State-dependent life history models in a changing (and regulated) environment: steelhead in the California Central Valley
Article first published online: 20 NOV 2009
© 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 3, Issue 3, pages 221–243, May 2010
Total views since August 2010: 509
How to Cite
Satterthwaite, William. H., Beakes, M. P., Collins, E. M., Swank, D. R., Merz, J. E., Titus, R. G., Sogard, S. M. and Mangel, M. (2010), State-dependent life history models in a changing (and regulated) environment: steelhead in the California Central Valley. Evolutionary Applications, 3: 221–243. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2009.00103.x
- Issue published online: 16 APR 2010
- Article first published online: 20 NOV 2009
- Received: 14 June 2009 Accepted: 25 September 2009 First published online: 20 November 2009
- 2004. Alternative model structures for bioenergetics budgets of a cruising predatory gadoid: incorporating estimates of food conversion and costs of locomotion. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 61:2413–2424. , and .
- 2004. Widespread consumption-dependent systematic error in fish bioenergetics models and its implications. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 61:2158–2167. , , and .
- 2001. Survival of Chinook salmon smolts in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta and Pacific Ocean. In R. L.Brown, ed., Fish Bulletin 179(2) Contributions to the Biology of Central Valley Salmonids, pp. 163–182. Scripps Institutions of Oceanography Library, San Diego, CA. Available at: http://repositories.cdlib.org/sio/lib/fb/179. , and .
- 2002. Trout and Salmon of North America. Free Press, New York.
- 1988. Freshwater and Ocean Survival of Atlantic Salmon and Steelhead: A Synopsis. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Biological Report 88(9), U.S. Department of the Interior, Washington, DC. , and .
- 2008. Marine survival of steelhead (Oncorhynchus mykiss) enhanced by a seasonally closed estuary. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 65:2242–2252. , , , and .
- 2001. Juvenile Chinook salmon abundance, distribution, and survival in the Sacramento-San Joaquin estuary. In R. L.Brown, ed., Fish Bulletin 179(2), Contributions to the Biology of Central Valley Salmonids, pp. 39–138. Scripps Institutions of Oceanography Library, San Diego, CA. Available at: http://repositories.cdlib.org/sio/lib/fb/179. , and .
- 1979. Physiological energetics. In W. S.Hoar, D. J.Randall, and J. R.Brett, eds. Fish Physiology. Vol. VIII. pp. 279–352. Academic Press, New York. , and
- 2008. A review of quantitative genetic components of fitness in salmonids: implications for adaptation to future change. Evolutionary Applications 1:222–238. , and .
- 1991. Growth, Condition and Physiological Performance of Juvenile Salmonids From the American River, February Through June, 1991. U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Dixon, CA. , , , and .
- 1993. Growth, Condition and Physiological Performance of Juvenile Salmonids From the American River, February Through July, 1992. U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Dixon, CA. , , , and .
- 2000. Dynamic State Variable Models in Ecology. Methods and Applications. Oxford University Press, New York. , and .
- 1966. Optimizing reproduction in a randomly varying environment. Journal of Theoretical Biology 12:119–129.
- 2006. Population Dynamics, Habitat Capacity, and a Life History Simulation Model for Steelhead in the Deschutes River, Oregon. Prepared for Portland General Electric, Portland, OR. , and .
- 1975. Energy equivalents of oxygen consumption in animal energetics. Oecologia 19:195–201. , and .
- 1984. Profitable stream positions for salmonids: relating specific growth rate to net energy gain. Canadian Journal of Zoology 62:441–451. .
- Good, T. P., R. S.Waples, and P.Adams, editors. 2005. Updated Status of Federally Listed ESUs of West Coast Salmon and Steelhead. U. S. Department of Commerce, NOAA Technical Memorandum NMFS-NWFSC-66.
- 2006. Reduced streamflow lowers dry-season growth of rainbow trout in a small stream. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 135:998–1005. , , and .
- 2008. Steelhead growth in a small central California watershed: upstream and estuarine rearing patterns. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 137:114–128. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Rapid evolution of reproductive isolation in the wild: evidence from introduced salmon. Science 290:516–518. , , , , and .
- 2004. Predation risk and the territory value of cover: an experimental study. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology 56:388–392. , , and .
- 2007. Eco-evolutionary conservation biology: contemporary evolution and the dynamics of persistence. Functional Ecology 21:444–454. , and .
- 1977. Approaches to the analysis of energetic costs of intraspecific competition for space by rainbow trout (Salmo gairdneri). Journal of Fish Biology 11:329–341. , and .
- 2007. Framework for assessing viability of threatened and endangered Chinook salmon and steelhead in the Sacramento-San Joaquin basin. San Francisco Estuary and Watershed Science 5(1): Article 4, pp. 1–26. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Why, when and how do fish populations decline, collapse and recover? The example of brown trout (Salmo trutta) in Rio Chaballos (northwestern Spain) Freshwater Biology 54:1149–1162.
- 1994. Climate change and salmonid life history variation. Deep Sea Research II 41:75–106.
- 1988. Dynamic Modeling in Behavioral Ecology. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ. , and .
- 2005. A life-history perspective on short- and long-term consequences of compensatory growth. American Naturalist 166:E155–E176. , and .
- 2008. Combining proximate and ultimate approaches to understand life history variation in salmonids with application to fisheries, conservation, and aquaculture. Bulletin of Marine Science 83:107–130. , and .
- 2008. Evolutionary consequences of habitat loss for Pacific anadromous salmonids. Evolutionary Applications 1:300–318. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. A Review and Synthesis of Effects of Alterations to the Water Temperature Regime on Freshwater Life Stages of Salmonids, With Special Reference to Chinook Salmon. Report to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, EPA 910-R-99-010.
- 2001. Central Valley steelhead. In R. L.Brown, ed., Fish Bulletin 179(1), Contributions to the Biology of Central Valley Salmonids, pp. 1–43. Scripps Institutions of Oceanography Library, San Diego, CA. Available at: http://repositories.cdlib.org/sio/lib/fb/179.
- 2002. Seasonal feeding habits of steelhead trout in the lower Mokelumne River, California. California Fish and Game 88:95–111.
- 2005. Lower Mokelumne River Fish Community Survey, 1 January 1997 Through 30 June 2004. Report to East Bay Municipal Utility District, 1 Winemaster Way Suite K2, Lodi, CA 95240. 22 pp. , and .
- 1996. Comparative feeding habits of juvenile Chinook salmon, steelhead, and Sacramento squawfish in the lower American River, California. California Fish and Game 82:149–159. , and .
- 1996. Effects of climate change on water quality in the Central Valley. In Z.Kaczmarek, ed. Water Resources Management in the Face of Climatic/Hydrologic Uncertainties, pp. 274–299. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht. , , and .
- 2008. Revisiting a model of ontogenetic growth: estimating model parameters from theory and data. American Naturalist 171:632–645. , , , , , , and .
- 2000. Temperature influences on California rainbow trout physiological performance. Fish Physiology and Biochemistry 22:245–254. , and .
- 1993. An Analysis of the Growth of Returning North Esk Atlantic Salmon (Salmo salar) Over the Period 1963-1993. Master’s Thesis, University of Wales, Bangor.
- 2008. Genetic variation in threshold reaction norms for alternative reproductive tactics in male Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B 275:1571–1575. , , and .
- 2000. Evolution of temporal isolation in the wild: genetic divergence in timing of migration and breeding by introduced chinook salmon populations. Evolution 54:1372–1385. , , and .
- 2001. Evolution of chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) populations in New Zealand: pattern, rate, and process. Genetica 112:493–513. , , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2007. R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. ISBN 3-900051-07-0, URL http://www.R-project.org.
- 1999. Bioenergetics modeling of stream trout growth: temperature and food consumption effects. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 128:241–256. , and .
- 1993. Modeling steelhead population energetics in Lakes Michigan and Ontario. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 122:977–1001. , , , , and .
- 1979. Effects of dams and impoundments on migrations of juvenile Chinook salmon and steelhead from the Snake River, 1966 to 1975. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 108:505–529.
- 2004. Modeling the life-history variation of Arctic charr. Ecology of Freshwater Fishes 13:305–311. , , and .
- 2009. Steelhead life history on California’s central coast: insights from a state dependent model. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 138:532–548. , , , , , , et al.
- 1979. Precocious sexual development in hatchery-reared and laboratory-maintained male steelhead trout (Salmo gairdneri). Journal of the Fisheries Research Board of Canada 36:90–93. , and .
- 1967. Biology and Management of Steelhead Trout in California. California Dep. Fish Game Inland Fisheries Administrative Report No. 67-7.
- 1954. The life histories of the steelhead rainbow trout (Salmo gairdneri) and silver salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch) with special reference to Waddell Creek, California, and recommendations regarding their management. California Department of Fish and Game Fish Bulletin 98:1–373. , and .
- 1987. Maturation of female yearling amago salmon Oncorhynchus rhodurus and acquisition of fertilized eggs. Bulletin of National Research Institute of Aquaculture 12:93–96. , and .
- 1994. Effect of the fingerling size on the precocious maturation in amago salmon, Onchorhyncus [sic] masou ishikawai. Bulletin of National Research Institute of Aquaculture 23:55–63. , , and .
- 1974. Hedging one’s evolutionary bets. Nature 250:704–705.
- 2000. Timing, Composition, and Abundance of Juvenile Anadromous Salmonid Emigration in the Sacramento River Near Knights Landing October1997-September 1998. California Department of Fish and Game Stream Evaluation Program Technical Report No. 00-5. , and .
- 2009. Seasonal patterns of abundance, growth, and site fidelity of juvenile steelhead (Oncorhynchus mykiss) in a small coastal California stream. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 138:549–563. , , and .
- 2003. Contemporary evolution meets conservation biology. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 18:94–101. , , and .
- 1973. Distribution, seasonal abundance, and some biological features of steelhead trout, Salmo gairdneri, in the North Pacific Ocean. Fishery Bulletin 71:787–826.
- 1978. A temperature algorithm for modifying biological rates. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 107:284–287. , and .
- 1998. Modeling the proximate basis of life history variation, with application to Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar L. Evolutionary Ecology 121:581–600. , , , and .
- U. S. Department of the Interior. 2008. Central Valley Project an State Water Project Operations Criteria and Plan Biological Assessment. Bureau of Reclamation, Mid-Pacific Region, Sacramento, CA.
- 2004. Potential implications of PCM climate change scenarios for Sacramento-San Joaquin river basin hydrology and water resources. Climatic Change 62:257–281. , , , and .
- 2000. Declivity in steelhead trout recruitment at the Keogh River over the past decade. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 57:298–306.
- 1993. Egg-to-smolt survival and fry-to-smolt density dependence of Keogh River steelhead. In R. J.Gibson, and R. E.Cutting, eds. Production of Juvenile Atlantic Salmon, Salmo salar, in natural waters, pp. 209–217. Canadian Special Publication of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 118, Ottawa. , and .
- 1989. Size-biased survival in steelhead trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss): back-calculated lengths from adults’ scales compared to migrating smolts at the Keogh River, British Columbia. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 46:1853–1858. , , , and .
- 2001. Chinook salmon in the lower American River, California’s largest urban stream. In R. L.Brown, ed., Fish Bulletin 179(2), Contributions to the Biology of Central Valley Salmonids, pp. 1–38. Scripps Institutions of Oceanography Library, San Diego, CA. Available at: http://repositories.cdlib.org/sio/lib/fb/179.
- 2006. Central Valley Salmon: a perspective on Chinook and steelhead in the Central Valley of California. San Francisco Estuary and Watershed Science 4(3): Article 2, pp. 1–398.
- 2008. Potential for anthropogenic disturbances to influence evolutionary change in the life history of a threatened salmonid. Evolutionary Applications 1:271–285. , , , , and .
- 2008. Climate warming, water storage, and Chinook salmon in California’s Sacramento Valley. Climatic Change 91:335–350. , , , , , , et al.