Temporally stable population-specific differences in run timing of one-sea-winter Atlantic salmon returning to a large river system
Version of Record online: 10 MAY 2010
© 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 4, Issue 1, pages 39–53, January 2011
How to Cite
Vähä, J.-P., Erkinaro, J., Niemelä, E., Primmer, C. R., Saloniemi, I., Johansen, M., Svenning, M. and Brørs, S. (2011), Temporally stable population-specific differences in run timing of one-sea-winter Atlantic salmon returning to a large river system. Evolutionary Applications, 4: 39–53. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2010.00131.x
- Issue online: 10 MAY 2010
- Version of Record online: 10 MAY 2010
- Accepted: 12 April 2010 First published online: 10 May 2010
- 2009. Oceanic, riverine, and genetic influences on spring Chinook salmon migration timing. Ecological Applications 19:1989–2003. , and .
- 2008. An improved method for predicting the accuracy of genetic stock identification. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 65:1475–1486. , , and .
- 2008. A reassessment of the interface between conservation and behavior. Animal Behaviour 75:731–737. , , , and .
- 2004. Analytical Bayesian approach for assigning individuals to populations. Journal of Heredity 95:217–224. , , and .
- 2005. Estimation of stock composition and individual identification of sockeye salmon on a Pacific Rim basis using microsatellite and major histocompatibility complex variation. Transactions of the North American Fisheries Society 134:1124–1146. , , and .
- 1999. Stock identification and its role in stock assessment and fisheries management: an overview. Fisheries Research 43:1–8. , , and .
- 2007. Behavior and conservation: a bridge too far? Trends in Ecology and Evolution 22:394–400.
- 2002. Sustaining fisheries yields over evolutionary time scales. Science 297:94–96. , and .
- 1999. New methods employing multilocus genotypes to select or exclude populations as origins of individuals. Genetics 153:1989–2000. , , , , and .
- 2004. Managing Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) in the mixed stock environment: challenges and considerations. ICES Journal of Marine Science 61:1344–1358. , , and .
- 2000. Patterns of territory settlement and consequences for breeding success in the Northern Wheatear (Oenanthe oenanthe). Ibis 142:389–398. , , and .
- 1996. Migration: The Biology of Life on the Move. Oxford University Press, New York.
- 2007. What is migration? BioScience 57:113–121. , and .
- 1997. Conservation, behavior, and 99% of the world’s biodiversity: is our ignorance really bliss? In J. R.Clemmons, and R.Buchholz, eds. Behavioral Approaches to Conservation in the Wild, pp. 72–92. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. , , , and .
- 1996. Homing in Pacific salmon: mechanisms and ecological basis. Journal of Experimental Biology 199:83–91. , and .
- 2003. An inexpensive and high-throughput procedure to extract and purify total genomic DNA for population studies. Molecular Ecology Notes 3:317–320. , , , and .
- 1999. Variations in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) smolt age in tributaries of the River Teno, Finland. Fisheries Management and Ecology 6:83–86. , , , and .
- 1999. Return migration of Atlantic salmon in the River Tana - distribution and exploitation of radio-tagged multi-sea-winter salmon. Boreal Environment Research 4:115–124. , , , and .
- 2004. Adaptive changes in harvested populations: plasticity and evolution of age and size at maturation. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B: Biological Sciences 271:415–423. , , and .
- 2003. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data: linked loci and correlated allele frequencies. Genetics 164:1567–1587. , , and .
- 2005. Identifying fish farm escapees. In S. X.Cadrin, K. D.Friedland, and J. R.Waldman, eds. Stock Identification Methods; Applications in Fishery Science, pp. 659–680. Elsevier Academic Press, Amsterdam. , , and .
- 1996. Reproductive strategies of Atlantic salmon: ecology and evolution. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries 6:379–416.
- 2007. A critical review of adaptive genetic variation in Atlantic salmon: implications for conservation. Biological Reviews of the Cambridge Philosophical Society 82:173–211. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. The buffer effect and large-scale population regulation in migratory birds. Nature 412:436–438. , , , , , and .
- 2001. FSTAT, a program to estimate and test gene diversities and fixation indices (version 2.9.3). Updated from Goudet (1995). http://www2.unil.ch/popgen/softwares/fstat.htm (accessed April 2010).
- 2002. The major histocompatibility class I locus in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.): polymorphism, linkage analysis and protein modelling. Immunogenetics 54:570–581. , , , , and .
- 1991. Evidence of a genetic component in the seasonal return pattern of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.). Journal of Fish Biology 38:251–258. , and
- 2008. Evolutionary consequences of fishing and their implications for salmon. Evolutionary Applications 1:388–408. , , and .
- 2006. An empirical verification of population assignment methods by marking and parentage data: hatchery and wild steelhead (Oncorhynchus mykiss) in Forks Creek, Washington, USA. Molecular Ecology 15:3157–3173. , , , , and .
- 2007. Gytebestandsmål for laksebestander i Norge (In Norwegian with an English abstract). NINA Rapport 226, 78 pp. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. The nature of fisheries- and farming induced evolution. Molecular Ecology 17:294–313. , and .
- ICES. 2002. Report of the Working Group on North Atlantic Salmon. ICES CM 2002/ACFM: 14. http://www.ices.dk/CMdocs/2002/ACFM/Acfm1402.pdf.
- 1990. Partial segregation in the timing of migration of Atlantic salmon of different ages. Animal Behavior 40:313–321. , , and .
- 2003. Differences in sea migration between wild and reared Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) in the Baltic Sea. Fisheries Research 60:333–343. , , , , and .
- 2004. Return migration of Atlantic salmon in the River Tana: distribution, exploitation and migration pattern of radio-tagged 1SW salmon. Journal of Fish Biology 64:1179–1192. , , , , and .
- 2004. Stock-specific migration timing of adult spring-summer chinook salmon in the Columbia River basin. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 24:1145–1162. , , , , and .
- 2000. Limits to exhaustive exercise in fish. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology Part A, Molecular and Integrative Physiology 126:161–179.
- 2006. Why do female migratory birds arrive later than males? Journal of Animal Ecology 75:1293–1303. , , , and .
- 2005. Classical individual assignments versus mixture modeling to estimate stock proportions in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) catches from DNA microsatellite data. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 62:2143–2158. , , and .
- 2010. Lohenkalastus Tenojoen sivuvesissä (In Finnish with an English abstract). Finnish Game and Fisheries Research Institute Report 2, 26 pp. http://www.rktl.fi/www/uploads/pdf/uudet%20julkaisut/selvityksia_2_2010.pdf. , and .
- 2002. Detecting wildlife poaching: identifying the origin of individuals with Bayesian assignment tests and multilocus genotypes. Conservation Biology 16:650–659. , , and .
- 1989. Generalized Linear Models. Chapman & Hall, London. , and .
- 2005. CBayes: computer program for mixed stock analysis of allelic data, version 3.0. http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/science/facilities-installations/pbs-sbp/mgl-lgm/index-eng.htm (accessed April 2010). , , , and .
- 2004. Variation in the yearly and seasonal abundance of juvenile Atlantic salmon in a long-term monitoring programme: methodology, status of stocks and reference points. PhD thesis, Acta Universitatis Ouluensis A415.
- 2006. Previously spawned Atlantic salmon ascend a large subarctic river earlier than their maiden counterparts. Journal of Fish Biology 69:1151–1163. , , and .
- 1924. Times of entering of the Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) in the rivers. Rapports et Proce`s-Verbaux. Conseil Permanent International pour L’Exploration de la Me`r 33:5–58.
- 1978. Migratory strategies and production in freshwater fishes. In S. D.Gerking, ed. Ecology of Freshwater Fish Production, pp. 326–359. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford.
- 2001. Return migration of Atlantic salmon in the River Tana: phases of migratory behaviour. Journal of Fish Biology 59:862–874. , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Snorkeling as a method for assessing spawning stock of Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar. Fisheries Management and Ecology 14:199–208. , and .
- 2001. Bayesian methods for analysis of stock mixtures from genetic characters. Fishery Bulletin 99:151–167. , and .
- 1998. On the risk of extinction. American Naturalist 132:757–785. , , and .
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155:945–959. , , and .
- 2007. Directional selection by fisheries and the timing of sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka) migrations. Ecological Applications 17:731–739. , , , , and .
- 1997. Detecting immigration by using multilocus genotypes. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 94:9197–9201. , and .
- 1986. Effects of different mesh sizes on gill-net catches of Atlantic salmon in Newfoundland. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 6:209–215.
- 1990. The Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) of the North Esk with particular reference to the relationship between river and sea age and time of return to home waters. Fisheries Research 10:93–123.
- 1992. The Atlantic Salmon: Natural History, Exploitation and Future Management. Halsted Press, New York.
- 1999. A neglected science: applying behavior to aquatic conservation. Environmental Biology of Fishes 55:183–201.
- 2009. Run timing and migration routes of returning Atlantic salmon in the Northern Baltic Sea; implications for fisheries management. Fisheries Management and Ecology 16:177–190. , , , and .
- 2002. Unique haplotypes of co-segregating major histocompatibility class II A and class II B alleles in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) give rise to diverse class II genotypes. Immunogenetics 54:320–331. , , , , , , and .
- 2002. Tributary-specific variation in timing of return of adult Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) to fresh water has a genetic component. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 59:276–281. , , and .
- 2007. Evolutionary response to size-selective mortality in an exploited fish population. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B: Biological Sciences 274:1015–1022. , , and .
- 1991. A review of local adaptation in salmonidae, with particular reference to Pacific and Atlantic salmon. Aquaculture 98:185–207.
- 2007. Seasonal variation in rod recapture rates indicates differential exploitation of Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar, stock components. Fisheries Management and Ecology 14:191–198. , , and .
- 2003. Effective size in management and conservation of subdivided populations. Journal of Theoretical Biology 222:273–281. , and .
- 2007. Life-history and habitat features influence the within-river genetic structure of Atlantic salmon. Molecular Ecology 16:2638–2654. , , , and .
- 2008. Temporally stable genetic structure and low migration in an Atlantic salmon population complex: implications for conservation and management. Evolutionary Applications 1:137–154. , , , and .
- 2002. Links between worlds: unraveling migratory connectivity. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 17:76–83. , , , , and .