Individual fitness versus whole-crop photosynthesis:solar tracking tradeoffs in alfalfa
Version of Record online: 3 AUG 2010
© 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Special Issue: Evolution in Agro-Ecosystems
Volume 3, Issue 5-6, pages 466–472, September 2010
How to Cite
Denison, R. F., Fedders, J. M. and Harter, B. L. (2010), Individual fitness versus whole-crop photosynthesis:solar tracking tradeoffs in alfalfa. Evolutionary Applications, 3: 466–472. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2010.00148.x
- Issue online: 27 AUG 2010
- Version of Record online: 3 AUG 2010
- Received: 17 May 2010 Accepted: 21 June 2010 First published online: 3 August 2010
- 1980. Genetic improvements in winter wheat yields since 1900 and associated physiological changes. Journal of Agricultural Science, Cambridge 94:675–689. , , , , , , and .
- 1986. Solar tracking: light avoidance induced by water stress in leaves of kidney bean seedlings in the field. Crop Science 26:980–986. , and .
- 1754. Recherches sur l’usage des feuilles dans les plantes, et sur quelques autres sujets relatifs a l’histoire de la vegetation. Chez Elje Luzac, Gottingen.
- 1985. Drought and changes in leaf orientation for two California chaparral shrubs: Ceanothus megacarpus and Ceanothus crassifolius. Oecologia 65:531–535. , and .
- 2009. Darwinian agriculture: real, imaginary and complex tradeoffs as constraints and opportunities. In V. O.Sadras, and D. F.Calderini, eds. Crop Physiology: Applications for Genetic Improvement and Agronomy, pp. 215–234. Elsevier, Amsterdam.
- 1988. An Integrative Physiological Model of Alfalfa Growth and Development. University of California, Oakland. , and .
- 2003. Darwinian agriculture: when can humans find solutions beyond the reach of natural selection? Quarterly Review of Biology 78:145–168. , , and .
- 1968. The breeding of crop ideotypes. Euphytica 17:385–403.
- 1967. A model for simulating photosynthesis in plant communities. Hilgardia 38:181–205. , , , and .
- 1980. Solar tracking by plants. Science 210:1094–1098. , and .
- 1970. Selfish and spiteful behaviour in an evolutionary model. Nature 228:1218–1220.
- 2005. Root architectural tradeoffs for water and phosphorus acquisition. Functional Plant Biology 32:737–748. , , , and .
- 1974. Influence of partial defoliation on photosynthesis, photorespiration and transpiration by lucerne leaves of different ages. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 1:561–578.
- 1968. Studies on competition in rice. I. Competition in mixtures of varieties. Evolution 22:119–124. , and .
- 1999. Phylogenetic aspects of the evolution of C4 photosynthesis. In R. F.Sage, and R. K.Monson, eds. C4 Plant Biology. pp. 411–444. Academic Press, San Diego.
- 1988. Design and examination of soybean ideotypes. Japan Agricultural Research Quarterly 21:237–243.
- 1982. Constraints on leaf structure and function in relation to herbivory. Bioscience 32:198–206. , and .
- 2007. Plant nuclear factor Y (NF-Y) B subunits confer drought tolerance and lead to improved corn yields on water-limited acres. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 104: 16450–16455. , , and , et al.
- 1985. Photosynthetic responses to dynamic light environments by Hawaiian trees. Time course of CO2 uptake and carbon gain during sunflecks. Plant Physiology 79:896–902. , , and .
- 1968. Field investigations of the relationships of leaf angle in corn (Zea mays L.) to grain yield and apparent photosynthesis. Agronomy Journal 60:422–424. , , , and .
- 1987. An evaluation of ideotype breeding. Crop Science 27:1140–1146.
- 1994. Yield potential in modern wheat varieties: its association with a less competitive ideotype. Field Crops Research 37:149–160. , , , and .
- 1979. Microclimate, photosynthesis and growth of lucerne (Medicago sativa L.). I. Microclimate and photosynthesis. Annals of Botany 44:693–707. , , , and .
- 1999. Erect leaves and photosynthesis of rice. Science 283:1456–1457. , and .
- 1966. Some observations on upright-leaf-type small grains. Canadian Journal of Plant Science 46:690. , , , and .
- 1983. The solar tracking pattern in a closed alfalfa canopy. Crop Science 23:664–668. , and .
- 1975. Leaf inclination and crop production. Field Crop Abstracts 28:231–244. , and .
- 1958. The dependence of net assimilation rate on leaf-area index. Annals of Botany 22:37–54.
- 1957. Pleiotropy, natural selection, and the evolution of senescence. Evolution 11:398–411.