ORIGINAL ARTICLE: Propensity of marine reserves to reduce the evolutionary effects of fishing in a migratory species
Article first published online: 31 JUL 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Special Issue: Toward Darwinian fisheries management
Volume 2, Issue 3, pages 371–393, August 2009
How to Cite
Dunlop, E. S., Baskett, M. L., Heino, M. and Dieckmann, U. (2009), ORIGINAL ARTICLE: Propensity of marine reserves to reduce the evolutionary effects of fishing in a migratory species. Evolutionary Applications, 2: 371–393. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2009.00089.x
- Issue published online: 31 JUL 2009
- Article first published online: 31 JUL 2009
- Received: 21 April 2009 Accepted: 1 June 2009
- 2007. Local replenishment of coral reef fish populations in a marine reserve. Science 316:742–744. , , , , and .
- 2009. Quantifying selection differentials caused by recreational fishing: development of modeling framework and application to reproductive investment in pike (Esox lucius). Evolutionary Applications 2:335–355. , , and .
- 2004. Long-term trend in the maturation reaction norm of two cod stocks. Ecological Applications 14:1257–1271. , , , and .
- 2005. Marine reserve design and the evolution of size at maturation in harvested fish. Ecological Applications 15:882–901. , , , and .
- 2006. Predation, competition, and the recovery of overexploited fish stocks in marine reserves. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 63:1214–1229. , , and .
- 2007a. Designing marine reserves for interacting species: insights from theory. Biological Conservation 137:163–179. , , and .
- 2007b. The evolution of dispersal in reserve networks. American Naturalist 170:59–78. , , and .
- 2001. Dependence of sustainability on the configuration of marine reserves and larval dispersal distance. Ecology Letters 4:144–150. , , and .
- 2008. The role of fisheries-induced evolution. Science 320:47. , , and .
- 2002. Timing of Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua L.) seasonal migrations in the southern Gulf of St Lawrence: interannual variability and proximate control. ICES Journal of Marine Science 59:333–351. , , and .
- 2002. Sustaining fisheries yields over evolutionary time scales. Science 297:94–96. , and .
- 2007. Faith, evolution, and the burden of proof. Fisheries 32:90–91. , and .
- 2006. Spatial and temporal scales of adaptive divergence in marine fishes and the implications for conservation. Journal of Fish Biology 69:21–47. , , , and .
- 2009. Reversal of evolutionary downsizing caused by selective harvest of large fish. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series B: Biological Sciences 276:2015–2020. , , and .
- 1998. Principles for sustainable governance of the oceans. Science 281:198–199. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Probabilistic maturation reaction norms: their history, strengths, and limitations. Marine Ecology Progress Series 335:253–269. , and .
- 2007. Demographic and evolutionary consequences of selective mortality: predictions from an eco-genetic model for smallmouth bass. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 136:749–765. , , and .
- 2009a. Towards Darwinian fisheries management. Evolutionary Applications 2:245–260. , , , and .
- 2009b. Eco-genetic modeling of contemporary life-history evolution. Ecological Applications (in press). , , and .
- 2009. Implications of fisheries-induced evolution for stock rebuilding and recovery. Evolutionary Applications 2:394–414. , , , , and .
- 2004. Adaptive changes in harvested populations: plasticity and evolution of age and size at maturation. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series B: Biological Sciences 271:415–423. , , and .
- 1996. Introduction to Quantitative Genetics. Longman, Essex, UK. , and .
- 2007. Fisheries management – ten commandments for ecosystem-based fisheries scientists. Fisheries 32:217–233. , , , , and .
- 2003. Life-history evolution in harvested populations: the role of natural predation. Evolutionary Ecology Research 5:239–257. , , and .
- 2006. Density-dependent body growth reduces the potential of marine reserves to enhance yields. Journal of Applied Ecology 43:61–69. , , and .
- 2005. Marine reserves exploit population structure and life history in potentially improving fisheries yields. Ecological Applications 15:2180–2191. , , , and .
- 2003. Benefits beyond boundaries: the fishery effects of marine reserves. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 18:448–455. , and .
- 2003. Population models for marine reserve design: a retrospective and prospective synthesis. Ecological Applications 13:S47–S64. , , , , , , and .
- 2005. The role of dispersal and demography in determining the efficacy of marine reserves. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 62:863–871. , , , and .
- 2003. Fluctuation in stock properties of north-east Arctic cod related to long-term environmental changes. Fish and Fisheries 4:121–137.
- 2003. Fisheries-induced trends in reaction norms for maturation in North Sea plaice. Marine Ecology Progress Series 257:247–257. , , , , and .
- 2005. Individual-based Modeling and Ecology: Princeton Series in Theoretical and Computational Biology. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, USA. , and .
- 1999. An age-structured model showing the benefits of marine reserves in controlling overexploitation. Fisheries Research 39:295–303. , and .
- 1988. Reproductive effort as a predictor of natural mortality rate. Journal du Conseil – Conseil International pour l’Exploration de la Mer 44:200–209. , and .
- 2003. The impact of marine reserves: do reserves work and does reserve size matter? Ecological Applications 13:S117–S137.
- 2002. Marine reserves have rapid and lasting effects. Ecology Letters 5:361–366. , and .
- 1998. Marine reserves: what would they accomplish? Marine Resources Economics 13:159–170.
- 2006. When do marine reserves increase fishery yield? Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 63:1445–1449.
- 1999. Equivalence in yield from marine reserves and traditional fisheries management. Science 284:1537–1538. , and .
- 1998. Management of evolving fish stocks. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 55:1971–1982.
- 2008. Detecting fisheries-induced life-history evolution: an overview of the reaction norm approach. Bulletin of Marine Science 83:69–93. , and .
- 2002. Fisheries-induced selection pressures in the context of sustainable fisheries. Bulletin of Marine Science 70:639–656. , and .
- 2001. Evolution of migration rate in a spatially realistic metapopulation model. American Naturalist 157:495–511. , and .
- 2002a. Measuring probabilistic reaction norms for age and size at maturation. Evolution 56:669–678. , , and .
- 2002b. Reaction norm analysis of fisheries-induced adaptive change and the case of the Northeast Arctic cod. ICES CM 2002/Y:14. , , and .
- 2008. Evolution of growth in Gulf of St Lawrence cod? Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series B: Biological Sciences 275:1111–1112. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Faith-based fisheries. Fisheries 31:554–555.
- 1992. Quantitative Fisheries Stock Assessment: Choice, Dynamics and Uncertainty. Chapman & Hall, New York, NY, USA. , and .
- 2004. When can marine reserves improve fisheries management? Ocean & Coastal Management 47:197–205. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Integrating marine protected areas with catch regulation. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 63:642–649. , , and .
- 1992. Comparing evolvability and variability of quantitative traits. Genetics 130:195–204.
- 2009. Conserving a subpopulation of the northern Atlantic cod metapopulation with a marine protected area. Aquatic Conservation–Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 19:178–193. , and .
- 2003. Migration route and spawning area fidelity by North Sea plaice. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series B: Biological Sciences 270:2097–2103. , , and .
- 2008. The nature of fisheries- and farming-induced evolution. Molecular Ecology 17:294–313. , and .
- 2001. Marked genetic structuring in localised spawning populations of cod Gadus morhua in the North Sea and adjoining waters, as revealed by microsatellites. Marine Ecology Progress Series 223:251–260. , , and .
- ICES. 2007. Report of the Arctic Fisheries Working Group ICES CM 2007/ACFM:16.
- 1999. Genetic differentiation among Atlantic cod in south and south-east Icelandic waters: synaptophysin (Syp I) and haemoglobin (HbI) variation. Journal of Fish Biology 54:1259–1274. , , , , and .
- 2007. Managing evolving fish stocks. Science 318:1247–1248. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008a. The evolution of spawning migrations: state dependence and fishing-induced changes. Ecology 89:3436–3448. , , , and .
- 2008b. The role of fisheries-induced evolution – response. Science 320:48–50. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Size-selective fishing gear and life history evolution in the Northeast Arctic cod. Evolutionary Applications 2:356–370. , , and .
- 2003. Are closed areas the solution? Marine Conservation 5:11.
- 2005. Are marine protected areas a red herring or fisheries panacea? Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 62:1194–1199.
- 2007. Fishing the line near marine reserves in single and multispecies fisheries. Ecological Applications 17:1039–1054. , , , and .
- 2007. The concept of fecundity regulation in plaice (Pleuronectes platessa) tested on three Irish Sea spawning populations. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 64:587–601. , , and .
- 1993. The evolution of size and growth in harvested natural populations. In T. K.Stokes, J. M.McGlade, and R.Law, eds. The Exploitation of Evolving Resources, pp. 145–154. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Germany.
- 1998. Temporal variations in the fecundity of Arcto-Norwegian cod (Gadus morhua) in response to natural changes in food and temperature. Journal of Sea Research 40:303–321. , , , and .
- 1999. Implications of fish home range size and relocation for marine reserve function. Environmental Biology of Fishes 55:65–79. , and .
- 2007. Detecting and managing fisheries-induced evolution. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 22:652–659. , and .
- 2008. The role of fisheries-induced evolution. Science 320:47–48. , and .
- 2000. Fishing, selection, and phenotypic evolution. ICES Journal of Marine Science 57:659–668.
- 2007. Fisheries-induced evolution: present status and future directions. Marine Ecology Progress Series 335:271–277.
- 1989. Evolution of yields from populations with age-specific cropping. Evolutionary Ecology 3:343–359. , and .
- 2004. Interpreting the von Bertalanffy model of somatic growth in fish: the cost of reproduction. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series B: Biological Sciences 271:1625–1631. , , and .
- 2000. Condition of cod (Gadus morhua) off Greenland during 1982–1998. Fisheries Research 48:79–86. , and .
- 2003. Plugging a hole in the ocean: the emerging science of marine reserves. Ecological Applications 13:S3–S7. , , , and .
- 2005. Regime, phase and paradigm shifts: making community ecology the basic science for fisheries. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London, Series B: Biological Sciences 360:95–105. , and .
- 2000. Reconstructing the stock-recruit relationship for Northeast Arctic cod using a bioenergetic index of reproductive potential. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 57:2433–2442. , , , and .
- 2004. Deriving condition indices from standard fisheries databases and evaluating their sensitivity to variation in stored energy reserves. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 61:1900–1917. , , , , and .
- 1992. Multiple spawning in several commercial fish species and its consequences for fisheries management, cultivation and experimentation. Journal of Fish Biology 41:125–136. , and .
- 2003. Small-scale temporal and spatial variation in Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua) life history. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 60:1111–1121. , and .
- 2009. An individual-based model for reviewing marine reserves in the light of fisheries-induced evolution in mobility and size at maturation. Journal of the Northwest Atlantic Fisheries Society 41:151–162. , , and .
- 2007. Fisheries-induced evolutionary changes in maturation reaction norms in North Sea sole Solea solea. Marine Ecology Progress Series 351:189–199. , , and .
- 1987. Natural selection and the heritability of fitness components. Heredity 59:181–198. , and .
- 2000. Large-scale closed areas as a fishery-management tool in temperate marine systems: the Georges Bank experience. Bulletin of Mathematical Biology 66:775–798. , , , , and .
- 2009. Mitigating fisheries-induced evolution in lacustrine brook charr (Salvelinus fontinalis) in southern Quebec, Canada. Evolutionary Applications 2:415–437. , , , and .
- 2004. Maturation trends indicative of rapid evolution preceded the collapse of northern cod. Nature 428:932–935. , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Assessing changes in age and size at maturation in collapsing populations of Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 62:811–823. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Predictions of realised fecundity and spawning time in Norwegian spring-spawning herring (Clupea harengus). Journal of Sea Research 48:59–79. , , and .
- 2003. Migration patterns, ambient temperature, and growth of Icelandic cod (Gadus morhua): evidence from storage tag data. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 60:1409–1423. , and .
- 2006. The genetic structure of Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua) around Iceland: insight from microsatellites, the Pan I locus, and tagging experiments. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 63:2660–2674. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Towards sustainability in world fisheries. Nature 418:689–695. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Effects of fishing protection on the genetic structure of fish populations. Biological Conservation 129:244–255. , , , , and .
- 1981. Changes in average size and average age of Pacific salmon. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 38:1636–1656.
- 2001. Effects of marine reserves on adjacent fisheries. Science 294:1920–1923. , , , , and .
- 2005. The role of marine reserves in achieving sustainable fisheries. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London, Series B: Biological Sciences 360:123–132. , , and .
- 2000. Multiyear homing of Atlantic cod. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 58:2325–2329. , and .
- 2001. Multiyear homing of Atlantic cod to a spawning ground. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 58:2325–2329. , and .
- 2004. Migratory behaviour and range in Atlantic cod: inference from a century of tagging. Fish and Fisheries 5:185–214. , and .
- 1993. Cod spawning on a migration highway in the north-west Atlantic. Nature 366:458–461.
- 2002. Capelin are good for cod: can the northern stock rebuild without them? ICES Journal of Marine Science 59:1018–1026. , and .
- 1979. Theory of Population Genetics and Evolutionary Ecology: An Introduction. Macmillan Publishing Co., Inc., New York, NY, USA.
- 1992. The Evolution of Life Histories. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK.
- 2009. Unnatural selection. Nature 457:803–804. , and .
- 2007. Defining ‘natal homing’ in marine fish populations; need for inference in fishery science: reply to Bradbury & Laurel (2007). Marine Ecology Progress Series 349:309–310. , , and .
- 2007. Evolutionary response to size-selective mortality in an exploited fish population. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series B: Biological Sciences 274:1015–1022. , , and .
- 2008. Evolution of growth in Gulf of St Lawrence cod: reply to Heino et al. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series B: Biological Sciences 275:1113–1115. , , and .
- 2008. The impact of fishing-induced mortality on the evolution of alternative life-history tactics in brook charr. Evolutionary Applications 1:409–423. , , , , and .
- 2001. Natal homing in a marine fish metapopulation. Science 291:297–299. , , , and .
- 2001. A rapid method for estimation of oocyte size and potential fecundity in Atlantic cod using a computer-aided particle analysis system. Journal of Sea Research 46:295–308. , and .
- 2000. Can marine protected areas restore and conserve stock attributes of reef fishes? Bulletin of Marine Science 66:853–873. , and .
- 2008. The spatial distribution of cod (Gadus morhua L.) spawning grounds in the Kattegat, eastern North Sea. Fisheries Research 90:36–44. , , , and .
- 2006. Maladaptive changes in multiple traits caused by fishing: impediments to population recovery. Ecology Letters 9:142–148. , , , and .
- 2009. Eco-genetic model to explore fishing-induced ecological and evolutionary effects on growth and maturation schedules. Evolutionary Applications 2:438–455. , and .