ORIGINAL ARTICLE: Rapid evolution in a plant-pathogen interaction and the consequences for introduced host species
Article first published online: 25 JAN 2010
© 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Special Issue: Synthesizing ecology and evolution for the study of invasive species
Volume 3, Issue 2, pages 144–156, March 2010
How to Cite
Gilbert, G. S. and Parker, I. M. (2010), ORIGINAL ARTICLE: Rapid evolution in a plant-pathogen interaction and the consequences for introduced host species. Evolutionary Applications, 3: 144–156. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2009.00107.x
- Issue published online: 26 FEB 2010
- Article first published online: 25 JAN 2010
- Accepted: 26 October 2009
- 2005. Enemy release? An experiment with congeneric plant pairs and diverse above- and belowground enemies Ecology 86:2979–2989. , , , , , and .
- 1976. Change in virulence of Septoria nodorum and S. tritici after passage through alternative hosts. Transactions of the British Mycological Society 66:337–340. , and .
- 2000. Selection against unnecessary virulence in Puccinia coronata. Acta Phytopathologica et Entomologica Hungarica 35:223–227. , and .
- 2003. Invasiveness of Ammophila arenaria: release from soil-borne pathogens? Ecology 84:2824–2831. , and .
- 2001. Effects of fungal pathogens on seeds of native and exotic plants: a test using congeneric pairs. Journal of Applied Ecology 38:1104–1113. , and .
- 1995. Evolution of increased competitive ability in invasive nonindigenous plants – a hypothesis. Journal of Ecology 83:887–889. , and .
- 2002. Establishment, distribution, and pathogenicity of Puccinia striiformis f. sp tritici in South Africa. Plant Disease 86:485–492. , , and .
- 2005. Phenotypic and genetic differentiation between native and introduced plant populations. Oecologia 144:1–11. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Susceptibility of clover species to fungal infection: the interaction of leaf surface traits and environment. American Journal of Botany 90:857–864. , , and .
- 1997. Sources and patterns of diversity in plant-pathogenic fungi. Phytopathology 87:664–669. , and .
- 2006. The current and future dynamics of disease in plant communities. Annual Review of Phytopathology 44:19–39. , , and .
- 2002. Phylogeny of Stemphylium spp. based on ITS and glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase gene sequences. Mycologia 94:660–672. , , and .
- 2005. And the beak shall inherit – evolution in response to invasion. Ecology Letters 8:944–951. , , , , , and .
- 1996. The Red Queen Hypothesis and plant/pathogen interactions. Annual Review of Phytopathology 34:29–50. , and .
- 2004. Is invasion success explained by the enemy release hypothesis? Ecology Letters 7:721–733. , , , and .
- 2003. Parasite local adaptation: red Queen versus Suicide King. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 18:523–530. , and .
- 1958. The Ecology of Invasions by Animals and Plants. University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- 2006. Fungal Databases, Systematic Botany & Mycology Laboratory, ARS, USDA. Retrieved from http://nt.ars-grin.gov/fungaldatabases/ (Accessed on 31 May 2006) [cited]. , , , and .
- 1982. Response of wheat and barley isolates of Septoria nodorum to passage through barley and wheat cultivars. Plant Pathology 31:315–324. , and .
- 2007. Asexual genetic exchange in the barley pathogen Rhynchosporium secalis. Phytopathology 97:650–654. , , and .
- 1996. Models of parasite virulence. Quarterly Review of Biology 71:37–78. .
- 2002. Evolutionary ecology of plant diseases in natural ecosystems. Annual Review of Phytopathology 40:13–43. .
- 1962. Pest pressure, an underestimated factor in evolution. Systematics Association Publication Number 4:37–46.
- 1994. Contrasting effects of asexual reproduction and random mating on changes in virulence frequency in a field collection of Uromyces appendiculatus. Phytopathology 84:566–569. , and .
- 1982. Effect of sexual and asexual reproduction on race abundance in cereal rust fungus populations. Phytopathology 72:1503–1507. , and .
- 1977. Specialization of Leptosphaeria nodorum to alternative graminaceous hosts. Transactions of the British Mycological Society 68:101–103. .
- 1993. Population-structure and the evolution of virulence in nematode parasites of fig wasps. Science 259:1442–1445.
- 2001. Disease severity and pathotype dynamics of Puccinia striiformis f.sp. tritici in Denmark. Plant Pathology 50:181–189. .
- 1993. Observed and predicted changes in virulence gene-frequencies at 11 loci in a local barley powdery mildew population. Phytopathology 83:253–260. , , and .
- 1995. Tansley Review No. 81: effects of disease in wild plant populations and the evolution of pathogen aggressiveness. New Phytologist 129:371–387. , and .
- 1963. Changes induced by training in Phytophthora infestans. Heredity 18:245–264. , and .
- 2002. Exotic plant invasions and the enemy release hypothesis. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 17:164–170. , and .
- 1992. New modes of genetic change in filamentous fungi. Annual Review of Phytopathology 30:131–152. , and .
- 2009. Release from foliar and floral fungal pathogen species does not explain the geographic spread of naturalized North American plants in Europe. Journal of Ecology 97:385–392. , and .
- 1989. Virulence and race dynamics of Puccinia recondita f. sp. tritici in Canada during 1956-1987. Phytopathology 79:349–356.
- 1990. Selection of virulence phenotypes in a heterogeneous asexual population of Puccinia recondita f. sp. tritici. Phytopathology 80:1377–1381.
- 1991. Phenotypic diversity in 2 populations of Puccinia recondita f. sp. tritici in Canada during 1931-1987. Phytopathology 81:311–315.
- 1986. Genetic selection and adaptation of Cochliobolus heterostrophus to corn hosts with partial resistance. Phytopathology 76:774–777. , and .
- 1984. Cytology of Helminthosporium oryzae. Mycopathologia 87:23–27. , , and .
- 1984. Epiphytic populations of Pseudomonas syringae pv. syringae on snap bean and nonhost plants and the incidence of bacterial brown spot disease in relation to cropping patterns. Phytopathology 74:1329–1333. , , and .
- 1996. The evolution of virulence in pathogens with vertical and horizontal transmission. Evolution 50:1729–1741. , , and .
- 2007. The Study of Plant Disease Epidemics. APS Press, St. Paul, MN. , , and .
- 2001. When do herbivores affect plant invasion? Evidence for the natural enemies and biotic resistance hypotheses Oikos 95:361–373. , and .
- 2004. Rapid evolution of an invasive plant. Ecological Monographs 74:261–280. , , , , and .
- 1973. Competitive ability of oat stem rust races in mixtures. Canadian Journal of Botany 51:2233–2236. .
- 1983. Epidemiology and genetics in the coevolution of parasites and hosts. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B-Biological Sciences 219:281–313. , and .
- 2000. Phytotoxicity of a culture filtrate produced by Stemphylium solani of cotton. Plant Disease 84:838–842. , and .
- 2003. Release of invasive plants from fungal and viral pathogens. Nature 421:625–627. , and .
- 2004. The evolutionary ecology of novel plant-pathogen interactions. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics 35:675–700. , and .
- 2007. When there is no escape: the effects of natural enemies on native, invasive, and noninvasive plants. Ecology 88:1210–1224. , and .
- 1956. Parasexual cycle in fungi. Annual Review of Microbiology 10:393–400. .
- 2000. Evolutionary dynamics of pathogen resistance and tolerance. Evolution 54:51–63. , and .
- 1990. Effect of passaging on pine seedlings of Cylindrocarpon destructans Zinssm. Scholten and pH on the pathogenicity of this organism to pine seedlings Pinus sylvestris L. Acta Microbiologica Polonica 39:189–196. , , and .
- 1981. Variation in virulence in isolates of Septoria nodorum. Phytopathology 71:593–596. , , and .
- 1985. Variation in virulence in successive single-zoospore propagations of Phytophthora megasperma f. sp. glycinea. Phytopathology 75:371–374. , , and .
- 2001. Genetic differences in growth of an invasive tree species. Ecology Letters 4:514–518. , and .
- 1983. Gradual evolution of virulence of Puccinia coronata on oats. Phytopathology 73:1203–1205. , and .
- 1958. An investigation of nuclear number in Alternaria solani. American Journal of Botany 45:657–659. .
- 2002. Local adaptation in the Linum marginale-Melampsora lini host-pathogen interaction. Evolution 56:1340–1351. , , and .
- 1981. Virulence of Verticillium dahliae and Verticillium albo-atrum isolates in tomato seedlings in relation to their host of origin and the applied cropping system. Phytopathology 71:98–100. .
- 2000. Is there evidence for the post-invasion evolution of increased size among invasive plant species? Ecology Letters 3:275–283. , , and .
- 2002. Why alien invaders succeed: support for the escape-from-enemy hypothesis. American Naturalist 160:705–711.
- 2009. Host range and phytotoxicity of Stemphylium solani, causing leaf blight of garlic (Allium sativum) in China. European Journal of Plant Pathology 124:21–30. , , , and .
- 1995. Chromosome-length polymorphism in fungi. Microbiological Reviews 59:686–698. .