ORIGINAL ARTICLE: Avoidance of fisheries-induced evolution: management implications for catch selectivity and limit reference points
Version of Record online: 31 JUL 2009
© 2009 The Author. Journal compilation © 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Special Issue: Toward Darwinian fisheries management
Volume 2, Issue 3, pages 324–334, August 2009
How to Cite
Hutchings, J. A. (2009), ORIGINAL ARTICLE: Avoidance of fisheries-induced evolution: management implications for catch selectivity and limit reference points. Evolutionary Applications, 2: 324–334. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2009.00085.x
- Issue online: 31 JUL 2009
- Version of Record online: 31 JUL 2009
- Received: 1 February 2009 Accepted: 21 May 2009
- 2009. Quantifying selection differentials caused by recreational fishing: development of modeling framework and application to reproductive investment in pike (Esox lucius). Evolutionary Applications 2:335–355. , , and .
- 2004. Maternal age as a determinant of larval growth and survival in a marine fish, Sebastes melanops. Ecology 85:1258–1264. , , and .
- 1994. Growth, maturation, and longevity of maturation cohorts of Northeast Arctic cod. ICES Journal of Marine Science Symposium 198:482–501. , , and .
- 2008. Assessments of the cod (Gadus morhua) stock in NAFO Divisions 2J3KL (April 2007 and April 2008). Canadian Science Advisory Secretariat Research Document. 2008/086. 160p. , , , , , , , and .
- 2008. Precautionary harvest policies and the uncertainty paradox. Fisheries Research 94:367–372. , and .
- 2008. Molecular ecological approaches to studying the evolutionary impact of selective harvesting in wildlife. Molecular Ecology 17:221–235.
- 2002. Sustaining fisheries yields over evolutionary time scales. Science 297:94–96. , and .
- DFO. 2008. Stock assessment of northern (2J3KL) cod in 2008. DFO Canadian Science Advisory Secretariat Science Advisory Report 2008/034.
- 2007. Probabilistic maturation reaction norms: their history, strengths, and limitations. Marine Ecology Progress Series 335:253–269. , and .
- 2004. Adaptive changes in harvested populations: plasticity and evolution of age and size at maturation. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B 271:415–423. , , and .
- 2003. Fisheries-induced trends in reaction norms for maturation in North Sea plaice. Marine Ecology Progress Series 257:247–257. , , , , and .
- 1977. A gillnet fishery considered as an experiment in artificial selection. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 34:954–961. , , and .
- 2004. Evolution of chinook salmon life history under size-selective harvest. In: A. P.Hendry, and S. C.Stearns, eds. Evolution Illuminated: Salmon and Their Relatives, pp. 315–337. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1998. Management of evolving fish stocks. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 55:1971–1982. .
- 1992. Quantitative Fisheries Stock Assessment: Choice, Dynamics, and Uncertainty. Chapman and Hall, NY. , and .
- 1999. The influence of growth and survival costs of reproduction on Atlantic cod, Gadus morhua, population growth rate. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 56:1612–1623.
- 2005. Life history consequences of overexploitation to population recovery in Northwest Atlantic cod. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 62:824–832.
- 2000. Temporal changes in harvesting dynamics of Canadian inshore fisheries for northern Atlantic cod, Gadus morhua. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 57:805–814. , and .
- 2008. The nature of fisheries- and farming-induced evolution. Molecular Ecology 17:294–313. , and .
- 2008. Consequences of sexual selection for fisheries-induced evolution: an exploratory analysis. Evolutionary Applications 1:129–136. , and .
- 2007. Managing evolving fish stocks. Science 318:1247–1248. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Size-selective fishing gear and life history evolution in the Northeast Arctic cod. Evolutionary Applications 2:356–370. , , and .
- 2009. Estimating fisheries-induced selection: traditional gear selectivity research meets fisheries-induced evolution. Evolutionary Applications 2:234–243. , , and .
- 1991. On the quantitative genetics of correlated characters under directional selection in age-structured populations. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 331:213–223.
- 2007. Fisheries-induced evolution: present status and future directions. Marine Ecology Progress Series 335:271–277.
- 1989. Evolution of yields from populations with age-specific cropping. Evolutionary Ecology 3:343–359. , and .
- 1997. Size and condition of cod in Divisions 2J+3KL during 1978-1996. NAFO SCR Document 97/62.
- 2001. An assessment of the cod stock in NAFO Divisions 2J+3KL. Canadian Stock Assessment Secretariat Research Document 2001/044. , , , , , , and .
- 2003. An assessment of the cod stock in NAFO Divisions 2J+3KL in February 2003. Canadian Science Advisory Secretariat Research Document 2003/023. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Integrated responses on genetic and environmental effects on maturation can reduce potential for errors of inference. Marine Ecology Progress Series 335:301–310. , and .
- 1967. Fecundity of Atlantic cod. Journal of the Fisheries research Board of Canada 24:1531–1551.
- 2003. Small-scale temporal and spatial variation in Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua) life history. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 60:1111–1121. , and .
- 1992. How should we define ‘fitness’ for general ecological scenarios? Trends in Ecology and Evolution 7:198–202. , , and .
- 2001. Impacts of demographic variation in spawning characteristics on reference points for fishery management. ICES Journal of Marine Science 58:1001–1121. , , and .
- 1997. A stock status update for NAFO Division 2J+3KL cod. NAFO SCR Document 97/59. , , , , and .
- 1997. Direct estimates of gear selectivity from multiple tagging experiments. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 54:1–9. , and .
- 1995. Population dynamics of exploited fish stocks at low population levels. Science 269:1106–1108. , , , and .
- 2009. Mitigating fisheries-induced evolution in lacustrine brook charr (Salvelinus fontinalis) in southern Quebec, Canada. Evolutionary Applications 2:415–437. , , , and .
- 2004. Maturation trends indicative of rapid evolution preceded the collapse of northern cod. Nature 428:932–935. , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Assessing changes in age and size at maturation in collapsing populations of Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 62:811–823. , , , , , and .
- 1975. Estimates of natural mortality of the cod stock complex in ICNAF Divisions, 2J, 3K and 3L. ICNAF Research Bulletin 11:31–36.
- 2008. Experimental studies of evolution in guppies: a model for understanding the evolutionary consequences of predator removal in natural communities. Molecular Ecology 17:97–107. , , and .
- 1981. Changes in the average size and average age of Pacific salmon. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 38:1636–1656.
- 2002. Life History Evolution. Sinauer, Sunderland, MA.
- 1999. The allometry of energy reserve depletion: test of a mechanism for size-dependent winter mortality. Oecologia 119:474–483. , and .
- 1998. Comparison between a fixed and a variable fishing mortality control rule used to manage the cod stock off southern Labrador and the east coast of Newfoundland. Fisheries Research 37:275–286.
- 1992. The Evolution of Life Histories. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK.
- 2007. Evolutionary response to size-selective mortality in an exploited fish population. Proceedings of the Royal Society B 274:1015–1022. , , and .
- 1998. Egg size, viability and seasonal offspring production of young Atlantic cod. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 127:339–359.
- 2006. Maladaptive changes in multiple traits caused by fishing: impediments to population recovery. Ecology Letters 9:142–148. , , , and .
- 1996. Lessons for stock assessment from the northern cod collapse. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries 6:125–137. , and .