Quantifying six decades of fishery selection for size and age at maturity in sockeye salmon
Version of Record online: 3 JUL 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 2, Issue 4, pages 523–536, November 2009
How to Cite
Kendall, N. W., Hard, J. J. and Quinn, T. P. (2009), Quantifying six decades of fishery selection for size and age at maturity in sockeye salmon. Evolutionary Applications, 2: 523–536. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2009.00086.x
- Issue online: 30 OCT 2009
- Version of Record online: 3 JUL 2009
- Received: 20 January 2009 Accepted: 20 May 2009
- A general model for reconstructing salmon runs. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences. , and . In review.
- 2005. A versatile net selectivity model, with application to Pacific salmon and freshwater species in the Yukon River, Alaska. Fisheries Research 74:157–168.
- 1986. Effects of Gill Net Selectivity on Sockeye Salmon in the Egegik and Naknek-Kvichak Districts, Bristol Bay, Alaska. Masters of Science thesis, University of Alaska, Fairbanks, AK.
- 1964. Net Selectivity in Relation to Spawning Populations of Nushagak Sockeye Salmon. Research in fisheries contribution 166, University of Washington, College of Fisheries, Seattle, WA.
- 2002. Model Selection and Multimodel Inference: A Practical Information-Theoretic Approach. Springer, New York. , and .
- 2007. Four decades of opposing natural and human-induced artificial selection acting on Windermere pike (Esox lucius). Ecology Letters 10:512–521. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Undesirable evolutionary consequences of trophy hunting. Nature 426:655–658. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Sustaining fisheries yields over evolutionary time scales. Science 297:94–96. , and .
- 2009. Human predators outpace other agents of trait change in the wild. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 106:3. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Probabilistic maturation reaction norms: their history, strengths, and limitations. Marine Ecology Progress Series 335:253–269. , and .
- 2008. Spatial and Temporal Patterns of Migration and Population Structure in Sockeye Salmon. M.S. thesis, University of Washington, Seattle.
- 2007. Trait changes in a harvest population are driven by a dynamic tug-of-war between natural and harvest selection. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 104:15799–15804. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Ecological and evolutionary consequences of size-selective harvesting: how much do we know? Molecular Ecology 17:209–220. , and .
- 2008. Increase in maturation size after the closure of a high seas gillnet fishery on hatchery-reared chum salmon Oncorhynchus keta. Evolutionary Applications 1:376–387. , and .
- 2007. Size-selective harvesting alters life histories of a temperate sex-changing fish. Ecological Applications 17:2268–2280. , , , , , , and .
- 1975. Review of gillnet selectivity. Journal of the Fisheries Research Board of Canada 32:1943–1969.
- 2000. Selection on morphology of spawning wild sockeye salmon by a gill-net fishery. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 129:1300–1315. , , , and .
- 2002. Genetic consequences of hunting: what do we know and what should we do? Wildlife Society Bulletin 30:634–643. , , and .
- 1950. Problems, techniques, and experimental designs in animal investigations; animal breeding. Journal of Animal Science 9:475–483.
- 2003. Biocomplexity and fisheries sustainability. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 100:6564–6568. , , , and .
- 2004. Long-term trends in age-specific recruitment of sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka) in a changing environment. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 61:2455–2470. , and .
- 2004. The cod that got away. Nature 428:899–900.
- 2008. The nature of fisheries- and farming-induced evolution. Molecular Ecology 17:294–313. , and .
- 1994. What can be learned from the collapse of a renewable resource – Atlantic cod, Gadus morhua, of Newfoundland and Labrador. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 51:2126–2146. , and .
- 2008. Consequences of sexual selection for fisheries-induced evolution: an exploratory analysis. Evolutionary Applications 1:129–136. , and .
- 2009. Effects of population-specific variation in age and length on fishery selection and exploitation rates of sockeye salmon. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 66: 896–908. , and .
- 2007. Detecting and managing fisheries-induced evolution. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 22:652–659. , and .
- 2009. Estimating fisheries-induced selection: traditional gear selectivity research meets fisheries-induced evolution. Evolutionary Applications 2:234–243. , , and .
- 1968. Capture, sampling, and examination of fishes. In W. E.Ricker, ed. Methods for Assessment of Fish Production in Fresh Waters, pp. 7–45. Blackwell Science Publications, Oxford and Edinburgh.
- 2000. Fishing, selection, and phenotypic evolution. ICES Journal of Marine Science 57:659–668.
- 2007. Fisheries-induced evolution: present status and future directions. Marine Ecology Progress Series 335:271–277.
- 1989. Evolution of yields from populations with age-specific cropping. Evolutionary Ecology 3:343–359. , and .
- 1993. Cohort-structured populations, selection responses, and exploitation of the North Sea cod. In T. K.Stokes, J. M.McGlade, and R.Law, eds. The Exploitation of Evolving Resources, pp. 155–173. Lecture Notes in Biomathematics. Springer-Verlag, Berlin. , and .
- 2003. An Analysis of Options to Restructure the Bristol Bay Salmon Fishery. Bristol Bay Economic Development Corporation, Dillingham, AK. , , , , , and .
- 1963. Statistical Records and Computations n Red Salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka) Runs in the Nushagak District, Bristol Bay, Alaska, 1946–59. Special scientific report–fisheries 468, United States Fish and Wildlife Service, Washington, DC. , , and .
- 2001. Evidence for decline in stature of American ginseng plants from herbarium specimens. Biological Conservation 98:25–32.
- 1987. Sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka) management in Bristol Bay, Alaska. Canadian Special Publication of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 96:336–342. , and .
- 2002. Pacific salmon, nutrients, and the dynamics of freshwater and riparian ecosystems. Ecosystems 5:339–417. , , , and .
- 2004. Maturation trends indicative of rapid evolution preceded the collapse of northern cod. Nature 428:932–935. , , , , , , and .
- 1991. Fishing as a cause of evolution in fishes. In T. K.Stokes, J. M.McGlade, and R.Law, eds. The Exploitation of Evolving Resources, pp. 2–18. Springer-Verlag, Berlin.
- 1999. Relationship among adult body length, abundance, and ocean temperature for British Columbia and Alaska sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka), 1967–1997. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 56:1716–1720. , and .
- 1999. Patterns of covariance in length and age at maturity of British Columbia and Alaska sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka) stocks. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 56:1046–1057. , , , and .
- 2005. The Behavior and Ecology of Pacific Salmon and Trout. University of Washington Press, Seattle, WA.
- 1995. The influence of life history trade-offs and the size of incubation gravels on egg size variation in sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka). Oikos 74:425–438. , , and .
- 2007. Directional selection by fisheries and the timing of sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka) migrations. Ecological Applications 17:731–739. , , , , and .
- 2009. Anadromy and the life history of salmonid fishes: nature, nurture, and the hand of man. In A. J.Haro, K. L.Smith, R. A.Rulifson, C. M.Moffitt, R. J.Klauda, M. J.Dadswell, R. A.Cunjak et al. eds. Challenges for Diadromous Fishes in a Dynamic Global Environment. American Fisheries Society Symposium 69, Bethesda, MD. , , , and .
- 1969. Fish size parameters useful in estimating gill-net selectivity. Progressive Fish-Culturist 31:57–59.
- 1981. Changes in the average size and average age of Pacific salmon. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 38:1636–1656.
- 1993. Factors affecting marine growth of Bristol Bay sockeye salmon. Fisheries Research 18:89–103. , and .
- 2003. Competition between Asian pink salmon (Oncorhynchus gorbuscha) and Alaska sockeye salmon (O. nerka) in the North Pacific Ocean. Fisheries Oceanography 12:209–219. , , , , and .
- 2002. Measuring changes in the direction and magnitude of size-selective mortality in a commercial fish population. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 59:361–371. , , and .
- 1989. Natural selection of wild reinderr life history traits by food limitation and predation. Oikos 55:101–110.
- 1999. Egg burial depth by sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka): implications for survival of embryos and natural selection on female body size. Canadian Journal of Zoology 77:836–841. , and .
- 2007. Evolutionary response to size-selective mortality in an exploited fish population. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B: Biological Sciences 274:1015–1022. , , and .
- 1971. Gillnet selectivity on sockeye (Oncorhynchus nerka) and pink salmon (O. gorbuscha) of the Skeena River system, British Columbia. Journal of the Fisheries Research Board of Canada 28:821–842. , and .
- 1995. Age at maturity as a stress indicator in fisheries. BioScience 45:759–771.
- 2006. Maladaptive changes in multiple traits caused by fishing: impediments to population recovery. Ecology Letters 9:142–148. , , , and .
- 2004. Fisheries Ecology and Management. Princeton University Press, Princeton. , and .
- 2004. Temporal and spatial variation in reproductive investment of Atlantic cod Gadus morhua in the northern North Sea and Scottish west coast. Marine Ecology Progress Series 276:237–248. , and .