Selection due to nonretention mortality in gillnet fisheries for salmon
Article first published online: 14 SEP 2010
© 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 4, Issue 3, pages 429–443, May 2011
How to Cite
Baker, M. R., Kendall, N. W., Branch, T. A., Schindler, D. E. and Quinn, T. P. (2011), Selection due to nonretention mortality in gillnet fisheries for salmon. Evolutionary Applications, 4: 429–443. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2010.00154.x
- Issue published online: 18 APR 2011
- Article first published online: 14 SEP 2010
- Accepted: 12 July 2010
- ADMB Project. 2009. AD Model Builder: automatic differentiation model builder. Developed by David Fournier and available at http://www.admb-project.org (accessed on November 25, 2009).
- 2009. Human-induced evolution caused by unnatural selection through harvest of wild animals. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 106:9987–9994. , and .
- 2004. Evaluate Live Capture Selective Harvest Methods. Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife Report #FPA 04-04, Olympia, WA. , , , , and .
- 2009. Unaccounted mortality in salmon fisheries: non-retention in gillnets and effects on estimates of spawners. Journal of Applied Ecology 46:752–761. , and .
- 1993. Variation in life history characteristics and morphology of sockeye salmon in the Kvichak River system, Bristol Bay, Alaska. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 122:550–559. , , and .
- 2010. A general model for reconstructing salmon runs. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 67:886–904. , and .
- 1986. Effects of gill net selectivity on sockeye salmon in the Egegik and Naknek-Kvichak districts, Bristol Bay, Alaska. Masters Thesis, University of Alaska, Fairbanks, AK.
- 1997. Genetic differentiation of sockeye salmon subpopulations from a geologically young Alaskan lake system. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 126:926–938. , , and .
- 1964. Net Selectivity in Relation to Spawning Populations of Nushagak Sockeye Salmon, pp. 13–15. University of Washington, Seattle, WA.
- 2009. Does variation in selection imposed by bears drive divergence among populations in the size and shape of sockeye salmon. Evolution 63:1244–1261. , , and .
- 2002. Sustaining fisheries yields over evolutionary time scales. Science 297:94–96. , and .
- 2009. Reversal of evolutionary downsizing caused by selective harvest of large fish. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B: Biological Sciences 276:2015–2020. , , and .
- 2009. Genetic Stock Composition of the Commercial Harvest of Sockeye Salmon in Bristol Bay, Alaska, 2006–2008. Department of Fish and Game, Anchorage, AK. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Human predators outpace other agents of trait change in the wild. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 106:952–954. , , , , , and .
- 1996. Homing in Pacific salmon: mechanisms and ecological basis. Journal of Experimental Biology 199:83–91. , and .
- 2010. Temporal patterns of upriver migration by sockeye salmon populations in the Wood River system, Bristol Bay, Alaska. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 139:80–91. , , , and .
- 1982. The Jackknife, The Bootstrap, and Other Resampling Plans. Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, Philadelphia.
- 2009. Implications of fisheries-induced evolution for stock rebuilding and recovery. Evolutionary Applications 2:394–414. , , , , and .
- 2010. Improved viability of populations with diverse life-history portfolios. Biology Letters 6:382–386. , , , and .
- 2000. Selection on morphology of spawning wild sockeye salmon by a gill-net fishery. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 129:1300–1315. , , , and .
- 1999. Relative Distribution Methods. Springer-Verlag, New York, NY. , and .
- 2008. Evolutionary consequences of fishing and their implications for salmon. Evolutionary Applications 1:388–408. , , , , , , and .
- 1963. Problems in tagging salmon at sea. International Commission for the Northwest Atlantic Fisheries, Special Publication 4:144–155.
- 1986. Optimum size and age at maturity in Pacific salmon and effects of size-selective fisheries. In D. J.Meerburg, ed. Salmonid Age at Maturity, pp. 39–52. Canadian Special Publications Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 89, Department of Fisheries and Oceans, Ottawa.
- 1998. Management of evolving fish stocks. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 55:1971–1982.
- 2002. Fisheries-induced selection pressures in the context of sustainable fisheries. Bulletin of Marine Science 70:639–656. , and .
- 2002. Measuring probabilistic reaction norms for age and size at maturation. Evolution 56:669–678. , , and .
- 2003. Biocomplexity and fisheries sustainability. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 100:6564–6568. , , , and .
- 2009. Size-selective fishing gear and life history evolution in the Northeast Arctic cod. Evolutionary Applications 2:394–414. , , and .
- 2009. Effects of population-specific variation in age and length on fishery selection and exploitation rates of sockeye salmon. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 66:896–908. , and .
- 2009. Quantifying six decades of fishery selection for size and age at maturity in sockeye salmon. Evolutionary Applications 2:523–536. , , and .
- 2009. Some cautionary notes on fisheries evolutionary impact assessments. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA 106:E115. , , , , , and .
- 2001. Impacts of Size Selective Gillnet Fisheries on Puget Sound Coho Salmon Populations. Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife, Olympia, WA. , , and .
- 2007. Detecting and managing fisheries-induced evolution. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 22:652–659. , and .
- 2000. Fishing, selection, and phenotypic evolution. ICES Journal of Marine Science 57:659–668.
- 1989. Evolution of yields from populations with age-specific cropping. Evolutionary Ecology 3:343–359. , and .
- 1993. Cohort-structured populations, selection responses, and exploitation of the North Sea cod. In T. K.Stokes, J. M.McGlade, and R.Law, eds. The Exploitation of Evolving Resources, pp. 153–173. Lecture Notes in Biomathematics. Springer-Verlag, Berlin. , and .
- 1964. Stream catalog of the Wood River lake system, Bristol Bay, Alaska, pp. 210. Fish and Wildlife Service, United States Department of the Interior, Washington, DC. , , , and .
- 2004. Maturation trends indicative of rapid evolution preceded the collapse of northern cod. Nature 428:932–935. , , , , , , and .
- 1993. Fishing as a cause of evolution in fishes. In T. K.Stokes, J. M.McGlade, and R.Law, eds. The Exploitation of Evolving Resources, pp. 8–18. Springer-Verlag, Berlin.
- 1992. Morphological changes in senescing adult male sockeye salmon. Journal of Fish Biology 41:1045–1047. , and .
- 2001. Influence of breeding habitat on bear predation and age at maturity and sexual dimorphism of sockeye salmon populations. Canadian Journal of Zoology 79:1782–1793. , , , , and .
- 1969. Fish size parameters useful in estimating gill-net selectivity. Progressive Fish-Culturist 31:57–59.
- 1981. Changes in the average size and average age of Pacific salmon. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 38:1636–1656.
- 1993. The effects of fishing on the timing of maturation in North Sea cod (Gaudus morhua L.). In T. K.Stokes, J. M.McGlade, and R.Law, eds. The Exploitation of Evolving Resources. Lecture Notes in Biomathematics, pp. 44–61. Springer-Verlag, Berlin.
- 2010. Population diversity and the portfolio effect in an exploited species. Nature 465:550–554. , , , , , , and .
- 2000. Ecological character displacement in adaptive radiation. American Naturalist 156:S4–S16.
- 2009. Life history change in commercially exploited fish stocks: an analysis of trends across studies. Evolutionary Applications 2:260–275. , and .
- 1995. The genetic impacts of human activities on wild fish populations. Reviews in Fish Science 3:91–108.
- 2003. Evidence for fine-scale natal homing among island beach spawning sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka). Environmental Biology of Fishes 67:77–85. , , and .
- 2000. Fishing as an evolutionary force. Marine Ecology Progress Series 208:307–309. , and .
- 2007. Evolutionary response to size-selective mortality in an exploited fish population, Proceedings of the Royal Society 274:1015–1022. , , and .
- 1962. The research program of the Fisheries Research Institute in Bristol Bay, 1945–1958. In T. S. Y.Koo, ed. Studies of Alaskan Red Salmon, pp. 3–48. University of Washington Press, Seattle, WA.
- 1973. Viability of Adult Sockeye Salmon that Disentangle from Gillnets. Annual Report 1971, International North Pacific Fisheries Commission, Vancouver, Canada. , and .
- 1971. Studies of Live and Dead Salmon that Unmesh from Gillnets. Annual Report 1969, International North Pacific Fisheries Commission, Vancouver, Canada. , , and .
- 1971. Gillnet selectivity on sockeye (Oncorhynchus nerka) and pink salmon (O. gorbuscha) of the Skeena River system, British Columbia. Journal of the Fisheries Research Board of Canada 28:821–842. , and .
- 1995. Age at maturity as a stress indicator in fisheries. BioScience 45:759–771.
- 1994. Genetic differentiation of subpopulations of sockeye salmon within lakes of Alaska, British Columbia and Kamchatka, Russia. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 51:147–157. , , , , , , and .
- 1995. Life history variation and population structure in sockeye salmon. American Fisheries Society Symposium 17:195–216.
- 2007. Tower counts. In D. H.Johnson, ed. Salmonid Field Protocols Handbook: Techniques for Assessing Status and Trends in Salmon and Trout Populations, pp. 363–384. American Fisheries Society, Bethesda, MD, USA.