ORIGINAL ARTICLE: Is fishing selective for physiological and energetic characteristics in migratory adult sockeye salmon?
Version of Record online: 31 JUL 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Special Issue: Toward Darwinian fisheries management
Volume 2, Issue 3, pages 299–311, August 2009
How to Cite
Cooke, S. J., Donaldson, M. R., Hinch, S. G., Crossin, G. T., Patterson, D. A., Hanson, K. C., English, K. K., Shrimpton, J. M. and Farrell, A. P. (2009), ORIGINAL ARTICLE: Is fishing selective for physiological and energetic characteristics in migratory adult sockeye salmon?. Evolutionary Applications, 2: 299–311. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2009.00076.x
- Issue online: 31 JUL 2009
- Version of Record online: 31 JUL 2009
- Received: 13 December 2008 Accepted: 1 April 2009
- 2003. The transformation of behaviour field studies. Animal Behaviour 65:413–423. , and .
- 2003. Evolutionarily enlightened management. Biological Conservation 111:115–123. , , , , and .
- 1995. Stock identification of sockeye salmon by means of minisatellite DNA variation. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 15:249–265. , , and .
- 1987. Interindividual variability: an underutilized resource. In M. E.Feder, A. F.Bennett, W. W.Burggren, and R. B.Huey, eds. New Directions in Ecological Physiology, pp. 147–169. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 1958. Hyperactivity as a lethal factor in fish. Journal of the Fisheries Research Board of Canada 15:573–586.
- 1995. Energetics. In C.Groot, L.Margolis, and W. C.Clarke, eds. Physiological Ecology of Pacific Salmon, pp. 1–68. University of British Columbia Press, Vancouver.
- 2003. Hundred-year decline of North Atlantic predatory fishes. Fish and Fisheries 4:1–24. , , , , , , and .
- 2004. The impact of United States recreational fisheries on marine fish populations. Science 305:1958–1960. , , , and .
- 2000. Darwinian fishery science. Marine Ecology Progress Series 208:303–307.
- 2009. The role of experiments in understanding fishery-induced evolution. Evolutionary Applications 2:276–290. , and .
- 2004. The role of recreational fishing in global fish crises. Bioscience 54:857–859. , and .
- 2006. Contrasting recreational and commercial fishing: searching for common issues to promote unified conservation of fisheries resources and aquatic environments. Biological Conservation 128:93–108. , and .
- Is radio telemetry getting washed downstream? The changing role of radio telemetry in studies of freshwater ichthyofauna relative to other tagging and telemetry technology. American Fisheries Society Symposium (Tagging and Telemetry). Submitted June 2008. , and . In Review.
- 2005. Coupling non-invasive physiological and energetic assessments with telemetry to understand inter-individual variation in behaviour and survivorship of sockeye salmon: development and validation of a technique. Journal of Fish Biology 67:1342–1358. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006a. Mechanistic basis of individual mortality in Pacific salmon during spawning migrations. Ecology 87:1575–1586. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006b. Physiology of individual late-run Fraser River sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka) sampled in the ocean correlates with fate during spawning migration. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 63:1469–1480. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Physiological and behavioral consequences of long-term artificial selection for vulnerability to recreational angling in a teleost fish. Physiological and Biochemical Zoology 80:480–490. , , , , and .
- 2008a. Physiological correlates of coastal arrival and river entry timing in Late summer Fraser River sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka). Behavioural Ecology 19:747–758. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008b. Developing a mechanistic understanding of fish migrations by linking telemetry with physiology, behavior, genomics and experimental biology: an interdisciplinary case study on adult Fraser River sockeye salmon. Fisheries 33:321–338. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. A non-lethal method for assessing the somatic energy content of freely migrating adult Pacific salmon. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 134:184–191. , and .
- 2004. Energetics and morphology of sockeye salmon: effects of upriver migratory distance and elevation. Journal of Fish Biology 65:788–810. , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Behaviour and physiology of sockeye salmon homing through coastal waters to a natal river. Marine Biology 152:905–918. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Migration timing and in-river survival of Late-run Fraser River sockeye using radio-telemetry techniques. Report prepared by LGL Limited, Sidney, B.C for the Pacific Biological Station of Fisheries and Oceans Canada. , , , , , , and .
- 2001. Successful recovery of the physiological status of coho salmon on-board a commercial gillnet vessel by means of a newly designed revival box. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 58:1932–1946. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Pacific salmon in hot water: applying aerobic scope models and biotelemetry to predict the success of spawning migrations. Physiological and Biochemical Zoology 81:697–708. , , , , , , and .
- 1999. Laboratory selection for the comparative physiologist. Journal of Experimental Biology 202:2709–2718.
- 1983. Genetic variation in quantitative traits and selective breeding in fish and shellfish. Aquaculture 33:51–72.
- 1997. Selective breeding to improve aquaculture production. World Aquaculture 28:33–45.
- GrootC., and L.Margolis (eds.) 1991. Pacific Salmon Life Histories. University of British Columbia Press, Vancouver.
- 2000. Selection on morphology of spawning wild sockeye salmon by a gill-net fishery. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 129:1300–1315. , , , and .
- 2008. Individual variation in migration speed of upriver migrating sockeye salmon in the Fraser River in relation to their physiological and energetic status at marine approach. Physiological and Biochemical Zoology 81:255–268. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Fisheries-induced selection pressures in the context of sustainable fisheries. Bulletin of Marine Science 70:639–656. , and .
- 1992. Artificial selection experiments. Annual Reviews in Ecology and Systematics 23:287–310. , and .
- 2000. Effects of swim speed and activity pattern on success of adult sockeye salmon migration through an area of difficult passage. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 129:598–606. , and .
- 2005. Behavioural physiology of fish migrations: salmon as a model approach. In K. A.Sloman, R. W.Wilson, and S.Balshine, eds. Fish Physiology Series, Vol. 24, Behaviour and Physiology of Fish, pp. 239–295. Academic Press, New York. , , , and .
- 1990. Blood and circulation. In C. B.Schreck, and P. B.Moyle, eds. Methods for Fish Biology, pp. 273–334. American Fisheries Society, Bethesda, MD.
- 2000. Mortality during the migration of Fraser River sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka): a study of the effect of ocean and river environmental conditions in 1997. Canadian Technical Report of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 2315.
- 2000. The influence of extreme water temperatures on migrating Fraser River sockeye salmon during the 1998 spawning season. Canadian Technical Report of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 2326. , , , , , , et al.
- 1993. Methods for the nonlethal gill biopsy and measurements of Na+,K+-ATPase activity. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 50:656–658.
- 2000. Multivariate Statistics for Wildlife and Ecology Research. Springer-Verlag, New York. , , and .
- 2003. Rapid worldwide depletion of predatory fish communities. Nature 6937:280–283. , and .
- 2002. Towards sustainability in world fisheries. Nature 418:689–695. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Physiology and climate change. Science 5902:690–692. , and .
- 1955. Physiological variation in animals. Biological Reviews 30:229–262.
- 2009. Life-history traits and energetic status in relation to vulnerability to angling in an experimentally-selected teleost fish. Evolutionary Applications 2:312–323. , , , , and .
- 1981. Changes in the average size and average age of Pacific salmon. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 38:1636–1656.
- 2002. The physiology/life-historynexus. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 17:462–468. , and .
- 2007. River entry timing, survival, and migration behaviour of Fraser River sockeye salmon in 2006. Prepared for Pacific Salmon Commission, Vancouver BC. Prepared by LGL Limited Environmental Research Associates, Sidney, BC. , and .
- 2006. Mortality estimates of juvenile spring-summer Chinook salmon in the Lower Columbia River and estuary. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 135:457–475. , , , , and .
- 1995. The genetic impacts of human activities on wild fish populations. Reviews in Fisheries Science 3:91–108.
- 2005. Ionoregulatory changes in different populations of maturing sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka) during ocean and river migration. Journal of Experimental Biology 208:4069–4078. , , , , , , and .
- 1988. Nonparametric Methods for the Behavioral Sciences. McGraw-Hill, New York. , and .
- 1999. Physiological Diversity and its Ecological Implications. Blackwell Science, Oxford. , and .
- 2000. Fishing as an evolutionary force. Marine Ecology Progress Series 208:307–309. , and .
- 1971. Gill net selectivity on sockeye (Oncorhynchus nerka) and pink salmon (O. gorbuscha) of the Skeena. Journal of the Fisheries Research Board of Canada 28:821–842. , and .
- 2006. Conservation physiology. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 21:38–46. , and .
- 1945. Individual comparisons by ranking methods. Biometrics 1:80–83.
- 1970. Critical Values and Probability Levels for the Wilcoxon Rank Sum Test and the Wilcoxon Signed Rank Test. In H. L.Harter, and D. B.Owen, eds. Selected Tables in Mathematical Statistics, Vol. 1, pp. 171–259. Markham, Chicago. , , and .
- 2006. Physiological and energetic correlates of en route mortality for abnormally early migrating adult sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka) in the Thompson River, British Columbia. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 63:1067–1077. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Integrating physiology and life history to improve fisheries management and conservation. Fish and Fisheries 7:262–283. , , , , , , and .