The skill and style to model the evolution of resistance to pesticides and drugs
Version of Record online: 29 MAR 2010
© 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 3, Issue 4, pages 375–390, July 2010
How to Cite
REX Consortium (2010), The skill and style to model the evolution of resistance to pesticides and drugs. Evolutionary Applications, 3: 375–390. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2010.00124.x
- Issue online: 18 JUN 2010
- Version of Record online: 29 MAR 2010
- Received: 24 September 2009 Accepted: 6 February 2010 First published online: 29 March 2010
- 1991. Infectious Diseases of Humans: Dynamics and Control. Oxford University Press, Oxford. , and .
- 1998. F2 screen for rare resistance alleles. Journal of Economical Entomology 91:572–578. , and .
- 1995. Controlling the false discovery rate – a practical and powerful approach to multiple testing. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B-Methodological 57:289–300. , and .
- 1996. Surveying patterns in the cost of resistance in plants. American Naturalist 148:536–558. , and .
- 2006. Epidemic dynamics and antigenic evolution in a single season of influenza A. Proceedings of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 273:1307–1316. , , , and .
- 2008a. Mathematical models for a new era of malaria eradication. PLoS Medicine 5:1542–1543. , , and .
- 2008b. Benefits of using multiple first-line therapies against malaria. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 105:14216–14227. , , and .
- 2000. Insecticide resistance and dominance levels. Journal of Economical Entomology 93:1588–1595. , , and .
- 2003. Frequency of alleles conferring resistance to Bt maize in French and US corn belt populations of the European corn borer, Ostrinia nubilalis. Theoritical and Applied Genetics 106:1225–1233. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Regulating insect resistance management: the case of non-Bt corn refuges in the US. Journal of Environmental Management 76:210–220. , , and .
- 1997. Perspectives on glyphosate resistance. Weed Technology 11:189–198. , , , and .
- 2001. Source-sink dynamics between transgenic and non-transgenic habitats and their role in the evolution of resistance. Journal of Economic Entomology 94:698–705. .
- 2001. Overwintering cost associated with resistance to transgenic cotton in the pink bollworm (Lepidoptera: Gelechiidae). Journal of Economical Entomology 94:935–941. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Modeling the spatial and temporal location of refugia to manage resistance in Bt transgenic crops. Agriculture Ecosystems & Environment 102:163–174. , and .
- 2007. At least two origins of fungicide resistance in grapevine downy mildew populations. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 73:5162–5172. , , , , , and .
- 1994. Amelioration of the deletrious pleiotropic effects of an adaptive mutation in Bacillus subtilis. Evolution 48:81–95. , , and .
- 2006. Resistance of hepatitis C virus to NS3-4A protease inhibitors: mechanisms of drug resistance induced by R155Q, A156T, D168A and D168V mutations. Antiviral Therapy 11:847–855. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. History and importance of antimalarial drug resistance. Tropical Medicine and International Health 6:845–848. , and .
- 2007. Applying population-genetic models in theoretical evolutionary epidemiology. Ecology Letters 10:876–888. , and .
- 2009. Evolutionary epidemiology of drug-resistance in space. PLoS Computational Biology 5:e1000337. , , and .
- 1992. Tactics for managing pesticide resistance in arthropods – theory and practice. Annual Review of Entomology 37:91–112. , and .
- 2007. The evolutionary ecology of insect resistance to plant chemicals. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 22:298–307. , , and .
- 1994. Resistance to glyphosate. In S. B.Powles, and J. A. M.Holtum, eds. Herbicide Resistance in Plants: Biology and Biochemistry, pp. 353. Lewis Publishers Inc., Boca Raton, FL. .
- 1997. MdfA, an Escherichia coli multidrug resistance protein with an extraordinarily broad spectrum of drug recognition. Journal of Bacteriology 179:2274–2280. , and .
- 2002. Biochemistry and genetics of insect resistance to Bacillus thuringiensis. Annual Review Entomology 47:501–533. , and .
- 2009. Socio-economic impact of antiviral intervention. In H.-G.Kraüsslich, and R.Bartenschlager, eds. Handbook of Experimental Pharmacology: Antiviral Strategies, pp. 347–374. Springer, Berlin. , and .
- 2000. Evolution of lamivudine resistance in human immunodeficiency virus type 1-infected individuals: the relative roles of drift and selection. Journal of Virology 74:6262–6268. , , , , and .
- 2009. Fitness cost of drug resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Clinical Microbiology and Infection 15:66–68. .
- 2001. Identification of a gene associated with Bt resistance in Heliothis virescens. Science 293:857–860. , , and .
- 2003. Initial frequency of alleles conferring resistance to Bacillus thuringiensis poplar in field population of Chrysomela tremulae. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series B 270:791–797. , , , , , and .
- 1986. The Magnitude of the Resistance Problem: Pesticide Resistance: Strategies and Tactics for Management. National Academic Press, Washington DC. .
- 1997. Initial frequency of alleles for resistance to Bacillus thuringiensis toxins in field populations of Heliothis virescens. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 94:3519–3523. , , , , , , et al.
- 1993. Resistance to Bacillus thuringiensis affects mating success of the diamondback moth (Lepidoptera, Plutellidae). Journal of Economical Entomology 86:1035–1039. , , , and .
- 1999. Antibiotic use in humans and bacterial resistance. Current Opinion in Microbiolology 2:494–498. .
- 1999. Beta-lactam-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae: epidemiology and evolutionary mechanism. Chemotherapy 45:83–94. .
- 2004. The origins of antimalarial drug resistance. Trends in Parasitology 20:512–518. .
- 2001. The Lys103Asn mutation of HIV-1 RT: a novel mechanism of drug resistance. Journal of Molecular Biology 309:437–445. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Evolution of resistance to Bt crops: directional selection in structured environments. Ecology Letters 5:792–801. , and .
- 2000. Apple fruit infested with codling moth are more attractive to neonate codling moth larvae and possess increased amounts of (E,E)-alpha-farnesene. Journal of Chemical Ecology 26:1685–1699. , , , , and .
- 1998. Evaluating gene flow using selected markers: a case study. Genetics 149:1383–1392. , , , and .
- 2001. Minimizing potential resistance: a population dynamics view. Clinical Infectious Diseases 33:S161–S169. .
- 2002. Models for the spread of resistant pathogens. Netherlands Journal of Medicine 60:58–64. .
- 2000. Compensatory mutations, antibiotic resistance and the population genetics of adaptive evolution in bacteria. Genetics 154:985–997. , , and .
- 2004. Antibacterial resistance worldwide: causes, challenges and responses. Nature Medecine 10:S122–S129. , and .
- 2008. Reproductive strategy of an invasive thistle: effects of adults on seedling survival. Biological Invasions 10:913–924. , and .
- 1997. Control of antimicrobial resistance in the health care system. Infectious Disease Clinics of North America 11:297–&. , and .
- 2004. Composed-error model for estimating pest-damage functions and the impact of the western corn rootworm soybean variant in Illinois. American Journal of Agricultural Economics 86:332–344. Direct Link:, , and .
- 2003. Three cadherin alleles associated with resistance to Bacillus thuringiensis in pink bollworm. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences United States of America 100:5004–5009. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Challenges for herbicide resistance evolution and management: 50 years after Harper. Weed Research 47:365–369. .
- 2002. Septoria leaf spot intensity, defoliation, and yield loss relationships in southern blueberries. Phytopathology 92:S1025. , , and .
- 2000. Fitness costs of resistance to Bacillus thuringiensis in the Indianmeal moth, Plodia interpunctella. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata 96:281–287. , , , and .
- 2005. Mycotoxins produced by Fusarium spp. in isogenic Bt vs. non-Bt maize hybrids under European corn borer pressure. Agronomy Journal 97:219–224. , , , , , , and .
- 2002. Rapid report – linkage of genes for sodium channel and cytochrome P450 (CYP6B10) in Heliothis virescens. Pest Management Science 58:209–212. , and .
- 1999. Spread of resistance in spatially extended regions of transgenic cotton: implications for management of Heliothis virescens (Lepidoptera : Noctuidae). Journal of Economic Entomology 92:1–16. , , and .
- 1994. Herbicide Resistance in Plants: Biology and Biochemistry, 353 pp. Lewis Publishers Inc., Boca Raton, FL. , and .
- 2000. Costs of resistance. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 3:305. .
- R Development Core Team 2006. R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
- 1998. An overview of the evolution of overproduced esterases in the mosquito Culex pipiens. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London 353:1707–1711. , , , , and .
- REX Consortium, I. F. 2007. Structure of the scientific community modelling the evolution of resistance. PLoS ONE 2:e1275.
- 1987. Ecological genetics of insecticide and acaricide resistance. Annual Review of Entomology 32:361–380. , and .
- 2004. The dominance of the herbicide resistance cost in several Arabidopsis thaliana mutant lines. Genetics 166:449–460. , , and .
- 2005. Evolution of resistance to transgenic crops: interactions between insect movement and field distribution. Journal of Economic Entomology 98:1751–1762. , , , and .
- 1986. Computer simulations as a tool for pesticide resistance management. In Pesticide Resistance: Strategies and Tactics for Management. National Academy Press, Washington DC. .
- 1997. One gene in diamondback moth confers resistance to four Bacillus thuringiensis toxins. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 94:1640–1644. , , , , and .
- 2000. Frequency of resistance to pink bollworm in field populations of Bacillus thuringiensis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 97:12980–12984. , , , , , , and .
- 2002. Mechanism of plasmid-mediated quinolone resistance. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 99:5638–5642. , and .
- 2008. Landscape refuges delay resistance of the European corn borer to Bt-maize: a demo-genetic dynamic model. Theoretical Population Biology 74:138–146. , , , and .
- 2003. Modelling the spatial configuration of refuges for a sustainable control of pests: a case study of Bt cotton. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 16:378–387. , , , , and .
- 2006. Fees or refuges: which is better for the sustainable management of insect resistance to transgenic Bt corn? Biology Letters 2:198–202. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Modern Applied Statistics with S. Springer, Berlin. , and .
- 2009. The cost of multiple drug resistance in Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 22:997–1003. , , and .
- 2006. Frequency and fitness cost of resistance to Bacillus thuringiensis in Chrysomela tremulae (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae). Heredity 97:127–134. , , , , , , et al.