The interplay between the effectiveness of the grass-endophyte mutualism and the genetic variability of the host plant
Article first published online: 16 AUG 2010
© 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Special Issue: Evolution in Agro-Ecosystems
Volume 3, Issue 5-6, pages 538–546, September 2010
How to Cite
Gundel, P. E., Omacini, M., Sadras, V. O. and Ghersa, C. M. (2010), The interplay between the effectiveness of the grass-endophyte mutualism and the genetic variability of the host plant. Evolutionary Applications, 3: 538–546. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2010.00152.x
- Issue published online: 27 AUG 2010
- Article first published online: 16 AUG 2010
- Received: 2 July 2010 Accepted: 9 July 2010 First published online: 16 August 2010
- 2008. Symbiosis lost: imperfect vertical transmission of fungal endophytes in grasses. The American Naturalist 172:405–416. , and .
- 2002. Vertically transmitted fungal endophytes: different responses of host-parasite systems to environmental conditions. Oikos 99:173–183. , , , , and .
- 2005. Inbreeding depression in benign and stressful environments. Heredity 95:235–242. , and .
- 2002. Genetic structure of natural populations of the grass endophyte Epichloë festucae in semiarid grasslands. Molecular Ecology 11:355–364. , , , and .
- 1998. Genetic differentiation within and between natural populations of perennial and annual ryegrass (Lolium perenne and L. rigidum). Heredity 81:100–110. , , and .
- 2000. Evidence for phylogeographic structure in Lolium species related to the spread of agriculture in Europe. A cpDNA study. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 101:131–138. , , and .
- 2003. Molecular evidence for host-adapted races of the fungal endophyte Epichloë bromicola after presumed host shifts. Evolution 57:37–51. , and .
- 2008. Long distance pollen-mediated flow of herbicide resistance genes in Lolium rigidum. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 117:1281–1290. , , , and .
- 2009. Ecology and Evolution of the Grass-endophyte Symbiosis. Oxford University Press, New York, USA. , and .
- 1989. Interactions between infection by endophytic fungi and nutrient limitation in the grasses Lolium perenne and Festuca arundinacea. New Phytologist 111:89–97. , , and .
- 1995. Variation in the ability of Acremonium endophytes of Lolium perenne, Festuca arundinacea and F. pratensis to form compatible associations in the three grasses. Mycological Research 99:466–470.
- 2008. Epichloë endophytes grow by intercalary hyphal extension in elongating grass leaves. Fungal Genetics and Biology 45:84–93. , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. Genetics of host specificity in Epichloë typhina. Phytopathology 87:599–605. , , , and .
- 1988. Fungal endophytes of grasses: a defensive mutualism between plants and fungi. Ecology 69:10–16.
- 1993. The ecology and evolution of grasses. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 44:39–64.
- 2008. Defensive mutualism and grass endophytes: still valid after all these years? In J.White, and M.Torres, eds. Defensive Mutualism in Microbial Symbiosis, pp. 9–20. Taylor & Francis Group Publishers, Boca Raton, FL.
- 2002. Evolutionary origin and ecological consequences of endophyte symbiosis with grasses. The American Naturalist 160:S99–S127. , and .
- 2005. Understanding mutualism when there is adaptation to the partner. Journal of Ecology 93:305–314. , , and .
- 2003. Cooperation in the rhizosphere and the “free rider” problem. Ecology 84:838–845. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Characterization of Italian populations of Lolium spp. resistant and susceptible to Diclofop by inter simple sequence repeat. Weed Science 52:554–563. , , , , and .
- 1994. Symbiotic Interactions. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK.
- 2007. Grasses and Neotyphodium endophytes: co-adaptation and adaptive breeding. Euphytica 154:295–306.
- 2007. Population size and relatedness affect fitness of a self-incompatible invasive plant. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 104:549–552. , , , and .
- 2000. Hybridization as a stimulus for the evolution of invasiveness in plants? Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 97:7043–7050. , and .
- 2002. Are endophytic fungi defensive plant mutualists? Oikos 98:25–36.
- 2003. Mutualistic asexual endophytes in a native grass, are usually parasitic. The American Naturalist 161:310–325. , and .
- 2007. Demographic and genetic Allee effects interact in depressing reproduction in a weedy grass (Lolium multiflorum). PS 30-124. The ESA/SER Joint Meeting, California, US. , and .
- 2001. Effects of habitat fragmentation on choke disease (Epichloë bromicola) in the grass Bromus erectus. Journal of Ecology 89:247–255. , , , , and .
- 2008. Neotyphodium endophyte infection frequency in annual grass populations: relative importance of mutualism and transmission efficiency. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B 275:897–905. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Imperfect vertical transmission of the endophyte Neotyphodium in exotic grasses in grasslands of the Flooding Pampa. Microbial Ecology 57:740–748. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Dynamics of Neotyphodium endophyte infection in ageing seed pools: incidence of differential viability loss of endophyte, infected seed, and non-infected seed. Annals of Applied Biology 156:199–209. , , , and .
- 1999. The evolution of mutualisms: exploring the paths between conflict and cooperation. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 14:49–53. , , , and .
- 2003. Effects of Neotyphodium endophytes on growth, reproduction and drought-stress tolerance of three Lolium perenne L. genotypes. Grass Forage Science 58:407–415. , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Phylogenetic divergence, morphological and physiological differences distinguish a new Neotyphodium endophyte species in the grass Bromus auleticus from South America. Mycologia 101:340–351. , , , and .
- 1993. Cytogenetics of the Festuca-Lolium Complex Relevance to Breeding. Springer-Verlag, Berlin.
- 2002. Mediating mutualisms: the influence of farm management practices on the evolutionary maintenance of symbiont cooperation. Journal of Applied Ecology 39:745–754. , , and .
- 1993. Incompatibility of some grass/Acremonium endophyte associations. Mycological Research 97:1237–1244. , , and .
- 2000. Adaptations of endophyte-infected cool-season grasses to environmental stresses: mechanisms of drought and mineral stress tolerance. Crop Science 40:923–940. , and .
- 1995. The Major Transitions in Evolution. WH Freeman & Co. Ltd., Oxford, UK. , and .
- 2000. The evolutionary origins of Epichlöe endophytes from annual ryegrasses. Mycologia 92:1103–1118. , , , and .
- 2005. Symbiosis between grasses and asexual fungal endophytes. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 8:450–456. , and .
- 2005. Specificity of host-endophyte association in tall fescue populations from Sardinia, Italy. Crop Science 45:1456–1463. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Ecology of Weeds and Invasive Plants: Relationship to Agriculture and Natural Resource Management, 3rd edn. John Wiley & Sons Inc, Hoboken, NJ, USA. , , and .
- 1997. The effect of imperfect transmission on the frequency of mutualistic seed-borne endophytes in natural populations of grasses. Oikos 80:18–24. , , and .
- 2003. Grassroots ecology: plant-microbe-soil interactions as drivers of plant community structure and dynamics. Ecology 84:2281–2291. , , , and .
- 2009. Fungal endophytes: diversity and functional roles. New Phytologist 182:314–330. , , , and .
- 2009. A fungus among us: broad patterns of endophyte distribution in the grasses. Ecology 90:1531–1539. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Do plant parts compete for resources? An evolutionary perspective. New Phytologist 183:565–574. , and .
- 1998. Fungal endophytes: a continuum of interactions with host plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 29:319–343. , , , and .
- 2002. The persistence of vertically transmitted fungi in grass metapopulations. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B 269:1397–1403. , , and .
- 2004. Evolution of endophyte-plant symbioses. Trends in Plant Science 9:275–280. , , , and .
- 2006. Model systems in ecology: dissecting the endophyte-grass literature. Trends in Plant Science 11:428–433. , , , , and .
- 2004. Symbioses of grasses with seedborne fungal endophytes. Annual Review in Plant Biology 55:315–340. , , and .
- 1998. Distribution, abundances and associations of the endophytic fungal community of Arizona fescue (Festuca arizonica Vasey). Mycologia 90:569–578. , and .
- 2007. Fungal endophytes in grasses: hybrids rescued by vertical transmission? An evolutionary perspective New Phytologist 173:452–458. , and .
- 2004. Gene flow in the endophyte Neotyphodium and implications for coevolution with Festuca arizonica. Molecular Ecology 13:649–656. , and .
- 2007. Evaluation of the potential role of water in spread of conidia of the Neotyphodium endophyte of Poa ampla. Mycological Research 111:466–472. , , , and .
- 2005. Allee effects in biological invasions. Ecology Letters 8:895–908. , and .
- 2005. The Geographic Mosaic of Coevolution. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL. .
- 2007. Coevolution of symbiotic mutualists and parasites in a community context. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 22:120–126. , , , and .
- 2009. From plant-microbe interactions to symbiogenetics: a universal paradigm for the interspecies genetic integration. Annals of Applied Biology 154:341–350. , and .
- 1993. Transmission and survival of Acremonium and the implications for grass breeding. Agriculture, Ecosystem and Environments 44:195–213.
- 2003. Evolution of herbicide resistance in weeds: vertically transmitted fungal endophytes as genetic entities. Evolutionary Ecology 17:441–456. , , and .
- 2007. Occurrence and genetic structure of the systemic grass endophyte Epichloë festucae in fine fescue populations. Microbial Ecology 53:20–29. , , , and .
- 1999. Distribution of fungal endophyte genotypes in doubly infected host grasses. Plant Journal 18:349–358. , , and .
- 2005. Factors affecting Italian ryegrass (Lolium multiflorum L.) seed distribution. In J. J.Murphy, ed. Utilization of Grazed Grass in Temperate Animal Systems, p. 248. Wageningen Academic Publishers, Netherlands. , and .
- 2008. How far are we from unravelling self-incompatibility in grasses? New Phytologist 178:740–753. , , , and .
- 2008. Global genetic diversity of the perennial ryegrass fungal endophyte Neotyphodium lolii. Crop Science 48:1487–1501. , , , , , , and .