SYNTHESIS: The role of adaptive trans-generational plasticity in biological invasions of plants
Article first published online: 28 JAN 2010
© 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Special Issue: Synthesizing ecology and evolution for the study of invasive species
Volume 3, Issue 2, pages 179–192, March 2010
How to Cite
Dyer, A. R., Brown, C. S., Espeland, E. K., McKay, J. K., Meimberg, H. and Rice, K. J. (2010), SYNTHESIS: The role of adaptive trans-generational plasticity in biological invasions of plants. Evolutionary Applications, 3: 179–192. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2010.00118.x
- Issue published online: 26 FEB 2010
- Article first published online: 28 JAN 2010
- Received: 24 November 2009 Accepted: 21 December 2009
- 1999. Transgenerational induction of defenses in animals and plants. Nature 401:60–63. , , and .
- 1994. Effect of clonal integration on plant plasticity in Fragaria chiloensis. Plant Ecology 141:99–106.
- 2002. Relative advantages of plasticity and fixity in different environments: when is it good for a plant to adjust? Evolutionary Ecology 16:285–297. , and .
- 1976. The nature of limits to natural selection. Annals of the Missouri Botanical Garden 63:224–247.
- 2008. Stress-induced dynamic adjustments of reproduction differentially affect fitness components of a semi-arid plant. Journal of Ecology 96:222–229. , , and .
- 1965. Characteristics and modes of origin of weeds. In H. G.Baker, and G. L.Stebbins, eds. The Genetics of Colonizing Species, pp. 147–172. Academic Press, New York.
- 1974. The evolution of weeds. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 5:1–14.
- 1965. The Genetics of Colonizing Species. Academic Press, New York. , and .
- 1979. The nutritional ecology of Cyperus esculentus, an emergent aquatic plant. Aquatic Botany 6:13–28. , and .
- 1991. Genetic and evolutionary consequences of small population size in plants: implications for conservation. In D. A.Falk, and K. E.Holsinger, eds. Genetics and Conservation of Rare Plants, pp. 3–30. Oxford University Press, New York. , and .
- 2008. Population differentiation for plasticity to light in an annual herb: adaptation and cost. American Journal of Botany 95:59–65. , and .
- 1965. Evolutionary significance of phenotypic plasticity in plants. Advances in Genetics 13:115–155.
- 2008. Recruitment advantage of large seeds is greater in shaded habitats. Ecoscience 15:498–507. , and .
- California Exotic Pest Plant Council 1999. Exotic Pest Plants of Greatest Ecological Concern in California. California Exotic Pest Plant Council, San Juan Capistrano, CA.
- 1996. Parental effects in Plantago lanceolata L. 2. Manipulation of grandparental temperature and parental flowering time. Heredity 76:287–295. , , and .
- 1980. The mineral nutrition of wild plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 11:233–260. .
- 1989. Response of growth, photosynthesis, and phosphate absorption to phosphorus stress in wild, weedy, and cultivated Hordeum species. Oecologia 79:96–105. , , and .
- 1993. Evolution of suites of traits in response to environmental stress. American Naturalist 142:S78–S92. , , and .
- 2008. Dispersal in Plants: A Population Perspective. Oxford University Press, New York. , , and .
- 2006. Recognition that causal processes change during plant invasion helps explain conflicts in evidence. Ecology 87:1359–1367. , and .
- 2008. Founding events in species invasions: genetic variation, adaptive evolution, and the role of multiple introductions. Molecular Ecology 17:431–449. , and .
- 2003. Setting the stage: phenotypic plasticity as habitat selection. International Journal of Plant Science 164:S579–S592.
- 1998. Maternal environmental effects: adaptive plasticity? In T. A.Mousseau, and C. W.Fox, eds. Maternal Effects as Adaptations, pp. 137–158. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK. , and .
- 1987. Patterns of genotypic diversity in clonal plant species. American Journal of Botany 74:123–131. , and .
- 2005. Mineral Nutrition of Plants: Principles and Perspectives, 2nd edn. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA, USA. , and .
- 2002. The influence of light on paternal plants in Campanula americana (Campanulaceae): pollen characteristics and offspring traits. American Journal of Botany 89:1899–1906. , and .
- 1995. A spatially explicit test of foraging behavior in a clonal plant. Ecology 76:1147–1155. , and .
- 2000. Evolutionary ecology of progeny size in arthropods. Annual Review of Entomology 45:341–369. , and .
- 2008. Differences in plasticity between invasive and native plants from a low resource environment. Journal of Ecology 96:1162–1173.
- 2005. Maternal effects provide phenotypic adaptation to local environmental conditions. New Phytologist 166:93–100.
- 2007. Transgenerational plasticity is adaptive in the wild. Science 318:1134–1136. , and .
- 2007. Adaptive versus non-adaptive phenotypic plasticity and the potential for contemporary adaptation in new environments. Functional Ecology 21:394–407. , , , and .
- 2004. Physiologically mediated self/non-self discrimination in roots. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, United States of America 101:3863–3867. , and .
- 2000. Maternal effects on seeds during development. In M.Fenner, ed. Seeds: The Ecology of Regeneration in Plant Communities, pp. 59–85. CABI Publishing, Wallingford, UK.
- 1970. The shapes and sizes of seeds. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 1:327–356. , , and .
- 1986. The effect of plant size variation on genetic drift in populations of annuals. The American Naturalist 127:851–861.
- 2004. The plastic plant: root responses to heterogeneous supplies of nutrients. New Phytologist 162:9–24.
- 1987. Genetic variation in yellow nutsedge (Cyperus esculentus). Weed Science 35:506–512. , , and .
- 1994. Foraging in plants: the role of morphological plasticity in resource acquisition. Advances in Ecological Research 25:1159–1238. , and .
- 1989. The inheritance of acquired epigenetic variations. Journal of Theoretical Biology 139:69–83. , and .
- 2001. Adpative evolution of plastic foraging responses in a clonal plant. Ecology 82:3309–3319. , and .
- 1995. Morphological plasticity in clonal plants: the foraging concept revisited. Journal of Ecology 83:143–152. , and .
- 2002. Evolutionary genetics of invasive species. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 118:386–391.
- 2009. Genetic variation and local adaptation at a cheatgrass (Bromus tectorum) invasion edge in western Nevada. Molecular Ecology 18:4366–4379. , , , and .
- 2002. Gene flow and the limits to natural selection. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 17:183–189.
- 2001. Effects of light quantity and quality on growth and reproduction of a clonal sedge, Cyperus esculentus. Plant Species Biology 16:69–81. , , , , and .
- 2006. SAS for Mixed Models, 2nd edn. SAS Institute, Cary, NC. , , , , and .
- 2004. Rapid evolution of an invasive plant. Ecological Monographs 74:261–280. , , , , and .
- 1978. Optimization theory in evolution. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 9:31–56.
- 1987. Parental investment in offspring in variable environments – theoretical and empirical considerations. American Naturalist 130:370–398. , , and .
- 2006. Molecular evidence for an extreme genetic bottleneck during the introduction of barbed goatgrass, Aegilops triuncialis, to California. Biological Invasions 8:1355–1366. , , , , , , and .
- 1991. Effects of maternal nutrient pulse on reproduction of two colonizing Plantago species. Ecology 72:586–596. , , and .
- 2004. What do seedlings die from and what are the implications for evolution of seed size? Oikos 106:193–199. , and .
- 1998. Maternal Effects as Adaptations. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK. , and .
- 1991. Genetic variation in Bromus tectorum (Poaceae): population differentiation in its North American range. American Journal of Botany 78:1150–1161. , , and .
- 1995. Reaction norms of Arabidopsis.1. Plasticity of characters and correlations across water, nutrient and light gradients. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 8:421–438. , , and .
- 1991. Maternal effects of temperature on metabolism in the C4 weed Echinochloa crus-galli. Ecology 72:1973–1979. , and .
- 1991a. Ecological genetics of Bromus tectorum. II. Intraspecific variation in phenotypic plasticity. Oecologia 88:84–90. , and .
- 1991b. Ecological genetics of Bromus tectorum: III. The demography of reciprocally sown populations. Oecologia 88:91–101. , and .
- 1987. Maternal effects in plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 18:209–235. , and .
- 2001. The population biology of invasive species. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 32:305–332. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Local adaptation, patterns of selection, and gene flow in the Californian serpentine sunflower (Helianthus exilis). Evolution 60:696–710. , and .
- 1994. Effects of maternal and paternal environment and genotype on offspring phenotype in Solidago altissima L. Evolution 48:1525–1549. , and .
- 1992. Norms of reaction of seed traits to maternal environments in Plantago lanceolata. American Naturalist 139:451–466. , , and .
- 2002. Ecological genetics of the invasive shrub, Tamarix ramosissima, at latitudinal extremes. Ecological Applications 12:1652–1660. , , and .
- 1998. Genetics of maternal and paternal effects. In T. A.Mousseau, and C. W.Fox, eds. Maternal Effects as Adaptations, pp. 97–111. Oxford University Press, New York. , and .
- 1987. Biology and life cycle of purple and yellow nutsedge (Cyperus rotundus and C.esculentus). Weed Technology 1:66–73. , and .
- 1989. Competiton prolongs expression of maternal effects in seedlings of Erigeron annuus (Asteraceae). American Journal of Botany 76:1646–1653.
- 2006. Evolutionary responses of natives to introduced species: what do introductions tell us about natural communities? Ecology Letters 9:354–371. , , and .
- 2009. Contrasting patterns of transgenerational plasticity in ecologically distinct congeners. Ecology 90:1831–1839. , , and .
- 1961. Reproductive potential of Cyperus esculentus by tubers. Weeds 9:646–653. , and .
- 2004. Seed mass and the competition/colonization trade-off: competitive interactions and spatial patterns in a guild of annual plants. Journal of Ecology 92:97–109. , , , and .
- 2004. The effects of maternal salinity and seed environment on germination and growth in Iris hexagona. Evolutionary Ecology Research 6:813–832. , and .
- 2007. Effects of exotic species on evolutionary diversification. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 22:481–488. , , , , , , and .
- 2003. Evolution of herbicide resistance in weeds: vertically transmitted fungal endophytes as genetic entities. Evolutionary Ecology 17:441–456. , , and .
- 2002a. Phenotypic and allozyme variation in Mediterranean and desert populations of wild barley, Hordeum spontaneum Koch. Evolution 56:1403–1415. , , , and .
- 2002b. Differentiation along a gradient of environmental productivity and predictability in populations of Hordeum spontaneum Koch: multilevel selection analysis. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 75:313–318. , , and .
- 2004. Phenotypic selection and regulation of reproduction in different environments in wild barley. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 17:1121–1131. , , , and .
- 2000. Plasticity vs. canalization: population difference in the timing of shade-avoidance responses. Evolution 54:441–451.
- 1982. Growth and reproduction of Cyperus esculentus L. and Cyperus rotundus L. Weed Research 22:149–154.
- 1996. Effects of nutrient amendment and environment on growth and gas exchange for introduced Pennisetum setaceum in Hawaii. Canadian Journal of Botany 74:268–275. , and .
- 1998. Evolutionary consequences of indirect genetic effects. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 13:64–69. , , , , and .
- 2006. Regulation of seed size by hypomethylation of maternal and paternal genomes. Plant Physiology 142:1160–1168. , , , , , and .