These authors contributed equally to this work.
Species-specific responses to landscape fragmentation: implications for management strategies
Version of Record online: 25 JAN 2010
© 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 3, Issue 3, pages 291–304, May 2010
How to Cite
Blanchet, S., Rey, O., Etienne, R., Lek, S. and Loot, G. (2010), Species-specific responses to landscape fragmentation: implications for management strategies. Evolutionary Applications, 3: 291–304. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2009.00110.x
- Issue online: 16 APR 2010
- Version of Record online: 25 JAN 2010
- Received: 15 June 2009 Accepted: 16 November 2009 First published online: 25 January 2010
- 1997. Universal and rapid salt-extraction of high quality genomic DNA for PCR-based techniques. Nucleic Acids Research 25:4692–4693. , and .
- 2005. Effects of habitat fragmentation on effective population size in the endangered Rio Grande silvery minnow. Conservation Biology 19:1138–1148. , and .
- 2001. Undamming rivers: a review of the ecological impacts of dam removal. Environmental Management 27:803–814.
- 2002.genetix 4.05.2, Logiciel sous Windows TM pour la génétique des populations. Laboratoire Genome Population, Interactions: CNRS UMR 5000. University of Montpellier, France. , , , , and .
- 1997. A critical assessment of the form of the interspecific relationship between abundance and body size in animals. Journal of Animal Ecology 66:233–249. , and .
- 2008. An integrated comparison of captive-bred and wild Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar): implications for supportive breeding programs. Biological Conservation 141:1989–1999. , , , and .
- 1989. Electrofishing – theory and practice with special emphasis on salmonids. Hydrobiologia 173:9–43. , , , , and .
- 2008. Movements and habitat use of wild and stocked juvenile chub, Leuciscus cephalus (L.), in a small lowland river. Fisheries Management and Ecology 15:401–407. , , and .
- 1998. Use of miniature radio-transmitters to track the movements of dace, Leuciscus leuciscus (L.) in the River Frome, Dorset. Hydrobiologia 372:89–97. , and .
- 2006. Heterogeneous colonization pattern of European Cyprinids, as highlighted by the dace complex (Teleostei: Cyprinidae). Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 41:127–148. , , , , and .
- 1993. The relationship between body-size and population abundance in animals. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 8:244–248.
- 2002. Deleterious effects of restricted gene flow in fragmented populations. Conservation Biology 16:369–376.
- 2006. The relative influence of natural selection and geography on gene flow in guppies. Molecular Ecology 15:49–62. , , , and .
- 2000. Which traits of species predict population declines in experimental forest fragments? Ecology 81:1450–1461. , , and .
- 2008. Migration of rheophilic fish in the large lowland rivers Meuse and Rhine, the Netherlands. Fisheries Management and Ecology 15:409–415. , and .
- 2008. Patterns of genetic variation in anthropogenically impacted populations. Conservation Genetics 9:141–156.
- 2005. Highways block gene flow and cause a rapid decline in genetic diversity of desert bighorn sheep. Ecology Letters 8:1029–1038. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Confounding factors in the detection of species responses to habitat fragmentation. Biological Reviews 81:117–142. , and .
- 1998. When does fragmentation of breeding habitat affect population survival? Ecological Modelling 105:273–292.
- 2003. Effects of habitat fragmentation on biodiversity. Annual Review of Ecology Evolution and Systematics 34:487–515.
- 1996. Relationship of genetic variation to population size in wildlife. Conservation Biology 10:1500–1508.
- 1998. Inbreeding and extinction: island populations. Conservation Biology 12:665–675.
- 2008. Genetic adaptation to captivity in species conservation programs. Molecular Ecology 17:325–333.
- 2004. Consequences of unequal population size, asymmetric gene flow and sex-biased dispersal on population structure in brook charr (Salvelinus fontinalis). Molecular Ecology 13:67–80. , , and .
- 1996. Global scale macroecology: interactions between population size, geographic range size and body size in the Anseriformes. Journal of Animal Ecology 65:701–714. , and .
- 1995. fstat (version 1.2): a computer program to calculate F-statistics. Journal of Heredity 86:485–486.
- 2008. Concordance among stream assemblages and spatial autocorrelation along a fragmented gradient. Diversity and Distributions 14:592–603. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Concordant genetic estimators of migration reveal anthropogenically enhanced source-sink population structure in the River Sculpin, Cottus gobio. Genetics 173:1487–1501. , and .
- 2008. Human influences on rates of phenotypic change in wild animal populations. Molecular Ecology 17:20–29; doi: 10.1111/j.1365-1294X.2007.03428.x. , , and .
- 2004. Predictors of species sensitivity to fragmentation. Biodiversity and Conservation 13:207–251. , , , , and .
- 1981. Estimation of effective population size from data on linkage disequilibrium. Genetical Research 38:209–216.
- 2007. The tales of two geckos: does dispersal prevent extinction in recently fragmented populations? Molecular Ecology 16:3299–3312. , , and .
- 2005. A fish selective obstacle to prevent dispersion of an unwanted fish species, based on leaping capabilities. Fisheries Management and Ecology 12:143–147. , , , , and .
- 1989. Biogéographie et structure des peuplements de poissons d’eau douce d’Afrique de l’Ouest : approches quantitatives. PhD Thesis, Université Paris-VII, Paris.
- 1999. Correlation of pairwise genetic and geographic distance measures: inferring the relative influences of gene flow and drift on the distribution of genetic variability. Evolution 53:1898–1914. , and .
- 2007. Does size matter for dispersal distance? Global Ecology and Biogeography 16:415–425. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Does habitat fragmentation reduce fitness and adaptability? A case study of the common frog (Rana temporaria) Molecular Ecology 16:2693–2700. , , and .
- 2001. Atlas des poissons d’eau douce de France. Patrimoines Naturels 47:387. , and .
- 2002. Inbreeding effects in wild populations. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 117:230–241. , and .
- 2007. Performance of a pool-and-weir fish pass for small bottom-dwelling freshwater fish species in a regulated lowland river. Animal Biology 57:423–432. , , and .
- 1997. Focal species: a multi-species umbrella for nature conservation. Conservation Biology 11:849–856.
- 2002. Fishways: Biological Basis, Design Criteria and Monitoring. Bulletin Francais de la Peche et de la Pisciculture 364. , , and .
- 2006. Conservation science: a 20-year report card. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 4:473–480. , , , , , , et al.
- 1994. Population–dynamic principles. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London Series B-Biological Sciences 344:61–68. , , and .
- 2007. Effects of small weirs on fish parasite communities. Parasitology Research 101:1265–1276. , , , , , and .
- 2000. The influence of environmental factors on movements of lowland-river fish in the Yorkshire Ouse system. Science of the Total Environment 251:223–232.
- 2008. Changes in macroinvertebrate and fish assemblages in a medium-sized river following a breach of a low-head dam. Freshwater Biology 53:1055–1068. , , , and .
- 1997. Randomization, Bootstrap and Monte Carlo Methods in Biology. Chapman et Hall, London.
- 2007. Effect size, confidence interval and statistical significance: a practical guide for biologists. Biological Reviews 82:591–605; doi: 10.1111/j.1469-185X.2007.00027.x. , and .
- 2005. Fragmentation and flow regulation of the world’s large river systems. Science 308:405–408. , , , and .
- 2002. The impact of small physical obstacles on upstream movements of six species of fish – synthesis of a 5-year telemetry study in the River Meuse basin. Hydrobiologia 483:55–69. , and .
- 2008. Regulated discharge produces substantial demographic changes on four typical fish species of a small salmonid stream. Hydrobiologia 609:59–70. , , and .
- 2005. Standards for ecologically successful river restoration. Journal of Applied Ecology 42:208–217. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Climate change and the world’s river basins: anticipating management options. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 6:81–89. , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Impact of weirs on fish communities in a piedmont stream. River Research and Applications 23:1038–1047.
- 1996. On the potential for estimating the effective number of breeders from heterozygote excess in progeny. Genetics 144:383–387. , , and .
- 1999. Relationships between geographical range size, body size, local abundance, and habitat breadth in North American suckers and sunfishes. Journal of Biogeography 26:549.
- 2008. Modeling genetic connectivity in sticklebacks as a guideline for river restoration. Evolutionary Applications 1:475–488. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Guidelines for restoring connectivity around water mills: a population genetic approach to the management of riverine fish. Journal of Applied Ecology 46:562–571. , , , , and .
- 1995. genepop (version-1.2) – population genetics software for exact tests and ecumenicism. Journal of Heredity 86:248–249. , and .
- 2007. Patterns in species richness and endemism of European freshwater fish. Global Ecology and Biogeography 16:65–75. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. MetaWin: Statistical Software for Meta-Analysis, Version 2.0. Sinauer Associates, Inc., Sunderland. , , and .
- 2002. Pattern and process in the geographical ranges of freshwater fishes. Global Ecology and Biogeography 11:323–332.
- 2007. Lack of genetic structure among ecologically adapted populations of an Australian rainforest Drosophila species as indicated by microsatellite markers and mitochondrial DNA sequences. Molecular Ecology 16:1687–1700. , , , and .
- 1993. Isolation by distance in equilibrium and non-equilibrium populations. Evolution 39:53–65.
- 2004. Most species are not driven to extinction before genetic factors impact them. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 101:15261–15264. , , and .
- 2001. Disrupting evolutionary processes: the effect of habitat fragmentation on collared lizards in the Missouri Ozarks. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 98:5426–5432. , , , and .
- 2009. Metapopulation persistence in fragmented landscapes: significant interactions between genetic and demographic processes. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 22:152–162. , , and .
- 2000. Dispersal and extinction in fragmented landscapes. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B-Biological Sciences 267:139–145.
- 2005. Geographical distance and physical barriers shape the genetic structure of Eurasian red squirrels (Sciurus vulgaris) in the Italian Alps. Molecular Ecology 14:469–481. , , , , , , and .
- 2003. Genetic variation within and among fragmented populations of lesser prairie-chickens (Tympanuchus pallidicinctus). Molecular Ecology 12:675–683. , , , , and .
- 2004. micro-checker: software for identifying and correcting genotyping errors in microsatellite data. Molecular Ecology Notes 4:535–538. , , , and .
- 1997. Human domination of earth’s ecosystems. Science 277:494–499. , , , and .
- 1989. A generalized approach for estimating effective population size from temporal changes in allele frequency. Genetics 121:379–391.
- 2008. Evolutionary responses by native species to major anthropogenic changes to their ecosystems: Pacific salmon in the Columbia River hydropower system. Molecular Ecology 17:84–96. , , , and .
- 1984. Estimating F-statistics for the analysis of population structure. Evolution 38:1358–1370. , and .
- 2005. Influence of barriers to movement on within-watershed genetic variation of coastal cutthroat trout. Ecological Applications 15:628–637. , , and .
- 1951. The gnetical structure of populations. Annals of Eugenics 15:323–354.