Modeling environmentally associated morphological and genetic variation in a rainforest bird, and its application to conservation prioritization
Article first published online: 16 JUL 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 3, Issue 1, pages 1–16, January 2010
How to Cite
Thomassen, H. A., Buermann, W., Milá, B., Graham, C. H., Cameron, S. E., Schneider, C. J., Pollinger, J. P., Saatchi, S., Wayne, R. K. and Smith, T. B. (2010), Modeling environmentally associated morphological and genetic variation in a rainforest bird, and its application to conservation prioritization. Evolutionary Applications, 3: 1–16. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2009.00093.x
- Issue published online: 17 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 16 JUL 2009
- Received: 2 March 2009 Accepted: 5 June 2009
- 2000. MARXAN (V1.8.2): marine reserve design using spatially explicit annealing, a manual. , and
- 2001. Adaptive geographic variation in western scrub-jays. Ecology 82:2617–2627. , , and .
- 2004. How to track and assess genotyping errors in population genetics studies. Molecular Ecology 13:3261–3273. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Population adaptive index: a new method to help measure intraspecific genetic diversity and prioritize populations for conservation. Conservation Biology 21:697–708. , , , , and .
- 2004. Projected temperature changes along the American cordillera and the planned GCOS network. Geophysical Research Letters 31:L16210. , , and .
- 2002. Habitat loss and extinction in the hotspots of biodiversity. Conservation Biology 16:909–923. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Predicting species distributions across the Amazonian and Andean regions using remote sensing data. Journal of Biogeography 35:1160–1176. , , , , , , and .
- 2002. Distributional change and conservation on the Andean flank: a palaeoecological perspective. Global Ecology and Biogeography 11:463–473.
- 2005. Using Red List Indices to measure progress towards the 2010 target and beyond. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society, Series B 360:255–268. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Efficiency and concordance of alternative methods for minimizing opportunity costs in conservation planning. Conservation Biology 22:886–896. , , and .
- 2009. Stability predicts genetic diversity in the Brazilian Atlantic forest hotspot. Science 323:785–789. , , , , and .
- 2007. Integrating coalescent and ecological modeling in comparative phylogeography. Evolution 61:1439–1454. , and .
- 2007. The role of geography and ecology in shaping the phylogeography of the speckled hummingbird (Adelomyia melanogenys) in Ecuador. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 43:795–807. , , , and .
- 2001. Rapid plant diversification: planning for an evolutionary future. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences United States of America 98:452–5457. , and .
- 2004. Speciation. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA, pp. 179–210. , and .
- 2000. Considering evolutionary processes in conservation biology. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 15:290–295. , , , and .
- 2008. The California Hotspots Project: identifying regions of rapid diversification of mammals. Molecular Ecology 17:120–138. , , , , and .
- 2006. Novel methods improve prediction of species’ distributions from occurrence data. Ecography 29:129–151. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Conserving taxonomic complexity. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 20:164–168. , , and .
- 2005. Arlequin ver. 3.0: an integrated software package for population genetics data analysis. Evolutionary Bioinformatics Online 1:47–50. , , and .
- 1992. Conservation evaluation and phylogenetic diversity. Biological Conservation 61:1–10.
- 1998. Target: Software for the Analysis of Priority Protected Areas Representing Biodiversity. Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization, Canberra.
- 2004. Mapping more of terrestrial biodiversity for global conservation assessment. BioScience 54:1101–1109. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Using generalized dissimilarity modelling to analyse and predict patterns of beta diversity in regional biodiversity assessment. Diversity and Distributions 13:252–264. , , , and .
- 2007. Preserving the evolutionary potential of floras in biodiversity hotspots. Nature 445:757–760. , , , , , , et al.
- 1974. Genetic conservation: our evolutionary responsibility. Genetics 78:53–65.
- 2008. Rise of the Andes. Science 320:1304–1307. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Integrating phylogenetics and environmental niche models to explore speciation mechanisms in dendrobatid frogs. Evolution 58:1781–1793. , , , , and .
- 2000. Predictive habitat distribution models in ecology. Ecological Modeling 135:147–186. , and .
- 2002. Towards an operational MODIS continuous field of percent tree cover algorithm: examples using AVHRR and MODIS data. Remote Sensing of the Environment 83:303–319. , , , , , and .
- 2006. The effect of sample size and species characteristics on performance of different species distribution modelling methods. Ecography 29:773–785. , , , and .
- 2006. The distributions of a wide range of taxonomic groups are expanding polewards. Global Change Biology 12:450–455. , , , , and .
- 2005. Very high resolution interpolated climate surfaces for global land areas. International Journal of Climatology 25:1965–1978. , , , , and .
- 2004. Lifetime reproductive success in relation to morphology in the house sparrow Passer domesticus. Journal of Animal Ecology 73:599–611. , , , , , and .
- 2006. An operational model for implementing conservation action. Conservation Biology 20:408–419. , , and .
- 1998. Synergistic algorithm for estimating vegetation canopy Leaf Area Index and fraction of absorbed photosynthetically active radiation from MODIS and MISR data. Journal of Geophysical Research 103:32257–32274. , , , , and .
- 2008. Integrating GIS-based environmental data into evolutionary biology. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 23:141–148. , , and .
- 2001. Global ice and land climate studies using scatterometer image data. EOS Transactions AGU 82:503. , , , , and .
- 1994. Analysis of population genetic structure with RAPD markers. Molecular Ecology 3:91–99. , and .
- 2008. Evolutionary biology and practical conservation: bridging a widening gap. Molecular Ecology 17:9–19. , and .
- 2003. Preserving the tree of life. Science 300:1707–1709. , , and .
- 2002. Historical relationships among Neotropical lowland forest areas of endemism as determined by mitochondrial DNA sequence variation within the Wedge-billed Woodcreeper (Aves: Dendrocolaptidae: Glyphorynchus spirurus). Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 24:153–167. , , and .
- 2007. Incorporating the effects of socioeconomic uncertainty into priority setting for conservation investment. Conservation Biology 21:1463–1474. , , , and .
- 2004. Evidence for ecology’s role in speciation. Nature 429:294–298. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Isolation by resistance. Evolution 60:1551–1561.
- 2008a. Recent postglacial range expansion drives the rapid diversification of a songbird lineage in the genus Junco. Proceedings of the Royal Society, Series B 274:2653–2660. , , , , and .
- 2008b. Ecomorphology of migratory and sedentary populations of the yellow-rumped warblers (Dendroica coronata). Condor 110:335–344. , , and .
- 2009. Divergence with gene flow and fine-scale phylogeographic structure in the wedge-billed woodcreeper Glyphorynchus spirurus, a Neotropical rainforest bird. Molecular Ecology 18:2879–2995. , , , and .
- 2007. Landscape zonation, benefit functions and target-based planning: unifying reserve selection strategies. Biological Conservation 134:571–579.
- 2002. Strategies to protect biological diversity and the evolutionary processes that sustain it. Systematic Biology 51:238–254.
- 2008. Impact of a century of climate change on small-mammal communities in Yosemite National Park, USA. Science 322:261–264. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Biodiversity hotspots for conservation priorities. Nature 403:853–858. , , , , and .
- 2002. Global products of vegetation leaf area and fraction absorbed PAR from year one of MODIS data. Remote Sensing of the Environment 83:214–231. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Integrating economic costs into conservation planning. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 21:681–687. , , , , , and .
- 1986. A Biogeographic Analysis of Australian Elaphid Snakes. Atlas of Elapid Snakes of Australia. Australian Government Publishing Service, Canberra.
- 2005. Global hotspots of species richness are not congruent with endemism or threat. Nature 436:1016–1019. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. GENALEX 6: genetic analysis in Excel. Population genetic software for teaching and research. Molecular Ecology Notes 6:288–295. , and .
- 2009. Landscape genetics of California mule deer (Odocoileus hemionus): the roles of ecological and historical factors in generating differentiation. Molecular Ecology 18:1848–1862. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Maximum entropy modeling of species geographic distributions. Ecological Modeling 190:231–259. , , and .
- 2006. Ecological factors influence population genetic structure of European grey wolves. Molecular Ecology 15:4533–4553. , , , , , , and .
- 2000. Mathematical methods for identifying representative reserve networks. In S.Ferson, and M.Burgman, eds. Quantitative Methods for Conservation Biology, pp. 291–305. Springer-Verlag, New York. , , and .
- 2005. PATHMATRIX: a geographical information system tool to compute effective distances among samples. Molecular Ecology Notes 5:177–180.
- 2007. Birds of Northern South America: An Identification Guide, Vol. 2: Plates and Maps. Yale University Press, Yale. , , and .
- 2003. Ecological niche differentiation in the Aphelocoma jays: a phylogenetic perspective. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 80:369–383. , , and .
- 2001. The Birds of Ecuador. Vol. II: A Field Guide. Christopher Helm, London. , and .
- 2006. Designing large-scale conservation corridors for pattern and process. Conservation Biology 20:549–561. , , , , and .
- 2005. Ecological speciation. Ecology Letters 8:336–352. , and .
- 2004. Incorporating multiple criteria into the design of conservation area networks. Endangered Species Update 21:100–107. , , , , , and .
- 2001. Environmental correlates of toad abundance and population genetic diversity. Biological Conservation 98:201–210. , , , , and .
- 2002. Assessing biodiversity conservation priorities: ecosystem risk and representativeness in continental Ecuador. Landscape and Urban Planning 59:95–110. , , and .
- 1993. The preservation of process: the missing element of conservation programs. Biodiversity Letters 1:164–167. , , and .
- 2001. Biodiversity hotspots and beyond: the need for preserving environmental transitions. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 16:431. , , , and .
- 2005. Putting process on the map: why ecotones are important for conserving biodiversity. In A.Purvis, J.Gittleman, and T.Brooks, eds. Phylogeny and Conservation, pp. 166–197. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. , , , , and .
- 2008. Evolutionary consequences of human disturbance in a rainforest bird species from Central Africa. Molecular Ecology 17:58–71. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. The past and future influence of geographic information systems on hybrid zone, phylogeographic and speciation research. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 21:421–434.
- 2003. Inter-glacial Fuquene-3 pollen record from Colombia: an Eemian to Holocene climate record. Global and Planetary Change 36:181–199. , and .
- 1991. What to protect? Systematics and the agony of choice Biological Conservation 55:235–254. , , and .
- 1995. AFLP: a new technique for DNA fingerprinting. Nucleic Acids Research 23:4407–4414. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Conserving biodiversity efficiently: what to do, where, and when. PLOS Biology 5:1850–1861. , , , , , , et al.
- 1943. Isolation by distance. Genetics 128:114–138.
- 1999. POPGENE ver. 3.32. Microsoft Windows-base freeware for population genetic analyses. , , and
- 1999. Estimating population structure in diploids with multilocus dominant DNA markers. Molecular Ecology 8:907–913.