Early detection of population declines: high power of genetic monitoring using effective population size estimators
Article first published online: 3 AUG 2010
© 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 4, Issue 1, pages 144–154, January 2011
How to Cite
Antao, T., Pérez-Figueroa, A. and Luikart, G. (2011), Early detection of population declines: high power of genetic monitoring using effective population size estimators. Evolutionary Applications, 4: 144–154. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2010.00150.x
- Issue published online: 6 DEC 2010
- Article first published online: 3 AUG 2010
- Received: 15 June 2010 Accepted: 25 June 2010 First published online: 3 August 2010
- 2009. Fundamental concepts in genetics: effective population size and patterns of molecular evolution and variation. Nature Reviews Genetics 10:195–205.
- 2009. Biopython: freely available python tools for computational molecular biology and bioinformatics. Bioinformatics 25:1422–1423. , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. Description and power analysis of two tests for detecting recent population bottlenecks from allele frequency data. Genetics 144:2001–2014. , and .
- 1970. Introduction to Population Genetics Theory. Harper & Row Publishers, New York. , and .
- 2004. Microsatellites: simple sequences with complex evolution. Nature Reviews Genetics 5:435–445.
- 2006. Estimating effective population size from linkage disequilibrium: severe bias in small samples. Conservation Genetics 7:303–308. , , , , and .
- Early detection of population fragmentation using linkage disequilibrium estimation of effective population size. Conservation Genetics. In press. , , and . In press.
- 2005. Genetics and extinction. Biological Conservation 126:131–140.
- 1981. Estimation of effective population size from data on linkage disequilibrium. Genetics Research 38:209–216.
- 1995. Temporal allele frequency change and estimation of effective size in populations with overlapping generations. Genetics 139:1077–1090. , and .
- 1996. Demographic genetics of brown trout (Salmo trutta) and estimation of effective population size from temporal change of allele frequencies. Genetics 143:1369–1381. , and .
- 2007. Unbiased estimator for genetic drift and effective population size. Genetics 177:927–935. , and .
- 1971. The genetics of Dacus oleae. V. changes of esterase polymorphism in a natural population following insecticide control-selection or drift? Evolution 25:454–460. , and .
- 2005. Genetic approaches for estimating the effective size of populations. Journal of Wildlife Management 69:1385–1399.
- 1999. Temporal changes in allele frequencies provide estimates of population bottleneck size. Conservation Biology 13:523–530. , , and .
- 2003. The power and promise of population genomics: from genotyping to genome typing. Nature Reviews Genetics 4:981–994. , , , , and .
- 2010. Estimating census and effective population sizes: increasing usefulness of genetic methods. Conservation Genetics 11:355–373. , , , , and .
- 1981. Genetic drift and estimation of effective population size. Genetics 98:625–640. , and .
- 2008. Estimation of effective number of breeders from molecular coancestry of single cohort sample. Evolutionary Applications 1:462–474.
- 1994. Estimating the effective population size of conserved populations. Conservation Biology 8:175–184. and .
- 2008. Genetic estimates of contemporary effective population size: what can they tell us about the importance of genetic stochasticity for wild population persistence? Molecular Ecology 17:3428–3447. , and .
- 2005. simuPOP: a forward-time population genetics simulation environment. Bioinformatics 21:3686–3687. , and .
- 1983. A new method for estimating the effective population size from allele frequency changes. Genetics 104:531–548.
- 1996. Temporal changes in allele frequencies and a population's history of severe bottlenecks. Conservation Biology 10:832–839. , and .
- 2008. genepop’007: a complete re-implementation of the genepop software for windows and linux. Molecular Ecology Resources 8:103–106.
- 1997. Low mutation rates of microsatellite loci in drosophila melanogaster. Nature Genetics 15:99–102. , , and .
- 1995. Biometry. W. H. Freeman and Co., New York. , and .
- 2008. onesamp: a program to estimate effective population size using approximate bayesian computation. Molecular Ecology Notes 8:299–301. , , , and .
- 2001. Temporal-method estimates of ne from highly polymorphic loci. Conservation Genetics 2:297–308. , , and .
- 2001. Estimation of effective population size and migration rate from one- and two-locus identity measures. Genetics 157:911–925. , and .
- 2001. A pseudo-likelihood method for estimating effective population size from temporally spaced samples. Genetics Research 78:243–257.
- 2003. Estimating effective population size and migration rates from genetic samples over space and time. Genetics 163:429–446. , and .
- 2006. What is a population?: an empirical evaluation of some genetic methods for identifying the number of gene pools and their degree of connectivity. Molecular ecology 15:1419–1439. 10.1111/j.1365-294X.2006.02890.x. , and .
- 1989. A generalized approach for estimating effective population size from temporal changes in allele frequency. Genetics 121:379–391.
- 2006. A bias correction for estimates of effective population size based on linkage disequilibrium at unlinked gene loci*. Conservation Genetics 7:167–184.
- 2008. ldne: a program for estimating effective population size from data on linkage disequilibrium. Molecular Ecology Resources 8:753–756. , and .
- 2010. Linkage disequilibrium estimates of contemporary Ne using highly variable genetic markers: a largely untapped resource for applied conservation and evolution. Evolutionary Applications 3:244–262. , and .
- 2007. Temporal estimates of effective population size in species with overlapping generations. Genetics 175:219–233. , and .
- 1984. Estimating f-statistics for the analysis of population structure. Evolution 38:1358–1370. , and .