ORIGINAL ARTICLE: Mitigating fisheries-induced evolution in lacustrine brook charr (Salvelinus fontinalis) in southern Quebec, Canada
Article first published online: 31 JUL 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Special Issue: Toward Darwinian fisheries management
Volume 2, Issue 3, pages 415–437, August 2009
How to Cite
Okamoto, K. W., Whitlock, R., Magnan, P. and Dieckmann, U. (2009), ORIGINAL ARTICLE: Mitigating fisheries-induced evolution in lacustrine brook charr (Salvelinus fontinalis) in southern Quebec, Canada. Evolutionary Applications, 2: 415–437. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2009.00095.x
- Issue published online: 31 JUL 2009
- Article first published online: 31 JUL 2009
- Received: 14 December 2008 Accepted: 4 June 2009
- 2008. Genetic effects of harvest on wild animal populations. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 23:327–337. , , , , and .
- 1998. Combined use of smm and non-smm methods to infer fine structure and evolutionary history of closely related brook charr (Salvelinus fontinalis, salmonidae) populations from microsatellites. Molecular Biology and Evolution 15:143–159. , and .
- 2005. The convention on biological diversity's 2010 target. Science 307:212. , , , , , , et al..
- 2004. Estimating reaction norms for age and size at maturation when age at first reproduction is unknown. Evolutionary Ecology Research 6:659–678. , , , and .
- 2001. The identification, conservation, and management of estuarine and marine nurseries for fish and invertebrates. Bioscience 51:633–641. , , , , , , et al..
- 1957. On the dynamics of exploited fish populations. Fishery Investigations Series II XIX, HMSO: Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, London. , and .
- 1997. Reproductive timing and use of redd sites by lake-spawning brook trout Salvelinus fontinalis. Canadian Journal Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 54:747–756. , and .
- 1994. Modeling compensatory growth. Functional Ecology 8:770–782. , , , and .
- 2000. The Mathematical Theory of Selection, Recombination and Mutation. Wiley Series in Mathematical and Computational Biology John Wiley & Sons, Chichester.
- 1998. Recruitment limitation: a theoretical perspective. Australian Journal of Ecology 23:234–240.
- 2007. Efficient nearly orthogonal and space-filling Latin hypercubes. Technometrics 49:45–55. , and .
- 2002. Ontogenetic niche shifts and evolutionary branching in size-structured populations. Evolutionary Ecology Research 4:189–217. , and .
- 2000. Dwarfs and giants: Cannibalism and competition in size-structured populations. American Naturalist 155:219–237. , , and .
- 2002. Sustaining fisheries yields over evolutionary time scales. Science 297:94–96. , and .
- 1993. Growth and food of young-of-the-year brook charr, Salvelinus fontinalis, in lake and creek environments. Environmental Biology of Fishes 37:131–138. , , , and .
- 2005. Individual-based modeling of ecological and evolutionary processes. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 36:147–168. , and .
- 2007. Probabilistic maturation reaction norms: their history, strengths and limitations. Marine Ecology Progress Series 335:253–269. , and .
- 2007. Demographic and evolutionary consequences of selective mortality: predictions from an eco-genetic model for smallmouth bass. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 136:749–765. , , and .
- 2009a. Propensity of marine reserves to reduce the evolutionary effects of fishing in a migratory species. Evolutionary Applications 2:371–393. , , , and .
- 2009b. Eco-genetic modeling of contemporary life-history evolution. Ecological Applications. In press. , , and .
- 2009. Implications of fisheries-induced evolution for stock rebuilding and recovery. Evolutionary Applications 2:394–414. , , , , and .
- 2004. Adaptive changes in harvested populations: plasticity and evolution of age and size at maturation. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B-Biological Sciences 271:415–423. , , and .
- 2008. Ecological and evolutionary consequences of size-selective harvesting: how much do we know? Molecular Ecology 17:209–220. , and .
- 2008. Real options for precautionary fisheries management. Fish and Fisheries 9:121–137. , , , and .
- Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations. 1995. Precautionary approach to fisheries, part 1: guidelines on the precautionary approach to capture fisheries and species introductions. Lysekil, Sweden, June 6–13. FAO Fisheries Technical Paper 350, Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations. Part 1, Rome, pp. 52.
- 2004. Consequences of unequal population size, assy-metric gene flow and sex-biased dispersal on population structure in brook charr (Salvelinus fontinalis). Molecular Ecology 13:67–80. , , and .
- 2006. Using zooplankton biomass size spectra to assess ecological change in a well-studied freshwater lake ecosystem: Oneida Lake, New York. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 63:2687–2699. , , , , and .
- 1989. Population harvesting. Demographic models of fish, forest and animal resources. Monographs in Population Biology. Princeton University Press, Princeton, New Jersey. , and .
- 1989. Principles of population genetics. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA. , and .
- 2002. Loss of microsatellite diversity and effective population size in an overexploited population of New Zealand snapper Pagrus auratus. Proceedings of the National Academy Sciences of the United States of America 99:11742–11747. , , , , and .
- 1998. Management of evolving fish stocks. Canadian Journal Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 55:1971–1982.
- 2008. Detecting fisheries-induced life-history evolution: an overview of the reaction norm approach. Bulletin of Marine Science 83:69–93. , and .
- Fisheries-induced evolution. Encyclopedia of Life Sciences. John Wiley and Sons, Ltd., Chichester. , and . in press.
- 2002. Measuring probabilistic reaction norms for age and size at maturation. Evolution 56:669–678. , , and .
- 1992. Quantitative Fisheries Stock Assessment: Choice, Dynamics and Uncertainty. Chapman and Hall, NY, USA. , and .
- 1993. Relationship between surplus energy and body-weight in fish populations. Researches in Population Ecology 35:139–150. , and .
- 1992. Comparing evolvability and variability of quantitative traits. Genetics 130:195–204.
- 1996. Comparing mutational variabilities. Genetics 145:1467–1483.
- 1995. Measuring biodiversity value for conservation. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 26:93–111. , , and .
- 1993. Adaptive life histories effected by age-specific survival and growth-rate. Ecology 74:673–684.
- 2008. The nature of fisheries- and farming-induced evolution. Molecular Ecology 17:294–313. , and .
- 2007. Managing evolving fish stocks. Science 318:1247–1248. , , , , , , et al..
- 2004. The ecosystem approach to fishery management: a significant step towards sustainable use of the marine environment? Marine Ecology-Progress Series 274:279–282.
- 2004. Conceptual issues in local adaptation. Ecology Letters 7:1225–1241. , and .
- 2007. Size-dependent mortality induces life-history changes mediated through population dynamical feedbacks. American Naturalist 170:258–270. , , and .
- 2002. Functional response of kokanee salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka) to Daphnia at different light levels. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 59:707–716. , and .
- 2007. Detecting and managing fisheries-induced evolution. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 22:652–659. , and .
- 1991. On the quantitative genetics of correlated characters under directional selection in age-structured populations. Philosophical Transactions Royal Society of London Series B-Biological Sciences 331:213–223.
- 2000. Fishing, selection, and phenotypic evolution. ICES Journal of Marine Science 57: 659–668. .
- 1989. Evolution of yields from populations with age-specific cropping. Evolutionary Ecology 3:343–359. , and .
- 1998. Genetics and Analysis of Quantitative Traits. Sinauer, Sunderland, MA. , and
- 1988. Interactions between brook charr, Salvelinus fontinalis, and nonsalmonid species: ecological shift, morphological shift, and their impact on zooplankton communities. Canadian Journal Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 45:999–1009.
- 2005. Integrating the effects of fish exploitation and interspecific competition into current life history theories: an example with lacustrine brook trout (Salvelinus fontinalis) populations. Canadian Journal Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 62:747–757. , , and .
- 1985. Variation in the sizes of gonads, eggs, and larvae of the dace, Leuciscus leuciscus. Environmental Biology of Fishes 13:227–287. , and .
- 2002. Water temperature, light intensity and zooplankton density and the feeding activity of juvenile brook charr (Salvelinus fontinalis). Freshwater Biology 47:2153–2162. , , and .
- 2003. Interpopulational egg-size variation of a landlocked Rhinogobius goby related to the risk of larval starvation. Environmental Biology of Fishes 67:223–230. , , and .
- 2007. Why age and size at maturity have changed in Pacific salmon. Marine Ecology Progress Series 335:289–294. , and .
- 1987. Natural selection and the heritability of fitness components. Heredity 59:181–197. , and .
- 1987. A genetical conservation of exploited fishes. In N.Ryman, and F.Utter, eds. Population genetics and fishery management, pp. 345–368. University of Washington Press, Seattle, Washington, USA. , and .
- 2004. Maturation trends indicative of rapid evolution preceded the collapse of northern cod. Nature 428:932–935. , , , , , , and .
- 1998. On-togenetic scaling of foraging rates and the dynamics of a size-structured consumer-resource model. Theoretical Population Biology 54:270–293. , , , , and .
- 2004. An overview of the precautionary approach in fisheries and some suggested extensions. In B.Fallaugher and L.Wood, eds. Proceedings of the World Summit on Salmon, Vancouver, June 2003. pp. 233–240. Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, BC.
- 1980. The brook charr Salvelinus fontinalis. In E. K.Balon, ed. Perspectives In Vertebrate Science 1. Charrs: Salmonid Fishes Genus Salvelinus, pp. Ix+928. Dr. W. Junk Bv Publishers, Hague, The Netherlands (dist. In USA By Kluwer Boston, Inc.: Hingham, Mass.). Illus. Maps: 141–204.
- 1995. A modeling framework for analyzing anthropogenic stresses on brook trout (Salvelinus fontinalis) populations. Ecological Modelling 80:171–185. , and .
- 2007. Numerical Recipes: The Art of Scientific Computing. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. , , , and
- 1991. On the low heritability of life-history traits. Evolution 45:853–861. , and .
- 1982. The impact of predation on life-history evolution in trinidadian guppies (Poecilia reticulatd). Evolution 36:160–177. , and .
- 1993. Fisheries as a large-scale experiment on life-history evolution: disentangling phenotypic and genetic effects iin changes in maturation and reproduction of North Sea plaice, Pleuronectes platessa L. Oecologia 96:391–401.
- 2005. Bioassay analysis using R. Journal of Statistical Software 12:1–22. , and .
- 2005. The role of marine reserves in achieving sustainable fisheries. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 360:123–132. , , and .
- 1997. Evolutionary quantitative genetics. Springer, NY, USA.
- 2001. Physiologically structured models – from versatile technique to ecological theory. Oikos 94:51–71. , and .
- 1991. Offspring fitness and fecundity of an Indian major carp, Labeo rohita (Ham.), in relation to egg size. Aquaculture 97:269–279. , and .
- 2009. Life history change in commercially exploited fish stocks: an analysis of trends across studies. Evolutionary Applications 2:260–275. , and .
- 2004. Do harvest refuges buffer kangaroos against evolutionary responses to selective harvesting? Ecology 85:2003–2017. , , , and .
- 2008. The impact of fishing-induced mortality on the evolution of alternative life-history tactics in brook charr. Evolutionary Applications 1:409–423. , , , , and .
- 1991. Interactions between two distantly related species, brook trout (Salvelinus fontinalis) and white sucker (Catostomus commersoni). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 48:857–867. , and .
- 2001. A general model for ontogenetic growth. Nature 413:628–631. , , and .