Present address: Bayer BioScience N.V. Technologiepark 38, B-9052 Gent, Belgium.
Local origin of two vegetative compatibility groups of Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. vasinfectum in Australia
Article first published online: 7 JUL 2010
© 2010 CSIRO
Special Issue: Evolution in Agro-Ecosystems
Volume 3, Issue 5-6, pages 505–524, September 2010
How to Cite
Wang, B., Brubaker, C. L., Summerell, B. A., Thrall, P. H. and Burdon, J. J. (2010), Local origin of two vegetative compatibility groups of Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. vasinfectum in Australia. Evolutionary Applications, 3: 505–524. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2010.00139.x
- Issue published online: 27 AUG 2010
- Article first published online: 7 JUL 2010
- Received: 12 May 2010 Accepted: 18 May 2010 First published online: 7 July 2010
- 1981. Why microbial predators and parasites do not eliminate their prey and host. Annual Review of Microbiology 35:113–133.
- 2004. Emerging infectious diseases of plants: pathogen pollution, climate change and agrotechnology drivers. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 19:535–544. , , , , and .
- 1994. Local and regional variation in populations of Fusarium oxysporum from agricultural field soils. Phytopathology 84:786–791. , and .
- 1996. Relationships among pathogenic and nonpathogenic isolates of Fusarium oxysporum based on the partial sequence of the intergenic spacer region of the ribosomal DNA. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 9:125–138. , and .
- 1981. Formae speciales and races of Fusarium oxysporum causing wilt diseases. In P. E.Nelson, T. A.Toussoun, and R. J.Cook, eds. Fusarium: Disease, Biology, and Taxonomy, pp. 391–399. The Pennsylvania State University Press, University Park, PA. , and .
- 1995. Evaluation of a wild lentil collection for resistance to vascular wilt. Genetic Resources & Crop Evolution 42:231–235. , , and .
- 2007. The effect of Gossypium C-genome chromosomes on resistance to fusarium wilt in allotetraploid cotton. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 115:477–488. , , and .
- 2000. DNA diagnostics for fusarium wilt of cotton. In Proceedings of the 10th Australian Cotton Conference, pp. 455–461. August 16–18, 2000. Brisbane, Australia. , , , , , and .
- 1987. Diseases and Plant Population Biology. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 2008. Pathogen evolution across the agro-ecological interface: implications for management. Evolutionary Applications 1:57–65. , and .
- 1983. Interactions between Avena and Puccinia species. I. The wild hosts: Avena barbata Pott ex Link, A. fatua L. and A. ludoviciana Durieu. Journal of Applied Ecology 20:571–585. , , and .
- 1994. Laboratory Manual for Fusarium Research, 3rd edn. University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia. , , , , and .
- 2003. Origin of race 3 of Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. lycopersici at a single site in California. Phytopathology 93:1014–1022. , , , , , , and .
- 1985. Identification of races of cotton wilt Fusarium in China. Agricultural Sciences in China 6:1–6. , , and .
- 1994. The Australian wild species of Gossypium. In G. A.Constable, and N. W.Forrester, eds. Challenging the Future: Proceedings of the World Cotton Research Conference I, pp. 278–281. CSIRO, Melbourne, Australia. , , , and .
- 1996. Characterisation of a population of Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. vasinfectum causing wilt of cotton in Australia. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 47:1143–1156. , , and .
- 1997. Populations of nonpathogenic Fusarium oxysporum associated with roots of four plant species compared to soilborne populations. Phytopathology 87:693–697. , , , and .
- 1991. Analysis of vegetative compatibility groups in nonpathogenic populations of Fusarium oxysporum isolated from symptomless tomato roots. Canadian Journal of Botany 69:2089–2094. , , and .
- 1994. Evolution of Infectious Diseases. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1994. Molecular characterization of races and vegetative compatibility groups in Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. vasinfectum. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 60:4039–4046. , , , and .
- 2007. Sympatric ascochyta complex on wild Cicer judaicum and domesticated chickpea. Plant Pathology 56:464–471. , , , and .
- 2008. Sustainable agriculture and plant diseases: an epidemiological perspective. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B 363:741–759.
- 1997. The evolutionary biology of Fusarium oxysporum. Annual Review of Phytopathology 35:111–128. , and .
- 1992a. Population structure and the relationship between pathogenic and nonpathogenic strains of Fusarium oxysporum. Phytopathology 82:73–77. , and .
- 1992b. Variation within and between populations of Fusarium oxysporum based on vegetative compatibility and mitochondrial DNA. Canadian Journal of Botany 70:1211–1217. , and .
- 1992. The structure and interrelationship of fungal populations in native and cultivated soils. Molecular Ecology 1:241–249. , , and .
- 1999. BioEdit: a user-friendly biological sequence alignment editor and analysis program for Windows 95/98/NT. Nucleic Acids Symposium Series 41:95–98.
- 1992. Fusarium wilt. In R. J.Hillocks, ed. Cotton Diseases, pp. 127–160. CAB International, Wallingford, UK.
- 1997. Screening for resistance in wild Lycopersicon species to Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. lycopersici race 1 and race 2. Euphytica 93:145–153. , and .
- 2006. Evolutionary epidemiology of plant virus disease. Advances in Virus Research 67:163–203. , , and .
- 1994. Screening of wild Cicer species for resistance to races 0 and 5 of Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. ciceris. Plant Disease 78:962–967. , , , , and .
- 1988. Vegetative-compatibility grouping of Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. vasinfectum from tissue and the rhizosphere of cotton plants. Phytopathology 78:852–855. , and .
- 1994. Physiologic races and vegetative compatibility groups of Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. melonis in Israel. Phytopathology 84:153–157. , , , and .
- 2005. Characterization of California isolates of Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. vasinfectum. Plant Disease 89:366–372. , , and .
- 1995. Fusarium wilt in cotton – a new record in Australia. Australasian Plant Pathology 24:74.
- 2006. The Fusarium Laboratory Manual. Blackwell Publishing, Ames, IA. , and .
- 2001. Icebergs and species in populations of Fusarium. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 59:107–117. , , and .
- 1983. Epidemiology and genetics in the coevolution of parasites and hosts. Proceedings of the Royal Society London B 219:281–313. , and .
- 1983. Fusarium species associated with grassland soils. Canadian Journal of Botany 61:2530–2538. , and .
- 2001. Fusarium wilt of banana: a diverse clonal pathogen of a domesticated clonal host. In B. A.Summerell, J. F.Leslie, D.Backhouse, W. L.Bryden, and L. W.Burgess, eds. Fusarium: Paul E. Nelson Memorial Symposium, pp. 212–224. APS Press, St Paul, MN. , , , and .
- 1983. Interactions between Avena and Puccinia species. II. The pathogens: Puccinia coronata Cda and P. graminis Pers. f.sp. avenae Eriks. and Henn. Journal of Applied Ecology 20:585–596. , , and .
- 1998a. Molecular systematics and phylogeography of the Gibberella fujikuroi species complex. Mycologia 90:465–493. , , and .
- 1998b. Multiple evolutionary origins of the fungus causing Panama disease of banana: concordant evidence from nuclear and mitochondrial gene genealogies. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 95:2044–2049. , , , and .
- 2000. Gene genealogies reveal global phylogeographic structure and reproductive isolation among lineages of Fusarium graminearum, the fungus causing wheat scab. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 97:7905–7910. , , , and .
- 2009. A two-locus DNA sequence database for typing plant and human pathogens within the Fusarium oxysporum species complex. Fungal Genetics and Biology 46:936–948. , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. TREEVIEW: an application to display phylogenetic trees on personal computers. Comparative Applications in the Biosciences 12:357–358.
- 1998. Modeltest: testing the model DNA substitution. Bioinformatics 14:817–818. , and .
- 1985. Classification of strains of Fusarium oxysporum on the basis of vegetative compatibility. Canadian Journal of Botany 63:179–183.
- 2003. MRBAYES 3: Bayesian phylogenetic inference under mixed models. Bioinformatics 19:1572–1574. , and .
- 1999. Population genetic analysis corroborates dispersal of Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. radicis-lycopersici from Florida to Europe. Phytopathology 89:623–630. , , , and .
- 2001. Evolution of Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. vasinfectum races inferred from multigene genealogies. Phytopathology 91:1231–1237. , , , and .
- 2002. Population structure and pathogenicity of members of the Fusarium oxysporum complex isolated from soil and root necrosis of pea (Pisum sativum L.). FEMS Microbiology Ecology 42:367–374. , , and .
- 1993. Mycogeography of Fusarium: survey of Fusarium species associated with forest and woodland communities in north Queensland, Australia. Mycological Research 97:1015–1019. , , and .
- 2006. Eukaryotic microbes, species recognition and the geographic limits of species: examples from the kingdom Fungi. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B 361:1947–1963. , , , , and .
- 2005. The Geographic Mosaic of Coevolution. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL.
- 1997. The population dynamics of annual plants and soil-borne fungal pathogens. Journal of Ecology 85:313–328. , , , and .
- 1995. AFLP: a new technique for DNA fingerprinting. Nucleic Acids Research 23:4407–4414. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Variations in soil populations of Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. vasinfectum as influenced by fertiliser application and growth of different crops. Australasian Plant Pathology 28:174–181. , , , , and .
- 2004. Fusarium species and Fusarium wilt pathogens associated with native Gossypium populations in Australia. Mycological Research 108:35–44. , , and .
- 2006. Genetic variation and population structure of Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. vasinfectum in Australia. Plant Pathology 55:746–755. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Evolution of virulence in Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. vasinfectum using serial passage assays through susceptible cotton. Phytopathology 98:296–303. , , , , and .
- 1990. Amplification and direct sequencing of fungal ribosomal RNA genes for phylogenetics. In M. A.Innes, D. H.Gelfand, J. J.Sninsky, and T. J.White, eds. PCR Protocols: A Guide to Methods and Applications, pp. 315–322. Academic Press, San Diego, CA. , , , and .
- 1995. Genetic variation in Fusarium oxysporum from cyclamen. Phytopathology 85:1348–1355. , , , , and .