Stratified dispersal and increasing genetic variation during the invasion of Central Europe by the western corn rootworm, Diabrotica virgifera virgifera
Version of Record online: 7 JUN 2010
© 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 4, Issue 1, pages 54–70, January 2011
How to Cite
Ciosi, M., Miller, N. J., Toepfer, S., Estoup, A. and Guillemaud, T. (2011), Stratified dispersal and increasing genetic variation during the invasion of Central Europe by the western corn rootworm, Diabrotica virgifera virgifera. Evolutionary Applications, 4: 54–70. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2010.00133.x
- Issue online: 6 DEC 2010
- Version of Record online: 7 JUN 2010
- Received: 24 September 2009 Accepted: 26 April 2010 First published online: 7 June 2010
- Anonymous. 2007. News related to IWGO matters. In U.Kuhlmann, ed. IWGO Newsletter, pp. 2. Harald K. Berger, Delémont, Switzerland.
- 2001. Simulations model for spreading scenarios of western corn rootworm (Diabrotica virgifera virgifera) in case of Germany. IWGO Newsletter 22:14–15. , and .
- 1995. Controlling the false discovery rate – a practical and powerful approach to multiple testing. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B-Methodological 57:289–300. , and .
- 2006. Contrasting effects of long distance seed dispersal on genetic diversity during range expansion. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 19:12–20. , , and .
- 2006. Sustainable management of the western corn rootworm, Diabrotica virgifera virgifera LeConte (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae), in infested areas: experiences in Italy, Hungary and the USA. EPPO Bulletin 36:531–537. , , , and .
- 2008. Invasion of Europe by the western corn rootworm, Diabrotica virgifera virgifera: multiple transatlantic introductions with various reductions of genetic diversity. Molecular Ecology 17:3614–3627. , , , , , and .
- 2009. European populations of Diabrotica virgifera virgifera are resistant to aldrin, but not to methyl parathion. Journal of Applied Entomology 133:307–314. , , , , , , et al.
- 1986. Study of migratory flight in the western corn rootworm (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae). Environmental Entomology 15:620–625. , , and .
- 2008. CREATE: a software to create input files from diploid genotypic data for 52 genetic software programs. Molecular Ecology Resources 8:578–580. , , and .
- 2003. Bayesian analysis of genetic differentiation between populations. Genetics 163:367–374. , , and .
- 2004. BAPS 2: enhanced possibilities for the analysis of genetic population structure. Bioinformatics 20:2363–2369. , , , and .
- 2008. Inferring population history with DIY ABC: a user-friendly approach to approximate Bayesian computation. Bioinformatics 24:2713–2719. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. An investigation into effects of long-distance seed dispersal on organelle population genetic structure and colonization rate: a model analysis. Heredity 93:566–576. , , and .
- 2006. Allee effects, propagule pressure and the probability of establishment: risk analysis for biological invasions. Biological Invasions 8:365–375. , and .
- 2004. Mutations arising in the wave front of an expanding population. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 101:975–979. , , and .
- 2007. New WCR 2006 General Spread Map for Europe. IWGO Newsletter 28:3. , and .
- 2007. Population size and relatedness affect fitness of a self-incompatible invasive plant. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 104:549–552. , , , and .
- 2004. Genetic analysis of complex demographic scenarios: spatially expanding populations of the cane toad, Bufo marinus. Evolution 58:2021–2036. , , , , and .
- 2005. Detecting the number of clusters of individuals using the software STRUCTURE: a simulation study. Molecular Ecology 14:2611–2620. , , and .
- 2008. Surfing during population expansions promotes genetic revolutions and structuration. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 23:347–351. , and .
- 2003. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data: linked loci and correlated allele frequencies. Genetics 164:1567–1587. , , and .
- 1937. The wave of advance of advantageous genes. Annals of Eugenics 7:355–369.
- 2000. A simple method of removing the effect of a bottleneck and unequal population sizes on pairwise genetic distances. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B-Biological Sciences 267:81–87. , and .
- 2005. High genetic diversity in French invasive populations of common ragweed, Ambrosia artemisiifolia, as a result of multiple sources of introduction. Molecular Ecology 14:4275–4285. , , and .
- 2001. FSTAT, a program to estimate and test gene diversities and fixation indices (version 2.9.3). Updated from Goudet (1995). Available at: http://www2.unil.ch/popgen/softwares/fstat.htm [Accessed May 2010].
- 1989. Local and long-range movement of adult western corn rootworm (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae) as evidenced by washup along southern Lake Michigan shores. Environmental Entomology 18:266–272. , and .
- 2009. Adaptation and invasiveness of western corn rootworm: intensifying research on a worsening pest. Annual Review of Entomology 54:303–321. , , , , and .
- 2005a. A spatial statistical model for landscape genetics. Genetics 170:1261–1280. , , , and .
- 2005b. GENELAND: a computer package for landscape genetics. Molecular Ecology Notes 5:712–715. , , and .
- 2008. Gene surfing in expanding populations. Theoretical Population Biology 73:158–170. , and .
- 2007. Genetic drift at expanding frontiers promotes gene segregation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 104:19926–19930. , , , and .
- 2009. Inferring weak population structure with the assistance of sample group information. Molecular Ecology Resources 9:1322–1332. , , , and .
- 1996. Spatial patterns of genetic variation generated by different forms of dispersal during range expansion. Heredity 77:282–291. , , and .
- 2004. Influence of atmospheric conditions on high-elevation flight of western corn rootworm (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae). Environmental Entomology 33:650–656. , , , and .
- 2006. Allee effects and pulsed invasion by the gypsy moth. Nature 444:361–363. , , , and .
- 2005a. Genetic structuring of western corn rootworm (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae) populations in the United States based on microsatellite loci analysis. Environmental Entomology 34:494–503. , and .
- 2005b. Polymorphic microsatellite loci from the western corn rootworm (Insecta: Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae) and cross-amplification with other Diabrotica spp. Molecular Ecology Notes 5:115–117. , and .
- 1997. Evolution of a species’ range. American Naturalist 150:1–23. , and .
- 2005. Monitoring of western corn rootworm (Diabrotica virgifera virgifera LeConte) in Europe 1992-2003. In: S.Vidal, U.Kuhlmann, and C. R.Edwards, eds. Western Corn Rootworm: Ecology and Management, pp. 29–39. CABI Publishing, Cambridge, MA, USA. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. The fate of mutations surfing on the wave of a range expansion. Molecular Biology and Evolution 23:482–490. , , and .
- 1998. Cumulative effects of founding events during colonisation on genetic diversity and differentiation in an island and stepping-stone model. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 11:495–512. , and .
- 1983. Implications and prognosis of resistance to insecticides. In G. P.Georghio, and T.Saito, eds. Pest Resistance to Pesticides, pp. 703–733. Plenum, New York, NY.
- 2005. Multiple transatlantic introductions of the western corn rootworm. Science 310:992. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Genome scan of Diabrotica virgifera virgifera for genetic variation associated with crop rotation tolerance. Journal of Applied Entomology 131:378–385. , , , , , and .
- 1988. Controlling the spread of plant invasions: the importance of nascent foci. Journal of Applied Ecology 25:1009–1021. , and .
- 1987. Molecular Evolutionary Genetics. Columbia University Press, New York.
- 2004. Ecological and evolutionary consequences of biotic homogenization. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 19:18–24. , , , , and .
- 1999. Modeling the spread of western corn rootworm (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae) populations adapting to soybean-corn rotation. Environmental Entomology 28:188–194. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Genetic assignment methods for the direct, real-time estimation of migration rate: a simulation-based exploration of accuracy and power. Molecular Ecology 13:55–65. , , , and .
- 2007. Introduction history of Drosophila subobscura in the New World: a microsatellite-based survey using ABC methods. Molecular Ecology 16:3069–3083. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Identifying populations for conservation on the basis of genetic markers. Conservation Biology 12:844–855. , , and .
- 2001. Economic and environmental threats of alien plant, animal, and microbe invasions. Agriculture Ecosystems & Environment 84:1–20. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. GENECLASS2: a software for genetic assignment and first-generation migrant detection. Journal of Heredity 95:536–539. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155:945–959. , , and .
- 2007. Documentation for Structure Software: Version 2.2. University of Chicago, Chicago, USA. Available at: http://pritch.bsd.uchicago.edu/structure.html [Accessed May 2010]. , , and .
- 2009. Documentation for Structure Software: Version 2.3. University of Chicago, Chicago, USA. Available at: http://pritch.bsd.uchicago.edu/structure.html [Accessed May 2010]. , , and .
- 2005. Geography predicts neutral genetic diversity of human populations. Current Biology 15:R159–R160. , , and .
- R Development CoreTeam 2008. R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
- 1997. Detecting immigration by using multilocus genotypes. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 94:9197–9201. , and .
- 1995a. An exact test for population differentiation. Evolution 49:1280–1283. , and .
- 1995b. Genepop (version. 1.2), a population genetics software for exact tests and ecumenicism. Journal of Heredity 86:248–249. , and .
- 2001. Monitoring of western corn rootworm (Diabrotica virgifera virgifera LeConte) in Hungary in 2001. IWGO Newsletter 22:27–28. , and .
- 2007. Paradox lost: genetic diversity and the success of aquatic invasions. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 22:454–464. , and .
- 2004. DISTRUCT: a program for the graphical display of population structure. Molecular Ecology Notes 4:137–138.
- 1997. Genetic differentiation and estimation of gene flow from F-statistics under isolation by distance. Genetics 145:1219–1228. .
- 2000. Global spread of microorganisms by ships – Ballast water discharged from vessels harbours a cocktail of potential pathogens. Nature 408:49–50. , , , , , , and .
- 2005, Species Invasions: Insights into Ecology, Evolution, and Biogeography. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA, USA. , , and .
- 1995. Modeling stratified diffusion in biological invasions. American Naturalist 146:229–251. , , and .
- 2004. Population level changes of western corn rootworm in SERBIA. IWGO Newsletter 25:10. , and .
- 2009. Population density of Diabrotica virgifera virgifera LeConte beetles in Serbian first year and continuous maize fields. Journal of Applied Entomology 133:430–437. , , , , and .
- 1993. Isolation by distance in equilibrium and non-equilibrium populations. Evolution 47:264–279.
- 1995. Biometry. The Principles and Practice of Statistics in Biological Research. W.H. Freeman and Company, New York. , and .
- 2005. Movement, dispersal and behaviour of western corn rootworm adults in rotated maize and soybean fields. In: S.Vidal, U.Kuhlmann, and C. R.Edwards, eds. Western Corn Rootworm: Ecology and Management, pp. 121–144. CABI Publishing, Cambridge, MA, USA. , , , and .
- 1996. Numerous transposed sequences of mitochondrial cytochrome oxidase I-II in aphids of the genus Sitobion (Hemiptera: Aphididae). Molecular Biology and Evolution 13:510–524. , and .
- 2005. Differential shuffling of native genetic diversity across introduced regions in a brown alga: aquaculture vs. maritime traffic effects. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 102:5432–5437. , , and .
- 1984. Estimating F-statistics for the analysis of population structure. Evolution 38:1358–1370. , and .
- 2007. Colonization patterns of the invasive Brazilian peppertree, Schinus terebinthifolius, in Florida. Heredity 98:284–293. , , , and .