Rapid selection against inbreeding in a wild population of a rare frog
Article first published online: 10 MAY 2010
© 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 4, Issue 1, pages 30–38, January 2011
How to Cite
Ficetola, G. F., Garner, T. W. J., Wang, J. and De Bernardi, F. (2011), Rapid selection against inbreeding in a wild population of a rare frog. Evolutionary Applications, 4: 30–38. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2010.00130.x
- Issue published online: 10 MAY 2010
- Article first published online: 10 MAY 2010
- Received: 13 April 2010 Accepted: 14 April 2010 First published online: 10 May 2010
- 2006. Contrasting effects of heterozigosity on survival and hookworm resistence in California sea lion pups. Molecular Ecology 15:1973–1982. , , , , , , and .
- 2009. A new test for genotype-fitness associations reveals a single microsatellite allele that strongly predicts the nature of tuberculosis infections in wild boar. Molecular Ecology Resources 9:1102–1111. , and .
- 2004. Habitat fragmentation causes bottlenecks and inbreeding in the European tree frog (Hyla arborea). Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 271:1293–1302. , , and .
- 2008. Rana latastei. In S. N.Stuart, M.Hoffman, J. S.Chanson, N. A.Cox, R. J.Berridge, P.Ramani, and B. E.Young, eds. Threatened Amphibians of the World, 506 pp. Lynx Editions, IUCN and Conservation International, Barcelona. , , , , and .
- 2004. Does heterozygosity estimate inbreeding in real populations? Molecular Ecology 13:3021–3031. , , and .
- 2006. Rana latastei Boulenger, 1879. In R.Sindaco, G.Doria, E.Razzetti, and F.Bernini, eds. Atlas of Italian Amphibians and Reptiles, pp. 362–367. Polistampa, Firenze. , and .
- 2000. Fdist2 – a program to detect loci that might be under selection in samples from structured populations. http://www.rubic.rdg.ac.uk/~mab/software.html. (Accessed April 2010)
- 2005. Adaptation and speciation: what can FST tell us? Trends in Ecology & Evolution 20:435–440.
- 1996. Evaluating loci for use in the genetic analysis of population structure. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 263:1619–1626. , and .
- 2004. GENETIX, Logiciel Sous WindowsTM Pour la Génétique des Populations. Université de Montpellier II, Monpellier.
- 2006. Selection for heterozygosity gives hope to a wild population of inbred wolves. PLoS ONE 1:e72. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Environmental dependence of inbreeding depression and purging in Drosophila melanogaster. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 12:1125–1137. , , and .
- 2005. A simulation study on detecting purging of inbreeding depression in captive populations. Genetical Research 86:139–148. , and .
- 2009. A quantitative review of heterozygosity-fitness correlations in animal populations. Molecular Ecology 18:2746–2765. , , , , and .
- 1970. Genetic loads and the cost of natural selection. In K. J.Kojima, ed. Mathematical Topics in Population Genetics, pp. 128–177. Springer, Berlin.
- 2007. Between a rock and a hard place: evaluating the relative risks of inbreeding and outbreeding for conservation and management. Molecular Ecology 16:463–475.
- 2004. Amphibians in an human-dominated landscape: the community structure is related to habitat features and isolation. Biological Conservation 119:219–230. , and .
- 2005. Supplementation or in situ conservation? Evidence of local adaptation in the Italian agile frog Rana latastei and consequences for the management of populations. Animal Conservation 8:33–40. , and .
- 2009. Offspring size and survival in the frog Rana latastei: from among-population to within-clutch variation. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 97:845–853. , and .
- 2007. Genetic diversity, but not hatching success, is jointly affected by post glacial colonization and isolation in the threatened frog, Rana latastei. Molecular Ecology 16:1787–1797. , , and .
- 2010. Polygyny, census and effective population size in the threatened frog, Rana latastei. Animal Conservation doi:10.1111/j.1469-1795.2009.00306.x. , , , and .
- 2005. Stress and adaptation in conservation genetics. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 18:750–755.
- 2001. Microsatellites for use in studies of the Italian Agile Frog, Rana latastei (Boulenger). Conservation Genetics 2:77–80. , and .
- 2004. Genetic diversity across a vertebrate species’ range: a test of the central-peripheral hypothesis. Molecular Ecology 13:1047–1053. , , and .
- 2009a. Combining genetic and ecological data to assess the conservation status of the endangered Ethiopian Walia ibex. Animal Conservation 12:89–100. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009b. Frontiers in identifying conservation units: from neutral markers to adaptive genetic variation. Animal Conservation 12:107–109. , , , , , , et al.
- 1986. Minimum viable populations: processes of extinction. In M. E.Soulé, ed. Conservation Biology: The Science of Scarcity and Diversity, pp. 19–34. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA. , and .
- 2003. How are deleterious mutations purged? Drift versus nonrandom mating. Evolution 27:2678–2687.
- 1960. A simplified table for staging Anuran embryos and larvae with notes on identification. Herpetologica 16:183–190.
- 2006. Inbreeding linked to amphibian survival in the wild but not in the laboratory. Journal of Heredity 97:499–507. , , and .
- 2004. Does linkage disequilibrium generate heterozigosity-fitness correlations in great reed warblers? Evolution 58:870–879. , , , , and .
- 2001. Conservation genetics: where are we now? Trends in Ecology & Evolution 16:629–636.
- 1997. Genetic substructuring as a result of barriers to gene flow in urban Rana temporaria (common frog) populations: implications for biodiversity conservation. Heredity 79:117–127. , and .
- 2006. Inbreeding and endangered species management: is New Zealand out of step with the rest of the world? Conservation Biology 20:38–47. , , and .
- 2003. Captivity masks inbreeding effects on male mating success in butterflies. Nature 424:191–194. , and .
- 2002. Inbreeding effects in wild populations. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 17:230–241. , and .
- 2008. Introduction. Evolutionary dynamics of wild populations: the use of long-term pedigree data. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 275:593–596. , and .
- 2008. Conservation genetics as applied evolution: from genetic pattern to evolutionary process. Evolutionary Applications 1:84–94.
- 2008. Role of inbreeding depression and purging in captive breeding and restoration programmes. Molecular Ecology 17:334–343. , and .
- 2005. Asynchronous arrival pattern, operational sex ratio and occurrence of multiple paternities in a territorial breeding anuran, Rana dalmatina. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 86:191–200. , , and .
- 1995. Mutation accumulation and the extinction of small populations. The American Naturalist 146:489–518. , , and .
- 2008. Hitchhiking mapping reveals a candidate genomic region for natural selection in three-spined stickleback chromosome VIII. Genetics 178:453–465. , , , and .
- 2007. Phenotype matching and inbreeding avoidance in African elephants. Molecular Ecology 16:4421–4423.
- 2006. Evidence of microsatellite hitch-hiking selection in Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua L.): implications for inferring population structure in nonmodel organisms. Molecular Ecology 15:3219–3229. , , and .
- 1982. Linkage disequilibrium due to random genetic drift in finite subdivided populations. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 79:1940–1944.
- 2005. Susceptibility of Italian Agile Frog populations to an emerging Ranavirus parallels population genetic diversity. Ecology Letters 8:401–408. , and .
- 1999. Using microsatellites to measure the fitness consequences of inbreeding and outbreeding. In D. B.Goldstein, and C.Schlötterer, eds. Microsatellites: Evolution and Applications, pp. 151–164. Oxford University Press, Oxford. , , , and .
- 2002. A low rate of cross-species microsatellite amplification success in Ranid frogs. Conservation Genetics 3:445–449. , and .
- 1995. genepop version 1.2: population genetics software for exact tests and ecumenicism. Journal of Heredity 86:248–249. , and .
- 2009. Effects of slope and riparian habitat connectivity on gene flow in an endangered Panamanian frog, Atelopus varius. Diversity and Distributions 15:796–806.
- 2003. Population on the verge of a mutational meldtown? Fitness cost of genetic load for an amphibian in the wild. Evolution 57:177–181. , and .
- 2006. Natural selection and population dynamics. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 21:341–347. , and .
- 1998. Inbreeding and extinction in a butterfly metapopulation. Nature 392:491–494. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Detecting amphibian population cycles: the importance of appropriate statistical analyses. Biological Conservation 142:455–461.
- 2007. Selection on MHC-linked microsatellite loci in sheep populations. Heredity 99:340–348. , , , and .
- 2004. On the neutrality of melecular genetic markers:pedigree analysis of genetic variation in fragmented populations. Molecular Ecology 13:1025–1034. , , and .
- 2004. Post-mating clutch piracy in an amphibian. Nature 431:305–308. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Complex life cycles and density dependance: assessing the contribution of egg mortality to amphibian declines. Oecologia 133:325–333. , and .
- 2000. Effects of population structures and selection strategies on the purging of inbreeding depression due to deleterious mutations. Genetical Research 76:75–86.
- 1999. Dynamic of inbreeding depression due to deleterious mutations in small populations: mutation parameters and inbreeding rate. Genetical Research 74:165–178. , , , and .
- 1969. Evolution and the Genetic of Populations. Vol. 2: The Theory of Gene Frequencies. University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- 2008. Inbreeding, inbreeding depression and extinction. Conservation Genetics 9:833–843. , , and .
- 2006. Experimental habitat fragmentation increases linkage disequilibrium but does not affect genetic diversity or population structure in the Amazonian liverworth Radula flaccida. Molecular Ecology 15:2305–2315. , , and .