A case of isolation by distance and short-term temporal stability of population structure in brown trout (Salmo trutta) within the River Dart, southwest England
Article first published online: 16 JUL 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 2, Issue 4, pages 537–554, November 2009
How to Cite
Griffiths, A. M., Koizumi, I., Bright, D. and Stevens, J. R. (2009), A case of isolation by distance and short-term temporal stability of population structure in brown trout (Salmo trutta) within the River Dart, southwest England. Evolutionary Applications, 2: 537–554. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2009.00092.x
- Issue published online: 30 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 16 JUL 2009
- Received: 16 December 2008 Accepted: 9 June 2009
- 1981. Use of allelic frequencies to describe population-structure. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 38:1507–1514. , and .
- 2000. Microsatellite DNA population structure and stock identification of steelhead trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) in the Nass and Skeena Rivers in northern British Columbia. Marine Biotechnology 2:587–600. , , and .
- 2004. An Introduction to Molecular Ecology. Oxford University Press, Oxford. , and .
- 1999. Genetic structure of brown trout, Salmo trutta L., at the southern limit of the distribution range of the anadromous form. Molecular Ecology 8:1991–2001. , , , , and .
- 1998. Multilocus and single-locus DNA fingerprinting. In A. R.Hoelzel, ed. Molecular Genetic Analysis of Populations: A practical Approach, 2nd edn, pp. 287–336. IRL Press, Oxford. , , , and .
- 2002. Model Selection and Multimodel Inference: A Practical Information-Theoretic Approach. Springer, New York. , and .
- 2002. Micro-scale distribution of brown trout: an opportunity for kin selection? Ecology of Freshwater Fish 11:234–239. , and .
- 2000. Population genetic structure of brown trout (Salmo trutta L.) within a northern boreal forest stream. Hereditas 132:173–181. , and .
- 1999. Microsatellites reveal fine-scale genetic structure in stream-living brown trout. Journal of Fish Biology 55:1290–1303. , , , , and .
- 1967. Phylogenetic analysis: models and estimation procedures. American Journal of Human Genetics 19:233–257. , and .
- 2002. Deleterious effects of restricted gene flow in fragmented populations. Conservation Biology 16:369–376. .
- 1986. Electrophoretic examination of the population-structure of brown trout, Salmo Trutta L., from the Lough Neagh catchment, Northern-Ireland. Journal of Fish Biology 28:459–477. , and .
- 2002. Spatial autocorrelation analysis and the identification of operational units for conservation in continuous populations. Conservation Biology 16:924–935. , and .
- EA 2001. Local Environment Agency Plan; Dart Third Annual Review. Environment Agency, Exeter.
- EA 2002. Salmonid and Freshwater Fisheries Statistics for England and Wales, 2002. Environment Agency, Bristol.
- 1996. High level of genetic differentiation for allelic richness among populations of the argan tree Argania spinosa (L.) Skeels endemic to Morocco. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 92:832–839. , and .
- 1994. Quantitative Ecology and the Brown Trout. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1993. (CT)(N) and (GT)(N) microsatellites – a new class of genetic-markers for Salmo trutta L. (brown trout). Heredity 71:488–496. , , , , and .
- 1998. Comparative analysis of microsatellite and allozyme markers: a case study investigating microgeographic differentiation in brown trout (Salmo trutta). Molecular Ecology 7:339–353. , , , , , and .
- 1992. Analysis of molecular variance inferred from metric distances among DNA haplotypes – application to human mitochondrial-DNA restriction data. Genetics 131:479–491. , , and .
- 1995. Phylip (Phylogeny Inference Package). Department of Genetics, University of Washington, Seattle, WA.
- 1989. Genetic-differences among brown trout, Salmo trutta, stocks and their importance for the conservation and management of the species. Freshwater Biology 21:35–46.
- 2005. Population structuring of brown trout and Atlantic Salmon on Dartmoor: unravelling the influence of historical stocking on current structuring through exploration with GIS, University of Exeter, Report for Dartmoor National Park Authority. , and .
- 2000. Ecological determinants and temporal stability of the within-river population structure in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.). Molecular Ecology 9:615–628. , , and .
- 2002. FSTAT, a program to estimate and test gene diversities and fixation indices (version 2.9.3). http://www2.unil.ch/popgen/softwares/fstat.htm (accessed 03/07/09).
- 1992. Performing the exact test of Hardy–Weinberg proportion for multiple alleles. Biometrics 48:361–372. , and .
- 2005. Genetic diversity and genetic differentiation in Daphnia metapopulations with subpopulations of known age. Genetics 170:1809–1820. , , , , and .
- 1996. Founder effects and genetic population structure of brown trout (Salmo trutta) in a Danish river system. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 53:2229–2237. , and .
- 1998. Genetic differentiation and relationship between genetic and geographical distance in Danish sea trout (Salmo trutta L.) populations. Heredity 81:493–504. , and .
- 1997. The problem of sampling families rather than populations: relatedness among individuals in samples of juvenile brown trout Salmo trutta L. Molecular Ecology 6:469–474. , , and .
- 2002. Long-term effective population sizes, temporal stability of genetic composition and potential for local adaptation in anadromous brown trout (Salmo trutta) populations. Molecular Ecology 11:2523–2535. , , , , and .
- 1999. Highly variable loci and their interpretation in evolution and conservation. Evolution 53:313–318.
- 1991. Genetic-relationships among landlocked, resident, and anadromous brown Trout, Salmo trutta L. Heredity 66:83–91. , , , and .
- 1982. Atlantic herring: stock discreteness and abundance. Science 215:627–633. , and .
- 2005. Spatial and temporal genetic differentiation and effective population size of brown trout (Salmo trutta, L.) in small Danish rivers. Conservation Genetics 6:615–621. , , , , and .
- 2001. Genetic evidence for mixed origin of recolonized sea trout populations. Heredity 87:207–214. , , and .
- 2006. Decomposed pairwise regression analysis of genetic and geographic distances reveals a metapopulation structure of stream-dwelling Dolly Varden charr. Molecular Ecology 15:3175–3189. , , and .
- 1999. Phylogeographic lineages and differentiation pattern of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) in the Baltic Sea with management implications. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 56:1766–1780. , , , , and .
- 2002. Spatial and temporal population structure of sea trout at the Island of Gotland, Sweden, delineated from mitochondrial DNA. Journal of Fish Biology 60:49–71. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. PowerMarker: An integrated analysis environment for genetic marker analysis. Bioinformatics 21:2128–2129. , and
- 1997. Metapopulations and the Atlantic herring. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries 7:297–329. .
- 2000. Relationships between population size and loss of genetic diversity: comparisons of experimental results with theoretical predictions. Conservation Genetics 1:33–43. , , , , , and .
- 1995. Estimates of gene flow among neighboring populations of brown trout. Journal of Fish Biology 46:593–602. , , , , and .
- 2006. Landscape attributes and life history variability shape genetic structure of trout populations in a stream network. Landscape Ecology 21:901–916. , , and .
- 1999. Genetic variation in time and space: microsatellite analysis of extinct and extant populations of Atlantic salmon. Evolution 53:261–268. , , and .
- 2004. MICRO-CHECKER: software for identifying and correcting genotyping errors in microsatellite data. Molecular Ecology Notes 4:535–565. , , and .
- 2003. Long-term temporal changes of genetic composition in brown trout (Salmo trutta L.) populations inhabiting an unstable environment. Molecular Ecology 12:3123–3135. , , , and .
- 1996. TREEVIEW: an application to display phylogenetic trees on personal computers. Computer Applications in the Biosciences 12:357–358.
- 2003. Effective population size and temporal genetic change in stream resident brown trout (Salmo trutta, L.). Conservation Genetics 4:249–264. , , , and .
- 2006. GENALEX 6: genetic analysis in Excel. Population genetic software for teaching and research. Molecular Ecology Notes 6:288–295. , and .
- 2003. Spatial autocorrelation offers new insights into gene flow in the Australian bush rat, Rattus fuscipes. Evolution 57:1182–1195. , , and .
- 2007. Microscale genetic differentiation in a sessile invertebrate with cloned larvae: investigating the role of polyembryony. Marine Biology 153:71–82. , , , , and .
- 1995. Interactions genetiques entre formes sauvages et formes domestique chez la truite commune (Salmo trutta fario L.). Universite Montpellier II, Montpellier. .
- 1996. Conservation of microsatellites in three species of salmonids. Journal of Fish Biology 49:1326–1329. , and .
- 2006. Isolation by distance within a river system: genetic population structuring of Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar, in tributaries of the Varzuga River in northwest Russia. Molecular Ecology 15:653–666. , , , , , and .
- 1995. GENEPOP (version 1.2): population genetics software for exact tests and ecumenicism. Journal of Heredity 86:248–249. , and .
- 2007. Microscale variation in alpine grasslands: AFLPs reveal a high level of genotypic diversity in Primula minima (Primulaceae). Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society 155:549–556. , and .
- 1989. Analyzing tables of statistical tests. Evolution 43:223–225.
- 2000. Metapopulations and salmonids: a synthesis of life history patterns and empirical observations. Ecology of Freshwater Fish 9:51–64. , and .
- 1997. Genetic differentiation and estimation of gene flow from F-Statistics under isolation by distance. Genetics 145:1219–1228. .
- 2001. Distribution of individual inbreeding coefficients, relatedness and influence of stocking on native anadromous brown trout (Salmo trutta) population structure. Molecular Ecology 10:2107–2128. , , and .
- 1983. Patterns of distribution of biochemical genetic-variation in salmonids – differences between species. Aquaculture 33:1–21.
- 2000. ARLEQUIN: A Software for Population Genetics Data Analysis, Version 2. University of Geneva, Geneva. , , and
- 1995. Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar, microsatellites at the Ssosl25, Ssosl85, Ssosl311, Ssosl417 Loci. Animal Genetics 26:281–282. , , and .
- 1998. Discriminating coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch) populations within the Fraser River, British Columbia, using microsatellite DNA markers. Molecular Ecology 7:141–155. , , , and .
- 1999. Spatial autocorrelation analysis of individual multiallele and multilocus genetic structure. Heredity 82:561–573. , and .
- 1986. Multiple regression and correlation extensions of the Mantel test of matrix correspondence. Systematic Zoology 35:627–632. , , and .
- 1984. Homing and olfaction in salmonids – a critical-review with special reference to the Atlantic salmon. Biological Reviews of the Cambridge Philosophical Society 59:333–388.
- 1987. Genetic population structure of Atlantic salmon. In N.Ryman, and F.Utter, eds. Population Genetics and Fisheries Management, pp. 112–140. University of Washington Press, Washington.
- 1996. Devon Area Report River Dart Fisheries Survey 1996. Environment Agency, Exeter. .
- 1996. Genetic distances and reconstruction of phylogenetic trees from microsatellite DNA. Genetics 144:389–399. , and .
- 1991. A review of local adaptation in salmonidae, with particular reference to Pacific and Atlantic salmon. Aquaculture 98:185–207.
- 2005. Migration barriers protect indigenous brown trout (Salmo trutta) populations from introgression with stocked hatchery fish. Conservation Genetics 6:175–191. , , , , , , and .
- 2004. New insights from fine-scale spatial genetic structure analyses in plant populations. Molecular Ecology 13:921–935. , and .
- 1989. Temporal variation in allele frequencies – testing the right hypothesis. Evolution 43:1236–1251.
- WEHAB 2002. A framework for action on biodiversity and ecosystem management. http://www.un.org/jsummit/html/documents/summit_docs/wehab_papers/wehab_biodiversity.pdf. Water, Energy, Health, Agriculture and Biodiversity Working Group Report, August 2002 (accessed 03/07/09).
- 1984. Estimating F-statistics for the analysis of population structure. Evolution 38:1358–1370. , and .
- 1998. Microsatellite analysis of genetic population structure in an endangered salmonid: the coastal cutthroat trout (Oncorhynchus clarki clarki). Molecular Ecology 7:733–749. , , and .
- 2004. Genetic differentiation of white-spotted charr (Salvelinus leucomaenis) populations after habitat fragmentation: Spatial–temporal changes in gene frequencies. Conservation Genetics 5:529–538. , , , and .