Habitat-mediated size selection in endangered Atlantic salmon fry: selectional restoration assessment
Article first published online: 6 APR 2010
© 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 3, Issue 4, pages 352–362, July 2010
How to Cite
Bailey, M. M. and Kinnison, M. T. (2010), Habitat-mediated size selection in endangered Atlantic salmon fry: selectional restoration assessment. Evolutionary Applications, 3: 352–362. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2010.00126.x
- Issue published online: 18 JUN 2010
- Article first published online: 6 APR 2010
- Received: 19 February 2010 Accepted: 19 February 2010 First published online: 6 April 2010
- 1995. Stream Ecology: Structure and Function of Running Waters. Chapman & Hall, New York.
- 2003. Restocking of salmonids – opportunities and limitations. Fisheries Research 62:211–227. , , , , and .
- 2007. Genetic effects of captive breeding cause a rapid, cumulative fitness decline in the wild. Science 318:100–103. , , and .
- 2003. Evolutionarily enlightened management. Biological Conservation 111:115–123. , , , , and .
- 2004. Influence of individual body size and variable thresholds on the incidence of a sneaker male reproductive tactic in Atlantic salmon. Evolution 58:136–144. , and .
- 2005. Balancing selection on size: effects on the incidence of an alternative reproductive tactic. Evolutionary Ecology Research 7:1171–1182. , , , and .
- 2008. An integrated comparison of captive-bred and wild Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar): implications for supportive breeding programs. Biological Conservation 141:1989–1999. , , , and .
- 1992. Analysis of otolith microstructure data. In D. K.Stevenson, and S. E.Campana, eds. Otolith Microstructure Examination and Analysis, Can. Spec. Publ. Fish. Aquat. Sci. No. 117, pp. 73.100. , and .
- 2004. Natural selection acting on body size, growth rate and compensatory growth: an empirical test in a wild trout population. Evolutionary Ecology Research 6:955–973. , , and .
- 2009. Does variation in selection imposed by bears drive divergence among populations in the size and shape of sockeye salmon? Evolution 63:1244–1261. , , and .
- 1980. Survival and growth of salmon, Salmo salar (L.), planted in a Scottish stream. Journal of Fish Biology 16:565–584. , and .
- 2000. Selection against late emergence and small offspring in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). Evolution 54:628–639. , and .
- 1990. Mechanisms responsible for population regulation in young migratory brown trout, Salmo trutta. II. Fish growth and size variation. Journal of Animal Ecology 59:803–818.
- 2003. The effect of wood and temperature on juvenile coho salmon winter movement, growth, density and survival in side-channels. River Research and Applications 19:219–231. , and .
- 1995. When does natural selection prevent extinction? Evolution 49:201–207. , and .
- 2001. Annual variation in size-selective mortality of Atlantic salmon fry. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 58:1187–1195. , , , and .
- 1990. Territory size and distribution of newly emerged Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). Hydrobiologia 206:125–131. , and .
- 2003. Rapid evolution of egg size in captive salmon. Science 299:1738–1740. , , , , and .
- 1988. Downstream migration and critical water velocities in stream channels for fry of four salmonid species. Journal of Fish Biology 32:717–727. , and .
- 2003. Predation on stocked Atlantic salmon fry. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 60:32–42. , and .
- 2003. Estimating natural selection acting on stream-dwelling Atlantic salmon: implications for the restoration of extirpated populations. Conservation Biology 17:795–805. , , and .
- 1999. The functional relationship between peak spring floods and survival and growth of juvenile Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) and brown trout (Salmo trutta). Functional Ecology 13:778–785. , and .
- 1999. Territorial competition among wild brown trout fry: effects of ownership and body size. Journal of Fish Biology 54:469–472. , , and .
- 2005. Assessment of winter size-selective mortality of young-of-the-year Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) using otolith microstructure analysis. Ecology of Freshwater Fish 14:168–176. , , and .
- 2001. The strength of phenotypic selection in natural populations. American Naturalist 157:245–261. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Eco-evolutionary conservation biology: contemporary evolution and the dynamics of persistence. Functional Ecology 21:444–454. , and .
- 2007. Contemporary evolution meets conservation biology II: impediments to integration and application. Ecological Research 22:947–954. , , and .
- 1998. Growth and salinity tolerance of juvenile chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawwytscha) from two introduced New Zealand populations. Canadian Journal of Zoology 76:2219–2226. , , and .
- 2001. Effects of developmental stage at stocking on growth and survival of Atlantic salmon fry. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 21:102–110. , and .
- 1992. Age and size-selective predation on larval fishes: the bigger-is-better hypothesis revisited. Marine Ecology. Progress Series 81:13–24. , and .
- 1998. Otolith and fish size relationships, measurement error, and size selective mortality during the early life of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 55:1666–1673. , , , and .
- 1989. Early social status and the development of life-history strategies in Atlantic salmon. Proceedings of the Royal Society (London) Series B 236:7–19. , , , and .
- 1995. Metabolic rate, social status and life-history strategies in Atlantic salmon. Animal Behaviour 49:431–436. , , and .
- 1988. Larval size and recruitment mechanisms in fishes: toward a conceptual framework. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 45:1657–1670. , , , and .
- National Marine Fisheries Service and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. 2005. Recovery Plan for the Gulf of Maine Distinct Population Segment of Atlantic Salmon (Salmo salar). National Marine Fisheries Service, Silver Spring, MD.
- NRC (National Research Council). 2004. Atlantic Salmon in Maine. A report of the National Research Council of The National Academies. 240 pp.
- 2004. Variation in freshwater growth and development among five New England Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) populations reared in a common environment. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 61:2314–2328. , and .
- 1981. A preliminary investigation into the vulnerability of young trout (Salmo trutta L.) and Atlantic salmon (S. salar L.) to downstream displacement by high water velocities. J. Fish Biol. 19:135–145. , and .
- 1983. Methods for Evaluating Stream, Riparian, and Biotic Conditions. General Technical Report INT-138. U.S. Department of Agriculture, U.S. Forest Service, Ogden, Utah. , , and .
- 1999. Size-selective and sex-selective predation by brown bears on sockeye salmon. Oecologia 121:273–282. , and .
- 1999. Genetic changes from artificial propagation of Pacific salmon affect the productivity and viability of supplemented populations. ICES Journal of Marine Science 56:459–466. , and .
- 1997. The contribution of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) enhancement to a sustainable resource. ICES Journal of Marine Science 54:1177–1187.
- 2002. Response of a brook trout population and instream habitat to a catastrophic flood and debris flow. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 131:718–730. , , and .
- 2001. Density, and size of juvenile salmonids in response to placement of large woody debris in western Oregon, and Washington streams. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 58:282–292. , and .
- 1991. Role of fat stores in the maturation of male Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) parr. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 48:405–413. , , and .
- 1991. Stream fish ecology: a landscape perspective. BioScience 41:704–712.
- 1991. Conflicting selection pressures and life-history trade-offs. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series B 246:11–17. , , and .
- 2005. Marine growth and morphometrics for three populations of Atlantic salmon from eastern Maine, USA. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 134:775–788. , , , , , and .
- 1997. Size-selective mortality in the juvenile stage of teleost fishes: a review. Bulletin of Marine Sciences 60:1129–1157.
- 2001. Fine-scale population structure in Atlantic salmon from Maine’s Penobscot river drainage. Conservation Genetics, 2:11–24. , , , and .
- 2003. Contemporary evolution meets conservation biology. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 18:94–101. , , and .
- 2006. Evolutionary restoration ecology. In D. A.Falk, M. A.Palmer, and J. B.Zedler, eds. Foundations of Restoration Ecology, pp 113–138. Island Press, Washington. , , and .
- 1983. The potential Atlantic salmon population of the Connecticut River and important management concerns. Atlantic Salmon Federation Special Publication Series 12:55–62.
- 2004. The alluring simplicity and complex reality of genetic rescue. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 16:330–342. , , and .
- 1998. Modeling the proximate basis of salmonid life-history variation, with application to Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar L. Evolutionary Ecology 12:581–599. , , , and .
- 2000. Divergence in juvenile growth and life history in two recently colonized and partially isolated chinook salmon populations. Journal of Fish Biology, 57:943–960. , , , and .
- US Atlantic Salmon Assessment Committee. 2008. Annual report 2007. Report No. 20.
- 2003. Interactions between hatchery and wild salmonids in streams: differences in biology and evidence for competition. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 60:1018–1036. , and .
- 1987. Evidence for size-selective mortality of juvenile sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka) in Babine Lake, British Columbia. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 44:712–721. , and .
- 1998. Interactions between wild and introduced Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 55(Suppl. 1):153–160. , and .