Do male and female black-backed woodpeckers respond differently to gaps in habitat?
Article first published online: 28 JAN 2010
© 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 3, Issue 3, pages 263–278, May 2010
How to Cite
Pierson, J. C., Allendorf, F. W., Saab, V., Drapeau, P. and Schwartz, M. K. (2010), Do male and female black-backed woodpeckers respond differently to gaps in habitat?. Evolutionary Applications, 3: 263–278. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2009.00111.x
- Issue published online: 16 APR 2010
- Article first published online: 28 JAN 2010
- Received: 19 October 2009 Accepted: 26 October 2009 First published online: 28 January 2010
- 2007. Conservation and the genetics of populations. Blackwell Publishing, Malden. , and .
- 2004. Molecular markers, natural history and evolution, 2nd edn. Sinauer Associates, Inc., Sunderland.
- 2004. Gap-crossing decisions by the red squirrel, a forest-dependent small mammal. Conservation Biology 18:689–697. , and .
- 1992. Mitochondrial DNA phylogeographic differentiation among avian populations and the evolutionary significance of subspecies. The Auk 109:626–636. , and .
- 2001. Cumulative effects of barriers on the movement of forest birds. Conservation Ecology 5:9. , and .
- 2002. Gap-crossing decisions by forest birds: an empirical basis for parameterizing spatially-explicit, individual-based models. Landscape Ecology 17:219–231. , and .
- 2004. Genetic structure among closely spaced leks in a peripheral population of lesser prairie-chickens. Molecular Ecology 13:499–505. , and .
- 2007. Contrasting patterns of mitochondrial and microsatellite genetic structure among Western European populations of tawny owls (Strix aluco). Molecular Ecology 16:3423–3437.
- 1996. Modulation of non-templated nucleotide addition by Taq DNA polymerase: primer modifications that facilitates genotyping. BioTechniques 20:1004–1010. , , and .
- 1996. Effects of fire and salvage logging on the cavity nesting bird community in Northwestern Montana. Ph.D. Thesis. University of Montana, Missoula. .
- 2007. Microsatellite null alleles and estimation of population differentiation. Molecular Biology and Evolution 24:621–631. , and .
- 2007. Bayesian clustering algorithms ascertaining spatial population structure: a new computer program and a comparison study. Molecular Ecology Notes 7:747–756. , , , and .
- 1997. Sex biases in avian dispersal: a reappraisal. Oikos 79:429–438. , , and .
- 2001. Dispersal. Oxford University Press, New York. , , , and .
- 2006. How do birds search for breeding areas at the landscape level? Interpatch movements of male ortolan buntings. Ecography 29:886–898. , , , , and .
- 2000. Inbreeding depression and its effects on natal dispersal in red-cockaded woodpeckers. The Condor 102:482–491. , and .
- 1997. Gap crossing decisions by forest songbirds during the post-fledging period. Conservation Biology 11:1204–1210. , and .
- 2000. Black-backed woodpecker (Picoides arcticus). In A.Poole, and F.Gill, eds. The Birds of North America, No. 509, pp. 1–20. The Birds of North America, Inc., Philadelphia, PA. , and .
- 2007. The ade4 package-II: two-table and K-table methods. R News 7:47–52. , , and .
- 2007. Home range size of black-backed woodpeckers in burned forests of southwestern Idaho. Western North American Naturalist 67:593–600. , and .
- 2002. A simulated annealing approach to define the genetic structure of populations. Molecular Ecology 11:2571–2581. , , and .
- 2009. Looking forwards or looking backwards in avian phylogeography? A comment on Zink and Barrowclough 2008. Molecular Ecology 18:2930–2933. , and .
- 1999. Genetic structure and variability of whitebacked woodpecker (Dendrocopos leucotos) populations in northern Europe. Hereditas 130:291–299. , , and .
- 2005. Arlequin version 3.0: an integrated software package for population genetics data analysis. Evolutionary Bioinformatics Online 1:47–50. , , and .
- 2003. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data: linked loci and correlated allele frequencies. Genetics 164:1567–1587. , , and .
- 2009. Using spatial Bayesian methods to determine the genetic structure of a continuously distributed population: clusters or isolation by distance? Journal of Applied Ecology 46:493–505. , , , , and .
- 2007. Mechanisms of population differentiation in seabirds. Molecular Ecology 16:1765–1785. , , and .
- 1997. Statistical test of neutrality of mutations against population growth, hitchhiking and background selection. Genetics 147:915–925.
- 2000. Riverine barriers and the geographic distribution of Amazonian species. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 97:13672–13677. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Phylogeography of a game species: the red-crested pochard (Netta rufina) and consequences for its management. Molecular Ecology 13:1035–1045. , , , and .
- 2000. Limited differentiation in microsatellite DNA variation among northern populations of the yellow warbler: evidence for male-biased gene flow? Molecular Ecology 9:2137–2147. , , and .
- 2002. Permeability of three boreal forest landscape types to bird movements as determined from experimental translocations. Oikos 98:447–458. , and .
- 2002. Tests for sex-biased dispersal using bi-parentally inherited genetic markers. Molecular Ecology 11:1103–1114. , , and .
- 1980. Mating systems, philopatry, and dispersal in birds and mammals. Animal Behaviour 28:1140–1162.
- 1982. The natal and breeding dispersal of birds. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 13:1–21. , and .
- 2005a. A spatial statistical model for landscape genetics. Genetics 170:1261–1280. , , , and .
- 2005b. Geneland: a program for landscape genetics. Molecular Ecology Notes 5:712–715. , , and .
- 2008. Analysing georeferenced population genetics data with Geneland: a new algorithm to deal with null alleles and a friendly graphical user interface. Bioinformatics 24:1406–1407. , , and .
- 1985. Replacement of breeders and within-group conflict in the cooperatively breeding acorn woodpecker. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology 17:303–312. , , , and .
- 2002. Behavioral barriers to non-migratory movements of birds. Annales Zoologici Fennici 39:275–290. , and .
- 1999. Perspective: highly variable loci and their interpretation in evolution and conservation. Evolution 53:313–318.
- 2005. A standardized genetic differentiation measure. Evolution 59:1633–1638.
- 2001. Male-biased gene flow across an avian hybrid zone: evidence from mitochondrial and microsatellite DNA. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 14:277–287. , , , and .
- 2000. The genetic legacy of the Quaternary ice ages. Nature 405:907–913.
- 2006. A comparison of the age-class structure of black-backed woodpeckers found in recently burned and unburned boreal coniferous forests in eastern Canada. Annales Zoologici Fennici 43:131–136. , and .
- 2007. Genetic structure among continental and island populations of gyrfalcons. Molecular Ecology 16:3145–3160. , , , and .
- 2005. Population genetic structure in migratory sandhill cranes and the role of Pleistocene glaciations. Molecular Ecology 14:2645–2657. , , , and .
- 1989. Dynamics of mitochondrial DNA evolution in animals: amplification and sequencing with conserved primers. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 86:6196–6200. , , , , , , and .
- 2001. Dispersal, intraspecific competition, kin competition, and kin facilitation: a review of the empirical evidence. In J.Clobert, E.Danchin, A.Dhondt, and J.Nichols, eds. Dispersal. Oxford University Press, New York. , , and .
- 2006. Relative performance of Bayesian clustering software for inferring population substructure and individual assignment at low levels of population differentiation. Conservation Genetics 7:295–302. , , , and .
- 2009. Tug of war between continental gene flow and rearing site philopatry in a migratory bird: the sex-biased dispersal paradigm reconsidered. Molecular Ecology 18:593–602. , , , , and .
- 2001. Genetic data analysis: computer program for the analysis of allelic data, Version 1.0. http://lewis.eeb.uconn.edu/lewishome/software.html (accessed June 2008). , and .
- 1988. Isolation and molecular characterization of a highly polymorphic centromeric tandem repeat in the family Falconidae. Genomics 2:14–24. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Landscape genetics: combining landscape ecology and population genetics. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 18:189–197. , , , and .
- 1967. The detection of disease clustering and a generalized regression approach. Cancer Research 27:209–220.
- 2006. Using the AMOVA framework to estimate a standardized genetic differentiation measure. Evolution 60:2399–2402.
- 2006. Woodpeckers: distribution, conservation, and research in a global perspective. Annales Zoologici Fennici 43:86–95.
- 2007. Speciation and rapid phenotypic differentiation in the yellow-rumped warbler (Dendroica coronata) complex. Molecular Ecology 16:159–173. , , and .
- 2000. Phylogeography and genetic structure of northern populations of the yellow warbler (Dendroica petechia). Molecular Ecology 9:667–681. , , and .
- 2002. Scaling up animal movements in heterogeneous landscapes: the importance of behavior. Ecology 83:2240–2247. , and .
- 1998. Patterns of natal and breeding dispersal in birds. Journal of Animal Ecology 67:518–536. , , , and .
- 2006. Population biology of European woodpecker species: a review. Annales Zoologici Fennici 43:96–111.
- 2001. In: Inbreeding, kinship, and the evolution of natal dispersal. In J.Clobert, E.Danchin, A.Dhondt, and J.Nichols, eds. Dispersal. Oxford University Press, New York. , and .
- 1998. Characterization of tetranucleotide microsatellite markers in the Scottish crossbill (Loxia scotica). Molecular Ecology 7:1247–1263. , , and .
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155:945–959. , , and .
- 2002. Inferring sex-biased dispersal from population genetic tools: a review. Heredity 88:161–165. , and .
- 1995. GENEPOP (version 1.2): population genetics software for exact tests and ecumenicism. Journal of Heredity 86:248–249. , and .
- 1989. Analyzing tables of statistical tests. Evolution 43:223–225.
- 2001. Habitat-mediated predation risk and decision making of small birds at forest edges. Oikos 95:383–396. , , and .
- 2003. DnaSP, DNA polymorphism analyses by the coalescent and other methods. Bioinformatics 19:2496–2497. , , , and .
- 2003. Population consequences of movement decisions in a patchy landscape. Oikos 103:142–152. , , and .
- 2007. Nest densities of cavity-nesting birds in relation to postfire salvage logging and time since wildfire. Condor 109:97–108. , , and .
- 2009. Nest-site selection by cavity-nesting birds in relation to postfire salvage logging. Forest Ecology and Management 257:151–159. , , and .
- 2009. Why sampling scheme matters: the effect of sampling scheme on landscape genetic results. Conservation Genetics 10:441–452. , and .
- 1998. Winter responses of forest birds to habitat corridors and gaps. Conservation Ecology 2:13. , , , and .
- 1989. Statistical method for testing the neutral mutation hypothesis by DNA polymorphism. Genetics 123:585–595.
- 2004. Mitochondrial DNA and microsatellite variation in the eider duck (Somateria mollissima) indicate stepwise postglacial colonization of Europe and limited current long-distance dispersal. Molecular Ecology 13:1481–1494. , , , , , , and .
- 2004. MICRO-CHECKER: software for identifying and correcting genotyping errors in microsatellite data. Molecular Ecology Notes 4:535–538. , , , and .
- 2008. Isolation and characterization of 12 microsatellite markers in the middle-spotted woodpecker (Dendrocopos medius). Molecular Ecology Resources 8:415–417. , , , , and .
- 1984. Estimating F-statistics for the analysis of population structure. Evolution 38:1358–1370. , and .
- 1995. A guide to the woodpeckers of the world. Houghton Mifflin Company, New York. , , and .
- 1997. Landscape connectivity and population distributions in heterogeneous environments. Oikos 78:151–169. , , and .
- 2005. Vocal dialects, sex-biased dispersal, and microsatellite population structure in the parrot Amazona auropalliata. Molecular Ecology 13:1197–1205. , , and .
- 1985. A review of recent irruptions of the black-backed woodpecker and the three-toed woodpecker in eastern North America. Journal of Field Ornithology 56:138–152.
- 2008. Mitochondrial DNA under siege in avian phylogeography. Molecular Ecology 17:2107–2121. , and .
- 2005. Behavioral tradeoffs when dispersing across a patchy landscape. Oikos 108:219–230. , and .