Hybridization effects on phenotypic plasticity: experimental compensatory growth in farmed-wild Atlantic salmon
Version of Record online: 12 OCT 2010
© 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 4, Issue 3, pages 444–458, May 2011
How to Cite
Morris, M. R. J., Fraser, D. J., Eddington, J. and Hutchings, J. A. (2011), Hybridization effects on phenotypic plasticity: experimental compensatory growth in farmed-wild Atlantic salmon. Evolutionary Applications, 4: 444–458. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2010.00159.x
- Issue online: 18 APR 2011
- Version of Record online: 12 OCT 2010
- Received: 3 August 2010 Accepted: 10 August 2010
- 2003. Compensatory growth in fishes: a response to growth depression. Fish and Fisheries 4:147–190. , , and .
- 1997. Adaptive intrinsic growth rates: an integration across taxa. The Quarterly Review of Biology 72:149–177.
- 2000. Population differences in the onset of cranial ossification in pumpkinseed (Lepomis gibbosus), a potential cost of rapid growth. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 57:351–356. , and .
- 2001. Scale strength as a cost of rapid growth in sunfish. Oikos 93:95–100. , , and .
- 2006. Unraveling the genetic basis of hybrid vigor. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 103:12957–12958. , , and .
- 1955. Compensatory growth of beef cattle: the effect of hay maturity. Journal of Animal Science 14:249–255.
- 1991. Morphometric Tools for Landmark Data. Cambridge University Press, New York, USA.
- 2005. Natural selection and genetic variation for reproductive reaction norms in a wild bird population. Evolution 59:1362–1371. , , , and .
- 1997. The occurrence and spawning of cultured Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) in a Canadian river. ICES Journal of Marine Science 54:1064–1073. , , , and .
- 2009. Genetic variability in reaction norms between farmed and wild backcrosses of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 66:83–90. , and .
- 2004. Phenotypic Plasticity: Functional and Conceptual Approaches. Oxford University Press, New York, New York. , and .
- 2008. Temperature-induced gene expression associated with different thermal reaction norms for growth rate. Journal of Experimental Zoology 310B:137–147. , , , and .
- 1997. Growth-enhanced transgenic salmon can be inferior swimmers. Canadian Journal of Zoology 75:335–337. , , and .
- 1997. Experimental tests of genetic divergence of farmed from wild Atlantic salmon due to domestication. ICES Journal of Marine Science 54:1051–1063. , and .
- 2007. Divergent compensatory growth responses within species: linked to contrasting migrations in salmon? Oecologia 153:543–553. , , , , and .
- 2008. Mixed evidence for reduced local adaptation in wild salmon resulting from interbreeding with escaped farmed salmon: complexities in hybrid fitness. Evolutionary Applications 1:501–512. , , , , and .
- 2010. Consequences of farmed-wild hybridization across divergent wild populations and multiple traits in salmon. Ecological Applications 20(4): 935–953. , , , , , and .
- 2007. A critical review of adaptive genetic variation in Atlantic salmon: implications for conservation. Biological Reviews 82:173–211. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Overwinter growth and survival of age-0 largemouth bass (Micropterus salmoides): revisiting the role of body size. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 55:2414–2424. , , and .
- 1998. East Coast salmon aquaculture breeding programs: history and future. Canadian Stock Assessment Secretariat. Research document 1998/157.
- 2000. Increased risk of predation as a cost of high growth rate: an experimental test in a butterfly. Journal of Animal Ecology 69:896–902.
- 1999. Ecological speciation in sticklebacks: environment-dependent hybrid fitness. Evolution 53:866–873. , and .
- 1996. Critical swimming velocity and associated morphology of juvenile coastal cutthroat trout (Oncorhynchus clarki clarki), steelhead trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss), and their hybrids. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 53:1487–1496. , and .
- 2006. Genetic and ecological effects of salmon farming on wild salmon: modelling from experimental results. ICES Journal of Marine Science 63:1234–1247. , , , and .
- 2010. Reduced anti-predator responses in multi-generational hybrids of farmed and wild Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.). Conservation Genetics 11(3): 785–794. , , and .
- 1991. The threat of extinction to native populations experiencing spawning intrusions by cultured Atlantic salmon. Aquaculture 98:119–132.
- 2006. Survival consequences of sex-biased growth and the absence of a growth-mortality trade-off. Functional Ecology 20:347–353.
- 1989. Ecological and physiological responses of Atlantic salmon in acidic organic rivers of Nova Scotia, Canada. Water, Air, and Soil Pollution 46:375–386.
- 2006. Reduced genetic diversity and effective population size in an endangered Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) population from Maine, USA. Conservation Genetics 7:91–104. , and .
- 2009. Differences in pathogen resistance within and among cultured, conservation-dependent, and endangered populations of Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar L. Environmental Biology of Fishes 84:69–78. , , , , and .
- 2009. Reduced swimming abilities in fast-growing transgenic common carp Cyprinus carpio associated with their morphological variations. Journal of Fish Biology 74:186–197. , , , , and .
- 1998. Genetics and Analysis of Quantitative Traits. Sinauer Associates Inc., Massachusetts, USA. , and .
- 2001. Social status, access to food, and compensatory growth in juvenile Atlantic salmon. Journal of Fish Biology 58:1331–1346. , and .
- 2005. Two generations of outbreeding in coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch): effects on size and growth. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 62:2538–2547. , , , , and .
- 2003. Fitness reduction and potential extinction of wild populations of Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar, as a result of interactions with escaped farm salmon. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B 270:2443–2450. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Effects of competition on the fitness of wild and crop-wild hybrid sunflower from a diversity of wild populations and crop lines. Evolution 60:2044–2055. , , and .
- 2001. Compensation for a bad start: grow now, pay later? Trends in Ecology and Evolution 16:254–260. , and .
- 2003. Growth versus lifespan: perspectives from evolutionary ecology. Experimental Gerontology 38:935–940. , and .
- 2008. The prevalence and recurrence of escaped farmed Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) in eastern North American rivers. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 65:2807–2826. , , , , , , and .
- 1997. Growth compensation in juvenile Atlantic salmon: responses to depressed temperature and food availability. Ecology 78:2385–2400. , and .
- 1999. Microsatellite genetic variation between and within farmed and wild Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) populations. Aquaculture 180:247–264. , , and .
- 1998. Transgenesis changes body and head shape in Pacific salmon. Journal of Fish Biology 52:850–854. , , and .
- 2000. Experimental analysis of hybridization in leopard frogs (Anura: Ranidae): larval performance in desiccating environments. Copeia 2000:11–19.
- 2008. Genetic variation in threshold reaction norms for alternative reproductive tactics in male Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar. Proceedings of the Royal Society B 275:1571–1575. , , and .
- 1999. Plasticity in filtering screens of Daphnia cucullata × galeata hybrids and parental species at two food concentrations. Oecologia 120:485–491. , , , and .
- 2006. Rapid parallel evolutionary changes of gene transcription profiles in farmed Atlantic salmon. Marine Ecology 15:9–20. , , , and .
- 2002. Experimentally manipulated growth rate in threespine sticklebacks: assessing trade offs with developmental stability. Experimental Biology of Fishes 63:67–78. , and .
- 2006. tpsRelw, Relative Warp Analysis, version 1.44. Department of Ecology and Evolution, State University of New York at Stony Brook.
- 1995. Evolutionary origin of a parthenoform, the Amazon molly Poecilia formosa, on the basis of a molecular genealogy. Evolution 49:827–835. , , , and .
- 1986. Phenotypic plasticity: an evolving plant character. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 29:37–47. , and .
- 2002. The covariance of routine and compensatory juvenile growth rates over a seasonality gradient in a coastal fish. Oecologia 133:501–509. , , and .
- 2001. Plasticity in water-use efficiency of Picea sitchensis, P. glauca and their natural hybrids. Oecologia 128:317–325. , , , and .
- 2006. Speciation in reverse: morphological and genetic evidence of the collapse of a three-spined stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus) species pair. Molecular Ecology 15:343–355. , , , , , and .
- 1999. Phenotypic plasticity in hybridizing Carpobrotus spp. (Aizoaceae) from coastal California and its role in plant invasion. Canadian Journal of Botany 77:1411–1418. , and .
- 2001. Predicting the risk of extinction through hybridization. Conservation Biology 15:1039–1053. , , and .