Anthropogenic disturbance and evolutionary parameters: a lemon shark population experiencing habitat loss
Version of Record online: 6 APR 2010
© 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 4, Issue 1, pages 1–17, January 2011
How to Cite
DiBattista, J. D., Feldheim, K. A., Garant, D., Gruber, S. H. and Hendry, A. P. (2011), Anthropogenic disturbance and evolutionary parameters: a lemon shark population experiencing habitat loss. Evolutionary Applications, 4: 1–17. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2010.00125.x
- Issue online: 6 APR 2010
- Version of Record online: 6 APR 2010
- Received: 11 February 2010 Accepted: 19 February 2010 First published online: 6 April 2010
- 2006. Geographical patterns of adaptation within a species’ range: interactions between drift and gene flow. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 19:203–215. , , and .
- 2009. Evolutionary rescue can prevent extinction following environmental change. Ecology Letters 12:942–948. , and .
- 2004. Predators select against high growth rates and risk-taking behaviour in domestic trout populations. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B 271:2233–2237. , , , and .
- 2009. Reduced effective population size in an overexploited population of the Nile crocodile (Crocodylus niloticus). Biological Conservation 142:2335–2341. , , , and .
- 2006. Climate change and population declines in a long-distance migratory bird. Nature 441:81–83. , , , and .
- 2001. Genetic and demographic parameters determining population persistence after a discrete change in the environment. Heredity 86:313–324. , and .
- 1990. Early life history implications of selected Carcharinoid and Lamnoid sharks of the Northwest Atlantic. In H. L.Pratt, S. H.Gruber, and T.Taniuchi, eds. Elasmobranchs as Living Resources. NOAA Technical Report 90. Washington, US.
- 1995. Visualizing and quantifying natural selection. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 10:313–318. , , and .
- 2004. Size matters: a test of boldness in eight populations of the poeciliid Brachyraphis episcopi. Animal Behavior 68:1325–1329. , and .
- 1988. Age assessment of the lemon shark, Negaprion brevirostris, using tetracycline validated vertebral centra. Copeia 1998:747–753. , and .
- 1990. Multivariate phenotypic differentiation among bottleneck lines of the housefly. Evolution 44:660–668. , and .
- 1995. Evolution and extinction in a changing environment: a quantitative-genetic analysis. Evolution 49:151–163. , and .
- 2003. Population genetic structure of male black grouse (Tetrao tetrix L.) in fragmented vs. continuous landscapes. Molecular Ecology 12:2297–2305. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Seasonal mortality and the effect of body size: a review and an empirical test using individual data on brown trout. Functional Ecology 22:663–673. , , and .
- 2008. Facing change: forms and foundations of contemporary adaptation to biotic invasions. Molecular Ecology 17:361–372.
- 2005. Quantitative variation as a tool for detecting human-induced impacts on genetic diversity. Biological Conservation 124:1–13. , , and .
- 2009. Long-term natal site-fidelity by immature lemon sharks (Negaprion brevirostris) at a subtropical island. Molecular Ecology 18:3500–3507. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Environmental quality and evolutionary potential: lessons from wild populations. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B 272:1415–1425. , and .
- 1984. FAO Species Catalogue: Sharks of the World. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome, Italy.
- 1999. Inbreeding depression in the wild. Heredity 8:260–270. , and .
- 2006. Effects of habitat loss and fragmentation on amphibians: a review and prospectus. Biological Conservation 128:231–240.
- 2009. Human predators outpace other agents of trait change in the wild. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 106:952–954. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Patterns of genetic variation in anthropogenically impacted populations. Conservation Genetics 9:141–156.
- 2007. When bigger is not better: selection against large size, high condition, and fast growth in juvenile lemon sharks. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 20:201–212. , , , and .
- 2008a. A genetic assessment of polyandry and breeding site fidelity in lemon sharks. Molecular Ecology 17:3337–3351. , , , , and .
- 2008b. Are indirect genetic benefits associated with polyandry? A test in a natural population of lemon sharks. Molecular Ecology 17:783–795. , , , and .
- 2009. Evolutionary potential of a large marine vertebrate: quantitative genetic parameters in a wild population. Evolution 63:1051–1067. , , , , and .
- 2003. Effects of intense versus diffuse population bottlenecks on microsatellite genetic diversity and evolutionary potential. Conservation Genetics 4:595–604. , , , , , and .
- 2001. How much habitat is enough? Biological Conservation 100:65–74.
- 2002. Impacts of dredging on marine-communities — The Bimini lemon shark. Bahamas Journal of Science 9:28–35. , and .
- 2001. Population genetic structure of the lemon shark (Negaprion brevirostris) in the western Atlantic: DNA microsatellite variation. Molecular Ecology 10:295–303. Direct Link:, , and .
- 2002. The breeding biology of lemon sharks at a tropical nursery lagoon. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B 269:1655–1661. , , and .
- 2004. Reconstruction of parental microsatellite genotypes reveals female polyandry and philopatry in the lemon shark, Negaprion brevirostris. Evolution 10:2332–2342. , , and .
- 1995. Conservation genetics. Annual Review of Genetics 29:305–327.
- 1996. Relationship of genetic variation to population size in wildlife. Conservation Biology 10:1500–1508.
- 2005. Genetics and extinction. Biological Conservation 126:131–140.
- 2007. The spatial ecology and resource selection of juvenile lemon sharks (Negaprion brevirostris) in their primary nursery areas. PhD thesis, Drexel Univeristy, US.
- 2007. Comparative estimation of effective population sizes and temporal gene flow in two contrasting population systems. Molecular Ecology 16:3866–3889. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Maternal effects provide phenotypic adaptation to local environmental conditions. New Phytologist 166:93–100.
- 2005. How to use molecular marker data to measure evolutionary parameters in wild populations. Molecular Ecology 14:1843–1859. , and .
- 1996. Genetic diversity and population size in four southern Appalachian plant species. Conservation Biology 10:796–805. , , and .
- 1995. When does evolution by natural selection prevent extinction? Evolution 49:201–207. , and .
- 1995. Epistasis and the increase in additive genetic variance: implications for phase 1 of Wright’s shifting balance process. Evolution 49:502–511.
- 2005. Patterns of genetic diversity and migration in increasingly fragmented and declining orang-utan (Pongo pygmaeus) populations from Sabah, Malaysia. Molecular Ecology 14:441–456. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Adaptive changes in life history and survival following a new guppy introduction. The American Naturalist 174:34–45. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Mega-resort development on Bimini: sound economics or environmental disaster. Bahamas Journal of Science 9:2–18. , and .
- 2001. Survival of juvenile lemon sharks at Bimini, Bahamas, estimated by mark-depletion experiments. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 130:376–384. , , and .
- 2006. Bottlenecked but long-lived: high genetic diversity retained in white-tailed eagles upon recovery from population decline. Biology Letters 2:316–319. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Molecular-level variation affects population growth in a butterfly metapopulation. PLOS Biology 4:719–726. , and .
- 2008. Effect of metal stress on life history divergence and quantitative genetic architecture in a wolf spider. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 21:183–193. , , and .
- 1999. Perspective: the pace of modern life: measuring rates of contemporary microevolution. Evolution 53:1637–1653. , and .
- HendryA. P., and S. C.Stearns (eds). 2004. Evolution Illuminated: Salmon and Their Relatives. Oxford University Press, New York.
- 2006. Possible human impacts on adaptive radiation: beak size bimodality in Darwin’s finches. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B 273:1887–1894. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Human influences on rates of phenotypic change in wild animal populations. Molecular Ecology 17:20–29. , , and .
- 1999. Heritable variation and evolution under favourable and unfavourable conditions. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 14:96–102. , and .
- 1998. Logistic regression for empirical studies of multivariate selection. Evolution 52:1564–1571. , and .
- 2008. Effects of large-scale anthropogenic development on juvenile lemon shark (Negaprion brevirostris) populations of Bimini, Bahamas. Environmental Biology of Fishes 83:369–377. , , , , and .
- 2007. Does habitat fragmentation reduce fitness and adaptability? A case study of the common frog (Rana temporaria). Molecular Ecology 16:2693–2700. , , and .
- 2005. HP-RARE 1.0: a computer program for performing rarefaction on measures of allelic richness. Molecular Ecology Notes 5:187–189.
- 2007. Revising how the computer program CERVUS accommodates genotyping error increases success in paternity assignment. Molecular Ecology 16:1099–1106. , , and .
- 2001. The strength of phenotypic selection in natural populations. The American Naturalist 157:245–261. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Eco-evolutionary conservation biology: contemporary evolution and the dynamics of persistence. Functional Ecology 21:444–454. , and .
- 2007. Eco-evolutionary vs. habitat contributions to invasion in salmon: experimental evaluation in the wild. Molecular Ecology 17:405–414. , , and .
- 2003. Good genes and the maternal effects of polyandry on offspring reproductive success in the bulb mite. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B 271:165–170. , , and .
- 2004. Estimating genetic parameters in natural populations using the “animal model”. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London B 359:873–890.
- 2004. Genetic effects of a persistent bottleneck on a natural population of ornate box turtles (Terrapene ornata). Conservation Genetics 5:425–437. , and .
- 1983. The measurement of selection on correlated characters. Evolution 37:1210–1226. , and .
- 2006. How general are positive relationships between plant population size, fitness and genetic variation. Journal of Ecology 94:942–952. , , , and .
- 2006. High genetic diversity and no inbreeding in the endangered copper redhorse, Moxostoma hubbsi (Catostomidae, Pisces): the positive sides of a long generation time. Molecular Ecology 15:1769–1780. , , and .
- 2008. Migration load in plants: role of pollen and seed dispersal in heterogeneous landscapes. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 21:294–309. , , , , and .
- 2005. Genetic resource impacts of habitat loss and degradation: reconciling empirical evidence and predicted theory for neotropical trees. Heredity 95:255–273. , , , , and .
- 1998. Genetics and Analysis of Quantitative Traits. Sinauer, Sunderland. , and .
- 1995. Mutation accumulation and the extinction of small populations. The American Naturalist 146:489–518. , , and .
- 1991. Effect of M-type dart tags on field growth of juvenile lemon sharks. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 120:776–780. , and .
- 1998. Statistical confidence for likelihood based paternity inference in natural populations. Molecular Ecology 7:639–655. , , , and .
- 2008. Evolutionary consequences of habitat loss for Pacific anadromous salmonids. Evolutionary Applications 1:300–318. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Evolutionary consequences of cryptic genetic variation. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 24:305–311. , and .
- 1997. Quantitative trait and allozyme divergence in the Greenfinch (Carduelis chloris, Aves: Fringillidae). Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 61:243–266.
- 1999. Genetic architecture of fitness and non-fitness traits — empirical patterns and development of ideas. Heredity 83:103–109. , and .
- 2001. Avian quantitative genetics. Current Ornithology 9:179–255. , and .
- 1987. Regression analysis of natural selection: statistical inference and biological interpretation. Evolution 41:1149–1161. , and .
- 1993. Habitat selection by juvenile lemon sharks, Negaprion brevirostris. Environmental Biology of Fishes 38:311–319. , and .
- 2008. Population extinction and the genetics of adaptation. The American Naturalist 172:160–169. , and .
- 1994. Male philopatry confers a mating advantage in the migratory collared flycatcher, Ficedula albicollis. Animal Behavior 48:401–409.
- 2007. The evolutionary demography of ecological change: linking trait variation and population growth. Science 315:1571–1574. , , , , and .
- 1990. Shark reproductive strategies as a limiting factor in directed fisheries, with a review of Holden’s method of estimating growth- parameters. In H. L.Pratt, S. H.Gruber, and Y.Taniuchi, eds. Elasmobranchs as Living Resources. NOAA Technical Report 90. Washington, US. , and .
- 2003. The role of phenotypic plasticity in driving genetic evolution. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B 270:1433–1440. , , and .
- 2007. Maternal effects and evolution at ecological time-scales. Functional Ecology 21:408–421. , and .
- 1995. GENEPOP (Version 1.2): population genetics software for exact tests and ecumenicism. Journal of Heredity 86:248–249. , and .
- 2001. The population ecology of contemporary adaptations: what empirical studies reveal about the conditions that promote adaptive evolution. Genetica 112-113:183–198. , and .
- 2004. MARK—Genetic Marker Analysis Program. University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada.
- 1996. Seasonal abundance, growth, and foraging habits of juvenile smooth dogfish, Mustelus canis, in a New Jersey estuary. US Fisheries Bulletin 94:533–534. , and .
- 1988. Estimating the form of natural selection on a quantitative trait. Evolution 42:849–861.
- 2000. http://www.zoology.ubc.ca/~schluter/splines.html .
- 2008. Global phylogeography and seascape genetics of the lemon shark (genus Negaprion). Molecular Ecology 17:5336–5348. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Conservation: losing biodiversity by reverse speciation. Current Biology 16:R334–R337.
- 2003. Contemporary evolution meets conservation biology. Trends in ecology and evolution 18:94–102. , , and .
- 1996. Numerous transposed sequences of mitochondrial cytochrome oxidase I-II in aphids of the genus Sitobion (Hemiptera: Aphididae). Molecular Biology and Evolution 13:510–524. , and .
- 1999. Habitat persistence, habitat availability and the evolution of dispersal. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B 266:723–728. , and .
- 2004. Sibship reconstruction from genetic data with typing errors. Genetics 166:1963–1979.
- 2005. Genetic estimates of contemporary effective population size: to what time periods do the estimates apply? Molecular Ecology 14:3335–3352.
- 1999. Program MARK: survival estimation form populations of marked animals. Bird Study 46:120–138. , and .
- 2005. Effects of habitat loss and fragmentation on population dynamics. Conservation Biology 19:108–121. , , and .
- 2007. The ecology of elasmobranchs occurring in the everglades national park, Florida: implications for conservation and management. Bulletin of Marine Science 80:171–189. , and .
- 1996. The population genetic consequences of habitat fragmentation for plants. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 11:413–418. , , and .