Evolutionary Agroecology: the potential for cooperative, high density, weed-suppressing cereals
Version of Record online: 14 JUL 2010
© 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Special Issue: Evolution in Agro-Ecosystems
Volume 3, Issue 5-6, pages 473–479, September 2010
How to Cite
Weiner, J., Andersen, S. B., Wille, W. K.-M., Griepentrog, H. W. and Olsen, J. M. (2010), Evolutionary Agroecology: the potential for cooperative, high density, weed-suppressing cereals. Evolutionary Applications, 3: 473–479. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2010.00144.x
- Issue online: 27 AUG 2010
- Version of Record online: 14 JUL 2010
- Received: 8 June 2010 Accepted: 10 June 2010 First published online: 14 July 2010
- 1995. Ecology of World Vegetation. Chapman and Hall, London.
- 1999. Keeping up with the neighbours: phytochrome sensing and other signalling mechanisms. Trends in Plant Science 4:97–102.
- 1994. Signaling among neighboring plants and the development of size inequalities in plant populations. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 91:10094–10098. , , , and .
- 2003. Increased Phytochrome B alleviates density effects on tuber yield of Field Potato Crops. Plant Physiology 133:1539–1546. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Differential genetic influences on competitive effect and response in Arabidopsis thaliana. Journal of Ecology 93:958–967. , , and .
- 1995. Weed suppression ability of spring barley varieties. Weed Research 35:241–247.
- 2007. When can intelligent design of crops by humans outperform natural selection? In J. H. J.Spiertz, P. C.Struik, and H. H. v.Laar, eds. Scale and Complexity in Plant Systems Research: Gene–Plant–Crop Relations, pp. 285–300. Springer Media, Wageningen.
- 2003. Darwinian agriculture: when can humans find solutions beyond the reach of natural selection. Quarterly Review of Biology 78:145–168. , , and .
- 1968. The breeding of crop ideotypes. Euphytica 17:385–403.
- 1981. Competitive plants, communal plants, and yields in wheat crops. In L. T.Evans, and W. J.Peacock, eds. Wheat Science – Today and Tomorrow, pp. 223–247. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 1993. Crop Evolution, Adaptation and Yield. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 2006. Cessation of tillering in spring wheat in relation to light interception and red: far-red ratio. Annals of Botany 97:649–658. , , , and .
- 1968. Plant competition and crop yield. Nature 217:289–290. , and .
- 1973. The role of spatial pattern in the competition between crop plants and weeds. A theoretical analysis. Mathematical Biosciences 18:335–350. , and .
- 2001. Tragedy of the commons as a result of root competition. Journal of Ecology 89:660–669. , , , , and .
- 1990. Components of resource competition in plant communities. In J.Grace, and G. D.Tilman, eds. Perspectives in Plant Competition, pp. 27–47. Academic Press, New York.
- 2005. Multilevel selection: the evolution of cooperation in non-kin groups. Population Ecology 47:3–12.
- 1964. The genetical evolution of social behaviour. II. Journal of Theoretical Biology 7:17–52.
- 1968. The tragedy of the commons. Science 162:1243–1248.
- 1977. Population Biology of Plants. Academic Press, London.
- 1965. The Ecological Theater and the Evolutionary Play. Yale University Press, New Haven.
- 2008. Crop density, sowing pattern and nitrogen fertilization effects on weed suppression and yield in spring wheat. Weed Science 56:97–102. , , and .
- Liebman, M., C. M.Mohler, and C. P.Staver, eds. 2001. Ecological Management of Agricultural Weeds. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 1993. Optimization theory and crop improvement. In D. R.Buxton et al., eds. International Crop Science I, pp. 583–588. Crop Science Society of America, Madison, WI.
- 2002. Soil fertility and biodiversity in organic farming. Science 296:1694–1697. , , , , , and .
- 1964. Group selection and kin selection. Nature 201:1145–1147.
- 1982. The theory of kin selection. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 13:23–55.
- 1987. Competitive effects and responses between plant species in a first-year old-field community. Ecology 68:1201–1210. , and .
- 1984. Growth and mortality of individual plants as a function of “available area”. Oecologia 62:57–60. , , and .
- 2001. Enhancing the competitive ability of crops. In M.Liebman, C. L.Mohler, and C. P.Staver, eds. Ecological Management of Agricultural Weeds, pp. 269–321. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 2005a. Effects of density and spatial pattern of winter wheat on suppression of different weed species. Weed Science 53:690–694. , , and .
- 2005b. Increased density and spatial uniformity increases weed suppression by spring wheat (Triticum aestivum). Weed Research 45:316–321. , , , and .
- 2006. Influence of sowing density and spatial pattern of spring wheat (Triticum aestivum) on the suppression of different weed species. Weed Biology and Management 6:165–173. , , and .
- 1987. An evaluation of ideotype breeding. Crop Science 27:1140–1146. .
- 1995. Crop planting pattern effects on early growth and canopy shape of cultivated and wild oats (Avena fatua). Weed Science 43:88–94. , and .
- 2005. Cereal phytochromes: targets of selection, targets for manipulation? Trends in Plant Science 10:138–143. , , and .
- 1999. Manipulative approaches to testing adaptive plasticity: phytochrome-mediated shade-avoidance responses in plants. American Naturalist 154:S43–S54. , , and .
- 1998. Mechanisms determining the degree of size-asymmetry in competition among plants. Oecologia 113:447–455. , and .
- 1982. Light quality, photoperception, and plant strategy. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 33:481–518.
- 2003. Ecology – the science of agriculture in the 21st century. Journal of Agricultural Science 141:371–377.
- 2004. Allocation, plasticity and allometry in plants. Perspectives in Plant Ecology Evolution and Systematics 6:207–215.
- 2010. Constant final yield. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 41:in press. , and .
- 1986. Size variability and competition in plant monocultures. Oikos 47:211–222. , and .
- 2001. Suppression of weeds by spring wheat (Triticum aestivum) increases with crop density and spatial uniformity. Journal of Applied Ecology 38:784–790. , , and .
- 1966. Adaptation and Natural Selection: A Critique of Some Current Evolutionary Thought. Princeton University Press, Princeton.
- 2007. Rethinking the theoretical foundation of sociobiology. The Quarterly Review of Biology 82:327–348. , and .
- 1986. Evolution through Group Selection. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford.