Gene-drive into insect populations with age and spatial structure: a theoretical assessment
Article first published online: 14 SEP 2010
© 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 4, Issue 3, pages 415–428, May 2011
How to Cite
Huang, Y., Lloyd, A. L., Legros, M. and Gould, F. (2011), Gene-drive into insect populations with age and spatial structure: a theoretical assessment. Evolutionary Applications, 4: 415–428. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2010.00153.x
- Issue published online: 18 APR 2011
- Article first published online: 14 SEP 2010
- Received: 17 June 2010 Accepted: 24 June 2010
- 2007. Analyzing the control of mosquito-borne diseases by a dominant lethal genetic system. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 104:9540–9545. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Fractional reproduction-dispersal equations and heavy tail dispersal kernels. Bulletin of Mathematical Biology 69:2281–2297. , , and .
- 1979. The dynamics of hybrid zones. Heredity 43:341–359.
- 1981. The descriptive properties of some models for density dependence. The Journal of Animal Ecology 50:139–156.
- 2001. Engineered underdominance allows efficient and economical introgression of traits into pest populations. Journal of Theoretical Biology 212:83–98. , , and .
- 1984. Models for the population dynamics of the yellow fever mosquito, Aedes aegypti. The Journal of Animal Ecology 53:247–268.
- 1937. The wave of advance of advantageous genes. Annals of Eugenics 7:355–369.
- Gates Foundation. 2009. Grand Challenges in Global Health. http://www.grandchallenges.org/Pages/BrowseByDisease.aspx .
- 2003. Population models for marine reserve design: a retrospective and prospective synthesis. Ecological Applications 13:S47–S64. , , , , , , and .
- 2004. Population genetics of autocidal control and strain replacement. Annual Review of Entomology 49:193–217. , and .
- 2001. Why do female Aedes aegypti (Diptera: Culicidae) feed preferentially and frequently on human blood? Journal of Medical Entomology 38:411–422. , , and .
- 2005. Dispersal of the dengue vector Aedes aegypti within and between rural communities. The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 72:209–220. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007a. Introducing desirable transgenes into insect populations using Y-linked meiotic drive: a theoretical assessment. Evolution 61:717–726. , , , and .
- 2007b. Introducing transgenes into insect populations using combined gene-drive strategies: modeling and analysis. Insect Biochemistry and Molecular Biology 37:1054–1063. , , , and .
- 2009. Gene-drive in age-structured insect populations. Evolutionary Applications 2:143–159. , , , and .
- 2004. Assessing fitness costs for transgenic Aedes aegypti expressing the GFP marker and transposase genes. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 101:891–896. , , , , and .
- 2005. Gene drive systems in mosquitoes: rules of the road. Trends in Parasitology 21:64–67.
- 2005. History of sterile insect technique. In V. A.Dyck, J.Hendrichs, and A. S.Robinson, eds. Sterile Insect Technique: Principles and Practice in Area-Wide Integrated Pest Management, pp. 3–36. Springer, The Netherlands. , and .
- 1996. Dispersal data and the spread of invading organisms. Ecology 77:2027–2042. , , and .
- 2009. Density-dependent intraspecific competition in the larval stage of Aedes aegypti (Diptera: Culicidae): revisiting the current paradigm. Journal of Medical Entomology 46:409–419. , , , and .
- 1966. Strategy of model building in population biology. American Scientist 54:421–431.
- 1993. Allee dynamics and the spread of invading organisms. Theoretical Population Biology 43:141–158. , and .
- 2007. Daily survival rates and dispersal of Aedes aegypti females in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 76:659–665. , , and .
- 2006. Genetically engineered underdominance for manipulation of pest populations: a deterministic model. Genetics 172:2613–2620. , and .
- 2009. Skeeter Buster: a stochastic, spatially-explicit modeling tool for studying Aedes aegypti population replacement and population suppression strategies. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases 3:e508. , , , , , , and .
- 1973. The stability of predator-prey systems. Ecology 54:384–391. , and .
- 1977. Population characteristics of domestic Aedes aegypti (Diptera: Culicidae) in villages on the Kenya Coast I. Adult survivorship and population size. Journal of Medical Entomology 14:42–48.
- 2003. Population subdivision can help or hinder Wolbachia introductions into vector populations. Proceedings of the Mosquito Vector Control Association, CA 71:80–86.
- 2004. Impact of population age structure on Wolbachia transgene driver efficacy: ecologically complex factors and release of genetically-modified mosquitoes. Insect Biochemistry and Molecular Biology 34:707–713. , and .
- 2003. Wolbachia-induced mortality as a mechanism to modulate pathogen transmission by vector arthropods. Journal of Medical Entomology 40:125–132. , , and .
- 2002. Spatially explicit models of Turelli-Hoffmann Wolbachia invasive wave fronts. Journal of Theoretical Biology 215:121–131.
- 2002. The ecology of genetically modified mosquitoes. Science 298:117–119. , , , and .
- 1993. Mosquito Ecology. Field Sampling Methods. Elsevier, London.
- 2006. Gene-drive systems for insect disease vectors. Nature Reviews. Genetics 7:427–435. , and .
- 2003. Qualitative theory of the spread of a new gene into a resident population. Ecological Modelling 163:33–44. , , , and .
- 2010. Cytoplasmic incompatibility in populations with overlapping generations. Evolution 64:232–241.
- 1991. Rapid spread of an inherited incompatibility factor in California Drosophila. Nature 353:440–442. , and .
- 1994. The population dynamics of maternal-effect selfish genes. Genetics 138:1309–1314. , and .
- 2002. Integrodifference equations, Allee effects, and invasions. Journal of Mathematical Biology 44:150–168. , , and .
- 2009. Importance of space and competition in optimizing genetic control strategies. Journal of Economic Entomology 102:50–57. , and .
- 2008a. Aedes aegypti control: the concomitant role of competition, space and transgenic technologies. The Journal of Applied Ecology 45:1258–1265. , , and .
- 2008b. A network approach to modeling population aggregation and genetic control of pest insects. Theoretical Population Biology 74:324–331. , , and .