SYNTHESIS: Life history change in commercially exploited fish stocks: an analysis of trends across studies
Version of Record online: 31 JUL 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Special Issue: Toward Darwinian fisheries management
Volume 2, Issue 3, pages 260–275, August 2009
How to Cite
Sharpe, D. M. T. and Hendry, A. P. (2009), SYNTHESIS: Life history change in commercially exploited fish stocks: an analysis of trends across studies. Evolutionary Applications, 2: 260–275. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2009.00080.x
- Issue online: 31 JUL 2009
- Version of Record online: 31 JUL 2009
- Received: 10 December 2008 Accepted: 8 May 2009
Vol. 4, Issue 5, 708, Version of Record online: 18 JUN 2011
- 1996. The effects of predation on the age and size of maturity of prey. Evolution 50:1052–1061. , and .
- 2007. The evolutionary pressure from fishing on size at maturation of Baltic cod. Ecological Modelling 204:246–252. , , , and .
- 2004. Long-term trend in the maturation reaction norm of two cod stocks. Ecological Applications 14:1257–1271. , , , and .
- 2005. Maturation of Newfoundland American plaice (Hippoglossoides platessoides): long-term trends in maturation reaction norms despite low fishing mortality? Ices Journal of Marine Science 62:56–64. , , , and .
- 1978. The selective effect of fishing on the population structure of species with a long life cycle. Journal of Ichthyology 18:896–904.
- 2004. Assessment of the cod stock in NAFO Subdivision 3Ps in October 2004. DFO Can. Sci. Advis. Sec. Res. Doc. 2004/083. , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Review of the structure, the abundance and distribution of American plaice (Hippoglossoides platessoides) in Atlantic Canada in a species-at-risk context. DFO Can. Sci. Advis. Sec. Res. Doc. 2007/069. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Changes in size-at-maturity of Baltic cod (Gadus morhua) during a period of large variations in stock size and environmental conditions. Fisheries Research 41:285–295. , and .
- 2007. Four decades of opposing natural and human-induced artificial selection acting on Windermere pike (Esox lucius). Ecology Letters 10:512–521. , , , , , et al.
- 2009. The role of experiments in understanding fishery-induced evolution. Evolutionary Applications 2: 276–290. , and .
- 2002. Sustaining fisheries yields over evolutionary time scales. Science 297:94–96. , and .
- 2005. Darwinian fishery science: lessons from the Atlantic silverside (Menidia menidia). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 62:730–737. , , , and .
- COSEWIC. 2003. Assessment and Status Update Status Report on the Atlantic cod Gadus Morhua, Committe on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada, Ottawa.
- 1997. Changes in size at maturity of Fraser River sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka) (1952–1993) and associations with temperature. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 54:1159–1165. , and .
- 2009. Human predators outpace other agents of trait change in the wild. Proceedings of the National Academcy of Sciences USA 106:952–954. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Probabilistic reaction norms: their history, strengths, and limitations. Marine Ecology-Progress Series 225:253–269. , and .
- 2009. Propensity of marine reserves to reduce the evolutionary effects of fishing in a migratory species. Evolutionary Applications 2:371–393. , , , and .
- 2007. An assessment of American plaice in NAFO Div. 3LNO. NAFO SCR Doc. 07/56. , , , , and .
- 2009. Implications of fisheries-induced evolution for stock rebuilding and recovery. Evolutionary Applications 2:394–414. , , , , and .
- 2004. Maturity changes in Norwegian spring-spawning herring Clupea harengus: compensatory or evolutionary responses? Marine Ecology-Progress Series 272:245–256. , and .
- 2004. Adaptive changes in harvested populations: plasticity and evolution of age and size at maturation. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B-Biological Sciences 271:415–423. , , and .
- 2008. Ecological and evolutionary consequences of size-selective harvesting: how much do we know? Molecular Ecology 17:209–220. , and .
- 2001. Assessment of the status of Div. 4TVW Haddock: 2000. DFO Can. Sci. Advis. Sec. Res. Doc. 2001/100. , , and .
- 1993. Quantification and comparison of evolutionary rates. American Journal of Science 293A:453–478.
- 2001. Rates of evolution on the time scale of the evolutionary process. Genetica 112–113:127–144.
- 1983. Genetic variation in quantitative traits and selective breeding in fish and shellfish. Aquaculture 33:51–72.
- 2002. Unpredictable evolution in a 30-year study of Darwin’s finches. Science 296:707–711. , and .
- 2003. Fisheries-induced trends in reaction norms for maturation in North Sea plaice. Marine Ecology-Progress Series 257:247–257. , , , , and .
- 1948. Suggestions as to quantitative measurement of rates of evolution. Evolution 3:51–56.
- 2001. A century of life-history evolution in grayling. Genetica 112:475–491. , and .
- 1998. Management of evolving fish stocks. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 55:1971–1982.
- 2008. Detecting fisheries-induced life history evolution: an overview of the reaction norm approach. Bulletin of Marine Science 83:69–93. , and .
- 2002. Fisheries-induced selection pressures in the context of sustainable fisheries. Bulletin of Marine Science 70:639–656. , and .
- 2002. Estimating reaction norms for age and size at maturation with reconstructed immature size distributions: a new technique illustrated by application to Northeast Arctic cod. ICES Journal of Marine Science 59:562–575. , , and .
- 1999. Perspective: the pace of modern life: measuring rates of contemporary microevolution. Evolution 53:1637–1653. , and .
- 2008. Human influences on rates of phenotypic change in wild animal populations. Molecular Ecology 17:20–29. , , and .
- 1999. Assessment of 4X haddock in 1998 and the first half of 1999. DFO Can. Sci. Advis. Sec. Res. Doc. 1999/147. , , , and .
- 2005. Life history consequences of overexploitation to population recovery in Northwest Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 62:824–832.
- 2005. Measuring marine fish biodiversity: temporal changes in abundance, life history and demography. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 360:315–338. , and .
- 1998. The effects of fishing on marine ecosystems. Advances in Marine Biology 34:201–352. , and .
- 1999. Structural changes in an exploited fish community: a consequence of differential fishing effects on species with contrasting life histories. Journal of Animal Ecology 68:617–627. , , and .
- 2007. Managing evolving fish stocks. Science 318:1247–1248. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Size-selective fishing gear and life history evolution in the Northeast Arctic cod. Evolutionary Applications 2:394–414. , , and .
- 2001. The pace of modern life II: from rates of contemporary microevolution to pattern and process. Genetica 112–113:145–164. , and .
- 2007. Does the probabilistic maturation reaction norm approach disentangle phenotypic plasticity from genetic change? Marine Ecology-Progress Series 335:295–299.
- 2007. Detecting and managing fisheries-induced evolution. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 22:652–659. , and .
- 2000. Fishing, selection, and phenotypic evolution. ICES Journal of Marine Science 57:659–668.
- 1989. Evolution of yields from populations with age-specific cropping. Evolutionary Ecology 3:343–359. , and .
- 2003. An assessment of the cod stock in NAFO Divisions 2J+3KL in February 2003. DFO Can. Sci. Advis. Sec. Res. Doc. 2003/023. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Atlantic cod. Status of Fishery Resources off the Northeastern US URL http://www.nefsc.noaa.gov/sos/spsyn/pg/cod.html. , and
- 1957. Have the genetic patterns of fishes been altered by introductions or by selective fishing? Journal of the Fisheries Research Board of Canada 14:797–806.
- 2002. Biological information relevant to the management of 4TVW haddock. DFO Can. Sci. Advis. Sec. Res. Doc. 2002/102. , and .
- 2002. An Assessment of American plaice in NAFO Subdivision 3Ps. DFO Can. Sci. Advis. Sec. Res. Doc. 2002/093. , , , and .
- 2007. An assessment of the cod stock in NAFO divisions 3NO. NAFO SCR Doc. 2007/40. , , and .
- 2007. Stock recruitment database, http://ram.biology.dal.ca/~myers/welcome.html .
- NEFSC. 2002. Final report of the working group on re-evaluation of biological reference points for New England groundfish. Northeast Fish. Sci. Cent. Ref. Doc. 02-04.
- 1987. Genetical conservation of exploited fishes. In M.Ryman, and F.Utter, eds. Population Genetics and Fisheries Management, pp. 345–368. Washington Sea Grant Program, Seattle. , and .
- 2009. Mitigating fisheries-induced evolution in lacustrine brook charr (Salvelinus fontinalis) in southern Quebec, Canada. Evolutionary Applications 2:415–437. , , , and .
- 2004. Maturation trends indicative of rapid evolution preceded the collapse of northern cod. Nature 428:932–935. , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Assessing changes in age and size at maturation in collapsing populations of Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 62:811–823. , , , , , and .
- 1993. Fishing as a cause of evolution in fishes. In T. K.Stokes, J. M.McGlade, and R.Law, eds. The Exploitation of Evolving Resources, pp. 8–18. Springer-Verlag, Berlin.
- R Development Core Team. 2007. R: A Language and Environmental for Statistical Computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
- 2001. Demographic and evolutionary responses to selective harvesting in populations with discrete generations. Ecology 82:3093–3104. , and .
- 2005. Can commercial fishing cause evolution? Answers from guppies (Poecilia reticulata). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 62:791–801. , and .
- 1990. Experimentally-induced life history evolution in a natural population. Nature 346:357–359. , , and .
- 1981. Changes in the average size and average age of Pacific salmon. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 38:1636–1656.
- 1993. Fisheries as a large-scale experiment on life-history evolution: disentangling phenotypic and genetic effects in changes in maturation and reproduction of North Sea plaice, Pleuronectes platessa L. Oecologia 96:391–401.
- 1998. Short-term effects of fishing on life history traits of fishes. ICES Journal of Marine Science 55:371–391.
- 2006. Evolutionary regime shifts in age and size at maturation of exploited fish stocks. Proceedings of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 273:1873–1880. , , and .
- 2003. Assessment of the Scotian shelf silver hake population to 2003. DFO Can. Sci. Advis. Sec. Res. Doc. 2003/117. , , , and .
- 1994. Genetic Diversity of Marine Fisheries Resources: Possible Impacts of Fishing. FAO Fisheries Technical Paper, FAO, 53 pages.
- 1983. The genetic basis of differences in life history traits among 6 populations of mosquitofish (Gambusia affinis) that shared ancestors in 1905. Evolution 37:618–627.
- 1992. The Evolution of Life Histories. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 2000. Fishing as an evolutionary force. Marine Ecology-Progress Series 208:307–309. , and .
- Stokes, T. K., J. M.McGlade, and R.Law. eds. 1993, The Exploitation of Evolving Resources. Springer-Verlag, Berlin.
- 1995. Age at maturity as a stress indicator in fisheries. BioScience 45:759–771.
- 2006. Continued decline of an Altantic cod population: how important is grey seal predation? Ecological Applications 16:2276–2292. , , and .
- 2006. Maladaptive changes in multiple traits caused by fishing: impediments to population recovery. Ecology Letters 9:142–148. , , , and .