ORIGINAL ARTICLE: Comparison of demographic and direct methods to calculate probabilistic maturation reaction norms for Flemish Cap cod (Gadus morhua)
Article first published online: 31 JUL 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Special Issue: Toward Darwinian fisheries management
Volume 2, Issue 3, pages 291–298, August 2009
How to Cite
Pérez-Rodríguez, A., Morgan, M. J. and Saborido-Rey, F. (2009), ORIGINAL ARTICLE: Comparison of demographic and direct methods to calculate probabilistic maturation reaction norms for Flemish Cap cod (Gadus morhua). Evolutionary Applications, 2: 291–298. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2009.00084.x
- Issue published online: 31 JUL 2009
- Article first published online: 31 JUL 2009
- Received: 8 January 2009 Accepted: 21 May 2009
- 1999. Sexual difference in maturation of northeast Arctic cod. Journal of Northwest Atlantic Fishery Science 25:1–15. , , and .
- 2004. Estimating reaction norms for age and size at maturation when age at first reproduction is unknown. Evolutionary Ecology Research 6:659. , , , and .
- 2005. Maturation of Newfoundland american plaice (Hippoglossoides platessoides): long-term trends in maturation reaction norms despite low fishing mortality? ICES Journal of Marine Science 62:56–64. , , , and .
- 1993. Determinants of maturation in animals. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 8:166–173.
- 2007. An ontogenetic perspective on the relationship between age and size at maturity. Functional Ecology 21:505–512. , and .
- 2009. The role of experiments in understanding fishery-induced evolution. Evolutionary Applications 2:276–290. , and .
- 1976. On changes in some biological parameters in the North Sea sole (Solea solea L.). Journal du Conseil International pour l’Exploration de la Mer 37:60–90.
- 2007. Probabilistic maturation reaction norms: their history, strengths, and limitations. Marine Ecology Progress Series 335:253–269. , and .
- 2007. Study of Reproductive Potential of Merluccius merluccius in the Galician Shelf. Phd. D. pp. 253+xxii. University of Vigo (Spain).
- 2005. Isolating the influence of growth rate on maturation patterns in the smallmouth bass (Micropterus dolomieu). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 62:844–853. , , and .
- 1993. An Introduction to the Bootstrap. Chapman & Hall, New York. , and .
- 2009. Implications of fisheries-induced evolution for stock rebuilding and recovery. Evolutionary Applications 2:394–414. , , , , and .
- 2004. Maturity changes in Norwegian spring-spawning herring Clupea harengus: compensatory or evolutionary resonses? Marine Ecology Progress Series 272:245–256. , and .
- 2008. Assessment of the cod stock in NAFO division 3M. SCR 08/26. , , , and .
- 1990. Back-calculation of fish length: a critical review. Journal of Fish Biology 36:883–902.
- 2003. Fisheries-induced trends in reaction norms for maturation in North Sea plaice. Marine Ecology Progress Series 257:247–257. , , , , and .
- 1986. Changes in size-and age-distributions and age at sexual maturity in Atlantic halibut, Hippoglossus hippoglossus, caught in North Norwegian waters. Fisheries Research 4:145–155. , and .
- 2008. Detecting fisheries-induced life-history evolution: an overview of the reaction-norm approach. Bulletin of Marine Science 83:69–93. , and .
- 2002. Measuring probabilistic maturation reaction norms for age and size at maturation. Evolution 56:669–678. , , and .
- 1990. Long-term changes in age at sexual maturity of Northeast Arctic cod (Gadus morhua L.). Journal du Conseil International pour l’Exploration de la Mer 46:235–248.
- 2000. Fishing, selection, and phenotypic evolution. ICES Journal of Marine Science 57:659–668.
- 1989. Evolution of yields from populations with age-specific cropping. Evolutionary Ecology 3:343–359. , and .
- 1999. The effect of interannual variation in growth and condition on haddock recruitment. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 56:347–355. , and .
- 2007. Fisheries-induced evolutionary changes in maturation reaction norms in North Sea sole (Solea solea). Marine Ecology Progress Series 351:189–199. , , and .
- 2006. Does size matter most? The effect of growth history on probabilistic reaction norm for salmon maturation. Evolution 60:1516–1521. , and .
- 2004. Maturation trends indicative of rapid evolution preceded the collapse of northern cod. Nature 428:932–935. , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Assessing changes in age and size at maturation in collapsing populations of Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 62:811–823. , , , , , and .
- 1981. Changes in the average size and average age of Pacific salmon. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 38:1636–1656.
- 1993a. Relationship between juvenile growth and the onset of sexual maturity of female North Sea Plaice, Pleuronectes platessa. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 50:1617–1631.
- 1993b. Fisheries as a large-scale experiment on life-history evolution: disentangling phenotypic and genetic effects in changes in maturation and reproduction of North Sea plaice, Pleuronectes platessa L. Oecología 96:391–401.
- 1992. The Evolution of Life Histories, Theory and Analysis. Chapman & Hall, London.
- 1933. The otoliths of the cod. Fiskeridirektoratets Skrifter Serie Havundersøkelser 4(3):1–18. .
- 1998. Histological assessment of variations in sexual maturity of cod (Gadus morhua L.) at the Flemish Cap (north-west Atlantic). ICES Journal of Marine Science 55:515–521. , and .
- 1999. Spawning biomass variation in Atlantic Cod (Gadus morhua) in Flemish Cap in relation to changes in growth and maturation. Journal of Northwest Atlantic Fisheries Science 25:83–90. , and .
- 2007. Growth and maturation dynamics. in press. , and .
- 2009. Life history change in commercially exploited fish stocks: an analysis of trends across studies. Evolutionary Applications 2:260–275. , and .
- 1997. Maternal effects – a link between the past and the future. Journal of Sea Research Proceedings of the Third International Symposium on Flatfish Ecology, Part I 37:213–227.
- 1992. The Evolution of Life Histories. Oxford University Press, New York. .
- 1984. Plasticity for age and size at sexual maturity: a life-history response to unavoidable stress. In G.Potts, and R. J.Wootton, eds. Fish Reproduction: Strategies and Tactics, pp. 13–33. Academic Press, London. , and .
- 1986. The evolution of phenotypic plasticity in life-history traits: predictions of reaction norms for age and size at maturity. Evolution 40:893–913. , and .
- 1999. Growth and maturation of haddock (Melanogrammus aeglefinus) in Icelandic waters. Journal of Northwest Atlantic Fishery Science 25:101–114. , and .
- 1995. Age at maturity as a stress indicator in fisheries. BioScience 45:759–771.
- 1997. Effects of adult age and size structure on reproductive output in marine fishes. In R. C.Chambers, and E. A.Trippel, eds. Early Life History and Recruitment in Fish Populations, pp. 31–62. Chapman and Hall, New York. , , and .
- 1998. Results from bottom trawl survey of Flemish Cap in July 1997. NAFO Scientific Council Reports: 38p. , , and .
- 1909. Weitere experimentelle Untersuchungen über Artveränderung, speziell über das Wesen quantitativer Artunterschiede bei Daphnien. Verhandlungen der Deutschen Zoologischen Gesellschaft 19:110–172.
- 2005. Temporal and Spatial Variation in Reproductive Investment of Haddock in the North Sea. ICES CM 2005/Q:7. ICES, Copenhagen.
- 2001. The relationship between otolith accretion and resting metabolic rates in juvenile Atlantic salmon during a change in temperature. Journal of Fish Biology 59:657–666. , , and .
- 2004. Temporal and spatial variation in reproductive investment of Atlantic cod Gadus morhua in the northern North Sea and Scottish west coast. Marine Ecology Progress Series 276:237–284. , and .
- 1993. Identification of female cod (Gadus morhua) from Flemish Cap (Northwest Atlantic) at the beginning of ripening. NAFO SCR, Doc. 25. , , and .