadus morhua) by including age diversity of spawners. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 55:1372–1377. , and .
- 1998. A simplified formulation for fish production. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 55:478–484. , and .
- 1999. Estimating the size-selection curves of towed gears, traps, nets and hooks. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries 9:89–116. , and .
- 1957. Have the genetic patterns of fishing been altered by introductions or by selective fishing? Journal of the Fisheries Research Board of Canada 14:797–806.
- 1995. On evolutionarily stable life histories, optimization and the need to be specific about density dependence. Oikos 74:218–224. , and .
- 2006. Changes in spawning stock structure strengthen the link between climate and recruitment in a heavily fished cod (Gadus morhua) stock. Fisheries Oceanography 15:230–243. , , and .
- 2001. The population ecology of contemporary adaptations: what empirical studies reveal about the conditions that promote adaptive evolution. Genetica 112–113:183–198. , and .
- 1981. Changes in the average size and average age of Pacific salmon. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 38:1636–1656.
- 2009. Life history change in commercially exploited fish stocks: an analysis of trends across studies. Evolutionary Applications 2:260–275. , and .
- 1992. The Evolution of Life Histories. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 2002. Artificial evolution of life history and behavior. American Naturalist 159:624–644. , , and .
- 2006. Maladaptive changes in multiple traits caused by fishing: impediments to population recovery. Ecology Letters 9:142–148. , , , and .
- 1999. Linking recruitment to trophic factors: revisiting the Beverton-Holt recruitment model from a life history and multispecies perspective. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries 9:187–202. , and .
- 1978. Bioenergetics of pelagic fish: theoretical change in swimming speed and ration with body size. Journal of the Fisheries Research Board of Canada 35:220–228.