Spatial genetic structure of Aedes aegypti mosquitoes in mainland Southeast Asia
Version of Record online: 27 JAN 2010
© 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 3, Issue 4, pages 319–339, July 2010
How to Cite
Hlaing, T., Tun-Lin, W., Somboon, P., Socheat, D., Setha, T., Min, S., Thaung, S., Anyaele, O., De Silva, B., Chang, M. S., Prakash, A., Linton, Y. and Walton, C. (2010), Spatial genetic structure of Aedes aegypti mosquitoes in mainland Southeast Asia. Evolutionary Applications, 3: 319–339. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2009.00113.x
- Issue online: 18 JUN 2010
- Version of Record online: 27 JAN 2010
- Received: May 6 2009 Accepted: November 25 2009 First published online: 27 January 2010
- 2002. The estimation of population differentiation with microsatellite markers. Molecular Ecology 11:155–165. , and .
- 2007. Kgtests: a simple Excel Macro program to detect signatures of population expansion using microsatellites. Molecular Ecology Notes 7:416–417.
- 1998. Quantitative genetics of vector competence for Dengue-2 virus in Aedes aegypti. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 59:965–970. , , and .
- 2005. Genetic structure of Aedes aegypti populations in Thailand using mitochondrial DNA. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 72:434–442. , , , , , and .
- 1994. High resolution of human evolutionary trees with polymorphic microsatellites. Nature 368:455–457. , , , , , and .
- 2007. An aggregation pheromone modulates lekking behaviour in the vector mosquito Aedes aegypti (Diptera: Culicidae). Journal of the American Mosquito Control Association 23:1–10. , and .
- 2007. Bayesian clustering algorithms ascertaining spatial population structure: a new computer program and a comparison study. Molecular Ecology Notes 7:747–756. , , , and .
- 1960. Aedes aegypti (L.), the Yellow Fever Mosquito. Cambridge University Press, London.
- 2003. Microsatellite analyser (MSA): a platform independent analysis tool for large microsatellite data sets. Molecular Ecology Notes 3:167–169. , and .
- 1998. Aedes aegypti (Diptera: Culicidae) movement influenced by availability of oviposition sites. Journal of Medical Entomology 35:578–583. , , , , , and .
- 2006. An integrated software package for population genetics data analysis. User manual, Computational and Molecular Population Genetics Lab (CMPG), Institute of Zoology, University of Berne, Berne. , , and .
- 2002. Geographic genetic variation in populations of the dengue virus vector Aedes aegypti. Journal of Molecular Evolution 55:653–663. , , and .
- 2006. Identifying the environmental factors that determine the genetic structure of populations. Genetics 174:875–891. , and .
- 2006. Bayesian clustering using hidden Markov random fields in spatial population genetics. Genetics 174S:805–816. , , and .
- 2003. Characteristics of the spatial pattern of the dengue vector, Aedes aegypti, in Iquitos, Peru. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 69:494–505. , , , and .
- 1996. Genetic variation in arthropod vectors of disease-causing organisms: obstacles and opportunities. Clinical Microbiology Review 9:301–320.
- 2002. Breeding structure of Aedes aegypti populations in Mexico varies by region. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 66:213–222. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998a. Dengue and Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever. Clinical Microbiology Review 11:480–496.
- 1998b. Resurgent vector-borne diseases as a global health problem. Emerging Infectious Diseases 4:442–450.
- 2002. The global emergence/resurgence of arboviral diseases as public health problems. Archives of Medical Research 33:330–342.
- 1995. Dengue/dengue hemorrhagic fever: the emergence of a global health forum. Emerging Infectious Diseases 1:55–57. , and .
- 1979. Variation in susceptibility to oral infection with dengue viruses among geographic strains of Aedes aegypti. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 28:1045–1052. , , , , and .
- 2005. A spatial statistical model for landscape genetics. Genetics 170:1261–1280. , , , and .
- 2002. Dengue: an update. Lancet Infectious Diseases 2:33–42. , and .
- 1960. New hemorrhagic fevers of children in the Philippines and Thailand. Transactions of the Association of American Physicians 73:140–155. , , , , and .
- 2005. Dispersal of the dengue vector Aedes aegypti within and between rural communities. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 72:209–220. , , , , , , et al.
- 1971. Observations on the mating behaviour of Aedes aegypti in nature. WHO Bulletin 45:847–850.
- 1999. Highly variable loci and their interpretation in evolution and conservation. Evolution 53:313–318.
- 2006. Population genetic structure of the dengue mosquito Aedes aegypti in Venezuela. Memórias do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, Rio de Janeiro 101:625–633. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Mitochondrial pseudogenes in the nuclear genome of Aedes aegypti mosquitoes: implications for past and future population genetic studies. BMC Genetics 10:11. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Dispersal of Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus (Diptera: Culicidae) in an urban endemic dengue area in the State of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Memórias do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, Rio de Janeiro 98:191–198. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Genetic differentiation of the dengue vector, Aedes aegypti (Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam) using microsatellite markers. Molecular Ecology 11:1629–1635. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Human transportation influences Aedes aegypti gene flow in Southeast Asia. Acta Tropica 90:23–29. , , , and .
- 2007. CLUMPP: a cluster matching and permutation program for dealing with label switching and multimodality in analysis of population structure. Bioinformatics 23:1801–1806. , and .
- 2006. Evaluation of drive mechanisms (including transgenes and drivers) in different environmental conditions and genetic backgrounds. In B. G. J.Knols, and C.Louis, eds. Bridging Laboratory and Field Research for Genetic Control of Disease Vectors, pp. 149–155. Springer, Dordrecht, The Netherlands. , , , , and .
- 2006. Malaria and dengue vector biology and control in Southeast Asia. In B. G. J.Knols, and C.Louis, eds. Bridging Laboratory and Field Research for Genetic Control of Disease Vectors, pp. 111–127. Springer, Dordrecht, The Netherlands.
- 1998. Resistance management: the stable zone strategy. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series B: Biological Sciences. 265:1985–1990. , and .
- 1993. Waves of extinction from sterile insect release. Mathematical Biosciences 116:221. , and .
- 2003. Landscape genetics: combining landscape ecology and population genetics. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 18:189–197. , , , and .
- 2005. Phylogeography and population structure of Aedes aegypti in Arizona. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 72:304–310. , , and .
- 2002. Genetic structure of Aedes aegypti populations in Chiang Mai (Thailand) and relation with dengue transmission. Tropical Medicine and International Health 7:865–872. , , , , , and .
- 1998. Summary of dengue situation in WHO Western Pacific region. WHO Dengue Bulletin 22:12–22.
- 2000. The evolution of cooperative and pair breeding in thornbills Acanthiza (Pardalotidae). Journal of Avian Biology 31:165–176. , , , and .
- 1996. Is it ancient or modern history that we can read in our genes? In M. E.Hochberg, and R.Barbault, eds. Aspects of the Genesis and Maintenance of Biological Diversity, pp. 69–87. Oxford UP, Oxford. , and .
- 1995. The role of passive migration in the dispersal of resistance genes in Culex pipiens quinquefasciatus from French Polynesia. Genetical research 66:139–146. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Influence of breeding sites features on genetic differentiation of Aedes aegypti populations analyzed on a local scale in Phnom Penh Municipality of Cambodia. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 71:73–81. , , , , , , and .
- 2008. Gene flow between domestic and sylvan populations of Aedes aegypti (Diptera: Culicidae) in North Cameroon. Journal of Medical Entomology 45:391–400. , , , , , and .
- 1980. Genetics and the origin of a vector population, Aedes aegypti, a case study. Science 208:1385–1387. , , and .
- 1998. Current status of dengue/dengue haemorrhagic fever in WHO Southeast Asia region. WHO Dengue Bulletin 22:1–15. , , and .
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155:945–959. , , and .
- 1994. Illustrated keys to the medically important mosquitoes in Thailand. Southeast Asian Journal of Tropical Medicine and Public Health 25:58–59. , and .
- 2001. A preliminary study of the population genetics of Aedes aegypti (Diptera: Culicidae) from Mexico using microsatellite and AFLP markers. Acta Tropica 78:241–250. , , , , and .
- 2002. Microsatellite markers for population genetic studies in Aedes aegypti (Diptera: Culicidae) from Cote d’Ivoire: evidence for a microgeographic genetic differentiation of mosquitoes from Bouake. Acta Tropica 82:39–49. , , , , and .
- 1999. Statistical properties of two tests that use multilocus data sets to detect population expansions. Molecular Biology and Evolution 16:453–466. , , and .
- 1995. Dispersal of Aedes aegypti in an urban area after blood feeding as demonstrated by rubidium-marked eggs. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 52:177–179. , , , and .
- 2001. Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual, 3rd edn. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, New York. , and .
- 2008. Population genetics and phylogeography of Aedes aegypti (Diptera: Culicidae) from Brazil. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 78:895–903. , , and .
- 2002. The ecology of genetically modified mosquitoes. Science 298:117–119. , , , and .
- 1987. Gene flow and the geographic structure of natural populations. Science 236:787–792.
- 1995. A measure of population subdivision based on microsatellite allele frequencies. Genetics 139:457–462.
- 2007. Polymorphic microsatellite markers for studies of Aedes aegypti (Diptera: Culicidae), the vector of dengue and yellow fever. Molecular Ecology Notes 7:168–171. , , , , , , et al.
- 1956. The history of dengue in tropical Asia and its probable relationship to the mosquito Aedes aegypti. Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 59:243–251.
- 2006. Putting the ‘landscape’ in landscape genetics. Heredity 98:128. , , , , , , et al.
- 1991. Evolutionary genetics and arthropod borne disease: the yellow fever mosquito. American Entomologist (USA) 37:14–24.
- 1979. Worldwide survey of genetic variation in the yellow fever mosquito, Aedes aegypti. Genetical Research 34:215–229. , and .
- 2000. Insect population control using a dominant, repressible, lethal genetic system. Science 287:2474–2476. , , , and .
- 2004. Myanmar dengue outbreak associated with displacement of serotypes 2, 3, and 4 by dengue 1. Emerging Infectious Diseases 10:593–597. , , , , , , et al.
- 1983. Macrogeographic genetic variation in a human commensal: Aedes aegypti, the yellow fever mosquito. Genetical Research 41:241–258. , , and .
- 1984. Estimating F-statistics for the analysis of population structure. Evolution 38:1358–1370. , and .
- WHO. 2006. Situation of dengue/DHF in the Southeast Asia region: prevention and control status in SEA countries http://www.searo.who.int/en/Section10/Section332_1099.htm (accessed 15 January 2010).
- WHO. 2007. Mobilizing research to halt exponential growth of dengue. TDR news 77:8–11.
- WHO. 2008. Dengue and dengue haemorrhagic fever fact sheet No. 117 (Revised in May 2008). http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs117/en/ (accessed 15 January 2010).
- 1921. Systems of mating: the effects of inbreeding on the genetic composition of a population. Genetics 6:124–143.