Genetic estimates of contemporary effective population size in an endangered butterfly indicate a possible role for genetic compensation
Version of Record online: 10 AUG 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 3, Issue 1, pages 28–39, January 2010
How to Cite
Saarinen, E. V., Austin, J. D. and Daniels, J. C. (2010), Genetic estimates of contemporary effective population size in an endangered butterfly indicate a possible role for genetic compensation. Evolutionary Applications, 3: 28–39. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2009.00096.x
- Issue online: 17 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 10 AUG 2009
- Received: 27 April 2009 Accepted: 29 June 2009
- 2007. Conservation and the Genetics of Populations. Blackwell Publishing, UK. , and .
- 2007. Effective population size of steelhead trout: influence of variance in reproductive success, hatchery programs, and genetic compensation between life history forms. Molecular Ecology 16:953–966. , , , , and .
- 2003. Demographic and genetic estimates of effective population size (Ne) reveals genetic compensation in steelhead trout. Molecular Ecology 12:35–49. , and .
- 1992. Use of linkage disequilibrium data to estimate effective size of hatchery and natural fish populations. Conservation Biology 6:365–375. , , , and .
- 1994. Developments in the prediction of effective population size. Heredity 73:657–679.
- 2002. The rise and fall of tropical blues in Florida: Cyclargus ammon and Cyclargus thomasi bethunebakeri. Holartic Lepidoptera 7:13–20. , , and .
- 2007. A Survey of the Miami Blue Butterfly Cyclargus thomasi bethunebakeri: November 26, 2006–July 30, 2007. Report submitted to Florida Keys National Wildlife Refuges, Big Pine Key, Florida.
- 1996. Description and power analysis of two tests for detecting recent population bottlenecks from allele frequency data. Genetics 144:2001–2014. , and .
- 1970. An Introduction to Population Genetics. Burgess Publishing Co., Minneapolis, MN. , and .
- 2008. Molecular Diversity of the State-Endangered Miami Blue Butterfly. Final report to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC), Tallahassee, Florida. , , and .
- 2006. Estimating effective population size from linkage disequilibrium: severe bias in small samples. Conservation Genetics 7:303–308. , , , , and .
- 1930. The Genetical Theory of Natural Selection. Clarendon, Oxford.
- 1995. Effective population size/adult population size ratios in wildlife: a review. Genetical Research 66:95–107.
- 1996. Relationship of genetic variation to population size in wildlife – a review. Conservation Biology 10:1500–1508.
- 2003. Introduction to Conservation Genetics. Cambridge University Press, UK. , , and .
- FWC. 2003. Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) management plan: Miami Blue Cyclargus (=Hemiargus) thomasi bethunebakeri. Tallahassee, FL. http://www.myfwc.com/docs/WildlifeHabitats/Miami_Blue.pdf .
- 1995 FSTAT (Version 126.96.36.199): a computer program to calculate F-statistics. Journal of Heredity 86:485–486. .
- 2002. SPAGeDi: a versatile computer program to analyses spatial genetic structure at the individual or population levels. Molecular Ecology Notes 2:618–620. , and .
- 2003. Microsatellite allele sizes: a simple test to assess their significance on genetic differentiation. Genetics 163:1467–1482. , , , and .
- 1989. Genetically effective population size of large mammals: an assessment of estimators. Conservation Biology 3:181–191. , and .
- 2006. Genetic rescue of an insular population of large mammals. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B 273:1491–1499. , , , and .
- IUCN. 2008. IUCN state of the world’s species. http://cmsdata.iucn.org/downloads/state_of_the_world_s_species_factsheet_en.pdf (accessed 5 January 2009).
- 2007. Unbiased estimator for genetic drift and effective population size. Genetics 177:927–935. , and .
- 1997. Empirical evaluation of a test for identifying recently bottlenecked populations from allele frequency data. Conservation Biology 12:228–237. , and .
- 2008. Quantification of extinction risk: IUCN’s system for classifying threatened species. Conservation Biology 6:1424–1442. , , , , , , et al.
- 1993. Butterflies of the Florida Keys. Scientific Publishers, Gainesville, FL. , and .
- 1981. Genetic drift and estimation of effective population size. Genetics 98:625–640. , and .
- 1996. The influence of variation in female fecundity on effective population size. Biological Journal of Linnean Society 59:411–425.
- 1994. Estimating the effective population size of conserved populations. Conservation Biology 8:175–184. , and .
- 2004. Micro-Checker: software for identifying and correcting genotyping errors in microsatellite data. Molecular Ecology Notes 4:535–538. , , , and .
- 2008. Genetic estimates of contemporary effective population size: what can they tell us about the importance of genetic stochasticity for wild population persistence? Molecular Ecology 17:3428–3447. , and .
- 2004. NeEstimator (version 1.3): Software for Estimating Effective Population Size. Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries, Queensland Government, Deception Bay, Queensland, Australia. , , and .
- 1999. BOTTLENECK: a computer program for detecting recent reductions in the effective population size using allele frequency data. Journal of Heredity 90:502–503. , , and .
- 1983. A new method for estimating the effective population size from allele frequency changes. Genetics 104:531–548.
- 1977. A method for assessing changes in the abundance of butterflies. Biological Conservation 12:115–134.
- 1996. On the potential for estimating the effective number of breeders from heterozygote-excess in progeny. Genetics 144:383–387. , , and .
- 2008. GENEPOP’007: a complete re-implementation of the GENEPOP software for Windows and Linux. Molecular Ecology Resources 8:103–106.
- 1998. Checklist and “Pollard walk” butterfly survey methods on public lands. The American Midland Naturalist 140:358–371. , , and .
- 2000. Miami blues still fly. American Butterflies 8:28–29. , and .
- 2009. Development and characterization of polymorphic microsatellite loci in the endangered Miami blue butterfly (Cyclargus thomasi bethunebakeri). Molecular Ecology Resources 9:242–244. , , and .
- 1998. Inbreeding and extinction in a butterfly metapopulation. Nature 392:491–494. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Most species are not driven to extinction before genetic factors impact them. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 101:15261–15264. , , and .
- 1999. Noninvasive sampling: look before you leap. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 14:323–327. , , and .
- 2008. ONeSAMP: a program to estimate effective population size using approximate Bayesian computation. Molecular Ecology Resources 8:299–301. , , , and .
- 2003. Rescue of a severely bottlenecked wolf population by a single immigrant. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B 270:91–97. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. A pseudo-likelihood approach for estimating effective population size from temporally spaced samples. Genetical Research 78:379–391.
- 2005. Estimation of effective population size from data on genetic markers. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B 360:1395–1409.
- 2003. Estimating effective population size and migration rates from genetic samples over space and time. Genetics 163:429–446. , and .
- 1989. A generalized approach for estimating effective population size from temporal changes in allele frequency. Genetics 121:379–391.
- 1991. Genetic methods for estimating the effective size of cetacean populations. Report of the International Whaling Commission 13:279–300.
- 2005. Genetic estimates of contemporary effective population size: to what time periods do the estimates apply? Molecular Ecology 14:3335–3352.
- 2008. LDNE: a program for estimating effective population size from data on linkage disequilibrium. Molecular Ecology Resources 8:753–756. , and .
- 2007. Temporal estimates of effective population size in species with overlapping generations. Genetics 175:219–233. , and .
- 2007. Effective population sizes and migration rates in fragmented populations of an endangered insect (Coenagrion mercuriale: Odonata). Journal of Animal Ecology 76:790–800. , , , and .
- 1980. Effect of mating structure on variation in linkage disequilibrium. Genetics 95:477–488. , and .
- 1931. Evolution in Mendelian populations. Genetics 16:97–159.
- 2004. Lepidopteran microsatellite DNA: redundant but promising. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 19:507–509.