Building evolutionary resilience for conserving biodiversity under climate change
Article first published online: 18 OCT 2010
© 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Special Issue: In the light of evolution: interdisciplinary challenges in food, health, and the environment
Volume 4, Issue 2, pages 326–337, March 2011
Total views since publication: 5526
How to Cite
Sgrò, C. M., Lowe, A. J. and Hoffmann, A. A. (2011), Building evolutionary resilience for conserving biodiversity under climate change. Evolutionary Applications, 4: 326–337. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2010.00157.x
- Issue published online: 17 FEB 2011
- Article first published online: 18 OCT 2010
- Received: 17 June 2010 Accepted: 7 July 2010 First published online: 18 October 2010
- 2009. From genes to ecosystems: a synthesis of the effects of plant genetic factors across levels of organization. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B 362:1607–1616. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Evolutionary pace of chromosomal polymorphism in colonizing populations of Drosophila subobscura: an evolutionary time series. Evolution 57:1837–1845. , , , , , , and .
- 2004. Identifying adaptive genetic divergence among populations from genome scans. Molecular Ecology 13:969–980. , and .
- 2006. The role of zooxanthellae in the thermal tolerance of corals: a ‘nugget’ of hope for coral reefs in an era of climate change. Proceedings of the Royal Society B 273:2305–2312. , and .
- 2007. Population adaptive index: a new method to help measure intraspecific geneytic diversity and prioritize populations for conservation. Conservation Biology 21:697–708. , , , , and .
- 2008. Genetic response to rapid climate change: it’s seasonal timing that matters. Molecular Ecology 17:157–166. , and .
- 2006. Sourcing seed for Acacia acinacea, a key revegetation species in south eastern Australia. Conservation Genetics 7:749–763. , , , and .
- 2008. Seed supply for broadscale restoration: maximising evolutionary potential. Evolutionary Applications 1:587–597. , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Population management:potential impacts of advances in genomics. New Forests 34:187–206. , and .
- 1995. Evolution and extinction in a changing environment – a quantitative-genetic analysis. Evolution 49:151–163. , and .
- 2009. Congruence between environmental parameters, morphology and genetic structure in Australia’s most widely distributed eucalypt, Eucalyptus camaldulensis. Tree Genomics & Genomes 5:189–210. , , and .
- 1964. Provenance research: investigation of genetic diversity associated with geography. Unasylva 18:40–50.
- 2009. Adaptive phenotpyic plasticity in response to climate change in a wild bird population. Science 320:800–803. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Adaptation, plasticity, and extinction in a changing environment: towards a predictive theory. PLoS Biology 8:e1000357. , , and .
- 2009. Migration-selection balance and local adaptation of mitochondrial haplotypes in rufoucollared sparrows (Zonotrichia capensis) along an elevational gradient. Evolution 63:1593–1605. , and .
- 2001. Rapid plant diversification: planning for an evolutionary future. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 98:5452–5457. , and .
- 2009. A multifacted approach to species conservation. Animal Conservation 12:105–106.
- 1997. Preserving the information content of species: genetic diversity, phylogeny, and conservation worth. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 28:243–268.
- 2004. Field transplants reveal summer constraints on a butterfly range expansion. Oecologia 141:148–157.
- 2008. The California Hotspots Project: identifying regions of rapid diversification of mammals. Molecular Ecology 17:120–138. , , , , and .
- 2008. Impacts of climate warming on terrestrial ectotherms across latitude. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 105:6668–6672. , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Local adaptation in four Iris species tsted in a common garden experiment. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 98:267–277. , , and .
- 2008. Implications of climate change for Australia’s National Reserve System: A Preliminary Assessment. A Report to the Department of Climate Change, February 2008. Department of Climate Change, Canberra, Australia. , and .
- 2007. Between a rock and a hard place: evaluating the relative risks of inbreeding and outbreeding for conservation and management. Molecular Ecology 16:463–475.
- 2001. Constraint to adaptive evolution in response to global warming. Science 294:151–154. , and .
- 2009. Networks of spatial genetic variation across species. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 10:19044–19049. , , , , and .
- 2008. Genetic adaptation to captivity in species conservation programs. Molecular Ecology 17:325–333.
- 2002. Introduction to Conservation Genetics. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. , , and .
- 2001. Environmental surrogates for predicting and conserving adaptive genetic variability in tree species. Conservation Biology 15:1632–1644. , and .
- 2009. Frontiers in developing conservation units: from neutral markers to adaptive genetic variation. Animal Conservation 12:107–109. , , , , , , et al.
- 1995. Relationship between climate and provenance variation in Eucalyptus camaldulensis Dehnh. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 22:453–460. , , and .
- 2008. Quantifying and managing the loss of genetic variation in a free-ranging population of takahe through the use of pedigrees. Conservation Genetics 9:645–651. , and .
- 2000. Ecological resilience – in theory and application. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 31:425–439.
- 2010. The misuse of BLUP in ecology and evolution. American Naturalist 175:116–125. , , , , and .
- 2010. A global conservation system for climate change adaptation. Conservation Biology 24:70–77.
- 2005. The view from the cape. Extinction risk, protected areas, and climate change. BioScience 55:231–242. , , , and .
- 2007. Protected area needs in a changing climate. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 5:131–138. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Constraints and reinforcement on adaptation under climate change: selection of genetically correlated traits. Biological Conservation 137:599–609. , and .
- 2010. Evolutionary biology in biodiversity science, conservation, and policy: a call to action. Evolution 64:1517–1528. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. A quantiative survey of local adaptation and fitness trade-offs. The American Naturalist 173:579–588.
- 2008. Assisted colonization and rapid climate change. Science 321:345–346. , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Climatic selection on genes and traits after a 100 year-old invasion: a critical look at the temperate-tropical clines in Drosophila melanogaster from eastern Australia. Genetica 129:133–147. , and .
- 2008. Detecting genetic responses to environmental change. Nature Reviews Genetics 9:1–12. , and .
- 2008. Limitations to reproductive output and genetic rescue in populations of the rare shrub Grevillea repens (Proteaceae). Annals of Botany 102:1031–1041. , , and .
- 2007. Climate change and moving species: furthering the debate on assisted colonization. Conservation Biology 21:1356–1358.
- 2006. Inbreeding and endangered species management: is New Zealand out of step with teh rest of the world? Conservation Biology 20:38–47. , , and .
- 2007. Does habitat fragmentation reduce fitness and adaptability? A case study of the common frog (Rana temporaria). Molecular Ecology 16:2693–2700. , , and .
- 2009. A role for assisted evolution in designing native plant materials for domesticated landscapes. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 7:541–547. , and .
- 2007. A spatial analysis method (SAM) to detect candidate loci for selection: towards a landscape genomics approach to adaptation. Molecular Ecology 16:3955–3969. , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Integrating biophysical models and evolutionary theory to predict climatic impacts on species’ ranges: the dengue mosquito Aedes aegypti in Australia. Functional Ecology 23:528–538. , , , , and .
- 2000. Genetic introgression from distant provenances reduces fitness in local weed populations. Journal of Applied Ecology 37:647–659. , , and .
- 2006. Very low additive genetic variance and evolutionary potential in multiple populations of two rainforest Drosophila species. Evolution 60:1104–1108. , , , and .
- 2009. Fundamental evolutionary limits in ecological traits drive Drosophila species distributions. Science 325:1244–1246. , , , and .
- 2009. Heritability of and strong single gene (Pgi) effects on life history traits in the Glanville fritillary butterfly. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 22:1944–1953. , and .
- 2008. Integrating GIS-based environmental data into evolutionary biology. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 23:141–148. , , and .
- 2008. New answers for old questions: the evolutionary quantitative genetics of wild animal populations. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 39:525–548. , , and .
- 2004. Gap analysis of conserved genetic resources for forest trees. Conservation Biology 18:412–423. , , , , and .
- 2007. In situ gene conservation of six conifers in western Washington and Oregon. Western Journal of Applied Forestry 22:176–187. , , , , and .
- 2009. Joint effects of inbreeding and local adaptation on the evolution of genetic load after fragmentation. Conservation Biology 23:1618–1627. , , , , and .
- 1993. Evolution and extinction in response to environmental change. In P. M.Kareiva, J. G.Kingsolver, and R. B.Huey, eds. Biotic Interactions and Global Change, pp. 234–250. Sinauer Associates Inc., Sunderland, Massachusetts. , and .
- 2008. Evolutionary biology and practical conservation: bridging a widening gap. Molecular Ecology 17:9–19. , and .
- 2007. Towards a scientific framework for the Wild Country project. In J.Wu, and R. J.Hobbs, eds. Key Topics and Perspectives in Landscape Ecology, pp. 192–208. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Protected Area Planning and Management for Eastern Australian Temperate Forests and Woodland Ecosystems. Protected Areas: Buffering Nature Against Climate Change, Sydney, Australia. WWF-Australia, Sydney. , and .
- 2002. Adaptive population divergence: markers, QTL and traits. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 17:285–291. , and .
- 2005. “How local is local?”– a review of practical and conceptual issues in the genetics of restoration. Restoration Ecology 13:432–440. , , , and .
- 2007. A frmework for debate of assisted migration in an era of climate change. Conservation Biology 21:297–302. , , and .
- 2007. Circuit theory predicts gene flow in plant and animal populations. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 104:19885–19890. , and .
- 2008. Restoration demography and genetics of plants: when is a translocation successful? Australian Journal of Botany 56:187–196.
- 2009. Translocations of eight species of burrow-nesting seabirds (genera Pterodromoa, Pelecanoides, Pachyptila and Puffinus: Family Procellariidae). Biological Conservation 142:1965–1980. , , , and .
- 2008. Rapid loss of genetic variation in an endangered possum. Biology Letters 4:134–138. , , , and .
- 2002. Strategies to protect biological diversity and the evolutionary processes that sustain it. Systematic Biology 51:238–254.
- 2009. Historical biogeography, diversity and conservation of Australia’s tropical rainforest herpetofauna. In A.Purvis, J. L.Gittleman, and T.Brooks, eds. Phylogeny and Conservation, pp. 243–267. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. , , , , and .
- 2007. Provenance variation of ecologically important traits of forest trees: implications for restoration. Journal of Applied Ecology 44: pp. 583–595. , , and .
- 2009. The dynamics of phenotypic change and teh shrinking sheep of St. Kilda. Science 325:464–467. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Ecological and evolutionary responses to recent climate change. Annual Review of Ecology Evolution and Systematics 37:637–669.
- 2009. A landscape genetics approach for quantifying the relative influence of historic and contemporary habitat heterogeneity on the genetic connectivity of a rainforest bird. Molecular Ecology 18:2945–2960. , , , , and .
- 2009. Translocation experiments with butterflies reveal limits to enhancement of poleward populations under climate change. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 106:11160–11165. , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Conservation planning in a changing world. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 22:583–592. , , , , and .
- 2009. Elucidating the role of genetic drift and natural selection in cork oak differentiation regarding drought tolerance. Molecular Ecology 18:3803–3815. , , , , , and .
- 2001. How closely correlated are molecular and quantitative measures of genetic variation? A meta-analysis. Evolution 55:1095–1103. , and .
- 2007. Molecular ecology of global change. Molecular Ecology 16:3973–3992. , and .
- 2005. Ecosystem recovery after climatic extremes enhanced by genotypic diversity. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 102:2826–2831. , , , and .
- 2009. Assisted colonization is not a viable conservation strategy. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 24:248–253. , and .
- 2003. Managing microevolution: restoration in the face of global change. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 1:469–478. , and .
- 2009. Multidimensional evaluation of managed relocation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 106:9721–9724. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Fingerprints of global warming on wild animals and plants. Nature 421:57–60. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Designing large-scale conservation corridors for pattern and process. Conservation Biology 20:549–561. , , , , and .
- 1999. A test of alternative models of diversification in tropical rainforests: ecological gradient vs. rainforest refugia. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 96:13869–13873. , , , and .
- 2004. The role of connectivity in Australian conservation. Pacific Conservation Biology 10:266–279. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Most species are not driven to extinction before genetic factors impact them. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 101:15261–15264. , , and .
- 2005. Using genome scans of DNA polymorphisms to infer adaptive population divergence. Molecular Ecology 14:671–688.
- 2009. Terrestrial orchid conservation in the age of extinction. Annals of Botany 104:543–556. , and .
- 2007. Protected Areas: Buffering Nature Against Climate Change, Sydney, Australia. WWF-Australia, Sydney. , and .
- 2004. Extinction risk from climate change. Nature 427:145–148. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Forecasting the limits of resilience: integrating empirical research with theory. Proceedings of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 276:3209–3217. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. A rapid shift in a classic clinal pattern in Drosophila reflecting climate change. Science 308:691–693. , , , , and .
- 2008. Are hotspots of evolutionary potential adequately protected in southern California? Biological Conservation 141:1648–1664. , , , , and .
- 2009. Altitudinal variation in Pinus hartwegii Lindl. I: height growth, shoot phenology and frost damage in seedlings. Forest Ecology and Management 257:836–842. , , , , , and .
- 2001. Recent forest encroachment into subalpine grasslands near Mount Hotham, Victoria, Australia. Arctic Antarctic and Alpine Research 33:369–377. , and .
- 2006. A framework for community and ecosystem genetics: from genes to ecosystems. Nature Reviews Genetics 7:510–523. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Neutral additive genetic variance in a metapopulation. Genetical Research 74:215–221.
- 2001. Is local provenance important in habitat creation? Journal of Applied Ecology 38:1371–1373.
- 2008. Demographic factors and genetic variation influence population persistence under environmental change. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 22:124–133. , and .
- 2006. Limits to the adaptive potential of small populations. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 37:433–478. , , and .
- 2003. Climate change in Australian tropical forests: an impending environmental catastrophe. Proceedings of the Royal Society, London, Series B: Biological Sciences 270:1887–1892. , , and .