ORIGINAL ARTICLE: Allee effects, adaptive evolution, and invasion success
Article first published online: 25 JAN 2010
© 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Special Issue: Synthesizing ecology and evolution for the study of invasive species
Volume 3, Issue 2, pages 122–135, March 2010
How to Cite
Kanarek, A. R. and Webb, C. T. (2010), ORIGINAL ARTICLE: Allee effects, adaptive evolution, and invasion success. Evolutionary Applications, 3: 122–135. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2009.00112.x
- Issue published online: 26 FEB 2010
- Article first published online: 25 JAN 2010
- Received: 4 November 2009 Accepted: 23 November 2009
- 1931. Animal Aggregations: A Study in General Sociology. University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- 2003. Population biology, evolution, and control of invasive species. Conservation Biology 17:24–30. , and .
- 2001. Linking the Allee effect, sexual reproduction, and temperature-dependent sex determination via spatial dynamics. The American Naturalist 157:217–230. , , and .
- 2002. Single-species models of the Allee effect: extinction boundaries, sex ratios and mate encounters. Journal of Theoretical Biology 210:375–394. , and .
- 2006. Genetic variation and selection response in model breeding populations of Brassica rapa following a diversity bottleneck. Genetics 172:457–465. , and .
- 1986. The effect of an experimental bottleneck upon quantitative genetic variation in the housefly. Genetics 114:1191–1211. , , and .
- 2007. Evolution on ecological time-scales. Functional Ecology 21:387–393. , , , and .
- 1996. Epistasis as a source of increased additive genetic variance at population bottlenecks. Evolution 50:1042–1051. , and .
- 2006. Propagule pressure: a null model for biological invasions. Biological Invasions 8:1023–1037. , , and .
- 1999. Inverse density dependence and the Allee effect. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 14:405–410. , , and .
- 2008. Allee Effects in Ecology and Conservation. Oxford University Press, New York. , , and .
- 2005. Theory and preliminary analysis of species invasions from ballast water: controlling discharge volume and location. American Midland Naturalist 154:459–470. , , and .
- 2007. Immigration events dispersed in space and time: factors affecting invasion success. Ecological Modelling 206:63–78. , , , and .
- 1958. The Ecology of Invasions by Animals and Plants. Methuen, London, UK.
- 1989. Introduction to Quantitative Genetics, 3rd edn. Wiley, New York.
- 2008. The relation of density regulation to habitat specialization, evolution of a species’ range, and the dynamics of biological invasions. The American Naturalist 172:233–247. , , and .
- 1937. The wave of advance of advantageous genes. Annals of Eugenics 7:355–369.
- 1960. Thresholds and plateaus in the Hodgkin-Huxley nerve equations. Journal of General Physiology 43:867–896.
- 1997. Genetic models of adaptation and gene flow in peripheral populations. Evolution 51:21–28. , and .
- 2007. Finite difference schemes for reaction-diffusion equations modeling predator-prey interactions in MATLAB. Bulletin of Mathematical Biology 69:931–956.
- 2009. Dangerously few liaisons: a review of mate-finding Allee effects. Population Ecology 51:355–372. , , , and .
- 1995. When does evolution by natural selection prevent extinction? Evolution 49:201–207. , and .
- 1988. Epistasis and the effect of founder events on the additive genetic variance. Evolution 42:441–454.
- 2005. Nonrandom larval dispersal can steepen marine clines. Evolution 59:2509–2517. , , and .
- 2003. The phenomenology of niche evolution via quantitative traits in a ‘black-hole’ sink. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, B 270:215–224. , , and .
- 2004. Allee effects, immigration, and the evolution of species’ niches. The American Naturalist 163:253–262. , , and .
- 2003. Modelling mating success of saproxylic beetles in relation to search behavior, population density and substrate abundance. Animal Behaviour 65:1069–1076. , , , and .
- 2001. Allee effects invasion pinning and species borders. The American Naturalist 157:203–216. , , and .
- 1953. The size of water masses containing plankton bloom. Journal of Marine Research 12:141–147. , and .
- 2007. Eco-evolutionary conservation biology: contemporary evolution and the dynamics of persistence. Functional Ecology 21:444–454. , and .
- 1997. Evolution of a species’ range. American Naturalist 150:1–23. , and .
- 1996. Ecogenetical models as fast-slow systems. In E. E.Schnol, ed. Studies in Mathematical Biology, pp. 88–123. Russian Academy of Science, Pushchino. , and .
- 1976. Natural selection and random genetic drift in phenotypic evolution. Evolution 30:314–334.
- 2002. Evolutionary genetics of invasive species. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 17:386–391.
- 2002. Density-dependent selection on gamete traits in three congeneric sea urchins. Ecology 83:464–479.
- 1993. Allee dynamics and the spread of invading organisms. Theoretical Population Biology 43:141–158. , and .
- 2005. The role of propagule pressure in explaining species invasions. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 20:223–228. , , and .
- 1965. The nature of colonization in birds. In H. G.Baker, and G. L.Stebbins, eds. The Genetics of Colonizing Species, pp. 29–47. Academic Press, New York.
- 1993. Mathematical Biology, 2nd edn. Springer-Verlag, New York.
- 1962. An active pulse transmission line simulating nerve axon. Proceedings of the Institute of Radio Engineers 50:2061–2070. , , and .
- 1975. The bottleneck effect and genetic variability in populations. Evolution 29:1–10. , , and .
- 1980. Diffusion and Ecological Problems: Mathematical Models. Springer-Verlag, New York.
- 1989. A model of population growth, dispersal and evolution in a changing environment. Ecology 70:1657–1664. , , and .
- 2001. The population ecology of contemporary adaptations: what empirical studies reveal about the conditions that promote adaptive evolution. Genetica 112:183–198. , and .
- 2007. Paradox lost: genetic diversity and the success of aquatic invasions. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 22:454–464. , and .
- 2001. The population biology of invasive species. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 32:305–332. , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. Biology Invasions: Theory and Practice. Oxford University Press, New York. , and .
- 1951. Random dispersal in theoretical populations. Biometrika 38:196–218.
- 1999. What is the Allee effect? Oikos 87:185–190. , , and .
- 2007. Invasion speed is affected by geographical variation in the strength of Allee effects. Ecology Letters 10:36–43. , , , , and .
- 2006. Will population bottlenecks and multilocus epistasis increase additive genetic variance? Evolution 60:1763–1776. , and .
- 1838. Notice sur la loi que la population poursuit dans son accroissement. Correspondance Mathématique et Physique 10:113–121.
- 2003. A complete classification of Darwinian extinction in ecological interactions. The American Naturalist 161:181–205.
- 1993. Increased heritable variation following population bottlenecks: the role of dominance. Evolution 47:949–957. , and .