Conservation prioritization in widespread species: the use of genetic and morphological data to assess population distinctiveness in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) from British Columbia, Canada
Article first published online: 7 JUN 2010
© 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 4, Issue 1, pages 100–115, January 2011
How to Cite
Taylor, E. B., Tamkee, P., Keeley, E. R. and Parkinson, E. A. (2011), Conservation prioritization in widespread species: the use of genetic and morphological data to assess population distinctiveness in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) from British Columbia, Canada. Evolutionary Applications, 4: 100–115. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2010.00136.x
- Issue published online: 6 DEC 2010
- Article first published online: 7 JUN 2010
- Received: 23 April 2010 Accepted: 25 April 2010 First published online: 7 June 2010
- 1997. Prioritizing Pacific salmon stocks for conservation. Conservation Biology 11:140–152. , , , , , , et al.
- 1994. Molecular Markers, Natural History, and Evolution, 1st edn. Sinauer Associates Ltd., Sunderland, MA.
- 2005. Phylogenetic units and currencies above and below the species level. In A.Purvis, J. L.Gittleman, and T.Brooks, eds. Phylogeny and Conservation, pp. 76–101. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.
- 1999. Population structure and stock identification of steelhead in southern British Columbia, Washington, and the Columbia River based on microsatellite DNA variation. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 128:1068–1084. , , and .
- 1992. Native Trout of Western North America. American Fisheries Society, Bethesda, MD.
- 2004. GENETIX 4.05.2, logiciel sous Windows TM pour la genetique des populations. Laboratoire Genome, Populations, Interactions, CNRS UMR 5000, Universite de Montpellier II, Montpellier, France. , , , , and .
- 1999. Preserving genes, species, or ecosystems? Healing the fractured foundations of conservation policy. Molecular Ecology 8:S5–S10.
- 2006. Global biodiversity conservation priorities. Science 213:58–61. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Using phenotypic variation to determine conservation value: application of a novel approach to Arctic charr. Ecology of Freshwater Fish 16:29–33. , and .
- 2004. The genetic architecture of parallel armor plate reduction in threespine sticklebacks. Public Library of Science Biology 5:e109. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pbio.0020109. , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Relative roles of genetic determination and plastic response during ontogeny for shell-shape traits subjected to diversifying selection. Evolution 63:1356–1363. , , and .
- COSEWIC. 2009. Guidelines for recognizing designatable units below the species level. Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada, c/o Canadian Wildlife Service, Environment Canada, Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0H3.
- 2000. Considering evolutionary processes in conservation biology. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 15:290–295. , , , and .
- 1997. Preserving the information content of species: genetic diversity, phylogeny, and conservation worth. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 28:243–268.
- 1996. High levels of genetic differentiation for allelic richness among populations of the argan tree [Argania spinosa (L.) Skeels] endemic to Morocco. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 92:832–839. , and .
- 2001. Adaptive evolutionary conservation: towards a unified concept for defining conservation units. Molecular Ecology 10:2741–2752. , and .
- 2007. A critical review of adaptive genetic variation in Atlantic salmon: implications for conservation. Biological Reviews 82:173–211. , , , , , , et al.
- 1993. A multivariate approach to assessing threat and for priority setting in threatened species conservation. Biological Conservation 64:57–66. , and .
- 2001. FSTAT version 22.214.171.124 Updated from Goudet, J. 1995. Journal of Heredity 86:485–486.
- 1999. Using character concordance to define taxonomic and conservation units. Conservation Biology 13:1004–1007. , and .
- 2001. PAST: Paleontological Statistics Software Package for Education and Data Analysis. Palaeontologia Electronica 4:9. http://palaeo-electronica.org/2001_1/past/issue1_01.htm . , , and .
- 2001. Using microsatellite and MHC variation to identify species, ESUs, and MUs in the endangered Sonoran topminnow. Molecular Ecology 10:1399–1412. , , and .
- 2005. Phenotypic plasticity and predator effects on morphology and physiology of crucian carp in nature and in the laboratory. Journal of Fish Biology 50:781–798. , , , and .
- 1997. Population diversity: its extent and extinction. Science 278:689–691. , , and .
- International Union for the Conservation of Nature. 2010. Guidelines for using the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species Categories and Criteria. Version 8.0. Available at http://www.iucn.org/knowledge/publications_doc/tools/
- 2005. Ecotypic differentiation of native rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) populations from British Columbia. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 62:1523–1539. , , and .
- 2007. The origins of ecotypic variation of rainbow trout: a test of environmental vs. genetically based differences in morphology. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 20:725–736. , , and .
- 2004. Adaptive evolution and explosive speciation: the cichlid fish model. Nature Reviews Genetics 5:288–298.
- 2008. Predictability of phenotypic differentiation across flow regimes in fishes. Integrative and Comparative Biology 48:750–768.
- 2009. Morphology, performance, fitness: functional insight into a post-Pleistocene radiation of mosquitofish. Biology Letters 5:488–491.
- 1985. Inheritance of meristic variation and the evolution of developmental stability in rainbow trout. Evolution 39:308–314. , , and .
- 2006. Contrasting patterns of body shape and neutral genetic divergence in marine and lake populations of threespine sticklebacks. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 19:1803–1812. , , , and .
- 2003. The genetic architecture of quantitative traits. Annual Review of Genetics 35:303–339.
- 2000. Phylogeography of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss and its implications for taxonomy, biogeography, and conservation. Molecular Ecology 9:2089–2108. , , and .
- 2003. Adaptation of rainbow fish to lake and stream habitats. Evolution 57:104–118. , , , and .
- 2001. Rainbow trout in a regulated river below Glen Canyon Dam, Arizona, following increased minimum flows and reduced discharge variability. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 21:216–222. , , , and .
- 1994. Principles of Conservation Biology. Sinauer Associates, Inc., Sunderland, MA. , and .
- 2009. Public preference for endemism over other conservation-related species attributes. Conservation Biology 23:1041–1046. , , and .
- 1994. Defining “Evolutionary Significant Units” for conservation. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 9:373–375.
- 2002. Strategies to protect biological diversity and the evolutionary processes that sustain it. Systematic Biology 51:238–254.
- 2008. Natural selection along an environmental gradient: a classic cline in mouse pigmentation. Evolution 62:1555–1570. , and .
- 2000. Biodiversity hotspots for conservation priorities. Nature 403:853–858. , , , , and .
- NatureServe Explorer. 2009. http://www.natureserve.org/explorer/
- 2000. Water velocity shapes juvenile salmonids. Evolutionary Ecology 14:721–730. , and .
- 2005. Conservation units for steelhead base on phylogenetic and adaptive distinctions among populations. Fisheries Management Report 119. British Columbia Ministry of Water, Land and Air Protection. Biodiversity Branch, Victoria, BC. , , , , and .
- 1998. Identifying populations for conservation based on genetic markers. Conservation Biology 12:844–855. , , and .
- 2008. Complex patterns of genetic and phenotypic divergence in an island bird and the consequences for delimiting conservation units. Molecular Ecology 17:2839–2853. , , , , , and .
- 1989. Efficiency in conservation evaluation: scoring versus iterative approaches. Biological Conservation 50:199–218. , and .
- 1995. GENEPOP Version 1.2: population genetics software for exact tests and ecumenism. Journal of Heredity 86:248–249. , and .
- 2006. Incorporating evolutionary measures into conservation prioritization. Conservation Biology 20:1670–1678. , and .
- 2009. National values for regional aquatic species at risk in Canada. Endangered Species Research 6:239–249.
- 1986. Species conservation and systematics: the dilemma of subspecies. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 1:9–10.
- 2009. Intraspecific taxonomy and ecology characterize morphological divergence among cutthroat trout (Oncorhynchus clarkii ssp. Richardson) populations. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 96:266–281. , and .
- 2010. The influence of Wisconsinan glaciation and contemporary stream hydrology on microsatellite DNA variation in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 67: in press. , , and .
- 1991. A review of local adaptation in Salmonidae, with particular reference to Pacific and Atlantic salmon. Aquaculture 98:185–207.
- 2004. An analysis of homogenization and differentiation in Canadian freshwater fish faunas with an emphasis on British Columbia. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 61:68–79.
- 1999. Mitochondrial DNA variation in bull trout (Salvelinus confluentus) from northwestern North America: implications for zoogeography and conservation. Molecular Ecology 8:1155–1170. , , and .
- 2007. Microsatellite DNA analysis of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) from western Alberta, Canada: native status and evolutionary distinctiveness of ‘‘Athabasca’’ rainbow trout. Conservation Genetics 8:1–15. , , , and .
- 2002. Status and opportunities for genomics research with rainbow trout. Comparative Physiology and Biochemistry Part B Biochemistry and Molecular Biology 133:609–646. , , , , , , et al.
- United States Department of Commerce. 2006. Endangered and threatened species: final listing determinations for 10 distinct population segments of west coast steelhead trout. US Department of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Federal Register 71:834–862. Available at http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/pdfs/fr/fr71-834.pdf
- 1981. Biological criteria for definition of species and distinct intraspecific populations of anadromous salmonids under the US Endangered Species Act of 1973. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 38:1626–1635.
- 1984. Estimating F-statistics for the analysis of population structure. Evolution 38:1358–1370. , and .
- 2008. The elemental conservation unit: communicating risk without dictating targets for protection. Conservation Biology 22:36–47. , and .