Past evolutionary tradeoffs represent opportunities for crop genetic improvement and increased human lifespan
Version of Record online: 12 OCT 2010
© 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Special Issue: In the light of evolution: interdisciplinary challenges in food, health, and the environment
Volume 4, Issue 2, pages 216–224, March 2011
How to Cite
Denison, R. F. (2011), Past evolutionary tradeoffs represent opportunities for crop genetic improvement and increased human lifespan. Evolutionary Applications, 4: 216–224. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2010.00158.x
- Issue online: 17 FEB 2011
- Version of Record online: 12 OCT 2010
- Received: 12 August 2010 Accepted: 20 August 2010 First published online: 12 October 2010
- 2004. Regulation of C. elegans longevity by specific gustatory and olfactory neurons. Neuron 41:45–55. , and .
- 2010. A public choice framework for controlling transmissible and evolving diseases. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 107:1696–1701. , , and .
- 1980. Genetic improvements in winter wheat yields since 1900 and associated physiological changes. Journal of Agricultural Science, Cambridge 94:675–689. , , , , , , and .
- 2003. Insulin/IGF-I-signaling pathway: an evolutionarily conserved mechanism of longevity from yeast to humans. American Journal of Physiology Endocrinology and Metabolism 285:E1064–E1071. , , , and .
- 1983. Crop mimicry in weeds. Economic Botany 37:255–282.
- 1978. Interdependence of nitrogen nutrition and photosynthesis in Pisum sativum L. II. Host plant response to nitrogen fixation by Rhizobium strains. Plant Physiology 62:131–133. , , and .
- 2009. Trade-off between age of first reproduction and survival in a female primate. Biology Letters 5:339–342.
- 2003. Mortality and morbidity in laboratory-maintained rhesus monkeys and effects of long-term dietary restriction. The Journals of Gerontology. Series A, Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences 58:B212–B219. , , , , and .
- 2004. Breeding for high water-use efficiency. Journal of Experimental Botany 55:2447–2460. , , , and .
- 1976. The Selfish Gene. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 2000. Legume sanctions and the evolution of symbiotic cooperation by rhizobia. American Naturalist 156:567–576.
- 2007. When can intelligent design of crops by humans outperform natural selection? In J. H. J.Spiertz, P. C.Struik, and H. H.van Laar, eds. Scale and Complexity in Plant Systems Research: Gene-Plant-Crop Relations, pp. 287–302. Springer, Dordrecht.
- 2009. Darwinian agriculture: real, imaginary and complex tradeoffs as constraints and opportunities. In V. O.Sadras, and D. F.Calderini, eds. Crop Physiology: Applications for Genetic Improvement and Agronomy, pp. 215–234. Elsevier, Amsterdam.
- 2005. Sustainable crop nutrition: constraints and opportunities. In M.Broadley, ed. Plant Nutritional Genomics, pp. 242–264. Blackwell Publishing, Oxford. , and .
- 2003. Darwinian agriculture: when can humans find solutions beyond the reach of natural selection? Quarterly Review of Biology 78:145–168. , , and .
- 2010. Individual fitness versus whole-crop photosynthesis: solar tracking tradeoffs in alfalfa. Evolutionary Applications 3:466–472. , , and .
- 2007. Soft drink consumption and risk of developing cardiometabolic risk factors and the metabolic syndrome in middle-aged adults in the community. Circulation 116:480–488. , , , , , , et al.
- 1968. The breeding of crop ideotypes. Euphytica 17:385–403.
- 2000. Herbicide-resistant Echinochloa oryzoides and E. phyllopogon in California Oryza sativa fields. Weed Science 48:225–230. , , , and .
- 1966. The moulding of senescence by natural selection. Journal of Theoretical Biology 12:12–45.
- 1968 The tragedy of the commons. Science 162:1243–1248.
- 1997. The occurrence of herbicide-resistant weeds worldwide. Pesticide Science 51:235–243.
- 2003. Lifespan extension of Drosophila melanogaster through hormesis by repeated mild heat stress. Biogerontology 4:149–156. , , and .
- 2003. IGF-1 receptor regulates lifespan and resistance to oxidative stress in mice. Nature 421:182–187. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Reproduction and lifespan: trade-offs, overall energy budgets, intergenerational costs, and cost neglected by research. American Journal of Human Biology 21:524–532.
- 1968. Studies on competition in rice. I. Competition in mixtures of varieties. Evolution 22:119–124. , and .
- 2007. Chloroplastic photorespiratory bypass increases photosynthesis and biomass production in Arabidopsis thaliana. Nature Biotechnology 25:593–599. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Phylogenetic aspects of the evolution of C4 photosynthesis. In R. F.Sage, and R. K.Monson, eds. C4 Plant Biology, pp. 411–444. Academic Press, San Diego.
- 1999. Green revolution: preparing for the 21st century. Genome 42:646–655.
- 2003. Host sanctions and the legume-rhizobium mutualism. Nature 425:78–81. , , , and .
- 2007. Human selection and the relaxation of legume defences against ineffective rhizobia. Proceedings of the Royal Society B 274:3119–3126. , , and .
- 2000. Comparative evolutionary analysis of chalcone synthase and alcohol dehydrogenase loci in Arabidopsis, Arabis, and related genera (Brassicaceae). Molecular biology and evolution 17:1483–1498. , , and .
- 2002. Direct estimates of human per nucleotide mutation rates at 20 loci causing Mendelian diseases. Human Mutation 21:12–27.
- 2007. Regulation of Drosophila life span by olfaction and food-derived odors. Science 315:1133–1137. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Dietary intake and the development of the metabolic syndrome: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities study. Circulation 117:754–761. , , and .
- 1999. Genetic engineers aim to soup up crop photosynthesis. Science 283:314–316.
- 2008. More crop per drop. Nature 452:273–277.
- 2000. How to express some C4 photosynthesis genes at high levels in rice. In J. E.Sheehy, P. L.Mitchell, and B.Hardy, eds. Redesigning Rice Photosynthesis to Increase Yield, pp. 167–175. Elsevier, Amsterdam. , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Neurohormetic phytochemicals: low-dose toxins that induce adaptive neuronal stress responses. Trends in Neurosciences 29:632–639. , and .
- 1958. Prolongation of the life of Drosophila subobscura by a brief exposure of adults to a high temperature. Nature 181:496–497.
- 2004. Maize selection passes the century mark: a unique resource for 21st century genomics. Trends in plant science 9:358–364. , , and .
- 2007. Plant nuclear factor Y (NF-Y) B subunits confer drought tolerance and lead to improved corn yields on water-limited acres. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 104:16450–16455. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Tansley review: controlling the reproductive fate of rhizobia: how universal are legume sanctions? New Phytologist 183:967–979. , , and .
- 2005. Special issue on dietary restriction: dietary restriction, longevity and ageing – the current state of our knowledge and ignorance. Mechanisms of ageing and development 126:911–912. , and .
- 2008. The blue revolution, drop by drop, gene by gene. Science 320:171–173.
- 2005. Starvation in humans: evolutionary background and contemporary implications. Mechanisms of Ageing and Development 126:976–981.
- 2009. When stress predicts a shrinking gene pool, trading early reproduction for longevity can increase fitness, even with lower fecundity. PLoS ONE 4:e6055. , , , and .
- 2002. Selection for reduced carbon isotope discrimination increases aerial biomass and grain yield of rainfed bread wheat. Crop Science 42:739–745. , , , and .
- 2006. Physiological effects on demography: a long-term experimental study of testosterone’s effects on fitness. American Naturalist 167:667–683. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Variation in immune defence as a question of evolutionary ecology. Proceedings of the Royal Society B 270:357–366.
- 2006. An empirical test of partner choice mechanisms in a wild legume-rhizobium interaction. Proceedings of the Royal Society B 273:77–81. , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Fluctuating natural selection accounts for the evolution of diversification bet hedging. Proceedings of the Royal Society B 276:1987–1992.
- 1982. Genetic modification of photorespiration. Trends in Biochemical Sciences 7:171–174. , and .
- 2006. Despite slow catalysis and confused substrate specificity, all ribulose bisphosphate carboxylases may be nearly perfectly optimized. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 103:7246–7251. , , and .
- 2001. Glyphosate-resistant horseweed from Delaware. Weed Science 49:703–705.
- 2003. Ecology – the science of agriculture in the 21st century. Journal of Agricultural Science, Cambridge, 141:371–377.
- 2010. Evolutionary agroecology – the potential for cooperative, high-density, weed-suppressing cereals. Evolutionary Applications 3:473–479. , , , , and .
- 2002a. Sanctions and mutualism stability: when should less beneficial mutualists be tolerated? Journal of Evolutionary Biology 15:830–837. , , , and .
- 2002b. Sanctions and mutualism stability: why do rhizobia fix nitrogen? Proceedings of the Royal Society B 269:685–694. , , , and .
- 1957. Pleiotropy, natural selection, and the evolution of senescence. Evolution 11:398–411.
- 1993. Plant responses to past concentrations of CO2. Vegetatio 104/105:145–155.
- 2007. Glyphosate, paraquat and ACCase multiple herbicide resistance evolved in a Lolium rigidum biotype. Planta 225:499–513. , , and .
- 1975. Improving the efficiency of photosynthesis. Science 188:626–633.
- 1999. Donald’s ideotype and growth redundancy: a game theoretical analysis. Field Crops Research 61:179–187. , , and .